Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,876 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) (70070 Views)

Emir Sanusi: "If You Don't Have Money, Don't Give Birth To Many Children" / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 21, 2015
You are all idiots! angry angry cry cry cry
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:32pm On Nov 21, 2015
bulldoza:

Mumu

How much you get sef

Nothing.

Kidnappers plenty for NL these days
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by otiigba1(m): 12:33pm On Nov 21, 2015
lefulefu:
oyibo get time.dem go give thier dauther for freesmiley
yes o! Them go even give you money join with their daughter cheesy.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 21, 2015
obum88:

Embassies and high commissions are giving out visas. You can go elsewhere and try your luck
I won't! We must put an end to this primitiveness. This is one of the reasons Nigerians are seen as barbarians! Backward human beings! Smh...!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

I won't! We must put an end to this primitiveness. This is one of the reasons Nigerians are seen as barbarians! Backward human beings! Smh...!

Lol!

You are one funny dude

I don't see it as backwardness. You are missing a point.

What is culture?

When it's not good for the people they change it. You can't decide what custom people should take

1 Like

Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by collyno1985: 12:38pm On Nov 21, 2015
Guy na lie u talk......

We don't do like that.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by dazzlingd(m): 12:39pm On Nov 21, 2015
princejayboss:

Lets not kid around with every thing.

How much do you want to spend for marriage 2k naira?

People are really unbelievable.....

Assuming you want to marry...so you don't have to eat that day or drink.... Food and drink will obviously cost at least 200k considering the cost of things in Nigeria now

So people will sit on the floor not seat?

People will be under the sun ... No canopies ?

You will not buy your wife to be a good cloth and good shoes to wear that day?

Because you want it cheap ...you should also tell your own family to come by legs ... No transportation?

Or maybe that day on the traditional wedding you will not serve kola ?

Or maybe you will not provide the traditional right cos you want cheap article bah?

But you will spend such in your oyibo adopted white wedding?

Lets be realistic here.... There is no way a traditional wedding will not cost 500k at least.

If you think its too much for you then go find another girl from a cheap tribe but after everything you will still spend at least 300 to 400k

Because you think its costly will not change people tradition ok.

Am more concern about white wedding that oyibo brought for us.... .

Most people shouting its costly and all that are young boys who are not off age to marry or who are greedy that wants cheap things or people with no job.

When you are ready to marry... You should know

your opinion is highly noted sir....
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2015
obum88:

Lol!

You are one funny dude

What is culture?

When it's not good for the people they change it. You can't decide what custom people should take
It is tradition, a part of a culture and it is not a good one. I think the reason it is still alive in Igbo land is because of the profit the girls' family is making from it. It is the same thing that makes the South not to give up the slave trade until the North takes it to the battlefield with it . We need to take this to the law and stop this primitive act. Jeez! It is very annoying to say the least.

1 Like

Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by oluamid(m): 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

I think they are sold not married. Marriage is supposed to be unconditionally agreed on without any form of entitlement for monetary value placed on anybody as you would do with goods or commodities. Please... angry angry angry angry cry

Thank you.

Funny part is, when you raise an eyebrow over these ridiculous amounts, people will immediately tag you poor as if your financial situation should necessarily determine how you view outdated cultural practises.

We abuse whites for slavery all day when we are inadvertently doing the same thing in the guise of "tradition".

1 Like

Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

It is tradition, a part of a culture and it is not a good one. I think the reason it is still alive in Igbo land is because of the profit the girls' family is making from it. It is the same thing that makes the South not to give up the slave trade until the North takes it to the battlefield with it . We need to take this to the law and stop this primitive act. Jeez! It is very annoying to say the least.

So sorry bro

But when you have a daughter you can then start your agitation
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by ifyjohnson(f): 12:42pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

The stand on barbaric practice of selling fellow human being for money all in the name of f**king tradition. That is total bullsh*t! It is time to stop all the traditions in that hell hole! It is getting on my nerves! This is really pissing me off! Ptui! Smelling humans!

Bros relax I like people having fact before making any assertion like i said in my earlier post most persons come hear to post trash just to make fun of a particular tribe or tradition try to be a witness to these things and see how it been done before saying anything and believing everything you read on naira land see my dads younger sister got married last year when it was time to pay the bride price my dad told his potential in laws to bring anything they brought a 1000# my dad took 50# and returned 950# to them am talking about Ohafia in Abia state but when people came here to generalize it igbo this or that is what I find annoying so brother stop the abusive words you can make ur point without using abusive words.
My point is....................

Igbos don't sell their daughters at least my dad did not sell his younger sister's daughters.

Peace!!!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by ifeomaekol(f): 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2015
Op tell ur frd to talk to his to be in laws, it is nt must he ll pay dt 500k n again d wife to be shuld be able to talk to her parents n tell them d price list is way too much. He shuldnt be afriad, everything ll settle soon.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2015
oluamid:

Thank you.

Funny part is, when you raise an eyebrow over these ridiculous amounts, people will immediately tag you poor as if your financial situation should necessarily determine how you view outdated cultural practises.

We abuse whites for slavery all day when we are inadvertently doing the same thing in the guise of "tradition".
This is disgusting and shameful in the 21st century. The disturbing thing is that people are proud to support it. What the hell is wrong with many Nigerians? Huh!

Feminists would be very useful in fighting this f**king tradition!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Toks2008(m): 12:45pm On Nov 21, 2015
safarigirl:
I didn't men they don't cheat, I already replied the other confused fellow that what I meant is that cheating is not rampant in Igbo land compared to others

I advice you speak for yourself.

And for me i dont mind spending 1m on the list alone provided the girl is a virgin....the origin of bride price is hinged on chastity of the bride but these days,the greedy elders in the eastern part foolishly use this as a means of extorting men who still see their daughters worthy even when these same girls have been terribly scrwed by Emeka,paul,dare,their boss,their...

iranu abacha

Dont het me wrong,a guy can spend millions to marry any lady he loves even if she was a LovePeddler but no man must be compeled to pay crazy money to marry.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by oluamid(m): 12:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
obum88:

Lol!

You are one funny dude

What is culture?

Bros, if you know anything about culture then you'll know culture is dynamic and not static. This, in essence, means that culture allows for some practices to be dropped if it is deemed retrogressive or outdated.

Remember that at a time in this country, the killing of twins was cultural, same for making someone an outcast because they are 'osu'.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by otiigba1(m): 12:46pm On Nov 21, 2015
What the hell! Is a lovepeddler?
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2015
obum88:

So sorry bro

But when you have a daughter you can then start your agitation
Are you f**king serious or trying to get on my f**king nerves, you f**king f**k? I am not going to sell my daughter if I happens to have one. You twerp! angry lipsrsealed cry
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Aarenasbaba(m): 12:48pm On Nov 21, 2015
Sheybi den go marry den pikin dem self if @ 37 she no get husband
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by TruthHurts1(m): 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2015
Make sure you ask for a signed receipt. If there is a defect in the "product", store policy is that you are only entitled to a refund if you can present your receipt.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2015
oluamid:

Bros, if you know anything about culture then you'll know culture is dynamic and not static. This, in essence, means that culture allows for some practices to be dropped if it is deemed retrogressive or outdated.

Remember that at a time in this country, the killing of twins was cultural, same for making someone an outcast because they are 'osu'.

I expect people who have gone through the process of marriage to come and talk if they ever regret spending the money
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by yousee(m): 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2015
BCISLTD:

Bro..a decent hall alone can 700-1.5mill (budget 500k)
Drinks...700k
Food...400k
Clothing and other logistics 600k...

2mil no reach self

Hall? Do the reception in a primary school field...less expensive.
Drinks? 700k? Who I wan impress? The whole village abi state?

Most of these things can be cut down and done with less than that amount. It won't mean one is poor, or a miser, or not appreciative....

A decent wedding ceremony should cost less than 2 mil
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

Are you f**king serious or trying to get on my f**king nerves, you f**king f**k? I am not going to sell my daughter if I happens to have one. You twerp! angry lipsrsealed cry

Then you need to have more so that you can give it out for free. In fact, take one get two free
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 21, 2015
obum88:

Then you need to have more so that you can give it out for free. In fact, take one get two free
They are to marry based on their choices not based on some f**king tradition of selling them out as pieces of commodity for a price as in some parts of Igbo land!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by malachytochukwu(m): 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:
I can't and I won't pay 500K for those girls with male legs, ugly faces and strong a$$. I don't buy human beings. That is what slavery is all about yet will criticize white people for trading on blacks for farming in the Americas in the past here we are doing the same thing in modern times in Igbo land. F**k all Igbo people involved in this barbaric act! Ptui! angry angry angry cry
Waooo...... You sound so pained... Hope all is well dear.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by rudestmcblaze: 12:56pm On Nov 21, 2015
Na something like this cause one Edo guy to tell the girl's family say make them no vex but him no wan marry again
People wey dae write list make una dae remember say times are hard, marriage no b business for making money
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2015
malachytochukwu:
Waooo...... You sound so pained... Hope all is well dear.
I am because of seeing fellow human beings sold for a price in the name of effing tradition. An archaic tradition to rip people off!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2015
asuustrike2009:

what do you mean by poverty? Are you saying that he should steal to marry? In this 21st century families charge high bride price to give their daughters out and you except their son in-law s to be happy? Do you think after the marriage that there might be any closeness between the groom and his inlaws after coughing that huge amount? Are you aware such amount contribute indirectly to domestic violence in Nigeria

That's why I said, poverty. Uon have money. Stay the Bleep away from marriage hommie.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by morab90(m): 1:00pm On Nov 21, 2015
Eh eh eh, wonders shall never end. The World Today!
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2015
Demigods:

That's why I said, poverty. Uon have money. Stay the Bleep away from marriage hommie.
Marriage is about responsibility and it is inclusive of both genders. This idiotic claim of telling somebody to stay away of marriage because he is not ready to spend huge money in buying his wife from the girl family blackmailers is very annoying and primitive to me. You aren't civilized though.
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

why u dey put the matter on top head.abi u be igbo guy? Its not like its all tribes in nigeria that pay highly expensive dowries.in my state in edo if you want to marry the dowry is moderate and ok and so it is with some other states.why na igbo own dey pain u? Haba igbo men no complain so no reason for u to complain.na their culture.

1 Like

Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2015
all4naija:

They are to marry based on their choices not based on some f**king tradition of selling them out as pieces of commodity for a price as in some parts of Igbo land!

Amen to you that
Re: If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2015
Could this be one of the reasons Igbo young men are running around the world peddling drugs to make money to buy wives?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. / Nigerian Woman Kneels Down For Ooni Of Ife In America During Interaction (Photo) / See The Sacrifice They Dropped On My Neighbor's Doorstep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.