Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,446 members, 7,846,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

21-year-old Woman Took College Exam While In Labor - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 21-year-old Woman Took College Exam While In Labor (452 Views)

Federal Polytechnic Oko Students Write Exam While On Strike / How To Pass Any College Exam / Abiola, 21-Year-Old Nigerian Medical Doctor (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

21-year-old Woman Took College Exam While In Labor by centvin008(m): 4:13am On Nov 21, 2015
21-Year-Old Woman Who Took College Exam While in Labor Says, I Just 'Handled My Responsibilities'
BY CHAR ADAMS

A 21-year-old Georgia student stunned thousands after a photo of her taking a college exam while in labor made its way around the Internet. But the new mother tells PEOPLE that she simply did what she had to do.

"I didn't want to give an excuse," Tommitrise Collins, of Macon, Georgia, tells PEOPLE. "I made sure I just went ahead and did what I had to do, I handled my responsibilities."

She added: "I didn't want to get behind in my work."
Collins says her water broke at around 1 a.m. on Nov. 12 – just one week before she was set to deliver her daughter, Her online psychology test began just hours later at 8 a.m., but she "was hurting really bad by then," she says.

"I emailed my teacher to tell her that I was having contractions and that I was in labor and that I'm still going to take the test," the Middle Georgia State University student tells PEOPLE. "It was my decision, she didn't make me do anything."

Collins rushed to the Coliseum Medical Center, and at around 1:30 p.m., approximately 12 hours after her labor began, Collins took the test. She says that during that time, she was not taking any medication, so the "pain was real."

She finished the test in 90 minutes and ultimately ended up with a "B."
Unbeknownst to Collins, her sister, Shanell Brinkley-Chapman, took a picture of her while she was taking the test. Chapman snapped a photo of Collins sitting in the hospital bed with a laptop in front of her.

"I didn't know that she took the picture until after I gave birth," Collins said. "I finally looked on my phone and saw that people were 'liking' something and that [Shanell] tagged me in something.

She added: [Shanell] didn't know it was going to make this big of a deal, but we see where it got us."

But Collins hasn't been too preoccupied about the now-viral photo because after 20 hours of labor, she welcomed her daughter, Tyler Elise.
Collins, who is currently working toward her second college degree, says motherhood "feels great."

"It's one of the best feelings in the world. All of those quotes that you always hear about it, they're true," she tells PEOPLE. "I love it. Sometimes I just sit down and look at [Tyler] like, 'Wow, I really have a child now.' "

The determined mother, who has an associates degree in criminal justice, expects to graduate from the university with the same major in December 2016. Ultimately, she says, she hopes to work in the field of forensic science.

The single mother has set up a GoFundMe fundraising page to raise money to cover college expenses and help with caring for her daughter.

http://www.people.com/article/woman-exam-labor-baby-excuse-college?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Lalasticlala‎ This awesome!

Re: 21-year-old Woman Took College Exam While In Labor by kilokeys(m): 4:32am On Nov 21, 2015
Naija girls.. A lesson for u grin

It's not by pinging and laughing when ur bf is busy ramming u like an old bull...

Y'all can do better things..

(1) (Reply)

The Forgotten Treasure Of The Sahara Desert / Ibarapa Polytechnic 3rd Batch Cbt Exam Update (postjamb) / Criticism Vs Compliment: Which Does Our Society Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.