Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,741 members, 7,844,437 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

Mko Abiola The President We Never Had But We Could Still Have.. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Mko Abiola The President We Never Had But We Could Still Have.. (568 Views)

Bilikiss Adebiyi-abiola, The CEO Of Wecyclers, Appointed GM Lagos State Parks / The Aare Ona Kakanfo! The Untold Story Of How MKO Abiola Was Nearly Prevented / Ambode Lights Up M.K.O Abiola Garden And Many More Roads (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mko Abiola The President We Never Had But We Could Still Have.. by Logicalsoul(m): 7:09am On Nov 21, 2015
Chief Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, CFR (24 August 1937 – 7 July 1998), often referred to as M. K. O. Abiola, was a popular Nigerian Yoruba businessman, publisher, politician. He ran for the presidency in 1993, and is widely regarded as the presumed winner of the inconclusive election since no official final results were announced. He died in 1998, after being denied victory when the entire election results were dubiously annulled by the preceding military president Ibrahim Babangida because of alleged evidence that they were corrupt and unfair.
MKO was endeared by most Nigerians, not because of his philanthropic gesture but because he is a man of the people.. Till date he is still celebrated as a hero of democracy, not withstanding the military intimidation, misinformation, he is still being commemorated on June the 12th. He ran for the presidency not because he wanted to enrich himself or his immediate families, he ran because he wanted to affect lives positively, I could vividly remember how found and lovely I used to love Abiola milk, never asked why it was named so, but as I grew older it dawned on me how MKO Abiola really wanted to help The masses and he became famous for it. During political unrest in the early 1990 growing up in a city like Port Harcourt was quite peaceful and fun, I could recall a song sang by virtually all yoruba's I knew, it was like a national anthem, reminding Nigerians about the massive mismanagement and corruption endeared by the then military rulers. The parts of the song I could remember goes thus, E kigbe ole, Ole, Obasanjo, Ole, Babangida, Ole. MKO never enriched himself through politics. 
MKO showed entrepreneurial talents at a very young age, at the age of nine he started his first business selling firewood. He would wake up at dawn to go to the forest and gather firewood, which he would then cart back to town and sell before going to school, to support his old father and his siblings. He later founded a band at age fifteen where he would perform at various ceremonies in exchange for food. He eventually became famous enough to start demanding payment for his performances and used the money to support his family and his secondary education at the Baptist Boys High School Abeokuta, where he excelled. He was the editor of the school magazineThe Trumpeter.
MKO Abiola started his professional career in 1956 as a clerk in Barclays bank plc in Ibadan, he obviously furthered his education, hence receiving a distinction from the institute chartered accountants of Scotland. On his return to Nigeria he served in higher capacities at the Lagos state university, pfizer and eventually joining ITT corporation where he rose to the position of vice president Africa and middle East of the entire corporation. 
MKO sprang to national and international prominence through his philanthropic endeavours, 
From 1972 till his death MKO has been conferred with so many traditional titles by several traditional communities in response to his philanthropic gestures that built over 150 mosques, churches thereby fostering religious harmony. He built over 60 secondary schools, libraries, water projects in several States of federation. In this regard he won admiration among multifarious ethnic groups and religious divides in Nigeria.
Despite his popularity he suffered criticism but he was never detracted. 
Despite the annulment of 1993 elections, Nigerians still consider him the president we never had. He won admirations not because he was a business tycon, or because he wanted to become president, he became endeared by Nigerians because of he is a man of charisma and a man of the people. 
Very few Nigerian politicians can be regarded like MKO, a man of the people, who became famous not by his involment into politics but being MKO. He was a president we never had in 1993 but we could have a greater MKO in subsequent elections if we let out conscience be our guide and not our desire for enrichment, political or religious sentiments lead us blindly. 
I believe in his dream in making Nigeria a great nation. I believe in greater MKO we will soon know and celebrate.

(1) (Reply)

Another Post From Olamide / Mysterious Chicken Pecks Buyer’s Eyes In Asaba / Ten Type Of Post You Will Find On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.