Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run (823 Views)

Breaking News: One Boston Bombing Suspect Dead, Another On The Run / Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Killed After ShootOut, Second Suspect On The Run / Osama Bin Laden Fathered 4 Kids While On The Run (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by Truequest(m): 1:57pm On May 22, 2009
Police hunting for a New Zealand couple who allegedly fled the country after a bank mistakenly paid them $NZ10 million ($6 million) believe they traveled to Hong Kong.

New Zealand authorities have sought help from Interpol in locating the couple who disappeared May 7, two days after an employee error at Westpac bank paid them 100 times the amount they asked for.

TVNZ, a CNN television affiliate, named the couple as Leo Gao and his girlfriend Cara Young. Gao owned a gas station in Rotorua, a lakeside tourist town famous for its hot water springs and bubbling mud pools.

Police said Friday that the couple were believed to have traveled to Hong Kong.

"Enquiries to locate those individuals are continuing through Interpol in Hong Kong and official channels in Beijing," said Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey. Watch as 'millionaires' go on the run »

Police were not confirming the identities of those involved but they were working with the family of one of the individuals named in the media, Harvey said.

The family were shocked at their name being associated with the case, he added.

TVNZ said the couple applied for an overdraft from Westpac worth up to NZ$100,000 ($61,000).

However, on or about May 5, the bank erroneously put NZ$10 million ($6.1 million) into their bank account. What would you do in this situation?

The next day, the gas station closed its doors. And the day after, the couple went missing.

TVNZ said Westpac had confirmed that a customer had attempted to unlawfully transfer amounts totaling around NZ$6.7 million ($4.1 million).
Nearly NZ$3 million ($1.85 million) had been recovered and the bank was continuing to vigorously pursue the outstanding amount, Westpac Media relations manager Craig Dowling told the station

http://www.edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/22/new.zealand.millionaires.hunt/index.html

This goes to show that the colour of crime is not black rather it is in the depraved human nature.
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by JJYOU: 2:13pm On May 22, 2009
Truequest:

Police hunting for a New Zealand couple who allegedly fled the country after a bank mistakenly paid them $NZ10 million ($6 million) believe they traveled to Hong Kong.

New Zealand authorities have sought help from Interpol in locating the couple who disappeared May 7, two days after an employee error at Westpac bank paid them 100 times the amount they asked for.

TVNZ, a CNN television affiliate, named the couple as Leo Gao and his girlfriend Cara Young. Gao owned a gas station in Rotorua, a lakeside tourist town famous for its hot water springs and bubbling mud pools.

Police said Friday that the couple were believed to have traveled to Hong Kong.

"Enquiries to locate those individuals are continuing through Interpol in Hong Kong and official channels in Beijing," said Detective Senior Sergeant David Harvey. Watch as 'millionaires' go on the run »

Police were not confirming the identities of those involved but they were working with the family of one of the individuals named in the media, Harvey said.

The family were shocked at their name being associated with the case, he added.

TVNZ said the couple applied for an overdraft from Westpac worth up to NZ$100,000 ($61,000).

However, on or about May 5, the bank erroneously put NZ$10 million ($6.1 million) into their bank account. What would you do in this situation?

The next day, the gas station closed its doors. And the day after, the couple went missing.

TVNZ said Westpac had confirmed that a customer had attempted to unlawfully transfer amounts totaling around NZ$6.7 million ($4.1 million).
Nearly NZ$3 million ($1.85 million) had been recovered and the bank was continuing to vigorously pursue the outstanding amount, Westpac Media relations manager Craig Dowling told the station

http://www.edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/05/22/new.zealand.millionaires.hunt/index.html

This goes to show that the colour of crime is not black rather it is in the depraved human nature.
not really. nigerians would have just reported the error and walk away
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by Truequest(m): 3:01pm On May 22, 2009
JJYOU:

not really. nigerians would have just reported the error and walk away

Hope we are on the same page?
As it is difficult for me to tell the why of your response.
If it is what I think then you have got me wrong.
Never said all Nigerians will return the money.
Did not even mention Nigeria in my post but Black race
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by MrCrackles(m): 3:04pm On May 22, 2009
Lolz! grin
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by DisGuy: 10:42pm On May 23, 2009

is it really crime though? i mean if you read the fine prints theres a place it says
mistakes made during online transactions will be the responsibility of the user

so na their wahala be that!
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by TOYOSI20(f): 12:10am On May 24, 2009
Truequest:

What sorta careless bank error is this?? shocked shocked, sounds like an inside job if u ask me though undecided
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by Truequest(m): 3:00pm On May 25, 2009
TOYOSI20:

What sorta careless bank error is this?? shocked shocked, sounds like an inside job if u ask me though undecided
Strong point for the police but I can tell you it does happen once in awhile but such mistake is
not detected early enough is the issue. The other I was in one of the popular market here to
shop when one guy that had just returned from the bank suddenly realised he was overpaid
by 100k, we encouraged him to return the money he did and the lady at the counter was short
of words. It does happen I mistake do happen but when it happens it is now left for the receiver
to either return it or take flight as in this case.
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by naliakar: 1:35am On May 26, 2009
So we have many Nigerians in Newzeland. Hail Naija
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by toshmann(m): 3:57pm On May 26, 2009
grin grin grin

i no blame the couple abeg grin , if na nigerians them for go do thanksgiving for church, give tithe, get pastor's blessings for the manna from above, and then disappear grin grin

if na me, bros i go enter space ship grin grin grin

next destination. . . . . mars cool
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by iniguy(m): 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2009
Run
couple
run
Re: Couple Overpayed By Bank On The Run by Truequest(m): 3:15pm On Jun 02, 2009
iniguy:

Run
couple
run

I beg to defer

(1) (Reply)

Over 1000 Nigerians On Death Row In Libya Repatriated! Back In Our Society! / Obama To Add Venezuela To Terror-sponsor List / Should The Pictures Of The Dead Osama Bin Laden Be Released?What's Your Opinion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.