Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,030 members, 7,835,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Halliburton: Md Yusufu Quizzed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Halliburton: Md Yusufu Quizzed (648 Views)

Bayo Ojo Quizzed By EFCC Over $1.2B Malabu Scam / Letter To Buhari From The Grave Of The Innocents – By Bashir Yusufu / Letter To Buhari From The Grave Of The Innocents – By Bashir Yusufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Halliburton: Md Yusufu Quizzed by moneygurl: 7:12pm On May 22, 2009
ABUJA — THE five-man inter-agency panel headed by Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Mike Okiro, probing the $190 million Halliburton bribery scam, yesterday in Abuja interrogated former Inspector-General of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Dikko Yusufu over the allegation that he played a role in the $190 million disbursement.

The former IG, who was with the panel for about 45 minutes, was however allowed to go home after the panel concluded the interrogation.

His appearance before the Okiro panel is however coming on the heels of an appeal by former head of the National Security Organisation (NSO), Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi, to the panel that he be given a few days before his appearance, to enable him sort out some of his engagements.

Meanwhile, Vanguard can report authoritatively that key players in the nation’s oil industry, listed to appear before the panel, are allegedly making spirited attempts to evade collection of their invitation letters from the panel.

Vanguard gathered that when invitation letters were taken to the headquarters of the NNPC and Ministry of Petroleum for delivery to those concerned, both government agencies tactfully refused the letters.

Already, Vanguard gathered that immediate past Group Managing Director of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Mr. Funso Kupolokun received his letter of invitation by the panel yesterday.

Panel didn't invite me —Etiebet

However, former Petroleum Minister, Chief Don Obot Etiebet denied strongly yesterday that he had anything to do with the scam, and insisted that he had not been invited, either in letter or on telephone by the special investigation panel.

His words: I was never involved in the sharing of the Halliburton bribe money. Two or three years ago the House of Representatives committee invited me, then chairman of LNG, oil companies to a public hearing in which I made my presentation. I was never involved in the scam. Up till now, the Okiro panel has not invited me.

“I am very incensed, embarrassed, and red mad hot by this publication including my name because as of this moment I have neither got a phone call nor received a letter from the Okiro panel on the Halliburton case inviting me.

“In fact, on seeing this headline this morning, I telephoned my Special Assistant in Abuja, Mr Obi Obewe to rush to the Police Headquarters to enquire with the panel, with a copy of Vanguard in hand, whether they had invited me. He met a member of the panel who told him that I had not been invited.”

I know nothing of contract — Daukoru

Also yesterday, former Minister of State for Petroleum and the Amanyanabo of Grand Nembe Kingdom in Bayelsa State, Dr. Edmund Daukoru, has denied knowledge of the $190 million Halliburton bribery.

He said in Abuja, yesterday, through an aide that the contract had been awarded long before he was appointed into the cabinet of former President Olusegun Obasanjo and therefore knew nothing about the contract.

The Amanyanabo also denied reports that he was invited and questioned by the Okiro panel set up by President Umaru Yar’Adua to investigate the scam in which many top former government officials have been named as beneficiaries.

According to him, he was in Jos on Wednesday and was not anywhere near the Police headquarters for questioning.
The former minister said he was a man of high integrity who served the nation meritoriously while in office and therefore could not have been involved in fraudulent deals whatsoever.

He expressed sadness at what he described as the burden of serving the nation, as according to him, there was a negative attitude towards all who had served in government and that it was painful for a person like him who put in their best to grow the oil and gas sector of the economy.

Meanwhile sources said the questioning of top former government functionaries continued in Abuja yesterday.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/1/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36399&Itemid=42

How many weeks left till the 8 weeks the Halliburton panel said they will name names.

(1) (Reply)

The Massacre In Niger-delta / Gov Fashola Leading The Chart! / The Politicians Are Worst Than Militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.