Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,666 members, 7,823,884 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? (29181 Views)

The Bamiloye Celebrate 27 Years Of Marriage With A Throw Back Pix Of The Wife / Spending Easter In Hotel Or Church Which Is Better / God's Will In Marriage: Does That Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by ScanLess: 12:57pm On May 23, 2009
People, which type of marriage does God recognise, is it the traditional one or the court one or the church wedding. i have noticed that in nigeria today intending couples ,especially Christians, are going through fire and rain to appease all the three institutions mentioned above, before they are considered married. is this not doing tripple marriage?

So i ask which one is accepted by God as the real one, outside which God will consider such a union unholy.must Christians be forced to appease traditional people in the villages ,who are just there to milk them of their resources without caring how the marriage survives later, even when some churches have made it clear to their congregation that they (church) do not recognise traditional marriage but only church wedding, yet they impose the same traditional marriage on the intending couples as a requirement to qualify for the church wedding. is this not hypocrisy?. many churches today are filled with young and old spinsters doing endless night vigils to procure a husband and they are being exploited by all kinds of spiritual charlatans. In the west you either do church or court wedding simple, but here we heap up gruesome burdens upon ourselves. can someone say something on this.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by JJYOU: 1:13pm On May 23, 2009
ScanLess:

People, which type of marriage does God recognise, is it the traditional one  or the court one or the church wedding. i have noticed that in nigeria today intending couples ,especially Christians,  are going through  fire and rain to appease all the three institutions mentioned above, before they are considered married. is this not doing tripple marriage?

So i ask which one is accepted by God as the real one, outside which God will consider such a union unholy.must Christians  be forced to appease traditional people in the villages ,who are just there to milk them of their resources without caring how the marriage survives later, even when some churches have made it clear to their congregation that they (church) do not recognise traditional marriage but only church wedding, yet they impose the same traditional marriage on the intending couples as a requirement to qualify for the church wedding. is this not hypocrisy?. many churches  today are filled with young and old spinsters doing endless night vigils to procure a husband and they are being exploited by all kinds of spiritual charlatans. In the west you either do church or court wedding simple, but here we heap up gruesome burdens upon ourselves. can someone say something on this.
you are responsible for your life.  no church, society should be able to control you against your will.
wedding is only for a day marriage a life time. the choice is always ours.

God's word says " Mark 7:13 (New International Version)

Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that."
Mark 7:13 (Amplified Bible)

13Thus you are nullifying and making void and of no effect [the authority of] the Word of God through your tradition, which you [in turn] hand on. And many things of this kind you are doing.
Mark 7:13 (New Living Translation)

13 And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.”
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Nimshi: 1:25pm On May 23, 2009
Interesting question.

If you meant the Bible God, you can be certain he doesn't give a damn; plenty examples in the bible.

Take Adam & Eve; if there was any ceremony, it was a showing: bible God shows pretty Eve to observant Adam (observant, cos, he ain't no fool; he's certainly seen the dogs and other animals getting it on; and he's sure to have wondered why he's not getting any. . . ); so God brings Eve to Adam, and dude gets the story; wham bam: they're together.

Or take Isaac & Becky: they the slave guy only had to find the babe, and the marriage was done. Plenty more examples. But you gotta note: as time went on, the society became involved; so Jacob had to serve 7 years, get duped, and another 7 years before getting the babe he really wanted. These days, the society is the government; so it's smart to meet the minimum requirements. Look, you could get away with the common law arrangement in Naija, but elsewhere, say in Europe, you need a paper; something signed; there's a reason solid institutions need such a paper. So, there's the registry; that's the cheapest these days; it's really a blessing. Get your lady there, have witnesses, and you're married, and, you could be sure, Almighty God is happy with that.

Now, with the family: don't 'damn' them; family's important. you could keep people on your side and not have to spend money you don't have. If you could talk and have a good disposition, you should be able to find that nice uncle on the other side, or a wise big cousin of the woman, or somebody to see reason with the financial situation with the young couple. . . nice to keep family on your side; heck, God likes it.

Now, long story short: God is happy as the state is happy; most states're happy with the minimum requirement of a signed thing from the registry.

The rest is icing; and all the sugar isn't even good for your health.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by JJYOU: 9:09am On May 25, 2009
Nimshi:

Interesting question.

If you meant the Bible God, you can be certain he doesn't give a damn; plenty examples in the bible.

Take Adam & Eve; if there was any ceremony, it was a showing: bible God shows pretty Eve to observant Adam (observant, cos, he ain't no fool; he's certainly seen the dogs and other animals getting it on; and he's sure to have wondered why he's not getting any. . . ); so God brings Eve to Adam, and dude gets the story; wham bam: they're together.

Or take Isaac & Becky: they the slave guy only had to find the babe, and the marriage was done. Plenty more examples. But you gotta note: as time went on, the society became involved; so Jacob had to serve 7 years, get duped, and another 7 years before getting the babe he really wanted. These days, the society is the government; so it's smart to meet the minimum requirements. Look, you could get away with the common law arrangement in Naija, but elsewhere, say in Europe, you need a paper; something signed; there's a reason solid institutions need such a paper. So, there's the registry; that's the cheapest these days; it's really a blessing. Get your lady there, have witnesses, and you're married, and, you could be sure, Almighty God is happy with that.

Now, with the family: don't 'damn' them; family's important. you could keep people on your side and not have to spend money you don't have. If you could talk and have a good disposition, you should be able to find that nice uncle on the other side, or a wise big cousin of the woman, or somebody to see reason with the financial situation with the young couple. . . nice to keep family on your side; heck, God likes it.

Now, long story short: God is happy as the state is happy; most states're happy with the minimum requirement of a signed thing from the registry.

The rest is icing; and all the sugar isn't even good for your health.

give me ice any day. i hate sugar.
seriously, why cant people do what they can afford.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by ScanLess: 9:50am On May 25, 2009
@JJYOU
its not about what you can afford or not, its about imposition. a guy wants to marry and the lady's people are demanding almost half a million as if she is for sale. the guy can afford to go to the court and do it , but he finds out it is not acceptable to the lady's family and his church. you see these two institutions that he is stuck with just wants to make life difficult for him.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by JJYOU: 12:07pm On May 25, 2009
ScanLess:

@JJYOU
its not about what you can afford or not, its about imposition. a guy wants to marry and the lady's people are demanding almost half a million as if she is for sale. the guy can afford to go to the court and do it , but he finds out it is not acceptable to the lady's family and his church. you see these two institutions that he is stuck with just wants to make life difficult for him.
i am all for people marrying but i am not for kids marrying. if you are not old enough to know what you do and cant do dont marry.

no church has a business telling people what they do with thier wedding. i found out long time ago my church had a list of what to do and not do for your wedding and meet with the authourities. it was a friends wedding after listening to them carefully i knew this was an association i cannot belong and moved on with my life after the wedding.

tony benn said you must never allow people to control your life without planing the exit route. it a church for goodness sake and there are more than dozens of them about.

on the family, i am all for respecting them but it is within their God given brain to be reasonable. if they are so set in their ways to be unreasonable, then i dont want to belong tosuch family. mariage is never by force.

i am of the opinion the main reason people control these events for you is they help you foot the bills. if you are footing the bills yourself nobody should be able to tell you what to do without respect. wedding and engagements are just for maximum 2/3 days marriage is for life.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Nimshi: 10:36pm On May 25, 2009
It's tough, even for adults.

And if you've met some In-Laws to be, you'd find out that it's never really simple. No, they're not making demands; yes, they understand things are tough; but, this, this one, their beloved daughter, ought to be 'sent off' gloriously; you're a hardworking man, that Uncle-In-Law says, his hand on your shoulder; try, eh; try; you know, in out family, the women never come back; once you've done this, just this once, that's it; so do it well; think about it. . . Look, this will kill any militancy you've got; it almost certainly will.

It could be tough, but you've got to be tougher, and smarter.

A budget is a budget is a budget is a budget.

When you explain, explain with grace; no militancy; no that's-how-it-is-and-that's-all-about-that; well, at least not that way. People like to be heard. You know what you're going to do, and that's it. Just know this: your bride must be on your side; she'll be the one telling 'them' what's going to happen, or not; she knows her people, and she'll handle them.

This is your last test in negotiations as a bachelor; don't bungle it.

1 Like

Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by ScanLess: 9:47am On May 26, 2009
i'm not the one marrying ooo!! , but i'm also learning (from my friends sweating it now). but my question remains ; must we do tripple wedding or marriage to be accepted as married, is one not enough?
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Nimshi: 11:44am On May 26, 2009
From the responses above, it's clear one isn't enough.

It will need to be done in her church, at yours, at the registry, in your village, in her village, and everywhere else.

That would really be the right thing.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by kufreabasi(m): 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2010
To be candid, traditional marriage is the only marriage generally, biblicaly accepted and known. All others are types of marriage, you can chose one without beign push by anyone to go beyond your capability.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by jcross19: 5:12pm On Oct 12, 2010
church are western type marriage and where is it recorded in the bible of church marriage
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by icare1: 11:02am On Oct 13, 2010
God recognizes any type of marriage, in as much as the law of the country recognises it.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by UyiIredia(m): 12:48pm On Oct 15, 2010
@ topic >>> anyone >>> as far as i am concerned

also >>> parents always have their own ideals of how children should marry >>> and to be frank >>> i find it pestering (never mind that i am 20 & school is my concern write now) >>> the onus on parents is to strike the balance between their expectations & those of their wards >>> who at marriageable age shouldn't be treated as suckling babes

1 Like

Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Almuhandis: 12:23am On Oct 16, 2010
I am in a state of shock, you guys are talking as if you are not xtians As if God is not aware of the church-the body of christ? the key factor is obiedience. the body of christ replaced the traditions of men,in essence a true believer is compeled by obiedience to his Master to do a church marriage after paying the bride price.Yet God still accepts the others because he knows not all people are presently xtians.No wonder in corinthians it is said that the believing wife should not abandon her unbeliveing husband.God knows that people do change.
cool sorry this is the way I understand my faith in Jesus
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Joagbaje(m): 1:19pm On Oct 16, 2010
All marriages are recognise by God. Is just like naming ceremony. But since marriage of Christians is divine institution , the church is the place where Christian should marry. But which ever way someone may have married, God recognise it.
It's biblical to name and dedicate your child in Gods house . But whatever name you bear, even if it's from idols house, God still recognise it and call you by it
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by puyusco2006(f): 8:16pm On Feb 18, 2013
Hi Guys, I really need some advice as i am in Limbo, I am getting married to my partner in the uk but we will bve doing our traditional marriage first and then we will be going to nigeria the year after that to fufill out church wedding. Is there any thing wrong with such plans. I have not told my parents my plan yet but i am scared....they may just say the church wedding is more important than the traditional..... what do you guys think advice please?
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:49pm On Feb 18, 2013
ScanLess: People, which type of marriage does God recognise, is it the traditional one or the court one or the church wedding. i have noticed that in nigeria today intending couples ,especially Christians, are going through fire and rain to appease all the three institutions mentioned above, before they are considered married. is this not doing tripple marriage?

So i ask which one is accepted by God as the real one, outside which God will consider such a union unholy.must Christians be forced to appease traditional people in the villages ,who are just there to milk them of their resources without caring how the marriage survives later, even when some churches have made it clear to their congregation that they (church) do not recognise traditional marriage but only church wedding, yet they impose the same traditional marriage on the intending couples as a requirement to qualify for the church wedding. is this not hypocrisy?. many churches today are filled with young and old spinsters doing endless night vigils to procure a husband and they are being exploited by all kinds of spiritual charlatans. In the west you either do church or court wedding simple, but here we heap up gruesome burdens upon ourselves. can someone say something on this.

[size=16pt]SHUT UP! YOU ARE NIGERIAN! IF YOU BELONG TO A TRIBE, YOU MUST DO THE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE AS ORDAINED BY NATURE, THE ANCESTORS AND THE GODS!

IF YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT, STOP SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE OF YOUR TRIBE AND DONT LIVE HERE! GO TO SOME OTHER PLACE AND SPEAK LATIN AND DO ALL THAT G.AY STUFFS![/size] angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 18, 2013
ScanLess: People, which type of marriage does God recognise, is it the traditional one or the court one or the church wedding. i have noticed that in nigeria today intending couples ,especially Christians, are going through fire and rain to appease all the three institutions mentioned above, before they are considered married. is this not doing tripple marriage?

You're a slave to foreign and Jewish ways. You are a colonised, thoughtless, self-hating freak who despises his own traditions and chases after foreign conventions. A big shame on you. Tell us when you finally wake up from your servitude and slumber.

2 Likes

Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by ooman(m): 9:21pm On Feb 18, 2013
it doesnt matter what type of marriage any god wants, what matters is what kind of marriage you wish for
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by tpia6: 12:03am On Sep 28, 2014
imo, you go with whatever you can afford.

cut your coat according to your size.

the white wedding dress is good for social reference, portraits and family albums/facebook, it doesnt really guarantee anything.

not everybody is even allowed to do a church wedding- some are advised to avoid it, this doesnt make their marriage unrecognized as long as they do whatever form of marriage is recognized in their culture.

the marriage ceremony is primarily cultural.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by tpia6: 12:06am On Sep 28, 2014
ScanLess: i'm not the one marrying ooo!! , but i'm also learning (from my friends sweating it now). but my question remains ; must we do tripple wedding or marriage to be accepted as married, is one not enough?

it depends on your social group as per interaction.

and also the wife's culture.

in some cultures having three ceremonies is mandatory, while in others, just doing the basics works as well.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by redcliff: 12:21am On Nov 25, 2015
Hi, Please I want this post moved to frontpage. its quite important.. Thanks.
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by vooks: 4:04am On Nov 25, 2015
Very interesting.

The key here is to interrogate the historicity of Christian marriages. On the face of it, it seems like marriage is a cultural phenomenon. I would say any marriage that does not breach basic tenets of christianity is acceptable before God;
1. Man and a woman
2. Blessings of their parent/support
3. Right motivation that is to start a family...
Re: Which Type Of Marriage Does God Recognise? Traditional, Court Or Church? by tpiadotcom: 5:14am On Nov 25, 2015
Nimshi:
From the responses above, it's clear one isn't enough.

It will need to be done in her church, at yours, at the registry, in your village, in her village, and everywhere else.

That would really be the right thing.

true.

also, it would need to be posted on the internet as well or else it's not valid.

(1) (Reply)

3 Celestial Church Members In Court For Rape, Organ Harvesting In Lagos / Man Told That An Evil Item Is Buried At His Office (Photos) / Coronavirus: Primate Rufus Okikiola Ositelu Predicted China Disease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.