Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,823 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview (2230 Views)

3 Questions You Should Always Ask At The Beginning Of A Job Interview / 4 Questions You Need To Ask At The End Of A Job Interview / 30 Guidelines That Will Help You Ace Your Next Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
Did you know there are really only 15 variations of question you can get asked in an interview? So create some basic STAR examples and talk around them. Research a company, figure out why you want to work there, have some facts and figures on hand to drop in at will and voilá you’re well on your way to an excellent interview experience and then…well then comes the awkward moment…

That moment right before the end of an interview where they ask “have you got any questions for us?” Or worse they just let the silence linger, whilst you rack your brains for something that makes you sound interesting and informed...

In that moment, ask them this question:

1) Why has this position become available?

Bet they weren’t expecting that one! But you can discern so much about the company culture and expectations from it.

Did someone leave or is it a completely new post they’ve just created? If someone’s moved on up in the company you know things look good for your career prospects; if someone left then ask why diplomatically (Question 2 may help you with this) . If it’s a completely new role, you know you’re going to be expected to hit the ground running from day 1 so you can follow up with a question around support and/or autonomy in role – how much are you going to be able to shape the role into what you want it to be & how much guidance/line manager support can you expect vs what you require?

You’re there because you want a role but interviews are a two-way street so you need to know what you’re going into:

2)What challenges are the team currently facing and how do you see the person in this role helping to change that?

If they give you a lot of fluffy statements, truth is they probably don’t know what the problem really is or how to solve it. If they’ve got an idea about what the problem is but don’t know how to solve it, you can have a think about it on the way home and then when you send a “thanks for the interview” email you can add a paragraph about what you’d do in the role to solve the problem. Even if you can’t, it shows initiative. If they know what the problem is and have some ideas of how to fix it – you can spend your first weeks in role researching it, asking colleagues some questions about it, asking their advice and working out the right way forward. Basically you’re going to go in there with more than a “where are the fire-exits and toilets?” mentality, which means you’ll probably get a lot more done.

3)What would you consider the top priorities for this role?

This is a variation on the one above but now you’re learning what the hiring manager expects you to achieve early on and a sense of their management style. If they can’t give you a specific answer to this, they probably haven’t thought about what the role will really entail - you have to question how seriously they will take your professional development. In terms of management style you can work out if they’re a guiding kind of manager – they’ve got a sense of the priorities but want to see what you think; a manager that just wants you to put what they want into practice; or someone who really doesn’t know. You then have to work out if you could work for someone like that – do you like autonomy to shape a role; do you like a certain amount of guidance but want to figure it out or are you the kind of person who just likes putting other people’s ideas into practice? All have a valid place in the corporate world.

4)What does success look like in this role?

This is another way of asking about managerial style, shows you’re eager to get started & looking to be successful. You’ll get a sense of what key performance indicators look like so you can think about how you would spend your first months in role. A variation of this question is “How will you measure performance in this role? Follow up questions include “is there a good feedback culture here?” (e.g. you may only have one performance review per year but you’ll find out informally through feedback how you’re doing) You don’t want to wait to mid-year to find out if you’re doing well or not or if they think you could be doing better!

5) Do you think I would fit well within the team?

You’re really asking them to visualise you as part of the team. Great follow up questions are “Could you tell me more about the people I’ll be working with?” From this, you may get an understanding of the types of personalities you’ll be dealing with and then you can see if you can work with them & create a rapport. Think how you might do this with people you may never meet face to face but speak to everyday if it’s an international or cross-functional role. If you do get the job you’ve also got the classic ice-breaker “HM said you were brilliant at/liked/did xx could you show me how to yy?” Just make sure whatever HM said was positive.

6)What is the question you want to ask me but you haven’t yet?

This one is the clincher – it means you can address any further concerns they have about your application there and then. If they haven’t got any further questions, you’re probably in with a good chance of getting the job.

To your Success...

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by INTROVERT(f): 5:37pm On Nov 23, 2015
cheers
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by honeydear(f): 5:40pm On Nov 23, 2015
Okay
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by prelinctus: 5:42pm On Nov 23, 2015
Cool
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by Dahveydson(m): 6:17pm On Nov 23, 2015
I don't feel ok asking interviewers questions. One never know what exactly they want, asking a question might just set them off.
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by macho44(m): 6:59pm On Nov 23, 2015
[quote author=danieloy4 post=40328710]
Did you know there are really only 15 variations of question you can get asked in an interview? So create some basic STAR examples and talk around them. Research a company, figure out why you want to work there, have some facts and figures on hand to drop in at will and voilá you’re well on your way to an excellent interview experience and then…well then comes the awkward moment…

That moment right before the end of an interview where they ask “have you got any questions for us?” Or worse they just let the silence linger, whilst you rack your brains for something that makes you sound interesting and informed...

In that moment, ask them this question:

1) Why has this position become available?

Bet they weren’t expecting that one! But you can discern so much about the company culture and expectations from it.

Did someone leave or is it a completely new post they’ve just created? If someone’s moved on up in the company you know things look good for your career prospects; if someone left then ask why diplomatically (Question 2 may help you with this) . If it’s a completely new role, you know you’re going to be expected to hit the ground running from day 1 so you can follow up with a question around support and/or autonomy in role – how much are you going to be able to shape the role into what you want it to be & how much guidance/line manager support can you expect vs what you require?

You’re there because you want a role but interviews are a two-way street so you need to know what you’re going into:

2)What challenges are the team currently facing and how do you see the person in this role helping to change that?

If they give you a lot of fluffy statements, truth is they probably don’t know what the problem really is or how to solve it. If they’ve got an idea about what the problem is but don’t know how to solve it, you can have a think about it on the way home and then when you send a “thanks for the interview” email you can add a paragraph about what you’d do in the role to solve the problem. Even if you can’t, it shows initiative. If they know what the problem is and have some ideas of how to fix it – you can spend your first weeks in role researching it, asking colleagues some questions about it, asking their advice and working out the right way forward. Basically you’re going to go in there with more than a “where are the fire-exits and toilets?” mentality, which means you’ll probably get a lot more done.

3)What would you consider the top priorities for this role?

This is a variation on the one above but now you’re learning what the hiring manager expects you to achieve early on and a sense of their management style. If they can’t give you a specific answer to this, they probably haven’t thought about what the role will really entail - you have to question how seriously they will take your professional development. In terms of management style you can work out if they’re a guiding kind of manager – they’ve got a sense of the priorities but want to see what you think; a manager that just wants you to put what they want into practice; or someone who really doesn’t know. You then have to work out if you could work for someone like that – do you like autonomy to shape a role; do you like a certain amount of guidance but want to figure it out or are you the kind of person who just likes putting other people’s ideas into practice? All have a valid place in the corporate world.

4)What does success look like in this role?

This is another way of asking about managerial style, shows you’re eager to get started & looking to be successful. You’ll get a sense of what key performance indicators look like so you can think about how you would spend your first months in role. A variation of this question is “How will you measure performance in this role? Follow up questions include “is there a good feedback culture here?” (e.g. you may only have one performance review per year but you’ll find out informally through feedback how you’re doing) You don’t want to wait to mid-year to find out if you’re doing well or not or if they think you could be doing better!

5) Do you think I would fit well within the team?

You’re really asking them to visualise you as part of the team. Great follow up questions are “Could you tell me more about the people I’ll be working with?” From this, you may get an understanding of the types of personalities you’ll be dealing with and then you can see if you can work with them & create a rapport. Think how you might do this with people you may never meet face to face but speak to everyday if it’s an international or cross-functional role. If you do get the job you’ve also got the classic ice-breaker “HM said you were brilliant at/liked/did xx could you show me how to yy?” Just make sure whatever HM said was positive.

6)What is the question you want to ask me but you haven’t yet?

This one is the clincher – it means you can address any further concerns they have about your application there and then. If they haven’t got any further questions, you’re probably in with a good chance of getting the job.

To your Success...
[/quote Before you attend that interview visit www.jobtips247.info for your comprehensive job interview tips
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by nenergy(m): 9:33pm On Nov 23, 2015
All these questions are not for entry level jobs o! Its for experience hire and mid-level management.

Plus, these 2 might make you shoot yourself on the foot.

*Do you think I would fit well within the team? (Are you doubting their "faith" in you?)

*What is the question you want to ask me but you
haven’t yet? (Are you telling them they weren't thorough enough?)

At my recent interview, I was asked if I have any questions. I asked; 1. What tools (Applications and systems) I'll be working with. 2. Salary.

5 Likes

Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by hardychris(m): 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
Okay o
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by timmyblast(m): 10:20pm On Nov 23, 2015
When you have finish answering their questions, when will you now have time to ask urs.
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by palladin: 6:27am On Nov 24, 2015
gmacnoms:
U neva ansa d one wey dem ask u finish, u wan turn to interviewer? Shey na u give dem deir job ni?

Lol. I tire o.

1 Like

Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by timmyblast(m): 9:34am On Nov 24, 2015
honeydear:
Okay
hi morin, longest time
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by Ezyp(m): 12:58am On Nov 26, 2015
This is great
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 26, 2015
For an entry-level role, I think the most favorable question to ask (from the OP's list) is “How will you measure performance in this role?" I would have also mentioned “Could you tell me more about the people I’ll be working with?” but it might give an impression that you have not thoroughly researched the role you are interviewing for. My thoughts, though. ... Subject to correction.
Re: 6 Killer Questions To Ask At Your Next Interview by Dahveydson(m): 7:47am On Nov 26, 2015
Can one ask something like when do I hope to hear back from you?

(1) (Reply)

[CLOSED] / It/siwes Unilever Aptitude Test / Job Advert (mass Recruitment) BY CAPACITY LOGISTIC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.