Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,262 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) (38590 Views)

What You Should Know If You Have A Seizure Disorder/epilepsy / Epileptic Girl Falls Inside Boiling Oil While Having Seizure (Graphic Photos) / Killer Cop: Victim’s Daughter Develops Seizure After Mother’s Killing(pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by ricki: 9:45pm On Nov 30, 2015
All dis call ambulance for naija??

Putting hand in mouth as worked since the jurassic era and still trending. Cheap too..
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Caracta(f): 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
totalhouse:

Caracta, he/she deserves more than a hug this time around, he/she deserves love. This is so inspiring. It can only be in Jesus alone. Restoring hope to the hopeless. I thank God on your behalf lexicot.

Lol. I'm telling you. I love him already. I'm completely speechless. He should just change his name to "sunshine".

Yes we thank God for your testimony, lexicot.

I hope other 'survivors' can read through this thread and start LIVING. We just want you to know you are not alone. We care. We do honestly.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Jahblessme: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
Fantastic thread OP,

Having seizures or being diagnosed with epilepsy is nothing to be ashamed of.It is an illness,most times lifelong but it is not a thing of shame.
The general public have to be sensitized to understand that it is not infectious,so there's no need to run,there's no need to shove spoons and stuff into their mouths,just put them in that position the Op has shown and make sure the area is free from dangerous objects.When the fit passes,proceed to the hospital.

A. The first step is to consult with a Neurologist so they can determine the kind of seizure you are suffering from.There are many different types even those brought about by spikes in temperature mostly seen in children.Once seen,the consultant can them place you on medication,70% of people can be seizure free while on medication,there's no point running from pillar to post seeking solution without first trying the medical route.
Different meds will be tried in diff doses till the right one is found.

B. It is also important to keep a seizure diary as this helps you to know what and what occurred before you had the seizure.This could aid in identifying your triggers.If you record each thing that happened lets say if you fit like 3/4 times you may begin to see a pattern.

1.it could be flashing light of tv, 2. some long time spent in front of laptop,3.some disco lights, 4.alcohol too which can lead to dehydration 5. Low blood sugar(not eating properly) 5. Stress etc
Knowing what causes you to have a seizure goes a long way to help so that you can at least avoid those things.

C.You need to inform people-This is crucial so that they lookout for you and know exactly what to do incase you start fitting.You can teach them what to do for you.If you want to fly,inform the airline.If you are going swimming,inform the life guards and always use a life jacket.There is no shame,if people know what to do,your life could be saved.

D. At home,you are advised to avoid bathing in a bath tub filled with water just to avoid drowning its better to use a shower.Leave the door open when bathing just incase. Avoid open fires and generally leave sharp objects in safe places.

E.If you can,always wear a bracelet identifying your condition.eg Epilieptic,-check my bag for what to do or who to contact.

F. In some places,dogs are trained to detect seizures and are able to nudge their owner to a place of safety and a comfortable position till the fit passes.

E One final thing i have to add is that when children have a fever,please don't sponge them with cold water it could have a reverse effect because the blood vessels under the skin tighten up and traps the heat which will lead to a further spike.Best to sponge with tepid/lukewarm water then give paracetamol to bring the temperature down.Avoid fanning too and covering the child with excess clothing.

Sorry,if i've forgotten anything...My best wishes to the lovely men and women suffering this.I strongly believe that there will be a cure one day.Until then, STAY SAFE kiss

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by ministerblessed: 10:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
lexicot:

I concur that stress induced activity has a 90% chance of triggering it.
Stay strong, Stay blessed
thanks
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Jahblessme: 10:19pm On Nov 30, 2015
@lexicot,

You sound like a fantastic human being
I hope you won't let this illness stop you from living your life to the fullest.So glad your medication is working...Please help educate others!!!
All the best sir!
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Orikinla(m): 10:21pm On Nov 30, 2015
The public awareness can be done by every LGA with simple street to street announcements and distributions of the booklets and posters to all school children, teachers and parents and also at the churches and mosques.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by olasesi(m): 11:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
I had a traumatic brain injury (tbi)(motor accident) before and consequently, seizures. A take my drugs as prescribed by my neuorosurgeon and I hope to be weaned off in 2 years. One year is passed already, and as it is, I don't notice the seizures anymore, so much that I sometimes don't know if it's a seizure or just normal body movement . I have had episodes of it so I know it. Sometimes I notice an aura, but I don't fall, shake or become unconscious. It has been controlled. Seizures after head injury are rare. But head injury is common. Making seizures after head injury underlying common. It's just unfortunate that there are too many uninformed people in Nigeria. Even as technology broadens. One can only enlighten and hope that Nigerians will one day become "advanced humans".

Nollywood should also send good messages to people and consult professionals in their movies. Bad movies have really done a lot. The Yoruba chapter is worrisome.

People with seizures or epilepsy need our supports and care.

NB: seizures are actually attempts by the brain to repare itself.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by olasesi(m): 11:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
lexicot:
When I saw the word "seizure" on front page I couldn't help to comment. I am also passing through the whole ordeal of one that's epileptic. mine is nocturnal epilepsy(meaning it happens when I'm asleep or half asleep), but it is one of the most dangerous.

My story is long.. But I want anyone reading this to encourage anyone passing through it. I am very close to Jesus (not ashamed to cry it loud) and that as helped me alot.. I finally got the required drugs for me and I have been seizure free for 1 year.

Talk about suicide, talk about depression, I passed through all of this for close 10 years.
I am young and very good looking and brilliant, that you won't have an idea that I pass through this. It almost terminated my life but thank God.

Please it is not infectious. I got mine from an head injury when I was much younger.

Op, God bless you for helping that fellow. My drugs is on the high side but thank God for his provision. Would have typed more but I have to run to bible study.

God bless

As God made you totally free of it, so shall he make me too.
I have been on carbamazipine(tegretol) for 1 year now. I will be weaned in 2 years. I just can't wait.
Mine was from a head injury too, a motor accident.

1 Like

Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by pacespot(m): 1:33am On Dec 01, 2015
Quite informative, hope Nigerians will get passed the superstitions surrounding this illness.
Some see epileptic patients as if they are not human beings. They even say you shouldn't let their saliva touch you, imagine!
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by naheem8307(m): 3:43am On Dec 01, 2015
Sensible and meaningful thread I have read here so far... be kind to humanity.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Funjosh(m): 5:55am On Dec 01, 2015
lexicot:

Thank you. I already felt your hug..

My story is so touching.. It bring tears to close ones around. Epilepsy is a scourge, a disability that will likely take away your self esteem and even your life if you are not careful.

Once I get my footing, I will spend my life helping people passing through this stigma and ofcourse talk about my loving Jesus.

I am that brillant fellow in the engineering faculty people know about as being witty and to himself. Good looking but relationship issues is far from his side (despite not been too close to God then).. Did well in school, was on scholarship.

Went further for an MSc in the states then the seizure kicked in. Note that the seizure never attacked me doing my undergrad except for some disorder or migrane.. I almost did not complete my Msc cos of the seizure. I have thought about the fastest/painless poison killer but anytime that thought comes my mum face shows up.

I was even ready to make hell but the love of God has for me is so immeasurable. I have watched friends gave up on me. Relationship gone down the drain. Hope lost.

Oh my heart bleeds just recalling having those episode. At times it can be twice a week. Was this it I asked?

I hated life. I cursed myself and wept bitterly on my pillow every night.

My memory was going numb. My academics was shaking. My thesis prof broke my heart when he said " my effort induce sympathy" so as to accredit my research.

Oh, how did I stoop so low? How did I lose life dignity?

It is a year back and I still feel it as though it was yesterday. If not for Jesus, I would have taking my life like a childhood friend. I am not better than him but christ just love me.

Please I beg you. Stretch out an helping hands to anyone passing through this tumultuous event. Please I plead.

A poem to sum it.

When my space is beclouded
with so great sorrow and grief
When hope is lost in abysmal
And joy is alien to my existent

When I cry tears so salty
My mucus stream through my mouth
When I search for succumb
Only to realized I just had another seizure

Oh what unjustifiable pain
Oh what spear thrust to my heart
I craved death solace
But I guess that was not the means

Now, I look back
So indebted and timid
How did I pass through this valley
How did I see this light at close of road end

It was no other
But that loving and compassionate friend
That being where love emanate
No other but Christ Jesus

God will continue to be with you bro smiley
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by masties2(f): 9:30am On Dec 01, 2015
Very touching post . I read the comments with tears in my eyes. My son suffered from ferbrile seizure so I know how scary it is. Pls let's also help children avoid head injuries and always watch out for other triggers. I will also be more compassionate to anyone I meet going through this at least now we are more informed and know it is not infectious . God help us all
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by tipzyayd(m): 9:55am On Dec 01, 2015
iduzebaba:
thank you for that @ op. this is important esp in children with febrile convulsion wia all sort of tin are put in the child's mouth..spoon,cloth.. kerosene.. causing aspiration pneumonitis.. front page pls
ode leleleyi óoøó .,.. adrelanine d consultant is looking for u ...,. U no cum clinic fr ward rounds yesterday
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by tipzyayd(m): 9:59am On Dec 01, 2015
adrelanine:
U re welcome
prof fadeyi is looking for u adrelanine
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by tipzyayd(m): 10:02am On Dec 01, 2015
Donfamous:

Ode ...... o tii finally wooo front page........
soo oro niyen
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Roks(m): 12:22pm On Dec 01, 2015
Thanks for article
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Chumani(f): 8:31pm On Dec 01, 2015
adrelanine:
Seizure, commonly regarded as "warapa" is a neurological disorder and not a spiritual problem. Pls let's try to jettison our childhood superstitious belief for once....

I av a 2½yrs old niece who is suffering from the disorder. I am curious to know if it is curable.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by lexicot: 9:39pm On Dec 01, 2015
I am sorry i was not able to post. The anti spam bot add my post limited till this very moment. Can't understand why..

I will like to thank you all for your encouragement and appreciation. It beehoves me to really do my own part in spreading awareness, love and most especially hope.

For the individual that requested the different medications i tried. I can't recall the first one i used about 10 years back. For that of 2012-2014 when the seuzure was heightened i used keppra but it was of little effect..

Finally, i am on tegretol and i have been seizure free since dec 2014. Hope this helps.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Lexicot1: 9:54pm On Dec 01, 2015
The anti-spam limited my account till now.. I tried making another post but i was limited for anoda 24hrs.. That is why i am using anoda created id.. Can't figure why..
I sincerely apologise for this. It pains i could help at this short time. I just hope this post goes thru.

I appreciate everyone encouragement and appreciation. God bess..

For the wonderful fellow that wud like to know the types of drug i have tried.

10 years back, i can't remember the name. For 2012-2014 when the seizure was heightened, i tried keppra but it had little or no effect. The neuroligist was amazed cos keppra is high there on the shelve of medication.

Dec 2014,i have been on tegretol from a recommendation from a neurologist in yaba. I have been seizure free since then..
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by lexicot: 10:25pm On Dec 01, 2015
Chumani:

I av a 2½yrs old niece who is suffering from the disorder. I am curious to know if it is curable.

First, there's yet to be a known cure. But don't feel down yet.. Drugs can repress seizure for years as long as it is taken..

Please be wary of fruitless hope. Epileptic people do well in life so don't let misconception bring you down. Ok.

I think mozart or beethoven was.. You can browse men and women that did well even with the disability..

Don't be surprise i called 'disability'.. It simply means one is simply limited in some things.. Almost everyone has a form of it.. People that use med glasses are also disable.

Orientation is most needed to overcome this. Love your neice for she is a proper child. Don't ever think otherwise cos once you do, you add more to the problem.

Just to add.. Sufferers of these are very smart.. Not al but most from observation.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Chumani(f): 9:51am On Dec 03, 2015
lexicot:

First, there's yet to be a known cure. But don't feel down yet.. Drugs can repress seizure for years as long as it is taken..

Please be wary of fruitless hope. Epileptic people do well in life so don't let misconception bring you down. Ok.

I think mozart or beethoven was.. You can browse men and women that did well even with the disability..

Don't be surprise i called 'disability'.. It simply means one is simply limited in some things.. Almost everyone has a form of it.. People that use med glasses are also disable.

Orientation is most needed to overcome this. Love your neice for she is a proper child. Don't ever think otherwise cos once you do, you add more to the problem.

Just to add.. Sufferers of these are very smart.. Not al but most from observation.

Thank u very much for ur concerns, I quite appreciate u.

The girl in question has the crisis everyday (like 10 times or more in a day) to the point of thinking that she would give up.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by lexicot: 11:20pm On Dec 03, 2015
Chumani:

Thank u very much for ur concerns, I quite appreciate u.

The girl in question has the crisis everyday (like 10 times or more in a day) to the point of thinking that she would give up.

10 times is alarming.

If you check my post, I am a firm believer of jesus christ so no matter how 'unconventional' people may see me mentioning my believe or this post, i don't care. They were not there when the US trained neurologist said "he does not know what to do".. But Jesus solved it.

I am seizure free today ALL to the glory of God. I can assure you if you sincerely pray to christ jesus he will solve it. But you have to totally depend on christ and not mix him with other gods like sin or contrary believes. Do it for your neice.

There are different ways God works. Mine was i got a drug for mine. Some people they don't need drugs again.

When I had seizure then, i bit my tongue so hard.. My right is almost lost but thank God. My lags behind alot. And i was depressed.

I cried to God for mercy. Ofcourse God answered but I was patient.

Please give me more details whether it happens mostly morning or night. Is she always weak.. Does she play normal or she showing sign of depression.. What are neurologist saying.. Please go to epilepsy.com forum.. You ll be surprised how many people want to help cos they understand. Please help me with more info or pm the info.. Also pm her name, i ll love to put plead mercy from my jesus cos he is ever loving.

God bless
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by caketake3: 11:22pm On Dec 04, 2015
blueblood1:
Hmmmmm.....
My heart is broken in pieces as I write this. My elder brother battled with epilepsy for over 25 years....finally passed on in 2007 as he started having hallucinations and took an overdose of medications. I've not been myself since then. I loved him most of all my siblings of 6. He was so kind and gentle, never angry, always happy, despite the disease. The most painful part for my human heart was that we tried churches and pastors to no avail. Till date, I still feel God let me down.

Lets get an education. It's neither contagious nor hereditary. If there is some kind of NGO to support people living with the disease, I really want to be part of it.

God does not let down. He builds up. You might be that sad but that still doesn't means he is mute. He still cares for you and definitely seeks the best for you.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Chumani(f): 4:33pm On Dec 08, 2015
lexicot:

10 times is alarming.

There are different ways God works. Mine was i got a drug for mine. Some people they don't need drugs again.

When I had seizure then, i bit my tongue so hard.. My right is almost lost but thank God. My lags behind a lot. And i was depressed.

I cried to God for mercy. Ofcourse God answered but I was patient.

Please give me more details whether it happens mostly morning or night. Is she always weak.. Does she play normal or she showing sign of depression.. What are neurologist saying.. Please go to epilepsy.com forum.. You ll be surprised how many people want to help cos they understand. Please help me with more info or pm the info....

God bless

am sorry for replying late, I was banned

yes, its very alarming.
it does not have a specific time,
she's very active. she plays normal and does not show any sign of depression.

whenever she has the crises, at times she would smile/laugh, and times she would be:
aggressive ,
be chewing teeth
be clapping her hands
or sleep off immediately

It was reported that she has functional seizure from the EEG done.
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by Visible008(m): 11:12am On Dec 20, 2016
lexicot:
When I saw the word "seizure" on front page I couldn't help to comment. I am also passing through the whole ordeal of one that's epileptic. mine is nocturnal epilepsy(meaning it happens when I'm asleep or half asleep), but it is one of the most dangerous.

My story is long.. But I want anyone reading this to encourage anyone passing through it. I am very close to Jesus (not ashamed to cry it loud) and that as helped me alot.. I finally got the required drugs for me and I have been seizure free for 1 year.

Talk about suicide, talk about depression, I passed through all of this for close 10 years.
I am young and very good looking and brilliant, that you won't have an idea that I pass through this. It almost terminated my life but thank God.

Please it is not infectious. I got mine from an head injury when I was much younger.
I sent you an e-mail please reply
Re: What To Do When Someone Has A Seizure(pics) by jeff1607(m): 5:47pm On Mar 19, 2023
Very informative

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Steps To Avoid Sperm Leakage After Sexual Intercourse / Woman Delivered Of Triplets In Lagos, Dies Few Hours (pictured) / Did People Die In Anambra After Receiving Calls From Strange Number, +666999?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.