Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy (6481 Views)

IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… / 12 Things Buhari Govt Is Putting In Place To Revive Nigerian Economy - Adeosun / Fayose : Nigerian Economy May Collapse In 3 Months!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by chiddye(m): 6:25am On Nov 24, 2015
Criminalization of marijuana need to stop, the fight against marijuana has no end has the NDLEA and police tend to clamp down on marijuana growers and users (whom are most time harmless)their effort seem endless and tiring.this actually got me thinking

However this brings me to the question why is marijuana been criminalized? for me I can't see the crime in the medical and recreational consumption of marijuana since its a herb, if you disperse from this assumption you can point out your reasons. Nonetheless I would give reasons for the decriminalisation of marijuana. to support my claim I would like to opine in two categories Health wise and economic wise, for those who believe marijuana make people crazy i strongly believe its a fallacy although there are numerous health benefits but I would point out a few

1. Treatment of Glaucoma
If you are one of the millions who have been suffering from glaucoma, then smoking marijuana can help you get the best eyesight and relieve pressure from they eyes

2. Manage Epileptic Seizures
People who suffer from epileptic disorders or seizures can get tremendous relief and relaxation from smoking marijuana

3. Pain Reliever
Marijuana ingestion can benefit your health when used to lessen the pain of MS, Rheumatoid arthritis and migraines. Also those sufferers of HIV, amputation, alcoholism and spinal surgery who are experiencing nerve pain seem to have a lessening of their pain when they are on a medical marijuana treatment protocol. It has also been found even more effective than aspirin.

4. Prevents the Spread of Cancer
There is a chemical found in marijuana that has been shown to inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Researchers believe the process is that cannabidiol turns off the Id-1 gene. Cancer cells duplicate this gene in higher numbers than non-cancerous cells.
Researchers also studied breast cancer cells in the lab that contained Id-1 in high quantities. They were treated with cannibidiol. The result of this treatment was a lower incidence of Id-1 and the remaining genes were found to be less invasive.

5. Reduces the Spread of HIV
Cannabis is highly regarded in the medical community for it’s effectiveness in treating patients with HIV. People who have contracted the disease suffer from weight loss and body aches amongst other many things however, a new research that suggest cannabis might be able to halt the spread of the disease altogether has come to light.

6. Relieves Arthritis Pain
Marijuana will help with rheumatoid arthritis pain, swelling and allow them to have restful sleep .According to a 2011 study, where a cannabis based pain killer was given to rheumatoid arthritic patients, there was a marked decrease in observable pain, compared to the administration of a placebo.

7. Calms Tremors in Parkinson’s Patients
Research has shown for patients suffering from the debilitating disease Parkinson, smoking pot can help reduce pain and tremors. It has been show to increase sleep quality as well as improving fine motor skills. Much of this research has been conducted in Israel.

ECONOMIC BENEFITS

8. Increase In State Revenue
I don’t know the size of the marijuana market right now, and i certainly don’t know what would happen to the price and the demand for marijuana under different levels of legalization,rough figures from NDLEA put marijuana users at 16million and the monetary figure about a 2billion dollar annually. Imagine the economic importance this could be if added to the Nigerian GDP , since we are been faced with the current challenge of dwindling oil prices. it is pertinent for the government to think outside the box to encourage income into the government purse. But i do know that legalization would lead to a positive revenue impact on the income and sales tax side.

9. Reducing Unemployment
Imagine the amount of job that would be created by legalising marijuana, growers,regulators,distributors, and sellers. Imagine the amount of Nigerian youth that would be gainfully employed in this billion dollar enterprise. The economic importance of this commodity shouldn't be blindsided. It is high time the government start facing the real issues and thinking out of the box to curb unemployment and encourage entrepreneurship through legalising marijuana. Which as been proven in states like Colorado and Washington in the united States.

10. Reduced NDLEA,Police Workload
By making weed legal, NDLEA and police can focus their attention on stopping more destructive illegal drugs like cocaine and heroin,from flooding Nigerian markets which are more likely to cause crime and health problems.this would help reduce the work load of the police and NDLEA

11. Decongesting The Prisons
Nigerian prisons are laden with weed related offenders in their tens of thousands. The figures are staring at us in the face. offenders whose crime is smoking marijuana as a recreational drug is taken to jail, where he is even made more hardened than when he came in, some are sentenced with long terms for marijuana smoking. Feeding on tax payers money and making the government purse lean. If marijuana is legalised these set of people would be be useful to themselves and the society.

12. Legalized pot will also produce public health benefits, Forbes reports. Because alcohol consumption is more harmful to people than marijuana use, but the two are substitutes, legalizing pot will lead customers to shift to the better of the two choices. Either you smoke weed or you drink alcohol.

I know what you are thinking, you think by legalising marijuana there would be a drastic increase in the abuse of the drug. However the reverse is the case studies have shown in Colorado that has a well-regulated medical marijuana program, The study found that between 2009-2011, teen marijuana use in Colorado declined while teen use in the rest of the united States where marijuana isn't legalised increased during the same testing period. Inferencing from this, regulation is paramount for effective legalisation of marijuana in Nigeria.

In conclusion I would like you to ask yourself why is marijuana being banned? Why they do not permit recreational use of marijuana, while smoking cigarette and tobacco, which causes cancer, is legal. By contrast, smoking weed, which is used to treat the symptoms of cancer treatments, and numerous ailment is not legalised. Economically Nigeria is on a downside right now, the legalisation and proper regulation of marijuana could bring about an upward review economically.

this is not just an article its a movement

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 6:27am On Nov 24, 2015
Nonsense

3 Likes

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by saintgoogle(m): 6:28am On Nov 24, 2015
sad
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by idu1(m): 6:31am On Nov 24, 2015
I want it legalized

11 Likes

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by gboly3190(m): 6:37am On Nov 24, 2015
Ok
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 6:42am On Nov 24, 2015
Have you people decided to free our oil?This is good news if that is the case.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 24, 2015
Did you think of the social effects? High crime rate, indian hemp psychosis, addiction?
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Pavore9: 6:53am On Nov 24, 2015
OP, you ignored the other side of the coin!
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 6:55am On Nov 24, 2015
OP you did not add the most imprportant benefit...........it is a greate source of INSPIRATION if you doubt me go and ask bob marley, vybes khatel, peter tosh and the rest of them even lucky dube of blessed memory.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 6:58am On Nov 24, 2015
M4gunners:
everytime....OUR OIL, OUR OIL, OUR OIL? you no they tire?
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by OAMMB(f): 7:00am On Nov 24, 2015
Nice development grin

2 Likes

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 7:00am On Nov 24, 2015
M4gunners:
i can bet my life that you dont even know shiiit about crude oil.....OUR OIL

1 Like

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by lymelyte(m): 7:01am On Nov 24, 2015
LEGALIZE IT grin
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by mrvitalis(m): 7:01am On Nov 24, 2015
For me legalise it then tax it very much.. .. and also regulate the amount that a person can carry.... The price will naturally regulate it intake

1 Like

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by captainflash(m): 7:05am On Nov 24, 2015
undecided
You didnt add this one..
It reduces the flow of blood
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by DaBullIT(m): 7:05am On Nov 24, 2015
Oooo Boi eeeee

This Op na confirmed weeder grin grin grin or maybe na just copy and paste

But in reality , we do not even know the actual number of people living in each state as such controlling the USE would be virtually impossible

USA is not Nigeria , Most normal things in other parts of the world ,except Nigeria

Would you advocate for right to arms in Nigeria ? as in legalizing guns ?
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 7:08am On Nov 24, 2015
yeah legalize it.......in snoop dogs voice....so what we get high, so what we smoke weeed? We just having fun, we dont care who sees, so what we get high? Thats how is supposed to be, living young and wild and free.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Legitbaba(m): 7:08am On Nov 24, 2015
legalized or not..i rep team #smokeone
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 7:09am On Nov 24, 2015
Henry22:
i can bet my life that you dont even know shiiit about crude oil.....OUR OIL
I don't blame you at all. If this Country where to be in develop world, i will probably be using Bentley to go to School. Why can't you open ur mouth and talk to me anyhow. When i am standing in sun with you everyday waiting to buy fuel for Generator.

1 Like

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 7:13am On Nov 24, 2015
M4gunners:
I don't blame you at all. If this Country where to be in develop world, i will probably be using Bentley to go to School. Why can't you open ur mouth and talk to me anyhow. When i am standing in sun with you everyday waiting to buy fuel for Generator.
OUR OIL........ please get a life
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 7:14am On Nov 24, 2015
Henry22:
OUR OIL........ please get a life
Do you even have any? You don't have life not to talk of Oil.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by kaypound(m): 7:18am On Nov 24, 2015
Hmmm...
Makes sense.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by byteHead(m): 7:26am On Nov 24, 2015
.@last pic. Barrack Obama. Back in dem days

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 7:29am On Nov 24, 2015
M4gunners:
Do you even have any? You don't have life not to talk of Oil.
i dont need to trade words wit you this morning cos you dont know shiiit.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 7:33am On Nov 24, 2015
Henry22:
i dont need to trade words wit you this morning cos you dont know shiiit.
Wise decision you made there.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by Henry22(m): 7:40am On Nov 24, 2015
M4gunners:
Wise decision you made there.
i took d pleasure of going tru your profile.......y using nnamdi kanu as ur dp cos u dont even sound like som1 from ibo cos i know them they are not lazy not even to talk of depending on some lame OIL.....smh
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 7:52am On Nov 24, 2015
Henry22:
i took d pleasure of going tru your profile.......y using nnamdi kanu as ur dp cos u dont even sound like som1 from ibo cos i know them they are not lazy not even to talk of depending on some lame OIL.....smh
See this mumu oh.You said earlier you wouldn't want to exchange words with me this early morning, yet you won't let me be.That makes you bug time nnama (Cow)
I am lazy in your eyes because I'm fighting for my right thanks. Meanwhile, yeah Man in my profile there is the man of the moment.A trusted Leader of IPOB unlike what wr use to have before.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by M4gunners: 7:53am On Nov 24, 2015
Henry22:
See this mumu oh.You said earlier you wouldn't want to exchange words with me this early morning, yet you won't let me be.That makes you big time nnama (Cow)
I am lazy in your eyes because I'm fighting for my right thanks. Meanwhile, yeah Man in my profile there is the man of the moment.A trusted Leader of IPOB unlike what wr use to have before.
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by freez2ryme(m): 7:54am On Nov 24, 2015
They should just legalize this stuff ASAP

The world legalized cigarette that can more than 200 different illness

Yet they refuse to legalize weed that can actually cure u of more than 200 illness

So ironic!

Though m not a smoker but, m a big fan of weed!

1 Like

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by coolzeal(m): 7:58am On Nov 24, 2015
Legalize the damn thing..
Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by leke12(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2015
I concur! SK to bad.....I luv it with red wine!!!

1 Like

Re: Legalising Marijuana And Nigerian Economy by nwadiuko1(m): 8:01am On Nov 24, 2015
legalized or not . .. ..agan esepu anwuru

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Names Of Christian Excos In APC / Late Sen. Pius Ewherido To Be Buried On Friday / Current Result Of 2015 Presidential E-poll By Sahara Reporter (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.