Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 (912 Views)

Google Techmakers And Udacity Scholarship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 by Michozil(m): 9:50am On Nov 24, 2015
Are you aware of the fact that we actually do have little or no female programmers in Nigeria?
If you go to any computer school or programming school, the ratio of guys to ladies is about 5:1 and it's sad. Women need to rise and take up the responsibility and will to challenge the male programmers.

One of the roles of an entrepreneur is to be a Supreme Innovative Officer and it's only when you are able to sit down and think that new, creative ideas can sprout out your mind and fusing your wonderful ideas with tech is a sure bet for a successful entrepreneurship run.

Well, I know over here in Nigeria its probably not a womans thing to be involved in the tech world, but if you're a lady and you're reading this, I would want to advice that you become computer literate at least.
I also know that some of the challenges women face that has reduced the number of female programmers we have in the country ranges from
- Lack of role models
- Always being mentored out of the programming way
- Social Pressure
- Not having any personal projects to work on
- Negative stereotyping
- Different motivations and the list could continue.

It's important to know that the age of first exposure to programming is not such a big deal anymore. I have fellow bloggers, colleagues and friends who actually did pick up their first programming language at age 18 or even less and were doing pretty amazing things. It just takes your determination and focus.
Here is my point, the internet, has changed everything. The way people learn to program and find friends. So a lot of things would be very different for a young girl starting out right now but it's not tool late at all that's why the Women Tech-makers branch of the Google Brand and Global program for Women in Technology has decided to come up with an exciting event for all women in Nigeria particularly around Rivers state called CODE DAY.

This event was structured to capture and enlighten women on the need to develop news skills technology wise and also start learning codes.
The Women Tech-makers Port Harcourt is a day where women have the opportunity to develop a new skill in technology, enabling them become leaders in their individual careers and pursuits. This is that opportunity you have been waiting for if you've been wanting to go the tech way but haven't found the right time and people to motivate you. This is a perfect way to better your community through technology and collaboration.

Women Tech-makers Port Harcourt is Google’s brand and global program for women in technology. Women Tech-makers provides visibility, community, and resources with the aim of showcasing the work and passions of women in the technology industry by providing a platform to celebrate their talents and spotlight role models.
Date: 4th December, 2015.
Venue: University of Port Harcourt
Time: 9am

If you're interested, you can register for the event here via a Google Docs Form for Women
- See more at: http://www.mozentre.com/2015/11/women-tech-makers-port-harcourt-code-day.html
Re: Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 by Fulaman198(m): 10:31am On Nov 24, 2015
That's how it is in every country. Unfortunately, STEM is extremely male dominated. Wish it could change
Re: Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 25, 2015
i loved programming, how i wish my parents were rich back then when i wanted to go to school -like die. anyway, i still managed to teach myself.

sometimes when i reflect on the past, i j just feel like ending my life. i always regret why God created me a nigerian. i do the bizz i do now justt for doing sake, but my mind always lays on programming.

1 Like

Re: Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 by Michozil(m): 2:26pm On Nov 25, 2015
Well Crotonite, I think I understand you. But its never too late in life to achieve your dreams... If you wish to learn programming you could register and attend the event. And also teach yourself programming too. It all depends on your strong will and motivation.
Re: Women Techmakers Port Harcourt Presents Code Day, 2015 by Nobody: 3:24pm On Nov 25, 2015
Michozil:
Well Crotonite, I think I understand you. But its never too late in life to achieve your dreams... If you wish to learn programming you could register and attend the event. And also teach yourself programming too. It all depends on your strong will and motivation.

i think thats too late. my brain is now fully grown.

(1) (Reply)

Common Socket For Web And Mobile Platforms / Get Best SEO Tricks Now / Object Of Arbitrary Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.