Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,148 members, 7,815,020 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Stop "jungle Justice" - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Stop "jungle Justice" (6229 Views)

Poll: Can We Put A stop to it?

No: 42% (15 votes)
Yes: 57% (20 votes)
This poll has ended

Yvonne Osifo vs Apostle Psalm Okpe Saga: A Cry For Justice / Four Robbery Suspects Subjected To Jungle Justice, Die In Police Custody / Jungle Justice: See Pics Of Alleged Robbers Caught And Lynched In Portharcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 11:39am On May 25, 2009
It really is a sick world, we all cry out for justice,but we forget it starts with each and every one of us.
the legal system here sucks (we all know shay?) but does that give us the right to take the law into our hands?
I saw a video which i will attach there suspected robbers (innocent until proven guilty in the court of law) were murdered in a very brutal way.
I was in shock for hours. I asked myself "do they have the to execute people without trial? are they any better than the criminals they are punishing?"

I think it's time to PUT AN END TO "JUNGLE JUSTICE" IN NIGERIA, whoever is caught executing a "suspect" should in turn be executed in the same manner.
It's time for us to start "respecting" the rule of law.

[flash=200,200]http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/3rd_raikage/?action=view&current=stopthebrutality.flv[/flash]

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/3rd_raikage/?action=view&current=stopthebrutality.flv
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by amaikama(m): 11:31am On May 27, 2009
@poster!!! You are more concerned about the armed robbers, what about the same authorities who are suppose to protect me are the ones killing me angry What sort of jungle justice should we give them The sistem my brother is more corrupt than any thing. Only God will judge!
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by ud4u: 11:56am On May 27, 2009
Who is going to rise up against it, me and you in Nairaland

OK oh I pray power reach us very soon.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kshow1(m): 12:00pm On May 27, 2009
@ poster : if you have ever been robbed at gun point you will feel jungle justice is best to decourage armed robberies.
Am saying these cos i have been a victim on some occasions.

1 Like

Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 27, 2009
tayoccu:

whoever is caught executing a "suspect" should in turn be executed in the same manner.

is this not thesame jungle justice you are trying to eradicate? . . .some people sef
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Nobody: 12:18pm On May 27, 2009
At last, someone who feels like I do. I have always wondered why we have to go this route.
I saw one live execution when I was coming back from school during my undergraduate days, in the evening. This dude was naked, on the ground, gasping, and some well dressed guy was pressing a burning tyre on the guys body. Gave me nightmares man, especially when I know some innocents have died like that.
Theres no law in that country of ours, and the citizens take the law into their own hands to protect themselves.
Some of those armed robbers are brutal, not being content with taking your cash, some might rape your wife and kill you ontop, simply because of beef that you are doing better than they are.
Still it doesn't give us the right to murder people in such a way. We cannot fight crime by acting like criminals.
God help us sha.
And I have been held up at gun point before, lest someone think I am just pontificating.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 12:48pm On May 27, 2009
Malthuss:

is this not the same jungle justice you are trying to eradicate? . . .some people sef

I mean the law should make that the penalty for such crimes.

ud4u:

Who is going to rise up against it, me and you in Nairaland 

OK oh I pray power reach us very soon.

it starts with each and every one of us.

kshow1:

@ poster : if you have ever been robbed at gun point you will feel jungle justice is best to decourage armed robberies.
Am saying these cos i have been a victim on some occasions.

on the contrary I've been robbed before, I know the feeling, but I still respect the sanctity of human life.

do follow this link it'll direct you to the video, but i must warn you it is not for the faint hearted.
http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/3rd_raikage/

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i578.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/3rd_raikage/stopthebrutality.flv">
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kalmebad(f): 1:11pm On May 27, 2009
@ Poster

To a reasonable extent, i feel your point but that does not mean am completely giving in to your suggestion

Look, there are pple dat really deserve that Jungle justice punishment with due respect
I will only agree if u list out some certain crime were it should be limited (jungle justice)

Take for an example, The woman that was assassinated inside a church in Apapa, Pls give me reason y i will not apply same to the culprit if i ever have the chance to, regardless not being related to Mrs Chidiac.

So my point is, there are some cases that Jungle Justice should be melted out on without without caring whose ox is gord.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by gamechange(m): 1:34pm On May 27, 2009
@poster

I agree with you whole heartedly, this should not be who we are, these acts were practiced and should have passed with miedevel  times. To suggest that this is ok if one has been a victim of crime makes me sick to the gut, being a victim of crime does not mean we should throw away our decorum, and let go off our principles and the strands that bind our sanity. We are no different from these folks if all we do is walk by and shake our heads or not voice our disapproval if we are witness to such lynching.

What happened to giving people a second chance, some of the prominent people in the world were once crooks (and yes some did commit murder, rape etc) and if each one of us was cut down the first time we ever did wrong, then maybe we would not be here to voice our opinion, I would love to see the ones amongst us who have no sin- sometimes circumstances make people do stupid things. One famous Nigerian Preacher always confessed he was once an armed robber, now see him winning souls for Christ, what if he had been caught and jungle justiced, we all need to see a bigger picture here, as humans we have the tendency to do evil or good, it is our frame of mind guided by our circumstance that ultimately makes that decision for us.

I pray none of us find ourselves in the wrong place at the wrong time, because again what is the guarantee that the person been pulmeted is not a case of mistaken identity, would you still then cry for 'jungle justice'

I believe enlightenment and education from our Government will also go a long way in stemming this tide.

Please let the law take its course,

The Federal Government needs to do a lot of work in the area of police investigative and prosecutorial service, the public as I gathered have lost confidence in some of their work.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by otukpo(f): 1:46pm On May 27, 2009
Jungle justice in some cases, is supported. for example, taking one's life brutally, jungle justice can be applied. Atimes, allowing law to take its course in a country like ours, denies justice at the end of the day.
for am armed robber, jungle justice is ok
For an assassin, same as above
anybody that takes another's life without looking back is not worth living cos if given another opportunity, he will do it over and over again. Period.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by bolu1(f): 2:31pm On May 27, 2009
Even the name "jungle justice" sounds very barbaric, for gods sake this is 2009. If we keep melting out jungle justice we can never progress as a people. How can a person participate in such a barbaric manner and still thinks he/she is a sane person. Psychologically you are marred and for some justice seekers, it becomes a thrill to participate in such barbaric behaviour.

Also what kind of messages are we sending to the children? Hey honey! come outside and see a person being burnt alive. Does it ever occur the the parents that the child witnessing this thing might have nightmares

Bottom line my people the GOVERNMENT, because if the country is running smoothly, there will be no filthy rich and extremely poor and no middle class. Hungry people turn to rubbers as means of survival.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 2:39pm On May 27, 2009
@ post.

Reason for jungle justice: People have been pushed to the wall. The legal system maybe works in other parts of the world.

I dont support jungle justice but Nigeria is a unique place in every way due to our culture and poverty mentality.

1. In Nigeria, if you take a robbery suspect to the police station, the same suspect will come back for your head the next day.

2. In Nigeria, due to the poverty / poverty mentality, almost every judge / police officer can be bribed - then the suspect will go scot free and then you become the fool. These same culprits will come and oppress you with their ill-gotten wealth.  cry

3. The prison terms in Nigeria are a joke. Corrupt officials / armed robbers / drug peddlers spend less than 2 yrs in jail then they come out to enjoy their spoils. Poor / young people see this and they want to follow suit - 2 yrs in jails in nothing compared to the millions already stolen or stached in bank accounts.

4. In Nigeria, scapegoats need to be make out of some people. See the rate at which kidnapping is blowing up  - deal with some culprits severely and sho you mean business.

Jungle justice in Nigeria does not mean these evil acts will stop but guess what, it'll reduce it cos most Nigerians do not want to die.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by oludashmi(f): 2:51pm On May 27, 2009
@poster
I agree with your points except for a case of assassination. Jungle justice indeed has claimed the lives of several innocent people. Some actually might have committed a criminal offense but the judgment given to them may be far more than they bargained for.

A woman gave a testimony in my church years ago about how God saved her younger brother from being killed illegally. According to her, her brother bought a recharge card from a lady in Agidingbi area and asked for change from N500 or N200 (forgotten) but the lady argued that he gave her a lower denomination and will get no change. In the course of argument, the guy pointed at his money in the lady's hand but the next thing she did was shout Thief! Thief!!

And before the guy knew it, there came these crowd pursuing him and tore his cloth leaving him naked. By the time they were trying to get petrol, the guy managed to run with all his strength till he got to a family friend's house. But the crowd stood at the man's house asking him to come out, they had to call on the police which God used to save his life.

In this kind of situation, even if the guy had stolen a recharge card or the lady's N200, should death be the penalty? NO!!
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 3:04pm On May 27, 2009
I take it that most of the people that support jungle justice haven't seen the video i posted, I'd like you to watch it http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/3rd_raikage/ , then ask yourself : is this justice?

regardless of what the men did, they didn't deserve to die that way.
in this modern day and age where the death sentence is all but abolished, we still carry out extra judicial killings? it is a big shame.

to err is human, to forgive divine
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 3:30pm On May 27, 2009
@ tayoccu

I understand you - I chose not to watch the video because I hate and detest violence. Although I'm think the executioners might be applying their crude methods to pass a message, there are more decent and subtle ways to do it.

But let me ask you one question: 

If you are held in the neck and being chocked by someone whose sole mission on earth is to kill you or ur child(God forbid), what would you do?
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 3:50pm On May 27, 2009
I will defend myself,but only within the limits of self defence.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by otukpo(f): 4:00pm On May 27, 2009
kokoye:

@ post.

Reason for jungle justice: People have been pushed to the wall. The legal system maybe works in other parts of the world.

I dont support jungle justice but Nigeria is a unique place in every way due to our culture and poverty mentality.

1. In Nigeria, if you take a robbery suspect to the police station, the same suspect will come back for your head the next day.

2. In Nigeria, due to the poverty / poverty mentality, almost every judge / police officer can be bribed - then the suspect will go scot free and then you become the fool. These same culprits will come and oppress you with their ill-gotten wealth. cry

3. The prison terms in Nigeria are a joke. Corrupt officials / armed robbers / drug peddlers spend less than 2 yrs in jail then they come out to enjoy their spoils. Poor / young people see this and they want to follow suit - 2 yrs in jails in nothing compared to the millions already stolen or stached in bank accounts.

4. In Nigeria, scapegoats need to be make out of some people. See the rate at which kidnapping is blowing up - deal with some culprits severely and sho you mean business.

Jungle justice in Nigeria does not mean these evil acts will stop but guess what, it'll reduce it cos most Nigerians do not want to die.

You have said it well.

i wont watch the video cos i hate violence. i wont even stand to watch it take place.
Not that i prefer jungle justice but in a country like Nigeria, it is necessary in some situations.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 27, 2009
Kokoye said it all. Nigerians will make do with mob justice for as long as they know they wont get fair treatment within the legal system. And our leaders will keep the legal system inefficient so that they can keep breaking the law, looting the treasury and going scot free. But the good news is that we can and we will put a stop to this inhumanity, contrary to what some of the respondents on the poll above believe
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 4:26pm On May 27, 2009
remember two wrongs don't make it right.
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Becomrich: 4:35pm On May 27, 2009
nice one
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 5:16pm On May 27, 2009
tayoccu:

I will defend myself,but only within the limits of self defence.

What are the limits of self-defence when one's life is at stake??
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 5:33pm On May 27, 2009
well the law states that "the force you use in defending yourself should not exceed the force applied by the assailant" (or something like that) so you are not allowed to shoot someone coming @ you with a baseball bat. like they say the law is an ass
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by kokoye(m): 5:58pm On May 27, 2009
tayoccu:

well the law states that "the force you use in defending yourself should not exceed the force applied by the assailant" (or something like that) so you are not allowed to shoot someone coming @ you with a baseball bat. like they say the law is an ass

That is true, but in the example i clearly stated, what if the person already has his hands on your neck and is chocking you? , or better still, what if the person has a gun??

Simply put, what if the person is out to kill you??
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by hackney(m): 6:20pm On May 27, 2009
Jungle justice is the reason why all those people you see toiling are not robbers yet

Another place with good policing,then maybe but stop J.J. in Nigeria? are you a thief?
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by bashdecash(m): 7:21pm On May 27, 2009
this is very bad, but i can see it happens mainly in the south/west especially LAGOS. why?
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by onyeben: 8:24pm On May 27, 2009
Have u ever been robbed at gun point and shot? DEATH TO ALL ROBBERS, THIEVES, ROBBERS/THIEVES TO BE, angry
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by platinumnk(f): 11:22pm On May 27, 2009
some people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, or can be set up to look like an aremed robber.

Justice notmatter what must be due
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by Nobody: 12:06am On May 28, 2009
Well!
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by blackspade(m): 3:33am On May 28, 2009
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . .

tongue
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by xammy(m): 5:02am On May 28, 2009
i will like to inform you guyz that with the help of JUNGLE JUSTICE robbry in AJ CITY was eradicated. what they have now is pickin pocket squad which are mainly conductors and friends. so, do u want them to come back? check the state anty robbry squad SARS in ikeja, they have more AJ guyz than all the getto put together

change!
Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by mrsb(f): 9:22am On May 28, 2009
@ Poster - sorry but if you'd had some high/stoned armed robbers with their guns in your face and their hands all over your body ripping off your jewellery and clothes - you would think differently.

I'm not coming out supporting jungle justice per se but when you realise that no one even tried to find these people and bring them to justice and no one gives a Bleep that you were almost raped and murdered, then its hard to turn the other cheek and wish them well as fellow human beings.

I appreciate that some of these people are a product of their environment but still not blameless - many people are in desperate situations but not all stoop to these levels.

And yes - overall the government are to blame. My own experience came post elections in 2007 when area boys were armed by the politicians in the run up to the elections and then left free to roam when the wannabe governors had no more use for them.

1 Like

Re: Stop "jungle Justice" by tayoccu(m): 9:47am On May 28, 2009
hackney:

Jungle justice is the reason why all those people you see toiling are not robbers yet

Another place with good policing,then maybe but stop J.J. in Nigeria? are you a thief?

now that was way immature, but I'll let it slide.

tell me which is more serious crime,armed robbery or murder?
now if we execute people for robbery, what should we do to the murderers?
cos all the people carrying out jungle justice are murderers.

I'm ashamed that my "some of my fellow nairalanders" think it's okay to burn a man to death  cry cry cry
whatever a man has done no man deverves to die like that, we don't even kill animals like that,then why should we do such to fellow homosapiens?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Rescinds Judgement Against Edirin Oghenejode In Wife Battery Case / WARNING: Very Graphic Content. A Man Butchered By Cultists. / Bet9ja Disabled My Account Without Any Reason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.