Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,080 members, 7,835,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Who Killed Our Democracy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Killed Our Democracy? (3356 Views)

Buhari’ll Destroy Our Democracy –fayose / Protect Our Democracy.. I Stand With Saraki / Ombatse Traditionalists: Police Killed Our Members So We Killed 95 Of Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On May 27, 2009
@Poster, WE KILLED DEMOCRACY. The Nigerian People Killed it by ALLOWING TRIBALISM as a PART of our Democracy!!

We cried when Racism was a part of the US Constitution But we WHOLLY ENDORSED Racism by allowing it as Part of Our constitution and PUSHED as a people for it to ensure we had our part in the government, even when common sense says it ain’t supposed to be so.

We complain when the other side plays the TRIBALISM/RACE card, but we so happily celebrate our turn to PLAY the same card.

NIGERIANS as a whole killed Democracy.

P.S --- Personally, I don’t think Democracy is dead. . .  Just think what we see today is just the extension of the Nigerian problem turning yet another good opportunity, bad.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by simplychic(f): 3:16pm On May 27, 2009
pdp
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ronkeenuf(f): 3:28pm On May 27, 2009
[center][/center]RE: Who killed our democracy
Nobody killed our democracy, reason is that something not yet born cannot die,ie, DEMOCRACY IS NOT YET BORN IN NIGERIA so it could not have died already! this is to say democracy still has a chance in Nigeria so we have to 'give birth' to it, nurture and guard it jealously like a loved child and work hard to make it 'live happily ever after'. We all have a role to play, dont let us relax while some 'marauders and murderers' snatch Nigeria away from us.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by alex406(m): 3:33pm On May 27, 2009
Mentioning names will sound too bad but we all know within ourselves,so dont let us deceive ourselves.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ud4u: 4:16pm On May 27, 2009
We have never had true democracy in Nigeria.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by hackney(m): 5:21pm On May 27, 2009
I think we sent the whites packing too early to learn anything from them.
Now we dont know how to rule ourselves ; some politicians dont even know what they are supposed to be doing.And im sure the whites would have eventually laid down a good political structure  and rooted  down super-industries

I guess with our big heads we thought we could but now look at us; riddled with tribalism which will never go away.
Infact a tribe in power will like to cart away everything because the rulership may rotate away;
So how will  true democracy ever be?

Look at Hong Kong ; have you ever heard of tribalism over there (oyinbo left them in '97)?

And Nigeria would have had large white settlements which is an advantage because civilization and development follows them around (lets leave the validity of this statement for another day)

Our heads are made of rocks cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
(do you think a mad man knows he's mad?)
LMAO
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by shanpe: 5:31pm On May 27, 2009
I think its high time we start saying positive things about Nigeria.
I hear people say Nigeria is a failed state and all that cant we just say something
good about this country for onceDemocracy in 9geria is just 10yrs old, i think with the
Right attitude and the Right leaders we will get there if only we can start by Electing
the Right people,
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by hackney(m): 5:45pm On May 27, 2009
And where are you going to find the right leaders?
The potentially 'right' leaders either don't have money or the muscle to contest or have no interest so they will not materialise.

If YOU were made the president of Naija today for the next 20 years,what will you think will change by the time you are done? You will have to arrest everybody down to the councillors stealing office seats.
Nigerians are just the way they are and you can't change it.
That is why its a special case ; do you know what happens to people that fight corruption in that country?;
my friend don't risk your life for NOTHING because it will just carry on regardless

No be Abiola them kill for prison for nothing? That man was our last chance at decency in that dump

You see , there is always a first time for every thing and Nigeria along with the middle east issue look like PROBLEMS WITHOUT SOLN
We are special my dear
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by hoeyeadoe: 7:27pm On May 27, 2009
Shanpe, you av a good point. We need to vote for the right people and I blv there are gross of them.

The problem with this movement is none else than the ELECTORAL SYSTEM and CORRUPTION- having a free and fair election is far fetched if we still have appointed block heads as civil servants and ministers. How do you reckon with that?

not to worry, there's gonna be a change, and we r getting there.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Pepeye(f): 8:04pm On May 27, 2009
Has Nigerians ever known true democracy?
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by HAH: 8:53pm On May 27, 2009
To me Obasanjo killed our democracy he had the opportunity of starting on a clean slate after the long military rule but he misused it not only that he introduced another dimension to our electoral system by conducting the poorest election in the history of the world. before now rigging use to be done by either snatching ballot box or fraudulent thump printing at polling stations, but now courtesy of obasanjo election are rigged by inec even before the election .He also introduced using soldiers to rig in Nigeria WHAT A PITY
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by xterra2(m): 11:14pm On May 27, 2009
Very Simple.Those PDP people killed our democracy
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Oxone(m): 3:27am On May 28, 2009
we never had democracy in the first place, undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
what we had was a semblance of one which is not the same thing
*hopes we get there soon*
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by solosimple(m): 8:33am On May 28, 2009
I understand you have to live to die. Democracy in Nigeria is yet unborn and therefore impossible to have bin killed except the Military regimes committed accelerated abortions. Now, that's the vital bit.

The abortion that the first military govt had disrupted the system systematically with continuous carelessness in the form of ethnic rivalry, religious conflict, indisciplline of out people= ineffective or in fact failed institutions, and baba won (their father) CORRUPTION.

Back to yur ?, we have never experienced anything close to a democracy in 9ja, prerequisites being freedom of speech which ultimately includes the media ability to unbiased and deadly professional, respect for human and civil rights, rule of law abbl (e.t.c or ati be be lo)

"Just as the regimen of the healthy is not suited to the sick, one must not try
to govern a corrupt people by the same Laws as those that suit a good people.
Nothing proves these maxims better than the long life of the Republic of Venice, which still
retains a simulacrum of existence, solely because its laws are suited only to wicked men."
Rousseau (1997/1755, p. 135).

NOT SURE WE EVER HAD ONE

IF I AM WRONG PLEASE TELL ME WHEN WE DID Huh
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by solosimple(m): 8:35am On May 28, 2009
Democracy in Nigeria, if ever, was well before my time. undecided undecided
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by tymoti(m): 9:11am On May 28, 2009
some guys are so certain we never had a democracy. So can the house tell me, what are we celebrating tomorrow?

Sometimes, our leaders take us for fools. Very regrettable!!!!
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by kshow1(m): 9:26am On May 28, 2009
tymoti:

some guys are so certain we never had a democracy. So can the house tell me, what are we celebrating tomorrow?

Sometimes, our leaders take us for fools. Very regrettable!!!!

Nigerians all over the world are celebrating handover to PEOPLE DECEIVING PEOPLE (PDP) and not DEMOCRACY DAY
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ifele(m): 10:18am On May 28, 2009
Why are yu folks stressing yurselves.

Nigeria was bleeped up b4 yu were born it will be bleeped up after yur gone.

Ma jeki Nigeria ya e ni were.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ronkeenuf(f): 10:25am On May 28, 2009
Tomorow is certainly not our democracy day cos, like its mostly agreed, DEMOCRACY IS NOT YET BORN IN NIGERIA.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ronkeenuf(f): 10:29am On May 28, 2009
Nigeria was bleeped up b4 yu were born it will be bleeped up after yur gone.

Thats only true if we all believe so. The buidiing of the great nations that we know of today started on a day, ours can also be,
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:07pm On May 28, 2009
When Our Lives Roll Small He Go Go Knock Head For Wall, Tree, Stone
When I See Say Our Lives Dey Roll Like One Ye-Ye Ball
Wey One Ye-Ye Wind Dey Blow From One Ye-Ye Corner
I Put My Mouth For Song: “Kalakuta Show”

We Nigerians are just bleeping bastards, we deserve our lot in Hell.

either it is coded in our genes to be infinitesimally docile or we are plain brain dead idiots who cannot tell when it is time to stop tolerating and start saying no and actually meaning it.

We sat back and let ASUU and students do the talking and actions and politicians like Tinubu and Olajumoke then rolled in to take their stand as democracy's messiah's bloody gays have turned to mini tyrants in their old age.

I am so happy we keep going deeper and deeper into chaos, slowly there would be no place for self-denial, no religions camps every sunday or boonke shows or democracy days will hide the truth from our eyes any longer
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Nezan(m): 4:41pm On May 28, 2009
The new democratic experiment died in infancy, when OBJ was fraudulently elected, the coffin was nailed when OBJ rigged himself to a second term, and was buried when OBJ wanted to go for a 3rd term, shikena!!
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by init4dmoni(m): 6:34pm On May 28, 2009
don't think we ever had democracy to start with, though if we had it was killed of that money and the new monkey is putting more nails in the coffin tongue
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by AmAlone: 9:09pm On May 28, 2009
To be sincere,
we never had a democracy!
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by AmAlone: 9:11pm On May 28, 2009
To be sincere,
we never had a democracy!
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by oge4real(f): 2:12am On May 29, 2009
Mr GREED.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Makavelis(m): 4:11am On May 29, 2009
1. Those soldier boys
2. U and i
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by md4real(m): 11:17pm On May 29, 2009
you, i and other greedy bastards called politicians
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by ironrod(f): 5:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
hmmmmmmmm sad
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by louchi: 12:56am On Jun 02, 2009
Its a failed state indeed. how can we save Nigeria. I'm willing to try even in my little state of origin. IF WE ALL do a little it might help in the long run.
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by Nezan(m): 6:31pm On Jun 02, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Who Killed Our Democracy? by clareomiz(f): 2:30pm On Jun 03, 2009
PDP
PDP
PDP
PDP

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake Universities Busted In Lagos. / Democracy: What Is Your Most Important Dividend(s) Of Democracy? / Buhari’s Campaign Crumbles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.