Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,478 members, 7,812,471 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

“The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss (2239 Views)

Buhari's 2016 Budget Speech: “the Budget Of Change” / Fayose Wears Short Knickers To Sign The Budget (Photos) / FIRS Boss, Tunde Fowler And Wife At Event In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

“The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by realjoker(m): 12:56am On Nov 26, 2015
Acting Executive Chairman Babatunde William Fowler, yesterday during the screening for his confirmation as Tax Boss at Senate said that The Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) is targeting to raise N4.5 Trillion through taxes in 2016 for the nations coffers.
He also noted that the revenue from the country’s Value Added Tax (VAT) would be increased from N500m to N2.5trillion in 2016. He stated “Our projection of N4.5trillion does not include an increase in VAT. This is because we are of the view that tax should be fair.”
He also spoke on the possibility of adequate funding for the proposed N8 trillion budget for 2016 saying: “The Vice President was not aware of this projection before disclosing the proposed N8tr budget but the budget is possible. If oil can generate N1trillion, Customs and FIRS can generate N4.5tr, so the budget of N8tr is quite doable.”

2 Likes

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by realjoker(m): 12:57am On Nov 26, 2015
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by Okanokan(m): 1:41am On Nov 26, 2015
Don't deceive Nigerians by sheer braggadaccio, what govt is about to do with 8trillion budget is to mortgage the future of the next 10 generation. By the time Buhari leaves our debt burden will worse than what we borrowed between 1960 to 2006.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by LastSurvivor: 2:19am On Nov 26, 2015
Even when government is still complaining of #18,000 minimum wage?
Stop living in jurassic world oga..

2 Likes

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by mikolo80: 3:04am On Nov 26, 2015
Okanokan:
Don't deceive Nigerians by sheer braggadaccio, what govt is about to do with 8trillion budget is to mortgage the future of the next 10 generation. By the time Buhari leaves our debt burden will worse than what we borrowed between 1960 to 2006.
o you think it's the clueless one and his cohorts still in charge. no my friend, it's LA general

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by disloman(m): 6:40am On Nov 26, 2015
Okanokan:
They are not blockheads like you.For once in your lifetime,Have a positive thinking.

6 Likes

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by Scholes007(m): 7:02am On Nov 26, 2015
If it is do able without borrowing excessively or causing pain to tax payers let it be done.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 7:08am On Nov 26, 2015
This is good news coming from the man that increased internally generated revenue of Lagos from about N2bn to about N 20bn monthly.

We can't wait for the budget to be presented and analysed. Better days are ahead of us.

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:08am On Nov 26, 2015
Okanokan:
did u read anywhere the boss talked abt debt?

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 7:10am On Nov 26, 2015
Okanokan:
Wailer, whether you like it or not, PMB at his worst is far better than Jonathan. PMB has put the right persons in the right place and we shall soon start to see the good result.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:18am On Nov 26, 2015
I still don't understand how government plan to raise the N8trillion. The rhetoric by FIRS is only assumption and NOT projection. He talked about not increasing VAT but at the same time posited that he plans to increase the VAT from N500m to N2.5trillion ie 500% increment? Is he a magician? How can Custom Generate N2trillion in 2016? I don't understand why these people are bent on giving Nigerians false hope.

This N8trillion is undoable! FACT...

3 Likes

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 7:24am On Nov 26, 2015
This man is not conversant with revenue sharing formula where the FG gets only 52%.

Is the proposed N4.5tr meant for Federal Government alone?

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by ishiamu(m): 7:29am On Nov 26, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I still don't understand how government plan to raise the N8trillion. The rhetoric by FIRS is only assumption and NOT projection. He talked about not increasing VAT but at the same time posited that he plans to increase the VAT from N500m to N2.5trillion ie 500% increment? Is he a magician? How can Custom Generate N2trillion in 2016? I don't understand why these people are bent on giving Nigerians false hope.

We only observe

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by rolchi(m): 8:00am On Nov 26, 2015
Another APC Joke!
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 26, 2015
8trillions budget is not doable, it will only bring about hardship on Nigerian. the federal government need to take things one step at a time. start from 6trillions then later increase it to 8tr. in subsequent budgets
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 8:22am On Nov 26, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Not increasing VAT paid on goods and services doesn't mean that earnings from VAT cannot be increased. What he has to do is to expand the net of VAT to include more goods and services that are not currently being taxed.
N2trillion is about N166.5bn per month in a year. If Lagos could raise over N20bn in a month, Nigeria should have no problem raising eight times of that figure.
For the fact that he did it in Lagos is enough for me to believe him to repeat it at the federal level.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 8:25am On Nov 26, 2015
eliment:
8trillions budget is not doable, it will only bring about hardship on Nigerian. the federal government need to take things one step at a time. start from 6trillions then later increase it to 8tr. in subsequent budgets
The people talking have more superior knowledge about this issue than you and I. If the FIRS boss, the VP and other key persons believe it's doable, why should we think otherwise without having access to the same information they have?
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by realborn(m): 8:34am On Nov 26, 2015
Perhaps a tall order.

But with a frugal system, 80% of the target is doable.

I foresee this administration exposing how financially irresponsible the last administrations have been.

Watching....

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by abouzaid: 8:49am On Nov 26, 2015
juju economics, Nigerians prepare, tougher days are ahead with these propaganda merchants. until they break down how they intend to do so, all na propaganda.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:49am On Nov 26, 2015
PassingShot:

Not increasing VAT paid on goods and services doesn't mean that earnings from VAT cannot be increased. What he has to do is to expand the net of VAT to include more goods and services that are not currently being taxed.
N2trillion is about N166.5bn per month in a year. If Lagos could raise over N20bn in a month, Nigeria should have no problem raising eight times of that figure.
For the fact that he did it in Lagos is enough for me to believe him to repeat it at the federal level.
The tax of Lagos state has to do with multiple taxing system by Fashola which many termed inappropriate. Also, the number of tax-paying individuals and corporations in Lagos state cannot be compared to what is obtainable in other 36 states. Which organisation do you want to extract such figure from in Abia, Bayelsa, Anambra etc states? Even states like Kano that is more populated that Lagos state and the commercial capital of Northern Nigeria does NOT generate up to N8billion monthly. Rivers state generate about N12billion monthly. That of Delta is about N10billion. These are states with MNO's outlets and expat workers.

So how will FIRS achieve the 500% increase in generation? Who will they tax? Will they introduce multiple taxing system and drive away/scare investors? Which items will they tax that they haven't be taxing? Will they increase VAT by 500%? Oga this is UNDOABLE! Fact!

Same with Custom

2 Likes

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by abouzaid: 8:54am On Nov 26, 2015
PassingShot:

The people talking have more superior knowledge about this issue than you and I. If the FIRS boss, the VP and other key persons believe it's doable, why should we think otherwise without having access to the same information they have?
story for the gods, they should tell us how they intend to do it instead of looking for cheap publicity. any money borrowed from abroad now that the naira is loosing value to the dollar would mean that poor innocent Nigerians would work five times harder to pay back that money. also borrowing within the country means lack of credit for business and households to borrow from.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:02am On Nov 26, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

The tax of Lagos state has to do with multiple taxing system by Fashola which many termed inappropriate. Also, the number of tax-paying individuals and corporations in Lagos state cannot be compared to what is obtainable in other 36 states. Which organisation do you want to extract such figure from in Abia, Bayelsa, Anambra etc states? Even states like Kano that is more populated that Lagos state and the commercial capital of Northern Nigeria does NOT generate up to N8billion monthly. Rivers state generate about N12billion monthly. That of Delta is about N10billion. These are states with MNO's outlets and expat workers.

So how will FIRS achieve the 500% increase in generation? Who will they tax? Will they introduce multiple taxing system and drive away/scare investors? Which items will they tax that they haven't be taxing? Will they increase VAT by 500%? Oga this is UNDOABLE! Fact!

Same with Custom

You will marvel, if you are shown the number of tax defaulters in NiGeria. Just yesterday, one of the Companies, I do business with, requested for my TIN before processing my September invoice- Meaning they want to deduct VAT @ Source.

Let me put it in a Simple Way:

Revenue From Custom: 1.5Trillion

FIRS-. 4.5Trillion

NNPC and other Agencies, 1Trillion

Miscellaneous includinG borrowing-1Trillion

It is very very doable!
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 9:15am On Nov 26, 2015
PassingShot:

Just like ACN governors whose projected annual budgets manage to attain 45% - 55% actual performance except Lagos State with average 79% performance per annum.

Propaganda and lies won't take Nigeria to anywhere.

It is time we start asking how and means from politicians and public officers when they make these unrealistic projections and promises.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:19am On Nov 26, 2015
Agreed that we have lots of Tax defaulters that might be defrauding Nigeria of about 60% of what she is supposed to generate from tax. A projection of N800 billion to N1trillion appears more realisable than the N2.5 trillion. I will campaign for the FIRS boss to be President if Nigeria can generate N2trillion from tax without introducing multiple taxing system.

NgeneUkwenu

You will marvel, if you are shown the number of tax defaulters in NiGeria. Just yesterday, one of the Companies, I do business with, requested for my TIN before processing my September invoice- Meaning they want to deduct VAT @ Source.

Let me put it in a Simple Way:

Revenue From Custom: 1.5Trillion

FIRS-. 4.5Trillion

NNPC and other Agencies, 1Trillion

Miscellaneous includinG borrowing-1Trillion

It is very very doable!

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 9:24am On Nov 26, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Same with Custom
That Kano, Rivers and many other states have failed to properly harnessed the opportunity offered by VAT and other taxes doesn't mean FG cannot do it especially with the need to. Do you know how many SMEs, individuals and corporate organizations that should be paying tax but are not currently paying? Ol boy, please drop this mentality of "undoable" just because you think don't know how it can be done.

I repeat, the amount Nigeria currently generates through tax is way below what it should be. Many officers of FIRS enrich themselves through sharp practices by conniving with many of the corporate businesses to evade tax. Those corporate entities only pay just a fraction of what they're supposed to pay to the corrupt govt officials. If Fowler can stop such sharp practices and make these companies pay their due, raising N2trillion is a piece of cake.

If Fowler says N7tn or 8trillion budget is doable, I will take his words over yours any day any time.

1 Like

Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by myopinion2011: 9:28am On Nov 26, 2015
[quote author=PassingShot post=40414770]
N2trillion is about N166.5bn per month in a year. If Lagos could raise over N20b n in a month, Nigeria should have no problem raising eight times of that figure.
For the fact that he did it in Lagos is enough for me to believe him to repeat it at the federal level.[/quote in case u don't know Lagos alone shares 50% of Nigerian economy. If you are in doubt ask SLS fmr CBN Boss. Mo State in Nigeria can compete with Lagos I'm terms of IGR, where your slave master is the Land.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:37am On Nov 26, 2015
I'm only stating an opinion that is influenced by what is on ground. When VP Yemi made that N8trilion statement, virtually every financial analyst asked "HOW". Fowler has come with his own but he bever said HOW! It is not enough to quote figures, it is better when such is matched by projections and not assumption. I recall maintaining that the N500 unemployment pay is unrealistic(I still stand by that position) but some people thought I was only 'opposing'. The truth is that until we start asking the HOW, we will continue to build castle in the air.

Btw: I never said my opinion is an authority. I asked HOW?
PassingShot:

That Kano, Rivers and many other states have failed to properly harnessed the opportunity offered by VAT and other taxes doesn't mean FG cannot do it especially with the need to. Do you know how many SMEs, individuals and corporate organizations that should be paying tax but are not currently paying? Ol boy, please drop this mentality of "undoable" just because you think don't know how it can be done.

I repeat, the amount Nigeria currently generates through tax is way below what it should be. Many officers of FIRS enrich themselves through sharp practices by conniving with many of the corporate businesses to evade tax. Those corporate entities only pay just a fraction of what they're supposed to pay to the corrupt govt officials. If Fowler can stop such sharp practices and make these companies pay their due, raising N2trillion is a piece of cake.

If Fowler says N7tn or 8trillion budget is doable, I will take his words over yours any day any time.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by PassingShot(m): 9:41am On Nov 26, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I'm only stating an opinion that is influenced by what is on ground. When VP Yemi made that N8trilion statement, virtually every financial analyst asked "HOW". Fowler has come with his own but he bever said HOW! It is not enough to quote figures, it is better when such is matched by projections and not assumption. I recall maintaining that the N500 unemployment pay is unrealistic(I still stand by that position) but some people thought I was only 'opposing'. The truth is that until we start asking the HOW, we will continue to build castle in the air.

Btw: I never said my opinion is an authority. I asked HOW?
But the FIRS boss just told you he could raise N2tn in 2016 by increasing earnings from tax. That's one of the "hows". Customs can also increase revenue by about 50% of what is projected for 2015 (N900bn) to around N1.4tn.
This discussion will be enriched when the budget is revealed. So, all criticism should wait till then.
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:55am On Nov 26, 2015
PassingShot:

But the FIRS boss just told you he could raise N2tn in 2016 by increasing earnings from tax. That's one of the "hows". Customs can also increase revenue by about 50% of what is projected for 2015 (N900bn) to around N1.4tn.
This discussion will be enriched when the budget is revealed. So, all criticism should wait till then.
How will he increase revenue from tax by 500% without increasing VAT by 300-400%? Anyway, we are waiting for the budget
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by Amaso99(m): 10:20am On Nov 26, 2015
My budget of next yr is also do able atleast i will be geting 60k frm the 8tr naira budget
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by thundafire: 10:34am On Nov 26, 2015
8trillion is doable cs u nd ur President Buhari goin round dy world in 11 days will give out enormous fine 2 companies in order 2 meet dy target
Re: “The Budget Of N8tr Is Doable” – FIRS Boss by Jesusloveyou: 11:15am On Nov 26, 2015
Okanokan:
u have already program ur mind to be foolish, that is why u don't bother to read, in case u miss d very line, Mr fowler said firs can generate 4.5tr naira alone, add that to custom and oil, that wil be more than 8tr naira budget without recourse to borrowing, try to have common sense next time

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tht Moment Gen Yakubu Gowon Had That His Govt Has Been Taken Over In 1975 / Almighty Obasanjo Prostrate Publicly For The New Ooni Of Ife - Photos / Nigeria Second Civil War Is Coming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.