Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,981 members, 7,803,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

How Am I To Pay My Tithe? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Am I To Pay My Tithe? (1886 Views)

What Did Pope Francis Really Mean By "Who Am I To Judge Gay People"? / Pope Francis: Who Am I To Judge Gay People? / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by sleekdot(m): 7:44am On May 26, 2009
I have a company,I pay myself salary,should I pay may tithe from my salary or from the company's profit, or both
I have been paying just from my salary!!
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 8:34am On May 26, 2009
sleekdot:

should I pay may tithe from my salary or from the company's profit, or both

[list][li]Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give,
not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things
at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
~~ [2 Corinthians 9:7-8][/li][/list]
Your income is enough - that's what you earn personally. Consider your company's funds as capital investment ['the initial capital and the long-term expenditures made to establish and maintain a business or investment property'] - it is from there that you maintain your company, pay your staff, increase your productivity, etc. Let whatever you give (it does not have to be a rigid "10%"wink flow cheerfully - whether you consider giving from your personal income or from the company you established. May God increase and multiply the productivity of your company. cheesy
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 11:57am On May 26, 2009
@Pilgrim.1
finally you are begining to make some sense on this topic.

@Poster
better still you can give it to the poor. Please note that as a christian you are not under compulsion to tithe so in effect you give tithes and NOT pay it.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by sleekdot(m): 1:06pm On May 26, 2009
Is it compulsory to pay my tithe to my church?
i get confused a lot on this issue
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by sleekdot(m): 1:11pm On May 26, 2009
@KunleOshob, thanks I get I give not pay
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 1:20pm On May 26, 2009
sleekdot:

As my sister pilgrim said earlier tithing is not to be done under compulsion so it is not compulsary to "pay" it to your church. If however out of you own free will decide to set a part a portion of your income to do God's work you can give it to any church that you genuinely believe would use it to glorify God or better still you can use it to better the life/lives of other human beings by using it to assist the less priviledged and God would reward you richly.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:41pm On May 26, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Pilgrim.1
finally you are begining to make some sense on this topic.

I hear - perhaps you're finally beginning to understand my point. wink

sleekdot:

You don't have to be confused about this subject. Nothing is "compulsory" about Christian giving - whether tithes, offerings, alms, contribution, donations, etc. (at least, that's how I've always viewed it). Perhaps the 'confusion' may be due in part to people assuming that giving is a rigid religious "duty" in the sense that it must be binding . . . or else! No, for such an attitude is contrary to what God would desire for you. People give for various reasons; and if you're giving to promote God's work in your church, do so cheerfully and with determination.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 1:44pm On May 26, 2009
Poster

You dont have to pay your tithes, it is not compulsory!
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by sleekdot(m): 10:50pm On May 27, 2009
MrCrackles:

Poster

You dont have to pay your tithes, it is not compulsory!

how do you mean?
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by MrCrackles(m): 11:02pm On May 27, 2009
sleekdot:

how do you mean?

What do you mean by how do you mean?

Dont you have a bible?

Dont let your pastor brainwash you!

TITHES aint cumpulsory!
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Badriyyah(f): 6:25am On May 28, 2009
Go to the streets and help the poor, help your community.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Image123(m): 9:20am On May 28, 2009
Goo too thee streete ande helpe thee poa. The new improved anti tithe motto, like they ever really help the poor.
Bring ye all the tithe into the store house, that there may be meat in my house, that's the unchanging Word of God, after that you can do the other. God and His people take PRIORITY above any other in a Christian's life.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Image123(m): 9:22am On May 28, 2009
Goo too thee streete ande helpe thee poa. The new improved anti tithe motto, like they ever really help the poor.
Bring ye all the tithe into the store house, that there may be meat in my house, that's the unchanging Word of God, after that you can do the other. God and His people take PRIORITY above any other in a Christian's life.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 9:46am On May 28, 2009
@Image123
You still haven't stopped this your game of deception and leading people away from the grace of christ.

Image123:

I don't know how meat that was written in malachi became money in today's churches. Classical example of scriptural manipulation / twisting of scriptures.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Image123(m): 10:55am On May 28, 2009
@kunleOshob
you still haven't stopped making vague assertions ehn Kunle. I wasn't playing any game, I was quoting scriptures.
I don't know how meat that was written in Malachi became money
The same way manna became bread in the Bible.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 12:11pm On May 28, 2009
Badriyyah:

Go to the streets and help the poor, help your community.

Image123:

The new improved anti tithe motto, like they ever really help the poor.

Well said, Image123. Helping the poor does not denigrate giving in Church. Anti-tithers' favourite 'poetic hymn' of 'go to the street and help the poor' never translates into reality - they only sing it, but hardly do what they say.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 12:41pm On May 28, 2009
How do we know whether or not KunleOshob goes out into the streets to help the poor? We know nothing of him but what he writes on nairaland so it would be unfair to use examples from his life (which we are obviously making up cos we know nothing of his life) as counter arguments. We should just respond to what he writes with words of our own. Discussions are less messy when people stick strictly to what they know and only that.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 12:44pm On May 28, 2009
Pastor AIO:

How do we know whether or not KunleOshob goes out into the streets to help the poor? We know nothing of him but what he writes on nairaland so it would be unfair to use examples from his life (which we are obviously making up cos we know nothing of his life) as counter arguments. We should just respond to what he writes with words of our own. Discussions are less messy when people stick strictly to what they know and only that.

KunleOshob knows nothing about the personal lives of everyone who tithes. How does he know if tithers are not helping the poor? How does he know that? It is unfair for him to always and persistently accuse everyone who teaches about tithe in the manner he has been doing and using that as counter-arguments against the subject of tithe in itself. Discussions are less messy when people like him can stick to the subject and stop pointing accusing fingers at others unnecessarily.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 12:57pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

KunleOshob knows nothing about the personal lives of everyone who tithes. How does he know if tithers are not helping the poor? How does he know that? It is unfair for him to always and persistently accuse everyone who teaches about tithe in the manner he has been doing and using that as counter-arguments against the subject of tithe in itself. Discussions are less messy when people like him can stick to the subject and stop pointing accusing fingers at others unnecessarily.

I would appreciate it if my name is left out of this topic as i am not the topic of this discussion. That apart my writings are not against tithers but against the criminally inspired so -called men of God who manipulate and twist scripture in deceiving them to tithe. As i have always said it is pity for those who tithe ignorantly becos they are not only constantly being robbed, they are also being raped and made to feel good about it.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 1:07pm On May 28, 2009
From what I understand about Kunle's crusade (for want of a better term), his bone of contention is with the practice of extortion in the name of tithes.  Of course I cannot speak for the guy, but that is just my understanding of what he is saying.  

Okay this thread is not about whether or not one should tithe but rather about how one who has decided to tithe should go about it.  

I would imagine that the answer to the poster's inquiry would depend on whether his company was plc-ed or whether he owned it with a partner or whether he was a sole trader.  

I wonder . . . if he paid a percentage of the company's profits as tithe (hence robbing the shareholders or any other partners) and the company went into the red, could he go to church and ask the church to pay him 10% of his losses.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:12pm On May 28, 2009
KunleOshob:

I would appreciate it if my name is left out of this topic as i am not the topic of this discussion. That apart my writings are not against tithers but against the criminally inspired so -called men of God who manipulate and twist scripture in deceiving them to tithe. As i have always said it is pity for those who tithe ignorantly becos they are not only constantly being robbed, they are also being raped and made to feel good about it.

First, I must apologise in specifically mentioning your name in my reply, if that made you feel bad. So many people have appealed, discussed, pointed out, reasoned and called out that accusations and slurring others should not be the point, but that we should rather discuss the subject. My mentioning your name was in response to Pastor AIO's post/observation (he mentioned you as well, though).

Tithers are not being "raped", and it is unfortunate that this is where your efforts to discourage tithing has taken you to. You assume that any and all pastors/teachers who mention tithe must by default be a "criminally inspired so -called man of God", and no matter how many times other discussants have asked you to carefully consider what you're doing to yourself, your ego would not make you see reason. Since even you havve said that it is "perfectly okay" for Christians to tithe, who's deceiving who? If you feel good about feeling bad when your inconsistencies are now turning against you, perhaps you need to calm down and see reason.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 1:22pm On May 28, 2009
My guy, sorry for bringing your name up on the thread. I did it again but only because you complained just before I posted my last post and I didn't see yours.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by pilgrim1(f): 1:24pm On May 28, 2009
Pastor AIO:

From what I understand about Kunle's crusade (for want of a better term), his bone of contention is with the practice of extortion in the name of tithes.  Of course I cannot speak for the guy, but that is just my understanding of what he is saying.

Granted, and we all understand him. Even he has himself recognized in another thread that extortion comes through several means, not only through tithes - so why has he not condemned all those other forms of giving as well? If he has a personal grievance against tithes, it does not matter whatever else he says about other people: for him, everyone who teaches about tithes must by default be a "criminal" - and yet, when closely questioned, he has to admit that it is okay for Christians to tithe. How many people have asked him what exactly is his problem? Why contantly exhibit such vitriol against pastors?

Pastor AIO:

Okay this thread is not about whether or not one should tithe but rather about how one who has decided to tithe should go about it.

Precisely. Kai! If to say I see you, I for just buy you a box of chocolates! cheesy  That is exactly what people have several times asked him to concentrate on - it is not enough to keep condemning tithes and saying nothing about HOW others should be encouraged to do so when he makes it "perfectly okay". Is tithing evil? Is it wrong - to give or teach about it in order to encourage Christians to do so? If no, why not talk postively about it? Why take up a position of denouncing believers who desire to do so?

Pastor AIO:

I would imagine that the answer to the poster's inquiry would depend on whether his company was plc-ed or whether he owned it with a partner or whether he was a sole trader.  

I wonder . . . if he paid a percentage of the company's profits as tithe (hence robbing the shareholders or any other partners) and the company went into the red, could he go to church and ask the church to pay him 10% of his losses.

This point makes very good sense. That was why I tried to very early point out that he should regard his company's funds as capital investment, and not his income. Even from the Word, God does not expect people to tithe or even "give" from what they do not have (see 2 Cor. 8:12). Thank you again for making sense here.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by JJYOU: 1:40pm On May 28, 2009
MrCrackles:

What do you mean by how do you mean?

Dont you have a bible?

Dont let your pastor brainwash you!

TITHES aint cumpulsory!

o boy do you also have any qualms with football teams brainwashing vulnerable people plus taking their hard earned money in the name of being "glorified" supporters?
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 1:59pm On May 28, 2009
In defense of the guy (whose name I will not mention) I believe that everyone has his calling in life. I believe that if everyone could just follow his calling no matter how small and leave others to follow their calling then in the end nothing will be left undone. There is so much injustice in the world, but I as an individual can feel moved to do something about underprivileged children. That doesn't mean I don't care for underprivileged adults but God has put it in me to alleviate the suffering of children. I'm sure that as he has given me my part he has inspired someone else to alleviate the suffering of poor adults. If that person just got on with it rather than point accusing fingers at me for only concentrating on children then work doesn't get left undone.

There are all sorts of extortion. If the spirit moves one to talk about tithes then leave him to do his little part. In the parable of the 3 servants and their talents did God not distributes the silver uneven and those that were faithful over the little things eventually God set them over greater things. Is this not so?

Those of us who care so much about all the other forms of extortion should get on our bikes and start doing something about them.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Enigma(m): 2:01pm On May 28, 2009
sleekdot:

I have a company,I pay myself salary,should I pay may tithe from my salary or from the company's profit, or both
I have been paying just from my salary!!

sleekdot:

The two quotes above represent the two enquiries that have been made on this thread. As far as I can see these two posters are, so far, the only "enquirers" on the thread.

It is perfectly legitimate to answer each enquiry/enquirer with the answer that "tithing" is not, in the first place, necessary, compulsory or even a Christian doctrine. In fact, the question of "how" to "tithe" indicates the legalism that is associated with the false doctrine of "tithing". If we believe in true New Testament freedom of "giving" then the question of "how" to "tithe" could be answered simply with "as you purpose in your own heart".
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by JJYOU: 2:05pm On May 28, 2009
Pastor AIO:

In defense of the guy (whose name I will not mention) I believe that everyone has his calling in life. I believe that if everyone could just follow his calling no matter how small and leave others to follow their calling then in the end nothing will be left undone. There is so much injustice in the world, but I as an individual can feel moved to do something about underprivileged children. That doesn't mean I don't care for underprivileged adults but God has put it in me to alleviate the suffering of children. I'm sure that as he has given me my part he has inspired someone else to alleviate the suffering of poor adults. If that person just got on with it rather than point accusing fingers at me for only concentrating on children then work doesn't get left undone.

There are all sorts of extortion. If the spirit moves one to talk about tithes then leave him to do his little part. In the parable of the 3 servants and their talents did God not distributes the silver uneven and those that were faithful over the little things eventually God set them over greater things. Is this not so?

Those of us who care so much about all the other forms of extortion should get on our bikes and start doing something about them.
does God's Spirit also inspire hate and lies?
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 2:07pm On May 28, 2009
God's spirit does not inspire hate and lies. I am yet to see any hatred or lies on this thread.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by JJYOU: 2:16pm On May 28, 2009
Pastor AIO:

God's spirit does not inspire hate and lies.  I am yet to see any hatred or lies on this thread.
thanks. i didnt say on the thread. just wanted to know. 
the late derek prince said he always erred on the side of love and caution when being used to correct or rebuke a brethren because love never fails.

the hatred in most other threads callig pastors fraudulent , crminals etc borders on hatred dont you think?
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by Enigma(m): 2:33pm On May 28, 2009
The fact is that there are "pastors" that are fraudulent and criminal --- and who use the "tithe" as part of their fraudulent activities i.e. "fleecing the flock". The fact that such "pastors" "spiritualise" the so-called "tithe" does not deter from the fact that they are being fraudulent.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by PastorAIO: 2:45pm On May 28, 2009
JJYOU:

thanks. i didnt say on the thread. just wanted to know. 
the late derek prince said he always erred on the side of love and caution when being used to correct or rebuke a brethren because love never fails.

the hatred in most other threads callig pastors fraudulent , crminals etc borders on hatred dont you think?

A fraud is a fraud. You can say it nicely, or you can say any which way. Fraud remains fraud. Calling a pastor fraudulent or criminal is not necessarily hateful. It is either true or untrue. If it is untrue then it should be demonstrated to the person that said it that what he has said is untrue.

Love does not mean being indulgent of wrong-doing. In fact that would be quite contrary to love. Correction can seem harsh and unloving and it is only in the long term that the love that motivated it manifests.
Re: How Am I To Pay My Tithe? by KunleOshob(m): 2:56pm On May 28, 2009
@Pastor AIO
Thanx for that, some people can't see or reason beyond their nose.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Celica Church Of Christ" The Genesis " / 7 Reasons Why Religion Is A Mental Disorder / God Cannot Give You Anything Anymore, He Already Gave You Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.