Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,380 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) (2789 Views)

KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / KPMG Undergraduate Internship / KPMG: My Temp Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by juddexy2(m): 10:06am On Nov 27, 2015
Dear reader, life after posting the part one (https://www.nairaland.com/search?q=Life+as+a+temp+in+KPMG) of this experience has been very remarkable. It drew lots of attention, curiosity and motivation from diverse individuals. It went so viral that I was left stunned (lol). I really felt humbled reaching out and contributing to the society in such a very funny and childlike manner.

A few days before I started putting words together to sum up my journey at KPMG, bearing in mind that I am now awake from the fascinating three months of an amazing “dream”, while surfing the internet in my usual manner, I came across a quote by Marc Chernoff, a personal development blogger. He said; “There’s scarcely any happiness, passion or success without struggle. Life is a constant climb, but the journey is rewarding and the view is great. It’s just a matter of pushing forward when the going gets tough.” It would be on the premises of this motivating chant that I would conclude my beautiful adventure.

It was exactly 5:42pm on Friday, 30th of October 2015, I was at the Human Resource Unit trying to sign off the exit form. My phone rang and it was Etoro, one of the angelic personalities that I worked with in the firm. She told me to come up to our unit. When I got to the 8th floor, surprisingly, I saw a gathering of staff under Energy and Natural Resources (ENR). Behold, it was a send forth party organized in my honor. I was invited to seat at the center of the stage. Immediately, the ceremony began. There came a particular stage which is in the tradition of the firm. I call it “the doctrine of say it all”. In the usual manner of ENR, all my sins, behaviors, conducts both positive and negative were thrown bare. See, that moment is always intense. You get to hear so many opinions about you which are unescapably true. Even a partner if placed on that seat must be washed clean. It is interestingly unequivocal.

After all the overwhelming speeches and thriller refreshments, one of the partners was called to make a presentation to me. Wow! It was a very heavy package. The contents of that package force tears of joy to drop from my eyes each time I remember that evening. Thank you KPMG. When I received the beautiful gift they humbly called a token of appreciation for working with them but in essence treasurable to me, all the nightmares I went through both within and outside the firm vanished and turned into the view of Disney Island. The nightmares were horror. I quickly went down the memory lane and recalled how would have been “twin” brother and friend of mine Emenike and I went through hell in the streets of Lagos. This is the part which so many would never want to undertake during their quest for self fulfilment. At intervals before my first salary, I had to trek a half of my journey before boarding the vehicle that would take me to work and afterwards too. I remembered the days I and my friend went without food. We would drink water and biscuit most nights and weekends because we have no money to sustain ourselves. We were the true definition of the word “wretched”. But the beautiful part of this was that our large suits never failed us. Once we enter it, all our miserable states become covered. That the weather is hot was never for us, reason, we were thin to the bone and can’t expose such skinny stature. During those days, even if I had reasons to miss work which I never had tho, I would never dare. Not because I so much love work or to impress my employer but, chai! I can’t miss KPMG lunch (*wink*). See, substantial part of the money we had while going to Lagos was borrowed from friends. I knew I would have a difficult startup in Lagos but my passion for self-fulfillment blinded me from those impending danger. I was willing to and always willing to become the better man I were yesterday and for this to happen, I must leave my comfort zone.

My dear, this experience is not unique, neither is it peculiar to me alone. Some of those people you see on the media, those you see in those luxurious vehicles and the ones who climb those fascinating skyscrapers have more bizarre experiences than this child’s play experience which I called suffering. One of the partners in KPMG told me; “Edwin my son, I knew nobody anywhere when I started and today, I am a partner. I read your article and fell into tears”. She said she could relate to my story. She fought against all odds and today, I tell you, with the weight of her purse and personality, she can perform magic. One also told me; “we are not spirits”. Truly, they are not. They started like us, even worse than we have ever been.

During my official trips, while seated at the car owner’s corner, I always took pain to observe the hawkers along the road and main land bridges who frantically chase after vehicles to sell goods that the gain which if combined with the capital may not be enough to buy them good food let alone dress and shelter. But they still fight against odds to survive. I can’t even recall countless times I saw good looking men who in their nice suits are seen sleeping under the bridge. Some would even see me in my own suit, thinking I am one ‘big boy’, would meet me and say; “sir, the only thing I need now is food”. Chai! The scene is sometimes offensive. You just can’t bear the agony they exude. They are not alone, we are all in that journey of self-redemption.

The above mentioned challenges are common and well known in our society. That is why most people would choose to stay in their comfort zone rather than challenge themselves to dare the obstacles. They revolve within a small circle and succeed in convincing themselves to believe that attaining a certain height can never be their portion. They refuse to keep pushing and also forgot that even the airplane goes against the wind to fly in the sky. We equally fail to understand that no human being is immune to pain. We only become victorious when we embrace it believing that it is just for a while.

Dear reader, I write this to cause a revolution in your mind and challenge you to know that the place you are now is not the final destination. There are exceedingly more powers and things within and around us that are left unharnessed. Challenge the bad grades and also refuse to be comfortable with the first class. Don’t be afraid of the unknown for we are not cowards. It may take time but the end is always juicy.
After the presentation, I heartily appreciated all of them at the firm (I will always). I was grateful to them because it was an awesome moment with them. I was grateful for the apt and unprecedented intellectual revolution they caused in my brain. I was grateful for they leveled the parochial perception that I had about life after school. I was grateful because I am now a member of KPMG family. I was grateful because I have grown.

At exactly 7:06pm of same day, I walked out of the firm. I stood at the exact spot I was when I first came to the firm. In the same innocent manner I looked at the tall light green building on my first day, I look at it again but this time, something about me has changed. I am now a warrior. I would rather die in the battle than seat at home and wait for the enemies in the disguise of poverty and its relations to invade me.
As I draw close the curtain of this journey, just know that the struggle to achieve my dreams continues and I want you if possible to become a “Spartan” too. You may call me a lawyer, an infant tax analyst or even an unrepentant automobile freak. You won’t be wrong. You can also add this; “I am a story tell” in the university of genuine struggle for self-fulfillment.

Believe that we can make it, we can ride those dream cars. Stay motivated always and never give up. Impossibility is an illusion. I pray we meet at the top for over there is never crowded.

God bless KPMG family
God bless University of Nigeria
God bless Nigeria
Ugwuodo Edwin Chukwunonso
Faculty of Law, University of Nigeria.

Source: https://web.facebook.com/ugwuodo.edwin/posts/1062689597097603

Cc lalasticlala
Cc Obinoscopy
Cc Seun

8 Likes

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Dahveydson(m): 10:12am On Nov 27, 2015
God bless your future endeavours great Lion.
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Confessng: 10:15am On Nov 27, 2015
You should write a book , you've got the gift of garb(writing in this case)
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Softhands(m): 10:44am On Nov 27, 2015
We'll meet at the Top.
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by samopeyemi: 12:56pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by ebicon(f): 1:44pm On Nov 27, 2015
God bless your hustle , nice write up
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by amicable09(f): 2:55pm On Nov 27, 2015
You have indeed roared as a true Lion! Congratulations, the journey has only just begun therefore we strive to get to the top that is not crowded. I love to see success as not a Zero Sum game... there's more than enough to go round.

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Kelechi2020(m): 7:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
I am motivated
I am inspired
my hope is risen
i think like a "spartan",while hoping to become one..
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Pidggin(f): 8:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice one, the photos says it all
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Koboseadotorg(m): 9:08pm On Nov 27, 2015
Congrats bro.
I reserve an online 'koboko' for anybody that will come here and derail this thread with "MEDIOCRE SKILL ACQUISITION"

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by juddexy2(m): 10:11pm On Nov 27, 2015
Kelechi2020:
I am motivated

I am inspired

my hope is risen

i think like a "spartan",while hoping to become one..
That's the motive, keep the burning hope Alive
NairalandDotOrg:
Congrats bro.
I reserve an online 'koboko' for anybody that will come here and derail this thread with "MEDIOCRE SKILL ACQUISITION"
or end time nonsense cheesy
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by ABDamola(m): 11:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
Nice write-up!

Never Say Never!!!

Keep tryin, it may b d last key in d bunch dt will open d door!
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Jamaticulus(m): 2:13am On Nov 28, 2015
Kool
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by aribs(m): 5:07am On Nov 28, 2015
stories like this gladden my heart. To see a young Nigerian recognizing this resilient ability innate in us to fight and to apply yourself as you have done tells me all hope is not lost. It reminds me of my beginnings and continuing efforts to survive the Big 4's challenges , especially in a place as cutthroat as NYC. Keep pushing bro. I have a law background like you from Nigeria. That is why I am all the more impressed. God be with you

2 Likes

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Nobody: 7:31am On Nov 28, 2015
wow.....congrats bro. From glory to glory you are going. I keep telling young graduates that there are opportunities out there. More grace to your effort.
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by shogat(m): 1:41pm On Nov 28, 2015
we are spartans...congrats

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by wiggle: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2015
I love this thread

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Victosin09(f): 8:44pm On Nov 28, 2015
I'm inspired!
I'm challenged!
I'm motivated!
#all things are possible if you believe
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by lovethchioma(f): 9:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
I'd surely get there

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by vikkeee(m): 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2015
Lions and lioness.....HMMMMMMMMM (still wonder why we don't roar) God bless UNN Someday my story is going to motivate people too AMEN.

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by RedCapChief(m): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2015
[size=13pt]I'm proud of this fellow for three reasons.
First, he has roused our spirits with the motivation we sorely need.
Secondly, he has reminded us that there is still hope for Nigeria, despite the bleak gloomy weather that is gathering.
The third reason is personal to me because I don't want to labelled an ethnic warrior

@op, KUDOS!

Where is CrazyMan to take this to FP?
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by dollyptosh(m): 5:51am On Nov 30, 2015
NairalandDotOrg:
Congrats bro.
Or entrepreneurship crusade
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by dollyptosh(m): 5:53am On Nov 30, 2015
Kudos to you bro. Keep moving forward.
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 29, 2016
This fellow inspired me to apply for an internship there.
Currently at the benchmark.
Thanks brother
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by Mattex001(m): 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2016
Impossible is an Illusion!

This is an awesome Piece!

God bless your efforts

Excuses is for the Weak, Excellence is for the Motivated and Goal Getters
Re: Farewell To KPMG (My Final Temp Experience) by bodeoni: 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
Really great penmanship. Welldone and congrats on the completion of the internship.

(1) (Reply)

Too Much IQ Level In A Single Picture / Skill Acquisition Programme/ Self Empowerment / Does Anybody Know Gsk (glaxco Pharmactical Company )test Format

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.