Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,339 members, 7,860,858 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:29 PM

Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure (356 Views)

Abudal’aziz Abubakar Yari Buys House Of $1m In The US - Sahara Reporters (Photo) / EFCC Arrests Lara Amosu, Recovers $1m In Soakaway Pit / $1m On Foreign Trips: Fayose Can Say ‘ Whatever He Likes’ – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure by sayyid(m): 4:33pm On Nov 27, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday pledged the sum of $1m to the African Water Facility for the development of water infrastructure in Africa.
Buhari, who made the pledge in Abuja at the AWF’s 10 anniversary celebration, said the financing requirement for water infrastructure in Africa was estimated at $20bn annually from year 2000 to 2025.
The President, represented by the Minister of Water Resources, Mr. Suleiman Adamu, stated that the AWF’s mandate was to mobilise water investments for Africa, but stressed that the greatest challenge confronting that body was the need to secure adequate funds.
He said, “In fact, the funding gap is almost at a critical point. The AWF urgently needs to receive indication of pledges at this meeting today. I also use this opportunity to note that most of the pledges made by African countries in 2012 have not been paid up, with the sole exception of Burkina Faso. May I remind all of you of the importance of making good on these pledges.
“It is noteworthy and especially to our development partners that African countries greatly value the work of the AWF. As is our custom to take the lead in worthy causes, I am pleased to announce that the Nigerian government hereby pledges to contribute the sum of $1m.”
On the $20bn required annually for water development in Africa, Buhari stated that out of this sum, $10bn would be needed yearly from development partners, adding that the rest would be provided by local and private sector sources.
He said, “Current estimates suggest that actual flows are around 20 per cent of the estimated financing requirement. This is grossly inadequate and requires a major scaling up to safeguard Africa’s future.”
The President urged stakeholders to play their roles efficiently and enjoined African governments to accord increased priority to water sector in their budgetary allocations.

www.punchng.com/buhari-pledges-1m-for-africas-water-infrastructure/
Re: Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure by OZAOEKPE(f): 4:36pm On Nov 27, 2015
Leave nigeria to spend on africa, he's indeed a mad man
Re: Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure by MzPecs(f): 4:36pm On Nov 27, 2015
He's in Malta and a rep is making a pledge on his behalf!

Okay cheesy
Re: Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure by LastSurvivor: 4:47pm On Nov 27, 2015
This guy is pledging $1m while we still owing oil marketers #413b..

Make I see who will ask me to contribute money for pledge redemption grin
Re: Buhari Pledges $1m For Africa's Water Infrastructure by Lordave: 4:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
I'm a poor man, even my village, Daura, has no Pipe borne water- Buhari, March, 2015.

With $1m, I pledge to provide the whole of Africa, including Angola, Kenya and South Africa water infrastructure- MuhammDupe Buhari, November, 2015.

We are dying of contaminated water supply- Daura Residents, December, 2015.

(1) (Reply)

Gov. Ambode Revealing Lagos Investment Opportunities At London Summit / Gov Ishaku: Promoting Profligacy In A Time Of Hardship / Social Media Makes Politicians Purge Their Thoughts Without Reasoning.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.