Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. (18359 Views)

Governor Aregbesola Asked People To Fast In Osun & Was Mocked / Amaechi And Governor El-Rufai Break Ramadan Fast In Kaduna. Photos / We Cannot Forget This Buhari's Campaign Promise....see Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by ZZ22: 10:22pm On Nov 27, 2015
DevilhimseIf:

bros no mind the anti sperm bot grin me na confirm dengramite (DMGS)
.. No yawa me na CKC (Primus)

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by McGibson(m): 11:16pm On Nov 27, 2015
DERICO also threatened Obasanjo. one man squad

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by jmichlins(m): 11:27pm On Nov 27, 2015
I didn't know Derico but I watched his movie but the likes of Eddy n'awgu, and many more I know. I was quite young when those guys are cleaning Anambra state. Nnewi and Onitsha with their environs will be indebited to Mbadinuju and the bakassi boys. I remember when my dad had to sleep under the step because the kings of the night are on the move and we were told to say he travelled. Chaii see my mum dey recite her rosary with my elder siblings

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by meezynetwork(m): 11:33pm On Nov 27, 2015
Those bloody old days. Thank God things has changed. Now I can enter onitsha even with huge cash to buy things. Then you dare not carry a nylon bag cos your hand might be cut off by thieves in order to snatch it from you.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 28, 2015
Nwa mama was of a class. Knew him when he anchored ADO YOUTHS security outfit.
Representing oguta road. CKC, Primus!
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by Nobody: 12:22am On Nov 28, 2015
McGibson:
Bakassi Boys to the rescue
With the police and other security forces unable to bring Derico Nwamama and his terror regime to a close, the onus fell on the Bakassi Boys, the militant wing of the Anambra Vigilante Services (AVS), a local vigilante group set up to curb crime and criminality in the Sout East.
The group were then at the forefront of the hunt and capture of Derico Nwamama and on Tuesday, July 3, 2001, the hitherto invisible criminal was nabbed on his way to Onitsha from Agbor, ostensibly on one of his crime spree.
The news of his capture and 'triumphant' entry to Onitsha was like a wild fire as the town erupted in joy amidst wild cheers.
As was their trademark, the Bakassi Boys drove in a motorcade around the town, displaying their prized possession, brandishing their machetes, dane guns and charms, to the admiration of thge people who knew that the end of their fearful existence had ended.
They trooped into the city to catch a glimpse of the man who had turned their lives into a nightmare.
The Nigerian Police requested that Derico be handed over to them so they could continue with the investigation and eventual prosecution but the Bakassi Boys simply ignored the request.
They would handle the matter their way and that was instant justice for a man who had tormented the people long enough. They also did not trust the police to do justice to him.
The end of Derico
For a man who thought he was above the law and could not be captured, Derico met his end in the most awful manner. Before then, the Bakassi Boys had developed a terrible and blood chilling reputation for dealing with suspects and Derico's days were surely numbered from when he was caught.
On July 9, 2001, six days after Derico was captured at the Niger Bridge, the Bakassi Boys did to him what many had earlier predicted. Chanting war songs, they drove in their convoy around the town and ended at the Ochanja Market Junction along the popular Upper Iweka Road in Onitsha.
As their buses came to a halt, shouts of excitement and expectation rented the air. Many knew the fate that would befall Derico, so they all trooped to the spot to witness the final judgement on him.
Derico was dragged out from the bus, looking gaunt and severely beaten, a trademark of the vigilante group. His body bore cuts and gashes, a testament to what he must have gone through in their hands. he must also have known that the day of reckoning has come.
He was in obvious pains but no one seemed to care. Still chanting war songs and egged on by the enchanted crowd, one of the commanders of the Bakassi Boys named Okpompi, addressed the crowd, telling them they were in the state not for politics but to fight crime.
Bakassi Boys strong man, Okpompi
He handed over the microphone to the now trembling Derico who, like a cornered fox, began begging for his life to be spared. He made feeble attempts at declaring his innocence:
“My name is Oddy, alias Derico, alias Nwa Mama. I appeal to you the people of Anambra State, please don’t kill me, I don’t like evil. It was when I killed Chiejina that people thought I am a strong guy, you know.
I trust Bakassi Boys. They are strong. Please, mercy for me. Nobody can identify me as having robbed him. People just believe that I am a strong guy.”
He confessed that while he was on the run, he was sheltered by a member of the National Assembly in Abuja. He also confessed that he had two other powerful protectors, one being a member of the Anambra State House of Assembly while the other was the chairman of a local government council.
What was to follow remains one of the most macabre displays of public executions in Nigeria. With the speed of a guillotine, a cutlass handled in the strong arm of one of the Bakassi Boys flew and came down with an unforgiving thud, landing on Derico’s slim neck. In a flash, Derico was beheaded.
His severed head rolled on the floor before the crowd while his convulsing body collapsed on the ground, with bright-red blood gushing from his carotid arteries. It was like a sacrifice to the gods had just taken place.
The crowd was satisfied and as far as the Bakassi Boys were concerned, that was a clear lesson and message to any criminal bent on making life miserable for the Anambrarians.
With the lifeless remains of Derico still lying on the floor, the people erupted in jubilation, patting one another on the backs and exchanging mutual congratulations after a monstrously grotesque show of iron and blood. That was not the end.
Razor-sharp machetes flew from different directions and chopped his pitiful remains into sizable chunks. Derico’s mangled remains were heaped up, properly rinsed with fuel and set on fire.

Nice story.

But derico was not 22 in year 2000s, he's probably much older. He grew up in ma village Ngwo in enugu state. Ma dad told us about him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by SegunAdewole: 12:47am On Nov 28, 2015
opiaoku:
I knew this guy personally, his family his house, his poor mother they used to share their loots behind our house in onitsha (ime ogbe) cheesy meehn that guy na terrorist those days but he operates outside and will even end up catching and flogging those petty thieves operating inside the town telling them to man up and rob outside and stop local ime ogbe robbing grin

those days God punish you if you stay outside after 6pm people where made to sleep in the church because people like chiejina will send you letter notifying you of their glorious coming lol you will just have to respect yourself and keep enough money for them or... I knew some of their victims including one popular titled man (ozo) man.

meehn onitsha was really a jungle those days and they really brought bad reputation to cool headed onitsha guy like me grin because people sees us as kinda tough, bully and arrogant people angry

Thanks to bakassi boys chaii it was a gory scene to behold then both him (derico) and that of Eddy na Nawgu at the same ochanga round about grin that round about don drink blood tire because those days you'll be seeing beheaded corpses of criminals every day littered all over onitsha.

bakassi boys tried but they later got compromised and their charm later neutralized and bullet started penetrating them that was when they started working for the devilish Mbadinuju as open assassins killing many innocent people including a barrister and wife. they were later disbanded.

cc
Lalasticlala obinoscopy Seun mynd44
u You mean Mbadinuju killed that anambra NBA chairman B.C Igwe and his Wife?, i still remember that case. I learnt Bakkasi started in aba when hoodlums robbed and killed a pregnant woman from cameroun who was one of Ariaria market's biggest customers? The traders got outraged, organized into the vigilante that became Bakasi, how true? Even producers in Alaba, Lagos feared them (bakkasi boys) so much they had to spell their name backwards(Issakaba) to make their movies in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by seacoast(m): 1:48am On Nov 28, 2015
Hehehe the day he was displayed at Limca road, I was on my way to school then.. (prince Memorial high school Onitsha).. I climb coaster bus to see him oooooo. Jss 1 then... How time flies

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by obaataaokpaewu: 3:25am On Nov 28, 2015
SegunAdewole:

u You mean Mbadinuju killed that anambra NBA chairman B.C Igwe and his Wife?, i still remember that case. I learnt Bakkasi started in aba when hoodlums robbed and killed a pregnant woman from cameroun who was one of Ariaria market's biggest customers? The traders got outraged, organized into the vigilante that became Bakasi, how true? Even producers in Alaba, Lagos feared them (bakkasi boys) so much they had to spell their name backwards(Issakaba) to make their movies in peace.
Not Ariaria . There is a shoe market in Aba called Bakassi. They are into shoe n bag making. growing up in Aba then, I remember when a guy was caught trying to steal NEPA meter from one compound in my neighborhood. He was caught, after some beatings, he was handed over to the Bakassi guys and we later heard that he was dragged to a borrow pit and set on fire

2 Likes

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by McGibson(m): 5:51pm On Nov 28, 2015
Derico remain unbeatable in the world of thieving.

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by mazzi: 5:54pm On Nov 28, 2015
mike404:
HOW ABOUT AGBUSI NA UKPO grin
agbusi kwa? Funny you.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by agadez007(m): 6:54pm On Nov 28, 2015
Isnt deri Nwamama a native a Onitsha?the writeup say Aguleri
i remember those days,robbery na normal everyday thing for anambra One day,A 3 men robbers came to my village home to rob my grand parents
they were like ''where is the Money?,where is the money?''
then my old grandfather answered ''ehen Morning,nwa mu,kedu.?''
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by mazzi: 7:20pm On Nov 28, 2015
agadez007:

i remember those days,robbery na normal everyday thing for anambra
One day,A 3 men robbers came to my village home to rob my grand parents

then my old grandfather answered
''ehen Morning,nwa mu,kedu.?''
funniest post ever! 'Nwa'm kedu'

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by begod: 7:28pm On Nov 28, 2015
EdCure:
Ibos with thieving
igbos has everything thats why you dont mess with us, biafra we stand

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by Alphaoscar: 7:56pm On Nov 28, 2015
Beremx:
No pictures of him?

Those Anambra Vigilante guys are dreaded o! I went for a burial ceremony of the father of a relative sometime this year at Orlu and the vigilante guys were hired to guard the event. Nna, come and see good looking guys displaying double-barrel guns. grin

Ujo biakwara m o! grin

Tнe ғυnnιeѕт тнιng ιѕ тнaт I never нear oғ тнιѕ gυy вυт тнere waѕ a gυy ιn мy ѕcнool вearιng тнaт Derico( ιn Ogυn ѕтaтe o) very ғrιendly and lιvely gυy вυт waѕ laтer ĸιlled on roввery operaтιon тo тнe ѕυrprιѕe oғ everyone. never new тнere waѕ an arмed roввer вearιng тнaт naмe.

I тнιnĸ we нave тo вe readιng мeanιng тo alιaѕeѕ people gιve тнeмѕelveѕ.

1 Like

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:34pm On Nov 28, 2015
Derico nwa mama na Chiejina, double terror!! Those guys shook Onitsha to its very roots....But Chiejina is from Onicha and I dont know why they say he is from Aguleri.
Onicha don change shaa grin grin
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:37pm On Nov 28, 2015
agadez007:

i remember those days,robbery na normal everyday thing for anambra
One day,A 3 men robbers came to my village home to rob my grand parents

then my old grandfather answered
''ehen Morning,nwa mu,kedu.?''

In fact,they are both from Onicha....funny guy.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by agadez007(m): 12:11am On Nov 29, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

In fact,they are both from Onicha....funny guy.
infact,inshort,i dey fear onitsha people
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by chiefobdk(m): 6:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
seacoast:
Hehehe the day he was displayed at Limca road, I was on my way to school then.. (prince Memorial high school Onitsha).. I climb coaster bus to see him oooooo. Jss 1 then... How time flies

derico sef na mercenary.
saw him at g.U. okeke park dat year at nkpor junction...
wen uzoegwu family and nkpor people were having problems.

I still dey sec. school for. holy ghost juniorate ihiala. den.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by McGibson(m): 9:39pm On Nov 29, 2015
Derico is not just a mercenary but a thief too
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by seacoast(m): 11:14pm On Nov 29, 2015
chiefobdk:

derico sef na mercenary.
saw him at g.U. okeke park dat year at nkpor junction...
wen uzoegwu family and nkpor people were having problems.

I still dey sec. school for. holy ghost juniorate ihiala. den.
hahaha guy you must be my next street Guy then ooo.... I was still in primary six during that Uzoegwu vs Nkpor war.. Battle field NKPOR JUNCTION.... Then I was in Urban primary school, near St Anthony of Padua Nkpor.... Hand shake to u
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by chiefobdk(m): 12:37am On Nov 30, 2015
seacoast:
hahaha guy you must be my next street Guy then ooo.... I was still in primary six during that Uzoegwu vs Nkpor war.. Battle field NKPOR JUNCTION.... Then I was in Urban primary school, near St Anthony of Padua Nkpor.... Hand shake to u

I don't even stay at nkpor.
my dad have store at new parts and new tire.
so he rent flat for them at a house close to the junction. I normally stay wit dem during the holidays..I dey see money for d shop..

I was thr live at d thick of d war...

but finally dat nkpor junction na another area. den dey Rob for there everyday.

thanks God for the security status of Anambra now.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by seacoast(m): 7:51am On Nov 30, 2015
chiefobdk:

I don't even stay at nkpor.
my dad have store at new parts and new tire.
so he rent flat for them at a house close to the junction. I normally stay wit dem during the holidays..I dey see money for d shop..

I was thr live at d thick of d war...

but finally dat nkpor junction na another area. den dey Rob for there everyday.

thanks God for the security status of Anambra now.
Thank God for security ooo, Nkpor Junction is now kul and secured
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by McGibson(m): 8:03am On Nov 30, 2015
Nkpor is safe and sound now unlike the terror days of Derico
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by chiefobdk(m): 8:21am On Nov 30, 2015
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by M4gunners: 8:54am On Nov 30, 2015
opiaoku:
I knew this guy personally, his family his house, his poor mother they used to share their loots behind our house in onitsha (ime ogbe) cheesy meehn that guy na terrorist those days but he operates outside and will even end up catching and flogging those petty thieves operating inside the town telling them to man up and rob outside and stop local ime ogbe robbing grin

those days God punish you if you stay outside after 6pm people where made to sleep in the church because people like chiejina will send you letter notifying you of their glorious coming lol you will just have to respect yourself and keep enough money for them or... I knew some of their victims including one popular titled man (ozo) man.

meehn onitsha was really a jungle those days and they really brought bad reputation to cool headed onitsha guy like me grin because people sees us as kinda tough, bully and arrogant people angry

Thanks to bakassi boys chaii it was a gory scene to behold then both him (derico) and that of Eddy na Nawgu at the same ochanga round about grin that round about don drink blood tire because those days you'll be seeing beheaded corpses of criminals every day littered all over onitsha.

bakassi boys tried but they later got compromised and their charm later neutralized and bullet started penetrating them that was when they started working for the devilish Mbadinuju as open assassins killing many innocent people including a barrister and wife. they were later disbanded.

cc
Lalasticlala obinoscopy Seun mynd44
Yeah bro i witness that of Eddy na Nuwgu on my way from Port Harcourt to Agbor.That was the same day America was bombed 9/11.If i could remember.
It was terrible we have to trek from upper Iweka to head bridge because of this incident.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by Afam4eva(m): 9:40am On Nov 30, 2015
I actually came across his burnt ashes in Onitsha on my way to Enugu. That guy was a terror.
Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by backtosender: 9:43am On Nov 30, 2015
Derico and chiejina both from Onitsha not aguleri I remember then in asaba delta state derico was the name everyone fear.....there is this story derico nwamama enter in the middle of title men meeting he took off their red title hats and told them to start dancing while he was singing(o bere nwa ebu Na afo o buru Eze)ichie sings derico will dance to the tune hahahaha he didn't last long after that

2 Likes

Re: Derico Nwamama: A Thief We Cannot Forget So Fast In This Country. by McGibson(m): 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
I also witnessed the killing

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army To Deploy 10,000 Soldiers In Niger-Delta / Call Your Members To Order - Lagos CP Warns PDP Leadership In The State / Kano Rally: PDP Accuses APC Of Smuggling, Demands Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.