Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,185 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. (7196 Views)

Python Programmers' Lounge / Help An Aspiring Programmer / Aspiring To Be Programmer: How To Cope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 9:53am On Jul 29, 2009
Welcome to a new post gamers. It's been a week or 2 since my last post i know. Well, by request of an aspiring game programmer in here i'll be talking more on pixels and how it gets drawn on the monitor and the lot.

Now, what's the colour of light? You definitely will say white. Probe a little deeper and u'll find out that light is composed of 3 colours Red, Green, and Blue. These are called the primary colours of light. If u've ever painted on canvas u'll want to disagree with me on that and say that the primary colours are Red, Yellow, Blue. You are not totally wrong but i wasn't refering to the primary colours of pigments but of light. Light uses what's called additive colour mixing while pigment paint uses what's called subtractive colour mixing (wiki the difference).

Ok now, since i've explained what pixels are in a previous post let's talk about how those boys get their colour.

The computer as u know stores all data as bits(BInary digiTs). Each pixel on screen has a portion of the systems memory set aside for storing the data representing the colour it will get. The colour of a single pixel is a combination of the amount/level of Red, Green, & Blue. Each component of the colour of a pixel (i.e red, green, blue) takes 8 bits of memory so in total a single pixel takes 24 bits of the systems memory (8 bits x 3 components) and takes an extra 8 bits if you chose to also have the Alpha component of a pixel set therefore, a single pixel will take 32 bits of memory [24 plus 8]. The alpha component is used to specify the opacity/transparency of the pixel. Since you know that a binary number has a decimal equivalent and each colour component takes 8 bit , the range of a components value is from 0 to 255 (2 pow 8 - 1). So when you send a pixels colour value as RGBA(255,0,0,255) you make that pixel red and non-transparent. So, if u create a window for your application with dimensions say 640 by 480 you take an area of the  screen containing 307,200 pixels (640 x 480) and since you might chose to us a pixel with 24 bits (RGB) data space or one with 32 bits (RGBA) data space your application will take a total system memory of 7,372,800 bits (approx 921kb) or 9,830,400 bits (approx 1.2 Mb) respectively for the creation of its window.

Moving on, to get your desired image on screen u need to specify the colour for all of those pixels and the computer will paint them as given.
How do you tell the computer to do that? You use a graphics API.  As a practice, grab the Notepad app, type in it:
<body bgcolor = rgb(255, 255, 0) > </body>

Save the document as yellow.html. Now double click on it an tell me what happens.
Keep playing & coding games. See u soon!
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 9:57am On Jul 29, 2009
!
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 6:02pm On Aug 03, 2009
Welcome to a new post. I'll be talking about a really easy topic: Frames & Frame Buffers.
What's a frame? Simply put, a frame is a section of memory allocated for the storage of a windows pixel data.
A frame buffer is a video device that signals the monitor to write a completed frame to the screen.
A common question that beginning graphics programmers ask is why have a frame buffer when we can just write each pixels data as it is calculated to the screen. Imagine a factory scenario where one worker fills a bottle with soft-drink and another takes it and puts it in a crate. That's going to be alot of work for each worker passing/receiving each bottle as well as performing there specific task. Consider the introduction of a mediator who's to take over the task of receiving & passing to the next worker who puts it in a crate. The total work is the much less in the system as one worker can keep sleeping until woken by the mediator once for every completed set of filled bottles that will fill a crate to carry out his task of putting that set in a crate. This is proven mathematically by r * 1 < r * w. Where r is the total bottles(read pixels)  that fill a crate(one frame) and w is the number of times we wake the sleeping worker (write operation call to the monitor) to put the set in a crate (the monitor).
Note that the monitor writes to the screen by using an electron gun which writes pixel data starting from the top left pixel to the bottom right pixel in a row by row order and returns to the top left when done writing to the whole screen.
Now, if u have been into game graphics programming for a while u must have heard of the term Double Buffering. This is a technic for making animation on screen run smoothly with out the effect of tear-off. Tear-off occurs when the monitor is drawing one frame to the screen while at the same time the the computer is writing new pixel data to that same frame. What happens is u see one portion of the screen having the old frames image while another portion will have the new frames image.
Double buffering creates two buffers name the front-buffer and the back-buffer. The front-buffer refers to the frame that the monitor is using and the back-buffer refers to the frame that the computer is using at anytime.
Keep playing & coding games. See u soon.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 5:44am On Aug 19, 2009
Welcome gamer$. Aya ya ya ya! It's been almost a month since i posted here. Hope no one has given up on this. Back to business.
I was looking into some graphics engine called IRRLICHT. It really is a beauty. Try getting it @ http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net. This posts idea came from the engine so i'll like to talk about collision detection basics.
Have u ever played a game and wondered how interacting with the virtual world happens? Of course u have or u wouldn't be reading this post. It's all made possible by the different methods of collision detection.
Let's start with the basics. One method which is normally introduced as the first when learning to create games is Axis-Aligned Bounding Box(AABB) method. If u had two cubes moving in your world and u want to know if they collide so that u respond in your code by not making them pass through each other using this method. Firstly, since both objects are cubes u have a way to detect collision. U take the first box say box1. Looking at it u'll find that no matter how it's orientation is in the world it will always have a single vertex that's farthest right of the worlds X-axis, and another that's farthest up of the Y-axis, and also another that's farthest into the world's Z-axis. Also u have a single vertex having a minimum X-axis, Y-axis and Z-axis. With those found vertices u 'draw' a box around your cube. This box will encapsulate your box1. Secondly u do the same for the second(box2) cube in your world, finding its own minimum and maximum vertices for X,Y,and Z.
Now taking box1 and checking if box2 collides with it u check to see if box2 minimum X is not greater than box1 maximum  X and box2 minimum X is not less than box1 min X and box2 min Y is not greater than box1 max Y and box2 min Y is not greater than box2 min Y and finally that box2 min Z is not greater than box1 max Z and box2 min Z is not less than box1 min Z. If this statement results to TRUE then both boxes are colliding so u write code to take action.
The second basic method is called Spherical-bounding which simply uses a sphere to encapsulate the objects u want to detect collision on.
Say u have two objects called ball1 & ball2 in your world, to detect if they are colliding u take ball1 and using this method u locate the center of the ball which should be given by the pivot-point as specified in your modeling software. That point becomes the center of the sphere u will encapsulate ball1 with. Now since a sphere has a radius u need to specify the radius of your bounding sphere, u get that data by locating the vertex with the maximum value in all 3 axis. Let's say that you find one with a max Z axis of 35, so your bounding sphere will now have a radius of 35 and the center as found previously. U do the same for the other ball (ball2) . To find if the collide take both bounding spheres and check to see if the distance btw ball1 bounding-sphere's center and that of ball2 is less than the sum of the radius of both bounding-spheres. If the result is TRUE then u have both balls colliding.
Do some research on the net for these. Keep playing & coding games. Need to sleep.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by malone5923(m): 9:39am On Aug 19, 2009
@duel. Nice to see you havent left you fans hanging. For your next article can your explain what BSP tree sets mean and techniques used for shadowing and for something light explain the diff genres in gaming.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by eyonigger(m): 12:15pm On Aug 19, 2009
I have examined the question through hours of thinking and have come To the conclusion that Java is your best bet in both the short term & long term.

Languages like visual basic, game maker, darkbasic, BlitzMax, Flash etc all fall short one way or another.  The biggest downfall for All of these except flash is that there are few books about them, and So there is little for the amateur/newbie to work with - and believe You me - when you are game programming you need as much as you can get To work with & the information needs to be organised like in a Book, unlike disorganised forums that I feel that most of the owners of Those language have. I can almost garantee that all the Tools(knowledge) that you will need to make the games you want, will Not be found in 1 book, so a language that has few books is Counterproductive to our endeavors.  Java does much better; there are Many more game programming books in Java; dozens.  C & C++ have Hundreds. 

C & C++ also falls short in that programming in general is more difficult then Java, but more importantly the functions to make games in those language is many folds more complicated than those in Java Think about all those 1000+ books that you see on Amazon about Direct X Game programming for instance; that's C++ associated.  Java is much Simpler in comparison, but not in general. Game programming Itself is a lot more difficult then making programs, so to want to make Games easily is like trying to escape from a charging Moose by running At it.  As for flash, no offence, but flash really is poor in Performance so much so that you should consider JAVA & C++ at Equivalent speed when next to flash.

By learning a"complete" programming language you'll be able To make not just games, but programs as well, and since the language is Complete; it means you can fully make the games to your liking & You won't be physically limited by the language. 

Java Will run on any platform, I don't just mean Oses like linux & mac, I mean phones, dvd players etc.  So your games can be played on the Most platforms possible.  The compilers are FREE.  Java nowdays is very Close in speed to C++; it isnt far behind especially when it comes to Games. Employment for Java is very high.

If your goal is to eventually get a job in the game industry C++ is the standard programming language everywhere.  However, there are many different types of programming jobs at a video game company. Many times programmers don't work with C++ at all, but with some sort of proprietary scripting language that works with their companie's game engine, or one of the other top commercially available game engines (this usually means Unreal Script, for the Unreal Game Engine made by Epic Games).  If you know how to script Unreal and are familiar with C++, you'll be high on the list of candidates for a videogame job.

Making an Unreal mod can be rewarding and fun, but it's a lot of work and you need to buy the Unreal game to get the Editor. Scripting for the Unreal Engine is really badly documented and a pain in the ass to learn.

If you want to make games for fun do one of these things:

* use the Game Maker  program from YoYo Games (do a google search for it, Game Maker is free). This is a VERY easy to learn tool for making games. You can make almost any 2D game that you can imagine, and you can make it quickly. As far as I know it only works with Windows, though.  It will take you about 30 minutes to learn how to use Game Maker to make games, and you can pick up the rest of it by doing stuff and looking in the help menu. It makes windows executable games, not web games.   YoYo Games has started to let you upload games to their site and then hosts them in some sort of web playable format, so you can play them online and embed them in things, I think. This sort of makes it a web platform.

* Flash (Action Script).  Action Script is the name of the Flash programming language. Theres a big learning curve to getting started with the Flash editor if you've never used it before. Action Script itself is pretty easy to use and there's a lot of stuff online to help you.  If you've never programmed before, I recommend getting the book 'Beginning Flash Game Programming for Dummies". It starts very simply and by the end of it you'll know everything you need to write a game in Flash. It only uses Action Script 2.0 (Adobe revised everything to a more object oriented 3.0 format a while ago).  A lot of games are written in 2.0 because that was the version that was used for years and most tutorials are in 2.0. Once you can do 2.0, you can learn 3.0 later.  The advantage of a Flash game is that it works with a web browser and can be run on any computer that can use Flash.

* Scripting languages - Python, LUA, Perl, etc.  There are many scripting languages. Python is one of the most popular ones right now. One of my friends swears by it. Games can be written in Python or LUA. (World of Warcraft add-ons are scripted in a version of LUA). Many game companies use Python or LUA or derivatives of those for in game scripting, so it will probably be helpful if you want to get work at a game company.   Scripting languages are generally easy to learn. I'd pick up a 'for dummies' book, or just look online until you find a good tutorial site.

* C# (C Sharp) and XNA. These are Microsoft's programming tools. C# is like a simple version of C++.  It is designed to allow people to create Windows programs very quickly, almost with by dragging in components and linking them together. XNA is Microsofts game programming add-on to C#. It seeks to make game programming for windows very easy. The drawback is that it's for Windows and Xbox only. People need to install the XNA libraries to be able to run your programs and it's not web servable.  C# might be a simpler way to get started in game programming using something similar to C++.   The big drawback is that these are not really online games. There is the whole Windows Live thing and their game distribution network, etc. I don't know much about it, 

* PHP and Javascript - these are web scripting languages. I think They can be used to make games of some form. I really don't know. Knowlege of them can't hurt you and will help you integrate your games Into the web more effectively.

* Java - it's an object Oriented programming language that's very similar to C++ (all these Languages are sort of similar). It was originally designed with the web In mind. You can write applet games using Java that run on a web page. It might actually be the preferable platform for online games. I don't Know since I haven't used it much. It's not simple to learn, especially For a beginner but don't let that discourage you. It's a 'professional' Language, so knowing how to program Java could get you a job in the Real world too.

There are lots of other tools out there right now that make it easy to make a simple 2D web style game.  My personal choice would be Game Maker. It's the one I learned first and it takes about 30 minutes to an hour to learn everything you need to know to make a simple shooter game. The amount of 'programming' is minimal. You'll have a game done in an hour or two. The hard part is thinking of ideas and making the graphics for it.

I also like Flash. It's not the best language to program in, but the end product can be put into a web page. That's instant distribution to anyone with a Flash enabled web browser (that's like 90% of the entire world or something).  Its a bit harder to learn than Game Maker (I still haven't figured it all out), and you don't have a game engine to support you. But, I'm going to give it a shot.

Python (which seems to be the current popular scripting language - it used to be PERL or BASIC) is supposed to be good. It's interpretive so you need something to run it. I'm not sure browsers can decode and run it? It's supposedly simple to learn and I have a friend that swears by it.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by Nezan(m): 12:27pm On Aug 19, 2009
Gud one @ poster
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by AhM3D(m): 2:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
omg! i op 2 knw all dis soon, @dueal, ow we go do now? pls
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 2:50pm On Aug 19, 2009
@malone5923 and @all. A Binary Space Partitioning(BSP) tree is a graphics data structure that divides a space into compact inter-linked chunks to form a data tree so as to provide efficient draw rates for a virtual world. That's about the simplest way to put it. Have u ever sat down to think of why game graphics hasn't gotten to the point where it looks exactly like u're playing an animated movie like Beowulf or Final Fantasy: the Spirit within?

Guess u have, and someone might have said it has to do with the processor speed. That's just the setback games have cause for a decent animation of the virtual world the computer has to calculate the bunch of code sequence that forms every other frame at a rate of 1/60th of a second or less. That's some work though and since processors have their limits game programmers started coming up with great ideas to make the processor have less work to do theirby giving it a little space to do the calculations that improve quality. They came up with Depth Buffers, Octrees, BSP's, Scene Graphs, Occluders e.t.c. All to reduce the amount of geometry that the processor (CPU & GPU) processes. There are other methods like View Frustrum culling, and some developers us Fog. 

Now for your next question, how are shadows generated. It can be done the hard way or the easy way. Let me start with the easy way. Have u played the game Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the Ps1? If u have try playing it again. U'll notice that the shadow for every character in the game is a simple circle projected at the feet of each character. Now the hard way. They are two that i know of that are used in games. One uses the stencil buffer of the graphics board and the other uses some generated texture as the game is playing. I totally understand and can explain the texture one. Here we take the lights direction to the object and draw a bitmap of the silhouette of the object as seen by the light. We then project that image onto the world also taking into consideration the lookAt direction of the camera. It a bit mathematical but less detailed than when the first stencil buffer method is used. U should download the Ogre3d graphics engine cause i'll be using that in discussion at some point here and it allows use of both methods.

Now for your 3rd question. The different genre of games are :
1. Action/arcade- Here the player is taken through a fast pacing game where he must advance by attacking unending obstacles to win. Games like ; Street of Rage on the mega drive/genesis and sonic the hedgehoge fall into this category.

2. Strategy: Here the speed and repetition of the players action is reduced as the player must plan he's empire so to speak before acting. They can be Turn based stratagy like the Metal Gear Acid on the PSP which give u for ever to decide a next line of action or they can be Real Time strategy like chess master.

3. Adventures : Here the player is give a world to play in but it ends when the whole story which the game is centered around ends.

4. Platforms: These are similar to the adventure type but it seems they are made a bit different cause the player must pick stuff like coins or coconuts and jump on platforms as they advance.

Keep playing and coding games. Later!
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by bighead1(m): 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2009
Please i am very sorry if this sounds rude but can u post a phone game which is ready made
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 6:28pm On Aug 19, 2009
@big_head. I'm currently developing a flash game for phone and it's for promotional purpose only by a potential client. I could post a demo of a game for Pc cause that's where i'm focusing on but it'll have to be in 'raw code' and nairaland doesn't host EXE files. Sorry.
Keep playing and coding games.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by digitalize(m): 9:24pm On Aug 19, 2009
Guys this is very gud of you, keep on guy
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by malone5923(m): 9:52pm On Aug 19, 2009
@duel. I never knew thats platform game means nice one. About getting orge3d I dont want to get into that now I need to focus on my c++ book(which I am having a hard time reading since its a soft book)
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 5:05am On Aug 20, 2009
@malone5923. I'm guessing u r having a hard time reading the soft copy not because C++ is making it hard but cos u r not used to staying in front of a monitor for a lenghty period. Did u go to www.softlookup.com and copy the C++ tutorial there. Pls do! A secret to learning a programming language is to get the concepts the language exposes & where they are useful. The how to get it done(syntax part) will come naturally with practice. While i was learning to program i used command prompt and Notepad. I believe every beginner should use that and leave out the flashy IDE till they are comfortable with the language. For a cmd prompt C++ compiler , google: Digital mars C++ compiler . it's free. Also, an advice while u r learning alway try to send output to the console(cmd prompt) it'll give u the assurance that what the tutorial said is fact in the language. Also sleep on an idea u just got from the tutorial that's not yet clear to u. It works magic.
Follow this and U WILL LEARN faster than i did. Also since we r talking about creating games with C++ any question on the language is welcome.
Keep playing and coding games. See u soon.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by malone5923(m): 10:45am On Aug 20, 2009
@duel. Thanks and I am using visual studios cmd prompt and for the advice about before sleeping I never thought about I think it will really work magic.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by debokaz(m): 7:01pm On Aug 20, 2009
Thanks for the good work.Infact u re too much.I have always written program in C and never tot its still relevant but ur post have changed my believe.Why not let have this whole tutorial as a doc or pdf document.Thanks once more.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by Seun(m): 7:06pm On Aug 20, 2009
debokaz:

Thanks for the good work.Infact u re too much.I have always written program in C and never tot its still relevant but your post have changed my believe.Why not let have this whole tutorial as a doc or pdf document.Thanks once more.
If you like, you can save the thread with IE or FIrefox. Nothing stops you from doing that.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by mecussey(m): 8:17pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jesus christ, what type human is Dueal; we really got extra ordinary creatures in this planet. Going back to my physics
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by richkids1(m): 1:13am On Aug 21, 2009
this is very good of you
and God keep on helping you as you help others
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by tiana85(f): 8:09pm On Aug 29, 2009
Ok, i'm really excited by all this.

@duel pls recommend a very good book dat i can use to learn gaming from scratch since deres no place i can learn here . I have very good knowledge of java, so i guess d book will have to be centred around java programming language. thanks
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 9:45pm On Aug 29, 2009
@tiana. Making the right recommendation on what book u should get to learn game programming using JAVA will be insanely difficult cos u could just google/amazon it up. I'm of the believe that Java has almost everything u need to create a 2D game in any of its released SDK's. For an engine to make 3D games with java, google and download JMONKEYENGINE. Hope that helps get u started. Good luck.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by richkids1(m): 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2009
this is very interesting
[color=#006600][/color]
dueal:

@malone5923 and @all. A Binary Space Partitioning(BSP) tree is a graphics data structure that divides a space into compact inter-linked chunks to form a data tree so as to provide efficient draw rates for a virtual world. That's about the simplest way to put it. Have u ever sat down to think of why game graphics hasn't gotten to the point where it looks exactly like u're playing an animated movie like Beowulf or Final Fantasy: the Spirit within?

Guess u have, and someone might have said it has to do with the processor speed. That's just the setback games have cause for a decent animation of the virtual world the computer has to calculate the bunch of code sequence that forms every other frame at a rate of 1/60th of a second or less. That's some work though and since processors have their limits game programmers started coming up with great ideas to make the processor have less work to do theirby giving it a little space to do the calculations that improve quality. They came up with Depth Buffers, Octrees, BSP's, Scene Graphs, Occluders e.t.c. All to reduce the amount of geometry that the processor (CPU & GPU) processes. There are other methods like View Frustrum culling, and some developers us Fog.

Now for your next question, how are shadows generated. It can be done the hard way or the easy way. Let me start with the easy way. Have u played the game Resident Evil 3: Nemesis on the Ps1? If u have try playing it again. U'll notice that the shadow for every character in the game is a simple circle projected at the feet of each character. Now the hard way. They are two that i know of that are used in games. One uses the stencil buffer of the graphics board and the other uses some generated texture as the game is playing. I totally understand and can explain the texture one. Here we take the lights direction to the object and draw a bitmap of the silhouette of the object as seen by the light. We then project that image onto the world also taking into consideration the lookAt direction of the camera. It a bit mathematical but less detailed than when the first stencil buffer method is used. U should download the Ogre3d graphics engine cause i'll be using that in discussion at some point here and it allows use of both methods.

Now for your 3rd question. The different genre of games are :
1. Action/arcade- Here the player is taken through a fast pacing game where he must advance by attacking unending obstacles to win. Games like ; Street of Rage on the mega drive/genesis and sonic the hedgehoge fall into this category.

2. Strategy: Here the speed and repetition of the players action is reduced as the player must plan he's empire so to speak before acting. They can be Turn based stratagy like the Metal Gear Acid on the PSP which give u for ever to decide a next line of action or they can be Real Time strategy like chess master.

3. Adventures : Here the player is give a world to play in but it ends when the whole story which the game is centered around ends.

4. Platforms: These are similar to the adventure type but it seems they are made a bit different cause the player must pick stuff like coins or coconuts and jump on platforms as they advance.

Keep playing and coding games. Later!
tiana85:

Ok, i'm really excited by all this.

@duel pls recommend a very good book dat i can use to learn gaming from scratch since deres no place i can learn here . I have very good knowledge of java, so i guess d book will have to be centred around java programming language. thanks
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by tiana85(f): 10:17am On Sep 05, 2009
@duel what laptop/notebook specifications(speed, RAM , ) are best for programming. I'm thinking of getting the hp compaq mini or the lg x120. i want something really portable and efficient at the same time, pls help
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 6:13pm On Sep 05, 2009
@tiana85. Programming doesn't necessarily need a processor with a lot of punch to it. I believe anything later than 1995 will serve the purpose.
@all. Sorry people for the delay in posting. Currently have a job to do that's not giving me enough spare time for anything else.
Keep playing and coding games.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 5:21pm On Nov 17, 2009
Hello all, it's really been quite sometime since i my last post, pardon me. Just got over developing a 2d childrens game for a huge client (though i'm still broke cos pay day hasn't come yet). It was created in flash using flash graphics and actionscript language. It's a Q&A and has a biblical theme yet fun. Just thought i should post some snaps.

Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by malone5923(m): 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2009
Good to have you back. I havent picked up my c++ book for while now, I am so lazy that's why I need a serious study partner.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by malone5923(m): 6:31pm On Nov 17, 2009
Good to have you back. I havent picked up my c++ book for while now, I am so lazy that's why I need a serious study partner.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by babadee08: 9:08pm On Nov 24, 2009
Hello, i m kinda new to this thread, though i am a game programmer, it is very intresting to know that people are taking game programming seriously. Anyway, when i started out on my journey to become a game programmer, i stumbled on a free game engine called "TRRLICHT". Irrlicht is a free 3D game engine and ever since i've been using it for my Game development. you guys might want to try it out, it's really cool.

though you require a proficient knowlege of C++, hmmmm, you have to really understand it.

cheers,
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 3:58pm On Nov 25, 2009
@all. Ah! IRRLICHT, A nice graphics rendering engine. As a note and a correction to the previous posters post, since irrlicht is not a game engine but only a graphics rendering subsystem u'll also need libraries for other stuff a game should have like input,sound,ai,physics e.t.c. Keep playing and coding games.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 10:31pm On Jan 15, 2010
@all. Just keepin d thread alive.happy new year. I'll post soon.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 7:23pm On Jan 21, 2010
@all. Happy new year! Sorry this greeting seems be late but it's still a new year right! Anyways, to all game aspirants out there in naija in particular, here's news that should keep u 'gingered'. A team of two programmers(i'm one of them) have been working hard (clocking 2yrs since) to bring to u a performing 2d/3d game engine. This project (code name LEERAX) currently in alpha stage at the moment is targeting the Windows, linux and Mac systems and has been developed with features for:
1. A graphics engine beautifully adorned with the 'widget'ting power of CEGUI library and the graphic capability of Ogre,
2.An input distributor making the implementation of multiplayer games easier for the budding developer,
3.A 2d and 3d sound systems to play surround sound in your virtual world,
4.A physics and collision detection engine,
5.Shader programming support for Cg, GLSL, and MS d3d HLSL,
also in development is the inclusion of scripting support for python and lua, we also want to include an Ogg Theora player for playback of movies. This should lead to the beta release of the engine which should be available around May or July. For anyone wanting to know if the final release will be distributed as a free-free software(zero charge in binary and open source) we are still contemplating about that issue of things but promise that the beta release will be a 6 month trial.Got to get back to working on it. Keep playing and coding  games. Before i forget, u'll have to know a little more about C++ or since we will be including scripting support for python and lua u should also have those languages as choice to use the engine to the fullest. Later.
Re: Aspiring Video Game Programmers Lounge. by dueal(m): 9:04pm On Jan 21, 2010
@moderator.Where's my last post?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Develop Android Apps From Scratch Without Coding. / Chronicles Of A Data practitioner In The UK / Picture And 16 step How To Drive Manual Motor Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.