Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent (9090 Views)

Catholics: Today Is Christ The King Sunday, As We Mark The Beginning Of Advent / Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent / Will He Come During This Advent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by apogeez(m): 5:20am On Nov 29, 2015
What Is Advent?

Advent is the period of four Sundays and weeks before Christmas (or sometimes from the 1st December to Christmas Day!). Advent means 'Coming' in Latin. This is the coming of Jesus into the world. Christians use the four Sundays and weeks of Advent to prepare and remember the real meaning of Christmas.

There are three meanings of 'coming' that Christians describe in Advent. The first, and most thought of, happened about 2000 years ago when Jesus came into the world as a baby to live as a man and die for us. The second can happen now as Jesus wants to come into our lives now. And the third will happen in the future when Jesus comes back to the world as King and Judge, not a baby.

Some people fast (don't eat anything) during advent to help them concentrate on preparing to celebrate Jesus's coming. In many Orthodox and Eastern Catholics Churches, Advent lasts for 40 days and starts on normal last Sunday of November after Christ the king and is also called the Nativity Fast.

cc. lalasticlala

Source:http://bennnaji..com.ng/2015/11/first-sunday-of-advent_28.html

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by talktonase(m): 5:35am On Nov 29, 2015
I guess many will believe that christ was born during winter...wondering how the three wise will journey in such a harsh wheather.This does not make sense at all

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Vince77(m): 5:40am On Nov 29, 2015
The Lord be with you........

3 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by tyson99(m): 5:41am On Nov 29, 2015
#proudcatholic#

18 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by damton(m): 7:59am On Nov 29, 2015
ok
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by emmabest2000(m): 7:59am On Nov 29, 2015
Jesus is Lord

8 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Aristotle96(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2015
Yo I can perseive Christmas... Click like if u feel same cheesy

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Charlydot2(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2015
Yes oooo....
apogeez:
What Is Advent?

Advent is the period of four Sundays and weeks before Christmas (or sometimes from the 1st December to Christmas Day!). Advent means 'Coming' in Latin. This is the coming of Jesus into the world. Christians use the four Sundays and weeks of Advent to prepare and remember the real meaning of Christmas.

There are three meanings of 'coming' that Christians describe in Advent. The first, and most thought of, happened about 2000 years ago when Jesus came into the world as a baby to live as a man and die for us. The second can happen now as Jesus wants to come into our lives now. And the third will happen in the future when Jesus comes back to the world as King and Judge, not a baby.

Some people fast (don't eat anything) during advent to help them concentrate on preparing to celebrate Jesus's coming. In many Orthodox and Eastern Catholics Churches, Advent lasts for 40 days and starts on normal last Sunday of November after Christ the king and is also called the Nativity Fast.

cc. lalasticlala

Source:http://bennnaji..com.ng/2015/11/first-sunday-of-advent_28.html

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by asdfjklhaha(f): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2015
Ok
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by allanphash7(m): 8:00am On Nov 29, 2015
Was jesus christ born on december 25th ?
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by djWALE(m): 8:01am On Nov 29, 2015
May we all see this year to an end...This year will not see us to an end...click to claim ur prayer...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Auxiliary(m): 8:02am On Nov 29, 2015
Today is my birthday...and thanks to all nairalanders for keeping me alive wink

3 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by juliusocean(m): 8:02am On Nov 29, 2015
Christmas postponed until further notice
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by costandi(m): 8:03am On Nov 29, 2015
Religion is death!

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by ChrisKonor: 8:03am On Nov 29, 2015
May the lord be praised...
For beauty & fashion tips logon to http://ilookdope.com
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by emmaliveth10(m): 8:04am On Nov 29, 2015
cool cool

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2015
I never still go church oo

I dey look for my church shoe embarassed

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Nobody: 8:05am On Nov 29, 2015
cheesy
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by odinese(m): 8:08am On Nov 29, 2015
Cool

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Captain2605(m): 8:09am On Nov 29, 2015
talktonase:
I guess many will believe that christ was born during winter...wondering how the three wise will journey in such a harsh wheather.This does not make sense at all
GOD can make the harshest of weather easy for them to journey in, after all he created everything, both harsh and cool weather.. Anything of God is beyond human comprehension my brother..

6 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Mortiano(m): 8:10am On Nov 29, 2015
it calls for a reflection on what we have done well and what we didn't do well. as a Catholic, today marks the beginning of expectaton of christ, the messiah... as we wait to join in the celebration of birth of christ, may we experience joy and life fulfillment in the zenith level, may we find peace and everlasting solitudes in our life

happy xmas, my fellow nairalanders
happy xmas, my beloved Christian brothers
happy xmas, Nigerians of South South, South Eastern extractions
Happy xmas, my fellow countrymen

aisha alla

4 Likes

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Nobody: 8:12am On Nov 29, 2015
Black man go carry white man religion for head, white man don wise up dey see say na scam. Go to israel where d religion originated from dem be jews der. Till the day black pple go back to thier culture and religion we go continue to wallow in confusion. Shout out to the indians who no gree for white man brainwashing

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Funjosh(m): 8:16am On Nov 29, 2015
Hallelujah Amen smiley
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by kennyddonn(m): 8:17am On Nov 29, 2015
ok
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by teemy(m): 8:17am On Nov 29, 2015
apogeez remove the exclamation mark from the title to give correct message. cheers

1 Like

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by philfrey08: 8:19am On Nov 29, 2015
Happy Advent everyone....

Sorry am sending this in church
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by WhoBeThisMan: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2015
I have a question for seun and lalasticlala. Why is it that anyone is alowed to come in and say anything they like in a purely christian thread, but if its anything that involves islam in anyway, you apply restrictions?

Is nairaland a muslim site?

Thank you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by Nobody: 8:22am On Nov 29, 2015
ok
Re: Today Mark's The First Sunday Of Advent by johnson4nosa(m): 8:22am On Nov 29, 2015
hmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amen - What About Ase Instead Of Amin / Your Eyes Your Mind!! Your Mind Your Eyes!!! / Read Apostle Michael Orokpo Biography And His New Ministry: Jesus Encounters Min

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.