Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,687 members, 7,816,799 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga (2193 Views)

Carrot Jollof Rice: How To Prepare Jollof Rice With Carrot And No Tomatoes / African Jollof Rice Challenge: $5000 Prize For Best Jollof Rice Cook In Africa / Would You Eat This Preserved Jollof Rice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga by sophiat(f): 11:24am On Nov 30, 2015
See hen, I've always heard stories about how some people come up with their best efforts under pressure, I totally experienced it first hand this weekend. So I went over to my boyfriend - Tayo's house to see him and while I was going I branched at an eatery to get a bucket of chicken and chips for both of us cuz he complained he was hungry and knowing how lazy he is, I knew he wouldn't have any reasonable ingredients at home.

I got there, we ate and were just watching movies when we heard a knock on the door. He opened the door and saw his mum. I had never met his mum in my life. I was so scared, all the stories I've heard about the woman had been scary. She came in looking really tired and stressed. I greeted her and Tayo just said Mummy meet Sophiat. She managed to smile and say hello. In my mind I was like "hen hen, mo ti te" I wasn't sure how to react but I just kept calm.

She settled down and started narrating how she just returned to Lagos from a journey but her luggage was misplaced. She was told to come back to the park in 3 hours and she thought she would come wait in Tayo's place since it was closer than her house. She immediately asked if there was food and Tayo replied no.

You can imagine how embarrassed I was standing there with my future mother-in-law (hopefully) and there was no food to even offer her. I understand it wasn't my house but I was desperate to make a good first impression especially knowing how tough the woman is. I don't even know what got into me but I ha told her to hold on, I'll fix something.

I got into Tayo's kitchen and saw he only had raw rice, garri and vegetable oil. Would have gone to the market which was 30 minutes away but knowing that the woman was really hungry, I didn't want to waste time. So I stepped out of the house and within a few yards, I saw a mallam's store. I went there and bought tomato paste ground pepper, and seasoning. Aboki said he only had Onga seasoning (which I've never used), I didn't care , I just collected it and ran back home.

I got back into the house and cooked the fastest concoction rice in history. Oh boy, I didn't know how I did it or I got the skills. I made the jollof rice like that o. Maybe it was the pressure or need to impress, whatever it was the rice came out really good. I mean super good. One of the best I've tasted. I served the woman, used the remaining chicken from the bucket of chicken I bought to support it and she ate every last drop. She managed to crack a smile afterwards and Tayo was just there looking amazed like what the hell just happened.

I have to say I have never felt so proud of myself. The whole thing looked like a nollywood movie as it happened but abeg, husbands are scarce, a lady's gotta do what she gotta do. wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 30, 2015
U made the food so good coz it was made out of love...
Every dish that was made out of love & passion has a different taste than any food u cook juz for the sake of cooking...
Well done,u made it. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga by favourume(f): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
U no try, u for show us picture of the rice so we too can judge if you tried or not.
Re: I Made My Best Jollof Rice With Onga by prettyjo(f): 8:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
nice

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Buy Cyanide In Lagos / I Just Killed My 3 Year Hunt (picks Attached).. Huge Enough For A Great Soup / Magic Table Top Gas Cooker With Grill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.