Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses (544 Views)

Solve This Riddle. Only For Geniuses / 10 People Who Died The Unluckiest Deaths / NAIRALANDERS ARE GENIUSES: See What This Nairalander Put Together... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses by greenhope(m): 4:20pm On Nov 30, 2015
People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses according to Scientist
This came to me as a shock this afternoon when I stumbled on this research report

Seriously, I see people who talk to them when walking on the road has people that has got some issues either mental, emotional, spiritual or brokolysies pardon me is the science of being broke and not having money in the pocket.

Do you talk to yourself? Don’t get embarrassed admitting it because science has discovered that those who talk to themselves are actually geniuses… and not crazy!

Research Background

Psychologist-researcher Gary Lupyan conducted an experiment where 20 volunteers were shown objects, in a supermarket, and were asked to remember them. Half of them were told to repeat the objects, for example, banana, and the other half remained silent. In the end, the result shown that self-directed speech aided people to find the objects faster, by 50 to 100 milliseconds, compared to the silent ones.

“I’ll often mutter to myself when searching for something in the refrigerator or the supermarket shelves,” said Gary Lupyan. This personal experience actually made him conduct this experiment. Lupyan, together with another psychologist, Daniel Swigley, came up with the outcomes that those to talk to oneself are geniuses. Here are the reasons:

It stimulates your memory

When you are talking to yourself, your sensory mechanism gets activated. It gets easier on your memory since you can visualise the word, and you can act accordingly.

It helps stay focused
When you are saying it loud, you stay focused on your task, and it helps you recognise that stuff immediately. Of course, this only helps if you know what the object you are searching looks like. For example, a banana is yellow in colour, and you know how a banana looks like. So when you are saying it loud, your brain immediately pictures the image on your mind. But if you don’t know what banana looks like, then there is no effect of saying it loud.

http://trevohealthreport..com.ng/2015/11/people-who-talk-to-themselves-are.html
Re: Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses by kilokeys(m): 4:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
Normalizing craze...

Oyinbo and theories.. Okay o
Re: Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 30, 2015
dat mean say science don dey mad too
Re: Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses by obinnashady(m): 4:44pm On Nov 30, 2015
Science de hallucinogen
Re: Scientist Says People Who Talk To Themselves Are Geniuses by greenhope(m): 6:45am On Dec 01, 2015
But you know someone the theory makes sense

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do To Your Child If He Does This To Your TV? / A Letter To My Boss / Fortis Mobile Money Rewards Over 100 Best Agents_daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.