Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,504 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] (597 Views)

The Gun - A Short Story. / Keg Of Gun Powder - Written By Rita C. Chima / A Gun, A Ghost And Two Olokpas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] by T2Justman(m): 4:50am On Dec 01, 2015
I'm a writer but I stopped posting on this forum because my stories which are original (and most times a product of painstaking research) don't get the attention they deserve. I decided to share this piece with fellow Nairalanders because today is World AIDS Day. I hope you enjoy it. As for whether the Mods would move this to Homepage, especially when you consider the kind of topics that make HP these days, I don't really care.

[center][/center]It Is Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills But The Hand That Pulls The Trigger

The village of Umuofia was thrown into confusion on an Eke market day. The business of that day was grounded by the tragedy of that morning. At the popular Eke market square, the awful sight which was beheld by many brought tears even to the eyes of men. Leaving their thoughts to wonder, emotions were running high. An onlooker who could not hold his feelings exclaimed within the crowd, “Hey, abomination! Arukwonwa!
Cold chill ran down the spin of many as they watched Mazi Okafor’s son suspended on a tree by a rope. His breath was snuffed out by the well looped noose around his neck. The question on everyone’s mind was, “Why would a promising youth of Umuofia take his life in such a despicable manner?”
The answer which was far-fetched from the onlookers was hidden in the lifeless heart of Ifemelu who had been a business man at the popular Onitsha main market. The young man who tested positive to HIV could not contain the thought of the stigma that awaits him in the streets of his country. The mere thought of the discrimination that he would face took him to the market where he bought a rope, came down to his village where he made a noose and hung himself on a tree. Ifemelu’s choice of committing suicide in his village was to be closer to the grave of his fathers.
The rising tide of discriminating against people living with HIV is fast turning into a nightmare. We have refused to understand the fact that it is not the virus in HIV that kills but our attitude towards people living with the virus. Yes, our attitude towards people affects their action. The ignorance of men and women in our society kills faster than the virus itself. We often ignore the fact that everyone is at the risk of contracting this virus, whereas those who are living with the virus are erroneously believed to have shaken hands with the devil.
In Nigeria, ministries are scattered to carter for the needs of people living with the virus as regard ARDs and counseling, but it beats my imagination to learn that many who are supposed to take advantage of these offers are nowhere to be found. They are often held bound in their ‘caves’ by the manacles of the fear of stigmatization and discrimination. They wrongly think that coming out to seek for these helps will expose them to the prying eyes of the ‘gossipy’ public. Some, like Ifemelu, go to the point of calling it a quit to this beautiful life by burning themselves at the stake.
According to Wikipedia, Nigeria ranks second in the prevalence of HIV, but if you ask me, I would say that that is not the worst case scenario. Stigma contributes, to a large extent, the sad stories told by many. An employer whose employee is suspected to be living with the virus gets an immediate sack letter. A woman whose husband is rumoured to have died from the virus is treated like a leper. It was quite pathetic hearing the story of an orphan who was driven into the harshness of the street all because stories had it that his parents died of AIDS. My dear, what do you think would become of you or your child when faced with rejection. “God forbid!” you would say. Well, a biblical injunction says it all__ ‘Do to others as you would have them do to you’.
As a result of the way people living with this virus are regarded, especially in this part of the world, a man that test positive to the virus would rather hang himself than wait to be greeted by the unfriendly hands of discrimination. But, do you know what? The man that hangs himself and the one that metes out discrimination to someone living with the virus are guilty. Yes, they are guilty of IGNORANCE! The truth is that people who are living with the virus are not barred from living a long and a healthy life. Ask the doctors.
My dear, it is sad to know that young people, especially on campuses, still indulge in risky behaviours. Many still parade the streets and our campuses without knowing their HIV status. Our stubborn legs have refused to conform to the good habit of going for routine HIV test. Little wonder that most of us get to find out that we are living with the virus when the head is already chopped off.
The cliché is, “If you’re not infected, you’re affected.” So, let’s join hands in making sure that Africa and indeed the world is rid of this nightmare called HIV/AIDS. Remain vigilant for it may be in your neighbourhood, especially a lot of youths are idle. I know you still remember what they say about Idleness. Above all, show love and care to people living with the virus. That’s the only way we can contribute to the international fight against this malady that sneaked into our neighbourhood at night.
Finally, remember that what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. So, show love, not just to loved ones; SHOW LOVE TO PEOPLE LIVING WITH HIV/AIDS.

Say No To HIV in Nigeria!
Say No To AIDS by knowing your HIV status!!
Say No To Risky Behaviours!!!

Let’s Make Nigeria Great!!!!

www.ordinaryjustice.com
Follow me on Twitter @Ordinaryjustice
Re: It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] by foxzy(m): 5:41am On Dec 01, 2015
U try but me no read anything... Ooo
Re: It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] by Nobody: 5:49am On Dec 01, 2015
Interesting
Re: It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] by Khd95(m): 6:17am On Dec 01, 2015
Make i go brush my colanut teeth first
Re: It's Not The Bullet In A Gun That Kills__ [a Must Read] by wahles(m): 7:37am On Dec 01, 2015
Beautiful one bruv# solid material

(1) (Reply)

Home Of Poems And Fictions / Ibadan To Abeokuta / The Hunt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.