Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,421 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

Do You Believe In God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In God? (894 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In God? by amnestylaw(m): 3:54pm On May 28, 2009
Studies show that most Nigerians believe in God. Is this belief justified? Some people say "NO". Judge for yourself and contribute your answers to thetopic: DOES GOD EXIST?
Re: Do You Believe In God? by pilgrim1(f): 4:06pm On May 28, 2009
amnestylaw:

Studies show that most Nigerians believe in God. Is this belief justified? Some people say "NO". Judge for yourself and contribute your answers to thetopic: DOES GOD EXIST?

There are several threads already on the subject of 'does God exist'.
Re: Do You Believe In God? by CNOETIC: 5:05pm On May 28, 2009
pilgrim.1:

There are several threads already on the subject of 'does God exist'.

and nearly all these threads have established the very existence of GOD.
Re: Do You Believe In God? by mazaje(m): 5:37pm On May 28, 2009
C-NOETIC:

and nearly all these threads have established the very existence of GOD.

how? grin grin grin
Re: Do You Believe In God? by CNOETIC: 5:42pm On May 28, 2009
mazaje:

how?  grin grin grin

isnt it obvious. . . . . .were u not a participant at arriving at this conclusion? grin grin
Re: Do You Believe In God? by mazaje(m): 7:39pm On May 28, 2009
C-NOETIC:

isnt it obvious. . . . . .were u not a participant at arriving at this conclusion? grin grin

thou discredited lair. . . . how many time will you be caught lying all over nairaland? you began by asserting something i asked you how and you reply with a non answer. . . . .
Re: Do You Believe In God? by CNOETIC: 8:33pm On May 28, 2009
mazaje:

thou discredited lair. . . . how many time will you be caught lying all over nairaland? you began by asserting something i asked you how and you reply with a non answer. . . . .
grin grin grin grin
I can never take ur title away from you. . . .you hold the record of several lies per thread on nairaland.

Have u ever established the non-existence of GOD, either scientifically or intellectually?
Re: Do You Believe In God? by manmustwac(m): 8:45pm On May 28, 2009
@amnestylaw
welcome to nairaland smiley As for me i don't believe in god or any god for that matter. Religion is the opium of the masses especially for us africans. The masses think they can prayer, fast or speak in tongues their way out of poverty while they give their precious hard earned money to thier pastors who are experts at taking advantage of the situation.
Re: Do You Believe In God? by budaatum: 9:12pm On May 28, 2009
manmustwac:

@amnestylaw
welcome to nairaland smiley As for me i don't believe in god or any god for that matter. Religion is the opium of the masses especially for us africans. The masses think they can prayer, fast or speak in tongues their way out of poverty while they give their precious hard earned money to thier pastors who are experts at taking advantage of the situation.
Personally, I am glad there is one more thread on the subject, as I haven't had the opportunity to contribute to al those that exist and can't seem to find my way into the discussion. Let me state for the record that for me, God does not exist - and this is not a belief, it is what I know, though I am not here to bother to convince anyone as it is not a thing that can be proven. What I would say is that the very word 'God', has always been a concept that signifies the unknown, which at any point in time is considered unknowable, though evidence has shown that our ignorance of things reduces as time goes by.

Having said that, is religion good for people?
My answer is yes it is. And that can be understood by the fact that we would not even have an education system anywhere in the world if it were not for the fact that people had to be taught something - that thing being the knowledge of all that is, or is known by those who determine to teach it, which in the very early days of human civilisation happened to be Knowledge of God, and today has become doctoring, lawyering, engineering etc.

It is a pity that religion, at least as practised by the churches, has remained indoctrination, however, as opposed to teaching people how to think. People are continuously told what to believe, which is what is meant by "opium of the people" becasue it does not require exercising the mind one iota, and creates the people we see today - or at least, some people - who blindly accept what they are told is so without questioning on the part of the individual. And as far as I can understand, even Jesus raved on about that not being what people should do, or didn't he say those who tell you what to believe don't believe it themselves?

Religion is not limited to what you have suggested above, amnestylaw, there is quite a lot more to it than just that, which is good and necessary.
Re: Do You Believe In God? by JeSoul(f): 9:23pm On May 28, 2009
Buda atum,
you may not be a believer in God but I have just become a fan of yours as this has got to be the wisest, most balanced, logical and honest post from any atheist ever on these boards. I hope you are here to stay!  kiss

buda atum:

Personally, I am glad there is one more thread on the subject, as I haven't had the opportunity to contribute to al those that exist and can't seem to find my way into the discussion. Let me state for the record that for me, God does not exist - and this is not a belief, it is what I know, though I am not here to bother to convince anyone as it is not a thing that can be proven. What I would say is that the very word 'God', has always been a concept that signifies the unknown, which at any point in time is considered unknowable, though evidence has shown that our ignorance of things reduces as time goes by.
  In the terms of human secular reasoning, yes & nodding in total agreement.

Having said that, is religion good for people?
My answer is yes it is. And that can be understood by the fact that we would not even have an education system anywhere in the world if it were not for the fact that people had to be taught something - that thing being the knowledge of all that is, or is known by those who determine to teach it, which in the very early days of human civilisation happened to be Knowledge of God, and today has become doctoring, lawyering, engineering etc.
  Good point.

It is a pity that religion, at least as practised by the churches, has remained indoctrination, however, as opposed to teaching people how to think. People are continuously told what to believe, which is what is meant by "opium of the people" becasue it does not require exercising the mind one iota, and creates the people we see today - or at least, some people - who blindly accept what they are told is so without questioning on the part of the individual. And as far as I can understand, even Jesus raved on about that not being what people should do, or didn't he say those who tell you what to believe don't believe it themselves?

A pity that I (and I'm certain multitudes of other christians) share deeply. You're right on about Jesus himself teaching on the subject about knowing what you believe and why you believe it and the bible goes further to teach that you should be ready to defend it and answer for it.
Re: Do You Believe In God? by budaatum: 10:03pm On May 29, 2009
JeSoul:

Buda atum,
you may not be a believer in God but I have just become a fan of yours as this has got to be the wisest, most balanced, logical and honest post from any atheist ever on these boards. I hope you are here to stay!  kiss
  In the terms of human secular reasoning, yes & nodding in total agreement.
  Good point.

A pity that I (and I'm certain multitudes of other christians) share deeply. You're right on about Jesus himself teaching on the subject about knowing what you believe and why you believe it and the bible goes further to teach that you should be ready to defend it and answer for it.
I come along every so often, JeSoul, I am all over the web really if you try [url=http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB265GB265&num=100&newwindow=1&q=%22buda+atum%22&btnG=Search]Google[/url]. It just bothers me that some people, atheists and people of other religions have to take an us or them attitude when it comes to things to do with religion. Even those who claim they believe that they should love their neighbours abandon that believe when they note that their neighbour does not believe like they do. Makes me wonder if the law really did read "love only the neighbours who believe like you do", though Jesus is is written to have said, "even the Samaritan", who ws considered the Judas of Yahweh.

I blame the atheists though, really. Some of us have made atheism into a religion in its own right, so we cannot claim to be any better than a Christian or a Muslim - we all seem to have something we decide to believe over something else. If only we could understand what Paul meant when he said, "the hand cannot do the work of the foot", or something to that effect.

Anyway, I'll try visit every so often. I think Nairaland rocks  kiss

(1) (Reply)

Armed Robbers Surrender…receive Support From Prophet Tb Joshua / Is Jesus Truelly Coming Back - We Have Been Waiting 2000+ Years / Miley Cyrus Denounces Jesus - Embraces Evolution In Tweet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.