Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,656 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles (3383 Views)

Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) A Best Alternative To Petrol / Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Can We Talk About It! / Why Do Some Nigerians Have A Flat Wooden Board In Their Vehicles (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by nosiebaba(m): 7:53am On Dec 02, 2015
Recall that Nipco had, few days ago, imported 37 million litres of petrol when most marketers refused to import owing to the outstanding subsidy claims of over N413 billion.

Acknowledging the support of Nipco, especially with its commencement of product imports, Kachikwu implored  other marketers to follow suit as all pending obligations to them in respect of subsidy claims, and other commitments would be settled soon.

The Minister commended the efforts of Nipco as a Nigerian investment sitting on a Nigerian soil, adding “we need to rally round the company and support it in the overall interest of the nation and its populace.”

Earlier in his address, Managing Director, Nipco, Mr. Venkataraman Venkatapathy, said the company had remained an ally of government in ensuring product availability across the country through its depot operations and branded stations and independent marketer’s outlets that load at its terminal.

He noted that pricing of petroleum products at its depot have always been at the government approved depot rate, adding that concerted efforts are also being made to ensure that only registered marketers with verifiable outlets load in the company.

Venkatapathy, however, implored government to look into the area of gas especially in the realm of Compressed Natural Gas as vehicular fuel as such feat will save the nation and the citizenry hiccups always experienced in the importation of liquid fuels.

The depots visited include NIPCO, Folawiyo, MRS and Capital Oil depots, all in Lagos State.
Nigeria has trillions of cubic feet reserve of Natural gas. Currently in Nigeria, cars are being converted to use natural gas by Nipco plc and it's 60% cheaper than petrol. A car that spends 10000 on petrol will utilize jst 4000 naira on gas for an equivalent distance travel.
Below are pics of cars using Natural gas.
I just hope Nigerians will take advantage of this technology and finally give petrol the stiff competition it needs to curb the problem caused by scarcity.
Culled from the sun newspaper

1 Share

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 02, 2015
Can a BMW 3 series be modified to use natural gas? I'll love. To know how the conversion works?
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by peterjero(m): 12:45pm On Dec 02, 2015
adeniyisavage:
Can a BMW 3 series be modified to use natural gas? I'll love. To know how the conversion works?
Call the number by the side of the car.
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by leonn(m): 2:07am On Dec 05, 2015
I truelly love this technology, I have seen it work on many vehicles, I even hired one and d consumption is very friendly, I have also been to many of their gas stations 2 in Benin Edo state and d one in Lagos Ibadan express way in Ogun state. I actually seek an opportunity to be part of this great innovation by way of partnership of job opportunity. As a mechanical engineer am always curious to know and learn.....kindly hook me up for any opportunity that may arise...07062025171/ 08068746048
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by praxisnetworks: 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2015
Interesting Siena what do you have to say here
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by TCD: 1:29pm On Dec 06, 2015
Until you are using gas and it runs out on you on the expressway. for this to work we need many more natural gas stations suitably distributed across the country.

2 Likes

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Originalsly: 11:04pm On Dec 06, 2015
Hmmm.....natural gas... the auto industry tried that and moved on to hybrid...electric/gas vehicles....and are now moving on to fully electric....and here we are hoping to go down the path of natural gas with the kind of experimental and short cut mechanics , poor maintenance culture and lack of road worthy enforcememt.
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by praxisnetworks: 11:56pm On Dec 06, 2015
Originalsly:
Hmmm.....natural gas... the auto industry tried that and moved on to hybrid...electric/gas vehicles....and are now moving on to fully electric....and here we are hoping to go down the path of natural gas with the kind of experimental and short cut mechanics , poor maintenance culture and lack of road worthy enforcememt.
Moving bombs

1 Like

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Originalsly: 11:58pm On Dec 06, 2015
praxisnetworks:

Moving bombs
Well...I didn't want to be blunt!...but you got my drift!

1 Like

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by leonn(m): 7:12am On Dec 07, 2015
not really bro as regards been stranded on the highway, it actually runs both on natural gas and normal fuel. you can switch to pms when gas gets exhausted, meaning when you use gas always have reserve pms on your normal fuel tank.
TCD:
Until you are using gas and it runs out on you on the expressway. for this to work we need many more natural gas stations suitably distributed across the country.
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by leonn(m): 7:17am On Dec 07, 2015
The only odd i see in this design is the fact that the gas tank always takes space and very obvious to the eyes, imagine driving a sedan and the gas tank taking over the space in your boot. apart from that its cheaper, more efficient and environmental friendly.
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by TCD: 9:03am On Dec 07, 2015
leonn:
The only odd i see in this design is the fact that the gas tank always takes space and very obvious to the eyes, imagine driving a sedan and the gas tank taking over the space in your boot. apart from that its cheaper, more efficient and environmental friendly.
plus i can imagine here in the north during every police/security search you will probably be mistaken for carrying IED'S.

1 Like

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by geesampower(m): 12:05pm On Dec 07, 2015
TCD:
plus i can imagine here in the north during every police/security search you will probably be mistaken for carrying IED'S.
Seriously, we aint ready for this in Nigeria
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by FFOD(m): 8:24pm On Dec 07, 2015
geesampower:

Our security situation aside, we are ready, all it takes is an explanation.
Look at it from the perspective of takinng your cooking gas cylinder in the boot for a refill at the nearby filling station?

Will our MIB challenge you?
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Nobody: 2:43am On Dec 08, 2015
Well, this is a very good & impressive innovation but my prayer is; may the Boko Haramites never be able to think or devise means of hijacking about 72 of these gas-laden vehicles and ram them at the Redeem, DeeperLife, ChristEmbassy & MFM churches simultaneously on a very beautiful & shiny sunday morning. grin
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Nobody: 12:24am On Dec 09, 2015
Most gasoline engines (with the exception of certain GDI / FSI versions) can be converted to run on both petrol and gas. Just be aware, gas does NOT provide valve lubricant like petrol does, which means prolonged use of gas will ruin your valves. A good LPG system will include upper cylinder lubricant.

The good news is gas has a higher octane rating than petrol, meaning detonation is less likely.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Nobody: 12:27am On Dec 09, 2015
geesampower:

If every Nigerian reasons this way, Nigeria will NEVER be ready to advance with the times.

2 Likes

Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Waspy(m): 8:08am On Dec 09, 2015
TCD:
Q.E.D
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by FFOD(m): 6:10am On Dec 11, 2015
Siena:
Most gasoline engines (with the exception of certain GDI / FSI versions) can be converted to run on both petrol and gas. Just be aware, gas does NOT provide valve lubricant like petrol does, which means prolonged use of gas will ruin your valves. A good LPG system will include upper cylinder lubricant.

The good news is gas has a higher octane rating than petrol, meaning detonation is less likely.

Hello Siena, so what do you recommend if a layman decides to pursue this route, how do I lubricate my valves or is there something that has to be modified under the hood.

Secondly, please throw more light on the higher octane rating not exploding; to me higher octane rating is desirable for the engine, what am I missing?
Re: Nipco Plc Implores Nigerians To Use Natural Gas For Their Vehicles by Shalomc(f): 10:37am On May 02, 2018
An old thread

(1) (Reply)

. / Peugeot: gggggg / Advise Needed Urgently Between Lexus ES 350 Vs Hyundai Sonata

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.