Stats: 3,151,843 members, 7,813,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked (9185 Views)

Kebbi State University Of Science And Technology Official Website Hacked (2) (3) (4)

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by freemanbubble: 8:54am On Dec 04, 2015
yes
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by GeoOla25(m): 9:12am On Dec 04, 2015
End time website and hacker
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by rottennaija(m): 9:20am On Dec 04, 2015
fratermathy:
The official website of the Akwa-Ibom State Government has been hacked by an unknown person that calls himself Xvirus. The website has been defaced and replaced with a page linking to the hacker's Facebook account.
It should be noted that this is not the first time that the websites of Nigerian Governmental Agencies, Ministries and the official website of the Federal Government itself have been hacked. One can recall some months ago when some hackers defaced our official website http://nigeria.gov.ng.
Although this hack attempt will be neutralised once the web developers of the website observe it (which is one of the aims of this write-up), it should be stressed that we need to protect our websites, especially vital and sensitive ones such as the Governmental Websites, from hackers. Vital documents can be stolen, confidential matters laid bare, and a whole lot of other calamities can be conjured by the hackers to unleash mayhem in a myriad of ways upon us and/or our Governments.
It is time for Nigeria to rethink her cyber security. When was the last time we heard that Governmental websites in the U.S. or U.K. were hacked? Are their computers, servers, web-hosts, etc, any different from ours? These nations pay critical attention to cyber security. Infact, when a website belonging to a major movie production company was hacked last year, the United States Government treated the issue as a national security threat and responded pro-actively.
We need to make our websites hack-proof by employing "ethical hackers" (such as myself cheesy) to test websites for exploits and vulnerabilities that may render them hackable. Websites should be hosted on dedicated servers which are procured legitimately and protected from leeching, viruses, illegal RDP connections, etc. Governmental websites must employ SSL certificates and make their connection HTTPS "secure"! Websites must make directory listing impossible and also prevent hotlinking of files. File uploads, if they must be present, should be routed to temporary folders or public directories and should not be in the same directories with vital website files. File extensions must be limited to "PNG", "FLV", "OGG", etc. These extensions are harder to use as "viral masks". Ports should be limited to basic ones like :80, :8080, :2096 and :2082. Ports such as :2222, :53, :21, etc, should be disabled if possible and forwarded if impossible. Daily backups, at best, and weekly backups, at worst, should be carried out on servers and websites. IP blacklisting should be enabled and site hits closely monitored. In fact, I could go on and on on cyber security and would not get tired. However, I have said the most salient points that should be put in place for a "hack-proof website". While no website is "TOTALLY SAFE" from hack attempts, we can minimise their possibilities and make it harder to attempt by blocking all vulnerabilities.
Please we need CHANGE in CYBER SECURITY or else, a terrible hacker shall soon rise and undertake a "cyber-coup" of our Federal Government! All levels of Governments in the country should take note. It should finally be noted that I am simply a student of knowledge and a devout computer "worshipper", I do not claim to be an authority. In essence, my write-up is subject to scrutiny, edits, corrections and what-have-we.

Meanwhile, the hacked website is http://akwaibomstate.gov.ng/ (see screenshot below)
Akwa-Ibom State is the largest oil producing state in Nigeria! Its capital is in the serene and notably neat city of Uyo. The current Governor is Deacon Udom E. Udom.

OP, are you sure you didn't hack the website to introduce yourself? To get government attention?
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by engrjacuzzi: 9:20am On Dec 04, 2015
boys ain't smiling this December
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by Boyooosa(m): 9:53am On Dec 04, 2015
Nice Marketing skill bro! wink
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by fratermathy(m): 10:20am On Dec 04, 2015
rottennaija:

OP, are you sure you didn't hack the website to introduce yourself? To get government attention?

grin cheesy. That'd be genius. Wouldn't it cool.?
Anyway, I didn't do it though. I wish I did.
Freemanan and Goodboiyy may have done it. Ask them tongue
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by tk4rd: 11:07am On Dec 04, 2015
Xvirus is a computer-security and cyber-security firm...

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by mmsen: 11:13am On Dec 04, 2015
This is a dumb article. The author is ignorant about cyber security.

You cannot make a site "hack proof" and US/UK government sites get hacked all the time - the OPM was compromised earlier this year, 14 million people affected http://afritechnet..co.uk/2015/06/the-office-of-personnel-management-how.html

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 04, 2015
fratermathy:

grin cheesy. That'd be genius. Wouldn't it cool.?
Anyway, I didn't do it though. I wish I did.
Freemanan and Goodboiyy may have done it. Ask them tongue

Omo I no be hacker o. to b sincere wen I saw this thread I was surprised. Fratermathy still understand Web stuff . I think say ur knowledge ends in Art/social science stuff oo
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by fratermathy(m): 5:50pm On Dec 04, 2015
Goodboiyy:

Omo I no be hacker o. to b sincere wen I saw this thread I was surprised. Fratermathy still understand Web stuff . I think say ur knowledge ends in Art/social science stuff oo

I'm a jack of all knowledge. tongue
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 04, 2015
xvirus is a dogged guy.. check my signature Download Album: Rick Ross - Black Market (Album) + Zip File
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 05, 2015
Tinydick:
yeea...Good one...naija get hot brain niggas.
creative niggas...

I tink d guy deserves an award....naija govt. should train him for more of this in future...

Weldon bro.

A criminal deserves an award? They should train him to hack more websites? Why do our youths think with their anus?

To those asking what he gains, hackers are basically for hire. He has put a link to contact him specifically for that purpose. Eg. Konga will hire him to disrupt Jumia's website..
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by Nobody: 6:40am On Dec 05, 2015
og2711:

A criminal deserves an award? They should train him to hack more websites? Why do our youths think with their anus?

To those asking what he gains, hackers are basically for hire. He has put a link to contact him specifically for that purpose. Eg. Konga will hire him to disrupt Jumia's website..

Tank u....
our govt will hire him to d same to dat of America tongue
og2711:

Tank u....
our govt will hire him to d same to dat of America
Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by LaynetNG: 5:18pm On Jan 10, 2016
There is no site that cannot be hacked except you put in some security measures in place. Even websites on VPS and Dedicated servers can be hacked, it might only take more specialty.

The only thing is that the developers for these government sites collect huge money and end up putting up crappy Joomla/WordPress/Drupal sites up to represent the government. Virtually 85% of Government agency websites are guilty of these. Don't get me wrong, WordPress, Joomla and Drupal are wonderful CMS solution and we use them too but there are additional securities that must be put in place to properly secure them and trust me most hackers hack for fun, business, hacking skill testing, competition, while some hack for information not only on the website but most times in the emails of the owners or from other hosted applications.

Can your site be hacked? Yes it can! Website hack experience is not a matter of if but a matter of when. All websites are susceptible to being hacked.

With our solutions, your site can be fully protected from hack and malware infection while you also get instant alerts for any modifications on your sites real-time and in the advent of any successful hack, you can have your site restored in less than 5 mins before it goes public because our solution makes backup of your entire website daily.

Talk to us and let us help you secure your website absolutely and if you a developer with multiple sites, we can work with you.

+234 (1) 2933269
+234 (802)360 4700
sales@laynet.com.ng

Re: Akwa Ibom Government Website Hacked by okenwa(m): 5:46pm On Jan 10, 2016

Your Experience With Area Boys / 82-year-old Man Remanded For N41m Fraud In Oyo / Corruption: Buhari Directs PACAC To Sell Assets Forfeited, Remit Funds To TSA