Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,637 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading (1141 Views)

Why NASS Is Loosing Public Support / FG Laments Poor Public Support For Anti-graft War / 10 Questions From Buhari "Public Assets Declearation" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by BrosPeter: 6:59am On Dec 05, 2015
[size=14pt]Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading[/size]

Corruption cannot be uprooted in six months but why are its many bold signposts still untouched? Nigerians know that Rome was not built in a day but they also know that the builders of Rome didn’t use baskets to fetch water. When the new government came hope, enthusiasm and optimism swelled. Some took to the roads on feet chaffed by poverty to trek hundreds of kilometers, convinced that misery and hopelessness had been served a quit notice. Six months after, euphoria has subsided, enthusiasm has waned, the bounce hasn’t become bust, but even Buhari’s many supporters have moved from muffled ‘hmmmmm’ to audible gasps – ‘ah ah’.
We know the ills of the country cannot be sorted in one day but this government must understand that Nigerians have invested huge emotions in it. And if this inertia isn’t transient and therefore benign, if it becomes sustained indolence, ordinary Nigerians may force the change they seek and it won’t be easy going.

Many still have faith in Buhari but when APC governorship candidates are announced these days a sinking feeling of hopelessness sits in. Because you get the feeling that even after having won the national elections Buhari has not managed to stamp his authority on the party and affect the way things are done and who represents the party.

While his party may not be in immediate jeopardy because the rival PDP is in shambles, the nation cannot survive the current lack of a clear economic direction. Local and international confidence in the economy has dipped. No one knows where it is headed. In an import dependent economy, companies cannot obtain foreign exchange for their letters of credit? The unemployment crisis is being compounded by layoffs. It is true Buhari inherited a mess, he needs to show he has a rescue plan.

Many of his supporters know he is decisive and can make tough decisions but not a few have begun to wonder whether he has the men to drive the expected change. Nearly every where you turn to there is a manifest absence of the Buhari effect, the Buhari of 1984.

Petroleum subsidy and fuel queues

Many Nigerians prior to the elections were convinced Buhari was the man to take the bull by the horns and scrap fuel subsidy . Strangely the government has retained the fuel subsidy. What is their argument? They want to help the poor. That defies reason. The nation is broke, our economy teeters on the brink of a major depression. Civil servants work but now depend on soothsayers to predict when their salaries will come. If governors now sometimes brag about being able to pay routine salaries, how then do we sustain the luxury of financing the enrichment of middlemen in the name of fuel subsidy? Some governors had the impudence to suggest the slashing of minimum wage.

The federal government cannot ensure steady supply of petrol because the sheer heft of the sums involved is now frightening, national incomes have dwindled. So the government will dilly and dally about paying subsidy claims until the marketers stanch supplies and twist the arms of government with petrol queues. A needless scarcity intrudes into the lives of Nigerians, keeps them idling and withering away at fuel stations where meters dispense 8 litres as 10 litres and then step aside for calculators because fuel prices now change so quickly that meters can’t cope.

In many parts of Nigeria petrol sells for as much as N200 per litre. So much for helping the poor.The government that claims it has no tolerance for wastages will yet pay marketers billions in subsidy? Many international oil traders wonder how the subsidy figures are even arrived at because international prices for refined products are at an all time low. The argument that the removal of subsidy will leave the very poor prostrate even when the subsidy is largely milked by politicians and middlemen is lame. And it leads you to wonder how the government thinks through its policies.

This government that ran on zero tolerance for corruption has awarded fuel import allocations to marketers who had forged papers and defrauded the nation of billions of naira in previous fraudulent subsidy claims. How can this government ignore the report of the presidential committee on subsidy that indicted these marketers? The EFCC engaged in reprehensible selective prosecution of indicted marketers despite an avalanche of hard evidence. How can people who contemplated life in exile because of the skeletons sticking out of their cup boards and pockets be allowed to heave sighs of relief and continue from where they stopped , plundering the economy? Little wonder that the kerosene subsidy fraudulent practices patented by the Jonathan regime have continued like that government still runs the oil industry.

PPMC has remained PPMC. The president’s reputation is being mangled by unscrupulous officials. The NNPC imports all the kerosene sold in the country. It then sells the kerosene at about half its cost to marketers at N40.50k per litre. The marketers are obligated to sell the kerosene to the public at N50 per litre. But because the NNPC and DPR are derelict of their duties and because the subsidy regime in being unenforceable fattens a select few the poor buy kerosene at an average price of 80 naira per litre. So the government naively feeds PPMC officials and marketers and claims its subsidizing kerosene for the poor.

PPMC officials are aware the system is being shortchanged so everybody fends for himself. Any patriotic technocrat conversant with the oil sector, committed to change, would make the removal of fuel subsidy a precondition for accepting to head the NNPC or the petroleum ministry. But technocrats in Nigeria aren’t that principled.

The M.T AL-KHAF Scandal – crude oil theft

A case of suspected crude oil theft was reported to the Chief of Naval staff in a written petition about two months ago . Naval officers who are supposed to be investigating the matter called the petitioner and asked thousands of questions . They received all they needed. And what did they do with them? Practically nothing. A navy Captain was dispatched to Cotonou to verify that the vessel involved which was offshore Cotonou was laden with crude oil stolen from Nigeria and effect an arrest of the vessel . Surprisingly he came back without even as much as getting Cotonou officials to inspect the vessel whose location they were all conversant with.

He said Cotonou authorities denied him co operation. Nothing was heard from the Navy again. You wonder why a vessel reported to be carrying crude oil stolen from Nigeria cannot not be properly investigated? The criminal syndicate involved had bragged that they had everyone on their payroll. When the Navy failed, another petition was sent this time to the president and that petition was delivered to the National Security Adviser who ordered an investigation. The foreign affairs ministry got Nigerian embassy in Cotonou involved.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/why-buharis-public-support-is-fading/
cc:lalasticlala, obinoscopy, ishilove, afam4eva, mynd44,seun
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by biafranqueen: 7:01am On Dec 05, 2015
He has really turned this place to a zoo and he is the head monkey!
#WhyBuhari?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Nobody: 7:03am On Dec 05, 2015
I believe in my president.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Mogidi: 7:06am On Dec 05, 2015
modelmike7:
I believe in my president.

Zombie alert!!!

6 Likes

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by EternalTruths: 7:08am On Dec 05, 2015
We the people of former Eastern Nigeria laugh at the slaves in the south who shouted CHANGE

Welcome to your worst nightmare grin

7 Likes

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by ORACLE1975(m): 7:12am On Dec 05, 2015
Please don't mind the MAN above I beg

Bros why u know take yah drug this morning?

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by kayce0169: 7:13am On Dec 05, 2015
you're a fool

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Demmocrats(m): 7:15am On Dec 05, 2015
My Sai Buhari still love yah

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Nobody: 7:18am On Dec 05, 2015
Demmocrats:
My Sai Buhari still love yah
. . . . . I love him too.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by respect80(m): 7:20am On Dec 05, 2015
Someone help!
the second person to comment needs a new head

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Chubhie: 7:21am On Dec 05, 2015
PMB should be made scapegoat by the masses as a clear message to politicians that never again will they be taken for a ride.

In the words of Rotimi Ameachi--- We steal cos you don't stone Us. The masses should borrow a leaf from this and start lynching em politicians.
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Greatihex(m): 7:37am On Dec 05, 2015
It is just a matter of time b4 nigerians realise wat they have done.
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by DICE234(m): 8:06am On Dec 05, 2015
In conclusion' there is serious Hunger in the country.

Meanwhile;

Imagination is the beginning of creation, are you a good web designer? Remember good design is good business, click my signature to register your services... someone somewhere needs your services.
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by Emekamex(m): 8:14am On Dec 05, 2015
Buhari was never prepared for the seat; his victory took him by surprise.

1 Like

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by sandraokosun1: 9:15am On Dec 05, 2015
Console urselves, elections are over, its natural pmb won, what way do u want to show popularity again, go to the northern states now or any hausa place and ask wheither pmb popularity has diminished. Go to the western states who are firmly dyed in apc and ths government and ask if ths govt has diminished. All in all it takes us to the same 2015 of north/west vs east/south. Who wins again? their would always be variance in some new personal decisions frm both pdp and apc, many voted for pdp mainly becos they saw pmb as going to islamise nigeria according to pdp, apart frm that they belived in him.
People like me voted for pmb only because gej govt was just a eat and clean mouth govt and i would vote him out again and again.

Elections and popularity would always be by block/region vote and nt personal opinon.
If apc supporters start ways of showing it stands with pmb u pdp folks would say apc is now the ruling party and acting like its meant for opposition for ever. Opposition party is who shld worry
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by PRYCE(m): 9:36am On Dec 05, 2015
Za Ku Fada ai!
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by vedaxcool(m): 10:10am On Dec 05, 2015
Jonathan would have surely grounded this country but Buhari came gave us reason to believe in Nigeria. Buhari is 6 months and we are witnessing change.
Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by TechRev: 10:27am On Dec 05, 2015
I have recieved reports that some of my pictures have made way to internet. I here by warn my private photographers to desist from sharing my picture!!

Remember that arrest by DSS is unbailable. There is no court to save you. I am Lord and Master of Nigeria, I am the court!!!

Re: Why Buhari’s Public Support Is Fading by OLADD: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2015
Nobody (not even ardent supporters of PDP) is expecting Nigeria to be comprehensively fixed in six months but Buhari and APC have proved to be utterly unprepared for governance. For a president that spent over a decade contesting for the presidency to exhibit such naive and novice postures raises so much dust about what he and his party really have to offer. Economically, the country is been run on trial-by-error basis without clearcut direction. In the area of security the government is best known for propaganda rather than results. Boko haram is not only expanding its capacity, lives are been lost almost on daily basis but all we hear is the rhetoric of "Boko haram is fighting its last battle". Ironically, Fulani herdsmen seem to be having a field day without single warning from Buhari's presidency. Is this a height of tribalism and the often talked about religious bigotry? If a govt is still in the wilderness eight months post election, what awaits the nation in the remaining 40 months?

(1) (Reply)

What Would You Do If Your Brand New Wife Does This To You(pic) / Reno Omokri Goof On Twitter; Nigerians Reacts (read Tweets) / Nigerian Army Kills 5 Boko Haram Insurgents, Recovers Vehicle & Ammunitions(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.