Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,774 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. (674 Views)

Middle Belt, Northern Minorities Seek 12 Regions, 54 States / Igbos Need To Stop Acting Like Minorities And Play Nigerian Politics / Biafra Referendum Gathers Momentum As Ex-us Congressman Initiate A Move (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by Sweetguy25: 1:07am On Dec 06, 2015
Nigerian minorities are the salt of Nigeria. Hate it or love it, Nigeria would not exist without the minority ethnic nations in the north and south. It is the minorities that are sustaining the economy of the country by sacrificing their lands, resources and future towards the development of Nigeria.

There is a need to celebrate them, appreciate them and grant them the justice they deserve. Unfortunately, most Nigerians do not know about even the most common minority ethnic groups in Nigeria like the Efiks and Ibibios, Ijaws, Urhobos, Idomas, Igala, Tivs etc.

Had it not been that an Ijaw man was president, many Nigerians especially from the west and north wouldn’t have known that there was an ethnic nation called Ijaw. If you ask Nigerians today what ethnicity is the former senate president, (David Mark) most people can’t tell because they have no idea.

We tend to brand any tribe in close proximity to the majority tribes as part of a majority tribe although they are culturally, linguistically and socially different. People in the west think the Ijaws are Igbos, the Igbos think the Tivs and some other minority tribes in the north are Hausa/Fulani and so on.

It is in the wake of this that I propose we have a minority’s day in Nigeria. We get to meet them, learn about them and appreciate them. They deserve it

Special shout out to the Urhobos, Ijaws, Ogonis and Binis.
Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by Nobody: 3:53am On Dec 06, 2015
You people are truly sacrificial....
But your sacrificial is out of cowardice will I say weakness.
You don't even have right over your resources nor your land...
And I didn't even remember when we ask you to sacrifice your own resources.
As someone in jigawa is claiming ownership of bayelsa oil resources..
So calling for a minorities day is kinda a big slap to some other citizen as no one is begging you guys as it is now to lay down your resources...
And I see it thrashed down by responsible citizens as this will only bring ethnic tension thereby heating the heated polity...

Stop asking for special treatment as No one begged you for your sacrificial resources. #fact.

2 Likes

Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by LoveMachine(m): 5:59am On Dec 06, 2015
I was with you until the near end. What did Igala people do wrong?
Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by Sweetguy25: 6:39am On Dec 06, 2015
LoveMachine:
I was with you until the near end. What did Igala people do wrong?

It was a benign joke. Removed
Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by Sweetguy25: 7:53am On Dec 06, 2015
YoundDoctor:
You people are truly sacrificial....
But your sacrificial is out of cowardice will I say weakness.
You don't even have right over your resources nor your land...
And I didn't even remember when we ask you to sacrifice your own resources.
As someone in jigawa is claiming ownership of bayelsa oil resources..
So calling for a minorities day is kinda a big slap to some other citizen as no one is begging you guys as it is now to lay down your resources...
And I see it thrashed down by responsible citizens as this will only bring ethnic tension thereby heating the heated polity...

Stop asking for special treatment as No one begged you for your sacrificial resources. #fact.

That is why they should be celebrated. Besides not all minorities have oil.
Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:09am On Dec 06, 2015
FG can keep the minority day to themselves. All we need is true federalism. With it, all others will fall in place..
Re: A Call For The Government To Initiate A “Nigerian Minorities Day”. by Sweetguy25: 9:32am On Dec 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
FG can keep the minority day to themselves. All we need is true federalism. With it, all others will fall in place..

This is beyond oil.

(1) (Reply)

AFTER ONITSHA MAYHEM: Pro-biafra Activists In Fresh Mobilisation / Army,mopol, Police And Road Safety Officials Now A Cause For Concern In Onitsha / Update: Buhari Receives Members Of The Unity Party Of Nigeria See (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.