Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,372 members, 7,822,749 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC (22813 Views)

Bill Gates Speaks Pidgin English On BBC (Video) / Nigerian Economy Slips Into Recession - BBC / Us/global Stock Market In Pictures. (can Nigeria Survive This?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Rikidony(m): 9:45am On Dec 06, 2015
China emerged from chaos 35 years ago to become perhaps the largest economy in the world. The BBC's Martin Patience - who has just moved from Beijing to Lagos - asks if Nigeria can do the same.

Swapping Asia's giant for Africa's powerhouse can be a disorientating experience.

Leaving Beijing to go and live in Lagos is not a well-worn path.
But both Nigeria and China are the most populous countries and biggest economies in their respective continents, making them ripe for comparison.

I feel I've left behind the grey, imposing order of Beijing for the chaos and colour of Lagos, where fun and frustration are doled out in equal measure.
Part of the correspondent's condition is that your ears prick up at the slightest mention of a previous posting.

Imagine my surprise then when, watching last month's inauguration of the new Nigerian cabinet, a remark about the Great Wall of China cropped up during the opening address.

The point, I believe, that the official was trying to make was that the Great Wall was not in itself enough to protect China from invaders - the government and people need to be incorruptible as well.

I say believe because the audio on the state broadcast briefly cut out.
In China, an audio glitch at such an important event would cause heads to roll in shame. In Nigeria, people roll their eyes and shrug it off.

It is just one small example of how the Chinese are known for getting things done, while in Nigeria there is a reputation for cutting corners.

Whereas Beijing is a city of smog (the killer downside to the country's breakneck development), Lagos is a city of generators (the sound of a nation failing to realise its economic potential because it can't get its power grid in order).

But when it comes to business, Nigeria and China are alike in one inspiring and infectious way.
Both possess an extraordinary entrepreneurial spirit, a can-do-attitude, that if you want to build something you'd better do it yourself.

From street hawkers and small shop owners, to CEOs of large companies, people here survive and, occasionally, flourish despite all the obstacles.
As for a journalist operating in Nigeria, there is one major difference.

In China, people would shut down at the sight of a foreign journalist, silenced by government repression.
In Nigeria, people and politicians don't shut down, they unload.
They talk and talk, and talk some more - they love it.
Everyone seems to have an opinion on everything.
For a journalist this is both a joy and, as I am beginning to discover, a bit of a nightmare.

In China, people and particularly officials said barely anything, so you would spend hours parsing the meaning.
In contrast, in Nigeria you feel you are drowning in information and quotes.
Working out what is actually true can be just as time consuming.

When I talk about China to Nigerians, there is an awe and respect that I have heard in many other developing countries about China's remarkable economic achievements in the past three decades.
And, interestingly, while in China the dizzying pace of change has now left many feeling unfulfilled by their material gains, in Nigeria there is a suffocating sense of people wanting meaningful change.

Nigerians want to see infrastructure built, they want better schools and hospitals, and, perhaps, most importantly, they want jobs to better themselves.
They want a government that will build and not pilfer.

The Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe once wrote that there was nothing basically wrong with the Nigerian character.
The author blamed the country's ills squarely on a failure of leadership.
"The Nigerian problem is the unwillingness or inability of its leaders to rise to the responsibility, to the challenge of the personal example, which are the hallmarks of true leadership," he wrote.

There is now a sense that Nigeria could be at a turning point.
Just as 1979 marked the start of China's economic transformation, many Nigerians hope that 2015 will be the beginning of a new era for their country.

They are placing their faith in the former army general they have elected leader, President Muhammadu Buhari.
With his no-nonsense style, he has already told his countrymen that they are too "unruly" and need to learn how to queue properly.

In a nation where politicians are notorious for plundering state coffers, Mr Buhari has a reputation for unimpeachable honesty and integrity.
People now believe that he will get roads and bridges built (rather than the money being stolen by corrupt officials) which in turn will help get the economy moving.
With almost two million Nigerians entering the job market every year, the country faces a demographic dividend or a demographic disaster.

One man is shouldering the expectations of millions.
But can Mr Buhari pull it off? Evidence might suggest otherwise.
But then remember China.
Thirty-five years ago the country was emerging from the chaos of the Cultural Revolution.

Now, by some estimates, it is the largest economy in the world.
With the right leadership, countries can be transformed.

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34962106

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Ufranklin92(m): 9:48am On Dec 06, 2015
eno concern me,i am for biafra

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by madridguy(m): 9:49am On Dec 06, 2015
With PMB at the driver seat, Yes we can do it.

The poster below me should go for BP check up as soon as possible.

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by permsec: 9:57am On Dec 06, 2015
With Buhari/Adeosun its never possible.

We are in for a long thing!!

The poster above me doesnt know that Buhari is like a 5year old kid with keys to a jet.

105 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Rikidony(m): 10:02am On Dec 06, 2015
just back from a four days ban, but I will never relent in saying the truth.

I think with good governance we can make, We are still a young democracy with time things will change.

lalasticlala

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Khd95(m): 10:15am On Dec 06, 2015
Not with these crop of leaders and youth

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by lasisi69(f): 10:35am On Dec 06, 2015
End time question

3 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 06, 2015
How can you bring back your ancestors to rule you with his ancient methods stifling the open economy and practices voodoo outdated politics and you want to develop? Much as we wish it to be possible, the grim reality is clear. It's not possible.

Whilst Buhari might feign to fight corruption by going after perceived enemies and making media allegations around, when it comes to economy management, his stark illiteracy shows. And no matter how his PR team tries to polish his actions, it's glaring that Nigeria is looking down the barrels of a gun.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by kachnov(m): 10:35am On Dec 06, 2015
We need to learn from the Germans(effectiveness and efficiency ) ...

5 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by timilehing(m): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2015
Impossibru

5 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by coolexy2: 10:36am On Dec 06, 2015
Nigeria ll........
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by hertheytheydgee(m): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2015
Rhetorical question!

BUSTED GENERATION

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Adatob(m): 10:36am On Dec 06, 2015
Not with all these old people running the government unless the 'leaders of tommorow' start running d government

4 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by toyo6ix(m): 10:37am On Dec 06, 2015
Nooo.. Can someone guess where buhari will be tomorrow.. 6ix

4 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by acunon: 10:37am On Dec 06, 2015
Not possible, even in the next 30 years.

6 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
[b] it is possible if only we have good followers. The elites understand Nigeria's problem and they are comfortably playing with our heads. Our problem is not corruption...our problem is that the Nigerian citizens are sick. ALL of them..all of us. We are all suffering from Amnesia.. that is the main problem. We make noise for a day or two and we move on like nothing happened. We don't have leadership problem, we have followership problem.

At the inauguration of the eight assembly, we made noise as usual for a few days about their salaries and allowances and suddenly, we went quiet again.
I recall with nostalgia during GEJ Era, how Nigerians screamed about the subsidy scam (otedola and Lawan), maina and pension scam, police fund scam, Halliburton scam and many others. But as usual the noise lasted a few days and then gross silence...

NIGERIA needs good followers...followers who will not only ask questions but also sustain the questions until answers are provided. Followers who understand their rights and duty as Citizens. Followers who know they can recall their senators if they are not well represented.....

Good followers, make good leader tomorrow and it's only with good and resilient followers that corruption can be properly dealt with
[/b]

72 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by coldsummer: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
Yea we can and we will when it becomes compulsory that corrupt government officials must serve life in jail or be executed.

When you face harsh punishment for vandalism.

When business operate according to laid down standard operating rules.

When consumer protection is active.

When standardisation rules is in place.

When political office holders are made to know that they are there to serve the nation and the citizens. And not to mop out the nation's purse.

When police force are made to see citizens as human beings and not atm machines.

When our army sees that their strength a.d honour lies in protecting the nation and not brutalising citizens over petty things.

Then we shall move forward and be great

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by frodobee: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
Frodobee :

See them ^^^, they chose to be changed, and refused to be transformed.

OP forget the gospel we are waiting for the change
Transformation time has passed.
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by iceberylin(m): 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
Not with Nigerians .....
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by chimah3(m): 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
No!
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
I have my doubts sha, I can't see any light ahead...it's all dark and gloomy.. Nigeria is a sinking ship, the sooner you jump out of it the better, or you end up sinking with it. Deep down am still hoping for the best though expecting the worst. Deep down I still hope for the day I will be proud to bring out my Nigerian passport on the street of London..

10 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Engineer123(m): 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
yes, when the youths start telling the truth irrespective of religion, ethnic and region.
the reasons we lack behind is the youths supporting the corrupt politicians.
With government policies, Nigeria will replicate China Economic transformation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by TheMainMan: 10:38am On Dec 06, 2015
lasisi69:
End time question
.. U need endtime brain.. undecided..

3 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Lobolintin(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
This women dey Lekki or Banana island, abeg make she go to Ipaja Ayobo, or Ejigbo and mushin, then she go know say Lagos need Urban renewal at a rapid rate before. They can attain such heights of Beijing ....

And moreover she said they truth, in naija we all talk too mucj... Even my two years old niece knows about rising rate of pamapers thereby making her wear normal pampares instead of Huggies... Hqhqhhahqhq,

Abeg, naija will be better when Sahara reporter can stop exposing politician they see as treat to them, rather exposie them without daring them always, as for me and myself, I won't stop saying this present govt is What efcc is all about, ........Macs, ....rewrite this from tight to left,

Anything you find nh u talk am oooo

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Isryl02(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
And you are too smart? undecided

eaglechild:
Not with Buhari
He is too dull.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
Nigeria will be great someday

4 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by goodlifehyd(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
Been on fp before
Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by adjoviomole(m): 10:39am On Dec 06, 2015
Yes its possible,but it depends on u and I. D change shld start from u and I,waitn for d govmnt is nt d ansa. D govmnt don't care about us.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Replicate China's Economic Transformation? - BBC by eaglechild: 10:40am On Dec 06, 2015
Not with Buhari
He is too dull.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Prices Are Still On The Rise Despite Appreciation Of The Naira / List Of Genuine Online Paid Surveys Sites To Earn Some Extra Money / UPDATED: How To Make $900 Online Monthly. Get In Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.