Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,207 members, 7,846,007 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Writing Your CV Yourself VS Getting Professional Help. See Opinions Of Others. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Writing Your CV Yourself VS Getting Professional Help. See Opinions Of Others. (540 Views)

This Is Urgent, Send Your CV IF Qualified / 5 Things You Absolutely Must Include On Your CV / How To Write CV If You Have No Work Experience - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Writing Your CV Yourself VS Getting Professional Help. See Opinions Of Others. by databoy247(m): 9:05am On Dec 07, 2015
Recently I was going through some opinion polls and discussion sessions online about resume writing and the need to outsource writing your CV to a professional.

I have come across the question so many times "why do I need someone to help me write my resume?". Below are global thoughts and opinions from people. And in case you do not know, resume writing services exists around the world.

[b]"I have paid $50 for someone to rewrite my resume. I had been using a resume created 6 years ago, but with updated job titles. The resume service shifted around sections, modified verbs so they sounded more active than passive, and created a transition between sections. I had had friends review my old resume, but it took someone who didn't know me to ask: "but what did you do here" or "how much positive change came out of this". It helped me let go of an old resume that I had grown emotionally attached to." - Jenab Troast (Texas US).

"I paid for CV Writing from a company called dubai-forever.com. They specialize in customizing International resumes according to Middle East standards. They delivered quite on time and am happy with the results, since I got the job I was looking for in Dubai, UAE. I received personal attention too, as they are a small firm."- (Jacalyn, Mumbai)

"Resumes are DEAD!!! And if they aren't, we should get rid of them! People spend a lot of time creating a quality resume only to have it barely glanced at. Resume = too much work for too little pay off." - Charlie.

"Your are absolutely correct about applicant tracking systems. Most large organizations are employing ATS to deal with the crush of resumes they receive (this is why it is so critical to target your resume toward each specific positon). But those applicant tracking systems need something to scan, and that something is still commonly candidates' resumes. Even in the case where a company does not accept resumes (which is fairly uncommon), the content of your resume can be repurposed for the application process. Then, when you are asked in for an interview, you can bring your actual resume. All of that is to say that, while the landscape is certainly evolving, the resume still plays a critical role in the job search and hiring process." - unknown

"The successful resume is very easy to read, quickly communicates the most highly critical information, has a strong summary section filled with hard skills (as opposed to soft skills like "team player" and "excellent verbal and written communication"wink, backs up every claim made with concrete, specific, results-oriented examples and accomplishments in the experience section, and contains information which is highly relevant to the specific position and company it's being used for.

A good resume must pass inspection with everyone who touches it, including the administrative assistant who receives it (who sometimes alerts managers to exceptional incoming candidates), the Applicant Tracking System searching for keywords, and the hiring decision-makers.

The essence of a superior resume all boils down to one thing: Above all else, remember that your resume needs to be heavily focused on what you can do for your employer, and how you can do it better than the many, many other applicants competing for the same position you're applying for. Every word, every phrase, every formatting decision, every creative design and marketing principle you employ, should retain the reader's focus on this one, constant message." - Ellen Hall

"Hired a writer from Resume Professional Writers too, and got two interviews within a quarter. Anyway, I was just about to say that the resume writers are not the biggest problem in getting a job. It's the hiring process of the employers. I suspect that some of them don't read my resume at all.

But if I'm gonna give advice to those considering hiring an online resume writer here it is: always call the company. You'll only have a hunch on their value after you actually hear them talk." - Neil Chicago.[/b]

The question now is: Is it really worth it sitting down crafting resumes when it is assumed that employers do not really read our resumes? Is it worth it hiring a professional resume writer crafting your CV even with the 50% probability that employers may still not read that expensively crafted CV?

In writing our CVs, what are we actually doing wrong? Lets discuss. What is your opinion?

(1) (Reply)

Hotel In Benin City / Arnergy Recruiting Experienced Telecom Engineer(bts, MW,TX ) As Solar Installers / Please Help Me,i Need Where To Stay My Internship Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.