Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website (3741 Views)

Promo!!!! Website Script For Sale At Lower Price / HIT Xmas Promo. Website @half Price / Union Bank Loses Two Billion Naira To Fraudsters...EFCC Steps In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 11:10am On Jun 01, 2009
More than likely, at least 1 of 3 things happened here:

1) The clients went for the cheapest alternative, the cheapest in this case, not necessarily being the best.

2) The clients didn't vet the developers well enough to know their skill sets/know what they would be doing on the site.

3) The developers in question didn't bother doing a complete "sanity" test to check for "leaks". On the other side of the coin, the clients didn't (either by omission or commission) demand for one either.

4) There was little or no overall testing of the site prior to launch. Again, the clients didn't (either by omission or commission) demand for one either.

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/head/article01

Fraudsters have broken into the Glo promo website with the aim of securing details of ATM numbers and PIN of unsuspecting public to clone, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

According to a NAN investigation, following a text message received at dawn on Sunday, it was found that the cyber criminals may have hacked into the Glo website to mislead subscribers into believing that they have won prizes in the promo.

``You have been granted N1 million in the Glo latest promo, visit www.glopromo.net for online verification'', the text message received by a subscriber at 3.39 a.m. on Sunday had read.

NAN reports that as soon as the subscriber tried to visit the promo website, he was migrated to a different web address "gloverif".

From there he was directed to enter his phone number for verification.

A scrolling message that says "promo winners!, enter your mobile phone number below to verify your winning,'' then follows.

The scrolling message exclaims: ``Congratulation!'' It then appears on the screen and the subscriber was told he has won N1 million and a Kia car.

But if the phone number entered was wrong, a message will read: ``Incorrect promo winner phone number'' on the screen.

However, NAN found that any Glo number entered twice in the space provided for verification of winners would be returned as a winning number after the second trial even if no text message was initially received and the subscriber can then go on to complete the "winners' form".

The form to be completed by ``winners`` contain their personal information, names, address, phone number, account name, bank and type of account, savings or current, the type of information needed to transact business using the ATM.

The second part of the form requires them to enter their names, banks, ATM numbers and PIN, requirements that should make the vigilant subscriber suspicious because Glo need not demand for ATM number and PIN before disbursing winnings.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by abhosts(m): 12:43pm On Jun 01, 2009
@Yawa,

I don't think you understand what you are talking about.

There is no such thing as a Glo Promo site. The site has been suspended by the web host, so it obviously belongs to the fraudsters and not GLO.

But honestly speaking, why should a Nigerian web hosting company even agree to put up such a domain in the first place? It has scam written all over it.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by biggjoe(m): 2:39pm On Jun 01, 2009
why is it so hard for people to realize the companies dont use a different website for their promos.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 2:56pm On Jun 01, 2009
see as person dey take look for trouble o  cool

abhosts,

Am I the one who doesn't understand what I am talking about or is it the reporter who put it up at the url quoted above?  did you bother reading the whole thing?  Is it possible that in response to the attacks/violation of the web host's terms and conditions, that the site was pulled down?  Shouldn't you be directing this insult at the person who source (independent newspaper online)?

Even if I am wrong, the lessons learned (which is what you should focus on) still apply. I only posted this so that we could all learn, with respect to how a web project should be properly run to ensure quality work/delivery.

Again, see as person dey look for person trouble this early in the week. Naaaaijjjaaaa: Some of us are always quick to jump the gun 
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by abhosts(m): 3:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
Sorry, if i came across as offensive. Companies in Nigeria do not use separate websites to run promos. So it is obvious that the reporter does not know what he talking about. He has just made his company a potential lawsuit target.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 3:42pm On Jun 01, 2009
I wouldn't say u were offensive to me but that you didn't read *every single line of the post*.  If you did, you would have realized that I was simply pasting a news article. Also, I think you are painting with a broad brush when you say what you say about Nigerian companies and promo sites - is this by some kind of edict? can't a company decide to buck the trend? Are you aware of every single corporation in Nigeria that is running an online promo? I am not saying I am right and you are wrong (or vice versa). I am just throwing these questions out there.

From my posts on here, I am sure you realize that I have pretty tough skin and can defend my own, anytime, anyday wink

Next time, just read a post in full before posting, that's all  cool
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by biggjoe(m): 4:14pm On Jun 01, 2009
@yawa,

I wish to ask without being offensive either: is the first 5 lines of your initial post from the news source?

If they are not then, I think that by those first five lines, you created the impression that you believe the clone website belongs to GLO.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2009
i doubt if that glopromo.net is actually a glo website.

@abhost, you cant blame a hosting company for that.
They could register a domain with say Godaddy and point it to their servers right inside Cpanel.
the hosting company does not have to know.

I think the hosting company has taken the right step.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 5:43pm On Jun 01, 2009
biggjoe,

To answer your question, no and I think it's more than 5 lines tongue

On a serious note, I will partially (I am thinking maybe 20 or so percent) give your argument to you based on impression. Having said that, you can't blame me for going by what I see in the news. I assume that those guys have an editor who verifies any news that they publish. For not doing so, I think they should be alerted and at least someone needs to be queried over it for misleading the public.

Having said that, I still stand by my 2nd post which in effect focuses on "lessons learned". In other words, even if this is false (and no one has been able to *factually* convince me otherwise), this could have still been a hypothetical situation where the question asked is, 'what if?' and possible solutions (like that I have stated above) could apply, with respect to what to do and not do when it comes to developing a website.

sledjama,
I agree with you 100%. I guess you put it better than I could have wink

Thanks.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by oracleMAT: 6:41pm On Jun 01, 2009
The scourge of online fraudsters is really giving us a bad name, really it was all fun and games when nigerians were duping foreigners but now, is personal.

http://nspace.nigeria.com/main/news/glo-alerts-new-fake-promo-website-punch

This link shows that Glo does not have a promo website, rather, the fraudsters mimic the look and feel of glo corporate website.

I read through all your posts and even though you mean well, I couldn't get anybody who mentioned glo corporate website. Well, for information, it's www.gloworld.com any other site are hosted by web squatters and fraudsters.

Rule your world.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 6:46pm On Jun 01, 2009
oracle,

I will take your word for it and thank you for the *factual* proof. As far as the official site goes, na so basket mouth don make money? c as im fat grin
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by oracleMAT: 6:50pm On Jun 01, 2009
Yawa-ti-de,

It goes to show how a name can go real far!! He called himself BASKETMOUTH, you go blame am?Na the mouth him use chop up come fat like that.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by remoranger(m): 7:30pm On Jun 01, 2009
When Web Developers turn lawyers. shocked shocked
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 7:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
remo,

I would rather it that way than a lawyer turn web developer.  Can you imagine the oral arguments that would take place before a lawyer would put fingers to keyboard.  I can just see one scenario right now, "Sir, there is precedent for why I have the logo the way it is.  In Tompolo vs remoranger in 1965, it was determined that there was no factual basis for it being at the bottom"

God help us all  tongue
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by remoranger(m): 7:59pm On Jun 01, 2009
yup. remo was going along with his lawful web design business offending no one, and all of a sudden yawa-ti-de came up with the unprecedented allegation that his website sucks and she was staunchly aided and abetted by koborgunje, according to the forum supremacy case of nairaland vs in---
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by oracleMAT: 9:05am On Jun 02, 2009
Peeps,
I need a list of all the fraudulent glo websites there are, I already have a few addresses, viz:

www.glorocknrule.net
www.gloprize.t35.com
www.glomobileng.com
www.glowinner.com
www.glowinner2009.com
www.online.glopromo.org

I need as many as you have confirmed exists. It's so pissing that we nigerians always like to bring our own down. In the telecom world Globacom is breaking frontiers and yet some assholes just keep burying us for nickles and dimes. ain't you all tired?
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 02, 2009
anyway, if you want them, just leave ur addresses on almost every forum on the internet, blogs work too
then set up an email filtering system, that filters every mail which contains the word globacom to a specific folder.

Trust me, you will get more than u bargained for.
I have a tiny app written in python, It does something similar to what 419eaters does.
it make life miserable for these guys. I just have a passion for fighting these guys.
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:19pm On Jun 03, 2009
i think we need a different, more effective approach to frustrating 419ner sites

these guys need a little over 5k to host a domain and under 10k to pay the designer (since economy for us types hard these days.)

they will spew out 5 sites hoping to grab the most mugus for the duration the site is up.

we need a different approach
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by yawatide(f): 5:11pm On Jun 03, 2009
larger,

and what do you propose for starters? wink
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:19pm On Jun 03, 2009
will get back to you on that with a full case for 419ner sites bill
Re: Fraudsters Break Into Glo Promo Website by oracleMAT: 10:54am On Jun 04, 2009
Sledjama,

U r the boss man, am gearing up to bash these haters like HELL!!thanks for the tip though quite cumbersome. Thing is the guys are ingeniuos but they can only think shortcuts. country hard and man must chop but what ever happened to honest WORK??
I need amunition to blast 'em high. Tough luck yeah? but a brother got to have his own war,don't ya think? After all, JTF went to war on MEND, don't blame me for the bloodlust. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Dhtml Datagrid Control :: Jquery Integration :: Cms Support / Do Wordpress Offer Hosting Service? / How To Get Backlinks For Your Blog By Commenting On Other Blogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.