Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,140 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? (4917 Views)

Yorubas Are Ready To Break Away From Nigeria- Elder Statesman Adebanjo / We’ll Break-away With Every Part Of Biafra; IPOB Tells Buhari / Why Exactly Was GEJ Voted Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 1:47pm On Dec 07, 2015
This may sound like a dumb question, but I really want to know; why exactly do igbo people want to break away from Nigeria?

I am asking this because the current agitator for Biafra, Nnandi Kanu, in most of his interviews is always saying that the North can't keep on enjoying their oil. And this makes me think...Is the oil for the South Easterners or for the South South people? I have asked a lot of my friends from the south south (both online and offline) and none of them is interested in leaving Nigeria and being a part of a predominantly igbo speaking Biafra.

Another reason Nnadi Kanu always gives is that Hausa/Fulani are killing Igbo people. I don't know how true that is. All I know is Boko Haram, a terror group in Northern part of Nigeria has been killing NIGERIANS of all tribes and religions.

My argument is...since Igbo people always say they are the most hardworking people in Nigeria (I think this is somewhat true, as I sold CDs and DVDs for about 8 years at a point, and the hustling spirit of igbo people in Alaba always marveled me), then why do they clamor so much for position in the government of the zoo? We all know that even if Fashola becomes the president tomorrow, it won't automatically better my life as a Yoruba man. Most politicians care solely about themselves. So, why can't Igbo people stay with Nigeria, and make their millions from all part of Nigeria as they have always done? If they break free, will they also leave all the parts of the Zoo they have their businesses in?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by calaway: 1:53pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:
This may sound like a dumb question, but I really want to know; why exactly do igbo people want to break away from Nigeria?

I am asking this because the current agitator for Biafra, Nnandi Kanu, in most of his interviews is always saying that the North can't keep on enjoying their oil. And this makes me think...Is the oil for the South Easterners or for the South South people? I have asked a lot of my friends from the south south (both online and offline) and none of them is interested in leaving Nigeria, and being a part of a predominantly igbo speaking Biafra.

Another reason Nnadi Kanu always gives is that Hausa/Fulani are killing Igbo people. I don't know how true that is. All I know is Boko Haram, a terror group in Northern part of Nigeria has been killing NIGERIANS all tribes and religions.

My argument is...since Igbo people always say they are the most hardworking people in Nigeria (I think this is somewhat true, as I sold CDs and DVDs for about 8 years at a point, and the hustling spirit of igbo people in Alaba always marveled me), they why do you clamor so much position in the government of the zoo? We all know that even if Fashola becomes a president tomorrow, it won't automatically better my life as a Yoruba man. Most politicians care solely about themselves. So, why can't Igbo people stay with Nigeria, and make their millions from all part of Nigeria as they have always done? If they break free, will they also leave all the parts of the Zoo they have their businesses in?

REASONS LIKE CUTOFF POINT FOR IGBO SCHOOL CHILDREN

http://server1.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smxlxnfxqe/spqr/p1/2786668/buharis-men-shut-ibeto-cement#40773779

8 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 1:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
calaway:

REASONS LIKE CUTOFF POINT FOR IGBO SCHOOL CHILDREN

http://server1.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/sruj/smxlxnfxqe/spqr/p1/2786668/buharis-men-shut-ibeto-cement#40773779

What about it? Break it down. I don't understand.
Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Duru1(m): 1:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

I am asking this because the current agitator for Biafra, Nnandi Kanu, in most of his interviews is always saying that the North can't keep on enjoying their oil. And this makes me think...Is the oil for the South Easterners or for the South South people? I have asked a lot of my friends from the south south (both online and offline) and none of them is interested in leaving Nigeria and being a part of a predominantly igbo speaking Biafra.

Another reason Nnadi Kanu always gives is that Hausa/Fulani are killing Igbo people. I don't know how true that is. All I know is Boko Haram, a terror group in Northern part of Nigeria has been killing NIGERIANS of all tribes and religions.

My argument is...since Igbo people always say they are the most hardworking people in Nigeria (I think this is somewhat true, as I sold CDs and DVDs for about 8 years at a point, and the hustling spirit of igbo people in Alaba always marveled me), then why do they clamor so much for position in the government of the zoo? We all know that even if Fashola becomes the president tomorrow, it won't automatically better my life as a Yoruba man. Most politicians care solely about themselves. So, why can't Igbo people stay with Nigeria, and make their millions from all part of Nigeria as they have always done? If they break free, will they also leave all the parts of the Zoo they have their businesses in?

Nigeria cannot manage a gutter!!!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Dec 07, 2015
Because we don't want to be in the same country with the almajiris from the west and North

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 1:59pm On Dec 07, 2015
googlepikin:
Because we don't want to be in the same country with the almajiris from the west and North

Okay. Cool. Is this a unanimous decision? Cos I have noticed that a lot of rich Igbo people are not concerned about Biafra. It has to be at least 60% of people of Igbo land wanting to leave...not just a small portion of the people.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Cholls(m): 2:02pm On Dec 07, 2015
My brother i will tell you. It's because they SAID they are the richest in nigeria.
Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

Okay. Cool. Is this a unanimous decision? Cos I have noticed that a lot of rich Igbo people are not concerned about Biafra. It has to be at least 60% of people of Igbo land wanting to leave...not just a small portion of the people.
don't worry , you will know their heart when the time comes. Every average Igbo person knows how far whether billionaire or millionaire s . Nigeria claimed they killed 3m of our fore fathers, and you think those billionaire and millionaires don't know? Even if you kill 20m of us. Just give us another 10years our children will rise up fast like nothing happened

13 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by calaway: 2:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

What about it? Break it down. I don't understand.
HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOUR CHILD HAS TO SCORE THREE TIMES THE GRADES OF OTHER CHILDREN IN HIS CLASS TAUGHT BY THE TEACHERS UNDER THE SAME CONDITION TO GET ADMITTED INTO GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS UPTO EMPLOYMENT. THIS INSTITUTIONALIZED CORRUPTION AND MARGINALIZATION IS CALLED CUTOFF POINT OR QUOTA SYSTEM.

THE LINK I PASTED TAKES YOU ALSO TO A REAL LIFE MARGINALIZATION REVELATION, THESE TYPE OF SCENARIO IS VERY REAL AND ALIVE AGAINST THE IGBOS WHO S REGION HAVE PRODUCE OIL THAT RUNS THIS SOCIETY.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kenny987(f): 2:06pm On Dec 07, 2015
U have already answered by acknowledging that it is a dumb question.

U seriously think a hard working person or group of people should have no say or equal representation in the policy making and governance apparatus of d country in which he works hard?

Yes, the oil belongs to the region where it is found and they ought to exercise full control of it while trading of on their terms cos it is a source of income which they should deploy to their benefits. No unconnected person should be able to commandeer it and then say 'the oil in Bayelsa belongs to Jigawa'.

Are the food,cattle and precious metals like gold found in the North deemed property of d entire Nigeria? Do they not sell and consume income as they deem fit while destroying the farmlands of others?

I will now ask u,is there a right to self-determination? Even where all is fine and jolly and a people of identifiable language, culture and character within a geographical area decide that they no longer want to be joined with others is there an offence in there somewhere?

See as u said,the question is dumb. I will not extend d dumbness to ur person just yet even though the justifications for the question are also dumb.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:11pm On Dec 07, 2015
calaway:

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOUR CHILD HAS TO SCORE THREE TIMES THE GRADES OF OTHER CHILDREN IN HIS CLASS TAUGHT BY THE TEACHERS UNDER THE SAME CONDITION TO GET ADMITTED INTO GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS UPTO EMPLOYMENT. THIS INSTITUTIONALIZED CORRUPTION AND MARGINALIZATION IS CALLED CUTOFF POINT OR QUOTA SYSTEM.

THE LINK I PASTED TAKES YOU ALSO TO A REAL LIFE MARGINALIZATION REVELATION, THESE TYPE OF SCENARIO IS VERY REAL AND ALIVE AGAINST THE IGBOS WHO S REGION HAVE PRODUCE OIL THAT RUNS THIS SOCIETY.

First of all, Igbo people don't produce the Oil that runs the nation, you guys need to stop saying that. South south people produce the oil...And they sure don't speak the Igbo language, so how would they go with you guys? Secondly, Yoruba people also have to score higher in cutoff point just as igbo children...And this is because the northern children are a bit behind when it comes to general educational level.

5 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:16pm On Dec 07, 2015
Why do Igbo people keep saying northerners are enjoying 'their oil?' It is not your oil. Is Bayelsa, or Rivers, or Delta an igbo speaking state?

3 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

First of all, Igbo people don't produce the Oil that runs the nation, you guys need to stop saying that. South south people produce the oil...And they sure don't speak the Igbo language, so how would they go with you guys? Secondly, Yoruba people also have to score higher in cutoff point just as igbo children...And this is because the northern children are a bit behind when it comes to general educational level.
Now this is the most fallacious comment on the cyberspace. Who the hell are the supposed people south south and what the fvck is Niger Delta? Do not be deceived, Google and research the lands where oil are being milked from Nigeria and the peoples that owned it.

6 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:
Why do Igbo people keep saying northerners are enjoying 'their oil?' It is not your oil. Is Bayelsa, or Rivers, or Delta an igbo speaking state?
Google the ethnicity that made up those States, please.

Coming to education part....someone should tell the op the JAMB and unity college cutoff mark of Igbos.

6 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by calaway: 2:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

AS MUCH AS YOU MAY HATE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACTS THEY WILL REMAIN FACTS. EDUCATION CAN BE ILLUMINATING. USE GOOGLE WHERE IN DOUBT. UKWA EAST AND UKWA WEST IN ABIA STATE HAS BEEN PRODUCING OIL SINCE 1973 FROM THE MOBILE OPERATED WELLS LONG BEFORE THE OFF SHORE POTS WHERE EXPLOITED. OIL IN IMO STATE HAS BEEN EXPLOITED SINCE THE LATE 70 S AND THE LARGEST ONSHORE OIL RESERVE IN WEST AFRICA RESIDES IN IMO STATE. AS PER CUTOFF MATTER THE IGBO CHILD IS EXPECTED TO SCORE WAY ABOVE THE OTHER CHILDREN FACT.
INJUSTICE IS INJUSTICE. EVEN YOU BELOVED SS DOES NOT LIKE THE DEAL IT GETS IN THE OIL FORMULA AND MATTERS, THE WELLS ARE OWNED BY HAUSA AND THE MULTINATIONALS THAT OPERATE THESE WELLS ARE HEADED BY YORUBAS AND HAVE THEIR HEAD OFFICES AND ALLIED SERVICES AND PAY TAXES IN YORUBA LAND.

ONLY A DAY OF TRUTH DESTROYS A THOUSAND YEARS OF LIES AND INJUSTICE.

12 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by zicoraads: 2:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
what does it cost to be loved and left alone? That is the question in a poem. They dont want the marriage anymore why force them to remain in it? if this country is run by the food crops pf the North or the cocoa of the West, what do you think wil be the fate of the South South/ South East?

4 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:25pm On Dec 07, 2015
LadyFiona:
Now this is the most fallacious comment on the cyberspace. Who the hell are the supposed people south south and what the fvck is Niger Delta? Do not be deceived, Google and research the lands where oil are being milked from Nigeria and the peoples that owned it.

I see you have been brainwashed by that Kanu guy.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by SurefireAsoOke: 2:27pm On Dec 07, 2015
The oil they are talkin abt is also in the west and some state in the middlle belt. Thesame oil that pollutes their farmland. I just pity their Fate if they finally have their way.
#MY_OPINION

For Aso-Oke, Check my signature
Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kenny987(f): 2:28pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

U can actually justify the lopsided marks for children? That attend same schools with d same curriculum? U say they are 'a bit' behind? Yet they come up to occupy major positions that those who aren't so behind are suddenly not capable of? Do the scores of 139 for Anambra and 4 for Zamfara(Male)/2 (Female) look like the range for 'a bit' of backwardness?
It is not only ur question that is dumb...

13 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
calaway:

AS MUCH AS YOU MAY HATE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACTS THEY WILL REMAIN FACTS. EDUCATION CAN BE ILLUMINATING. USE GOOGLE WHERE IN DOUBT. UKWA EAST AND UKWA WEST IN ABIA STATE HAS BEEN PRODUCING OIL SINCE 1973 FROM THE MOBILE OPERATED WELLS LONG BEFORE THE OFF SHORE POTS WHERE EXPLOITED. OIL IN IMO STATE HAS BEEN EXPLOITED SINCE THE LATE 70 S AND THE LARGEST ONSHORE OIL RESERVE IN WEST AFRICA RESIDES IN IMO STATE. AS PER CUTOFF MATTER THE IGBO CHILD IS EXPECTED TO SCORE WAY ABOVE THE OTHER CHILDREN FACT.
INJUSTICE IS INJUSTICE. EVEN YOU BELOVED SS DOES NOT LIKE THE DEAL IT GETS IN THE OIL FORMULA AND MATTERS, THE WELLS ARE OWNED BY HAUSA AND THE MULTINATIONALS THAT OPERATE THESE WELLS ARE HEADED BY YORUBAS AND HAVE THEIR HEAD OFFICES AND ALLIED SERVICES AND PAY TAXES IN YORUBA LAND.

ONLY A DAY OF TRUTH DESTROYS A THOUSAND YEARS OF LIES AND INJUSTICE.

Blah Blah! We are talking about where the majority of the oil exported comes from, not the minute amount that comes from Imo and Abia. I can as well say the Hausa's are using my oil from Ondo state to better their lives. I am 100% behind the fight of the Niger Delta people for how unfairly they are treated because by the government even though their land gives us majority of our exporting commodity, and they suffer on top of that from oil spillage...But Igbo people should please come up with a better argument.

4 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
kenny987:

U can actually justify the lopsided marks for children? That attend same schools with d same curriculum? U say they are 'a bit' behind? Yet they come up to occupy major positions that those who aren't so behind are suddenly not capable of? Do the scores of 140 for Anambra and 4 for Kebbi look like the range for 'a bit' of backwardness?
It is not only ur question that is dumb...

You are a dumb girl that has to resort to abuse to prove a point. I can see why some people don't like your people. Very proud and cocky.

2 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Duru1(m): 2:32pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

One of the reasons is that Biafrans do not want to associate with people who claimed to produce crude oil. As you have allegedly posited, Igbo people produce palm oil and it is enough for us. Crude Oil has destroyed Nigeria forever.

11 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kenny987(f): 2:36pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

You are a dumb girl that has to resort to abuse to prove a point. I can see why some people don't like your people. Very proud and cocky.

Where is the abuse in my post? U acknowledged that ur question might be a dumb one in ur op...
I have not even insulted u and here u are calling ur ppl dumb.

Still for d sake of this 'discourse' how can u justify those cut off marks? What is the pride? That u were shown up for ur fallacious assertions? Leave drama and sentiments and address issues raised since u are asking why Biafrans want out of Nigeria and u have profered ur arguments against it.

6 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

Do not come at me boy. Your nightmare has nothing to do with obvious reality.

2 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Duru1(m): 2:37pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

Blah Blah! We are talking about where the majority of the oil exported comes from, not the minute amount that comes from Imo and Abia. I can as well say the Hausa's are using my oil from Ondo state to better their lives. I am 100% behind the fight of the Niger Delta people for how unfairly they are treated because by the government even though their land gives us majority of our exporting commodity, and they suffer on top of that from oil spillage...But Igbo people should please come up with a better argument.

Must a country be endowed with crude oil in order to progress. I had rather have Biafra patterned toward Japan without a grain of crude oil than to moronic Nigeria with tons of barrels of crude oil. It is silly to inject the down fall of Nigeria, which is crude oil, into academic debate. Anybody who does that is an irredeemable dunce.

11 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kingzizzy: 2:39pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

I don't think it is possible to brainwash any body about the need to be free

3 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
Duru1:

Must a country be endowed with crude oil in order to progress. I had rather have Biafra patterned toward Japan without a grain of crude oil than to moronic Nigeria with tons of barrels of crude oil. It is silly to inject the down fall of Nigeria, which is crude oil, into academic debate. Anybody that does that is a irredeemable dunce.

I never said a country must be endowed with crude oil...I was just asking why most igbo people keep saying Northerners are using THEIR OIL. That's all. I hardly hear Niger Delta people saying that.

1 Like

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by explorer250(m): 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

why did obj fustrate ibeto? Why is pmb fustrating ibeto? Have you heard of the call between farouk and kunle

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

You are shifting ground now to where the majority of the oil is being produced. Wth. Let's go there.
Igbos are not going to argue with you on why they wants to leave this contraption it is left between the Igbos and UN not a mere nonentity. Hausa's are using your Ondo oil and you don't care but we do and want out because of it and many more.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by calaway: 2:41pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

WHY ARE YOU TRAPPED IN SELF DENIAL? THE SOUTH EAST INCLUDING ANAMBRA TURNOUT 500,000BPD YES THIS IS SMALL COMPARED TO THE REMAINDER 2000000 BUT THE FACT IS 500,000x40USD=USD20m= 5 TRILLION EVERY DAY. YET THOSE WHO GENERATE THIS ARE MARGINALIZED AND CALLED AN IRRELEVANT 5% AND A PARASITE OVERLORD OF A REGIONAL CHAMPION. NEED I REMIND YOU THAT THE IJAWS IN ONDO OWN THE OIL YOU BOAST OF AND SOON THEY WILL BE ALIVE TO THEIR DESTINY.

INJUSTICE MUST COME TO AN END. IT IS A NATURAL LAW.

8 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by Duru1(m): 2:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
kayo80:

I never said a country must be endowed with crude oil...I was just asking why most igbo people keep saying Northerners are using THEIR OIL. That's all. I hardly hear Niger Delta people saying that.

Ndiigbo are not interested in your crude oil or lack thereof. Ndiigbo want their freedom and do not want compatriots who have animalistic intellect. In fact, it should be the good reason Biafra should be let go because they do not produce crude oil. Per the bolded, I do know who are Niger Delta people in Nigeria. Nigerians have the knack to show blurred intelligence in academic exercise.

4 Likes

Re: Why Exactly Do Igbo People Want To Break Away From Nigeria? by cjrane: 2:48pm On Dec 07, 2015
Typically, it is better to ignore such obvious questions. but for the sake of civility i will ask op to look at Nigeria and tell me if he will tolerate what has been inflicted on the SE and SS hiding under the guise of Nigeria?

Not just that their resources are annexed and usefvexclusively for the development of the north and southwest. They ate subjected to horrible Discrimination, injustices where their businesses are targeted and destroyed, exclusion,marginalization and deliberate attempt to inflict economic woes on the people simply because they had voted for thei choice candidate.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

More Pics: Massive Crowd As Peter Obi Storms Osun Labour Party Guber Campaign / Peter Obi Gets Dragged On Twitter For Poverty Tweet / Congolese Education Minister, Mwaba, Impregnates His Married Deputy, She Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.