Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,452 members, 7,954,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:00 AM

Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones (968 Views)

Finally, Unilorin Releases 2017/2018 Merit Admission List / Corps Members Deployed To Teach Students In Kogi University, Says ASUU / Nigerian Man Who Makes Drones For US Army Bags His 6th Master's Degree. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by baruzeez(m): 4:18pm On Dec 07, 2015
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research, Technology and Innovation) of the University of Ilorin, Prof. Gabriel Olatunji, has said that the management of the University is set to put the University on the world map, as it gears up to break new grounds in the area of technological development. Prof. Olatunji disclosed this last Tuesday (December 1, 2015) while featuring on 'Oro to n lo', a Yoruba current affairs programme on Unilorin 89.3 FM. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor said that a pointer to the University's seriousness in realising this lofty goal was the successful manufacture of drone by a team of the University scientists led by Prof. S. A. Abdulkareem of the Department of Chemistry. According to Prof. Olatunji, the drone will be deployed for such functions as disaster management; security measure; weather monitoring; aerial imaging, and public safety. It will also take the pictures of crowd and towns, record events, dispatch letters, and give security reports of potential dangers on the campus. Prof. Olatunji disclosed that efforts are being made by the University management to ensure that in the next 10 years, products like Unilorin motor cars, Unilorin motorcycles, etc. will be in the Nigerian and African markets. It will be recalled that two sets of drones were displayed during the just concluded 31st Convocation/40thAnniversary of the University to the admiration of the guests and members of the University community. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor pointed out that the drones were manufactured at the University of Ilorin with imported parts from abroad. The German-trained scientist disclosed that the management is doing everything possible to make sure that the University of Ilorin remains better by far not only in terms of academic excellence but also in research findings and discoveries. Prof. Olatunji also disclosed that the Unilorin Virology Centre is underway, pointing out that when completed, it will be saddled with the responsibility of conducting research into, identifying and combating new and existing diseases in the society. The Deputy Vice-Chancellor stressed further that on completion, the Virology Centre would drastically reduce foreign medical tourism by many Nigerian politicians and money bags. “It will help the institution in achieving its mandate of providing community service through prevention and treatment of viral diseases”, he said. Prof. Olatunji also described the Central Research Laboratory (CRL) of the University as a world class resource with first class equipment courtesy of the commitment of the Vice- Chancellor of the nation's most patronised University, Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali (OON). The Deputy Vice-Chancellor, who commended the management of the University for making funds available for research, appealed to the Federal Government to make more funds available to tertiary institutions in the country to meet their needs. Prof. Olatunji described the choice of Prof. Isaac Adewole as the new Minister of Health as a wise decision, saying that the immediate past Vice- Chancellor of the University of Ibadan is the right man for the job. The Professor of Chemistry also urged academics never to shy away from politics, saying that the country will remain in the cesspool of poverty and underdevelopment if technocrats from the education sector prefer to be cowards. While commenting on the current fuel scarcity in the country, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor observed that until the government as well as other well- meaning Nigerians divert their attentions from crude oil to agriculture, the problem will continue to persist. He urged President Muhammadu Buhari to make agriculture his priority and to encourage local farmers through soft loans. Prof. Olatunji however disclosed that the University administration has invested heavily on date palm plantation, oil palm plantation, Teak plantation, and Jatropha plantation, all of which will eventually boost the institution's Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) on maturation.
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by lanrehamd: 4:26pm On Dec 07, 2015
kudos to Prof. AbdulGaniyu Ambali (OON). and his team
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by olalekan9320(m): 5:46pm On Dec 07, 2015
proudly better by far
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by baruzeez(m): 5:55pm On Dec 07, 2015
UNILORIN MAKING NAIJA PROUD SINCE 500 BC
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by danielous(m): 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2015
i juz hope those drones won't be hacked, juz my imagination though... grin
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by baruzeez(m): 7:27am On Dec 08, 2015
danielous:
i juz hope those drones won't be hacked, juz my imagination though... grin
na u o chief hacker
Mods fp please
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by GideonG(m): 7:39am On Dec 08, 2015
Please give me my admission today, I more than deserve it. Thank u!
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by calebify1(m): 9:11am On Dec 08, 2015
GideonG:
Please give me my admission today, I more than deserve it. Thank u!
Double G what's up?
they just dey fall our hand.
Re: Finally Unilorin Deployed It's Drones by GideonG(m): 9:39am On Dec 08, 2015
calebify1:
Double G what's up? they just dey fall our hand.
My bro na God hand we dey oo!

(1) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo University, That The 2014/2015 Session Has Been Cancelled. / Nigerian Student At Morgan State University Loses Life In Car Accident(pictured) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.