Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:17 AM

MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 (29121 Views)

FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States / MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 / Independence Anniversary Expenditure For The Past 5 Years. - Nasir El-rufai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by Sagamite(m): 11:12am On Dec 20, 2015
Sorry, just seeing this.

Seems to have been lost in my mentions while being active on other debates.

4Play:

The reason I hadn't replied to your post is that an adequate response requires copious references to data which I don't have the time to gather here but I will make a few points. You have to note that the premise of my original post - that the new budget must be fuelled by debt - has already been conceded. The budget projects 1.8 trillion Naira in debt will be required, nearly a third of projected spending. That Naira sum of projected debt in one year has no historical parallel. Given Nigeria's budgeting history, you will know that it's likely to prove an underestimate by the completion of the fiscal year.

I did not know that.

4Play:

Now, in my original post, I made a point which I have noticed much of the analyses in the post-GEJ era has overlooked. I said the following: "If revenues next year would be high enough to meet such spending, it should be happening already."The boilerplate response has been that 6 months is insufficient time to remedy many years of damage, but that misses the point. If GEJ's administration was stealing 40% of our budget as you claim, not to mention stolen revenue as Sanusi's famous $20bn claim alludes to, merely changing government should see an improvement in revenue reported. Instead, data on non-oil tax revenue, oil production and oil revenue remain lacklustre.

This is not a question of fixing our problems within six months, that is a straw man. It is a question of seeing some measure of improvement which justifies the outlandish claims about previous corruption. Think of a simple thought experiment: Supposing as a UK resident you entrust a business in Nigeria to family friend who reports to you that yearly and monthly revenue were circa 24m naira and 2m naira respectively. Eventually, you are told that the friend is looting 40% of the revenue and as a result you replace him. After 6 months with the new replacement in charge, won't you be a bit taken aback if the new person is still reporting circa 2m naira a month in revenue? If you look at official reported data, it is as if the old government is still in power. In the light of the lack of improvement, continuing to claim that things will be better next year is the triumph of hope over experience. What Paul Krugman refers to as a zombie idea, i.e., a false idea which is not killed by evidence.

I thought it might be useful to leave you with a few links which illustrate what I am referring to: Here is an extract from an article referring to February 2015 revenue: http://leadership.ng/news/418438/faac-fg-states-lgs-share-n522bn-for-february

Here is September 2015 revenue: https://www.nairaland.com/2697931/faac-fg-states-lgs-share#39470160

Once you adjust for currency depreciation and the fall in oil prices for the respective periods, you can't see much evidence of improvement.

Well, I think there are 3 points you have to consider here:

1) The drastic drop in oil prices mean that revenues has drastically dropped. To make that $20bn now would probably take, at least, twice the amount of time it would take to have made it during the Yam Festival. Even after discounting the 40% of the yam being eaten during the time the country had a yam rush. Revenues from $110 per barrel is far higher than that at $42 per barrel.

2) Change/Transformation does not happen like that. Just because you change leadership does not mean people would change. They would need to see the change in paradigm and punishment being enforced at a level and style that is a deterrent. That would not happen in 6 months. Definitely not in 6 months PMB & YB used for planning. Many would have thought "This is Nigeria, you can't change anything. It is the way it is", so why would they change a habit their lifestyle depends on when they still have their system of crookedness in place? Worse still when the government had no ministers in those 6 months to control anything.

3) When you want to implement a transformation (which is actually what we are having in Nigeria now, not just "change" ), things tend to first get bad at the beginning before they get good (sometimes, very bad especially when what existed before is very bad and entrenched in the culture). Many things have to be deconstructed before being reconstructed. So much uncertainty creeps in because people struggle to see how it would all end and tie up together as they have not seen such transformation before and it is complex. That is what is happening in Nigeria now. Uncertainty is one thing that is the worst enemy of investors. That is why we are seeing and would be seeing a series of job losses in Nigeria for another 6 months or so.

We were living in an artificial economy where the Cretin and his Goats were lying to the people about all things while creating an unsustainable bubble. Now they have their cretins out there criticising on all things shamelessly to distract the government.

As someone that has worked on Transformation before and can lead one, I really never expected any positive reports of improvement in the short term. Especially as I know many of those in Nigeria responsible for the Transformation would not be trained in the skills and tools of Transformation, no matter how competent and intellectual they are.

So I expected the whole emotional cycle of change.

Many are in the "Doubt"/"Anxious" phase right now just because they don't understand it. Some would even move to a "Depression" phase before it gets better:

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by ThundrCork(m): 1:50pm On Dec 20, 2015

[/quote]

makes a lot of sense, but how many have access or understand these psycho-economic analysis? how many will be patient to reach the hope phase let alone the confidence phase? Nigerians are very impatient people and even worse when they are deprived their means of livelihood. While it is important for the government to employ stiff measures, they should also not forget that an uprising could easily unseat them. best to hold on to power and devise mild ways to make things right than employ stiff measures and loose control totally.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by Sagamite(m): 4:56pm On Dec 22, 2015
ThundrCork:

makes a lot of sense, but how many have access or understand these psycho-economic analysis? how many will be patient to reach the hope phase let alone the confidence phase? Nigerians are very impatient people and even worse when they are deprived their means of livelihood. While it is important for the government to employ stiff measures, they should also not forget that an uprising could easily unseat them. best to hold on to power and devise mild ways to make things right than employ stiff measures and loose control totally.

That is where the Nigerian government need transformation consulting experts involved or in an advisory capacity.

For those in the know, you will know there are tools one can use at eah stage to manage the emotional feelings of people to move them in the positive direction.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by spinoff: 8:34pm On Dec 22, 2015
elampiro:
According to OPEC website, oil price averaged $107.46 in 2011
$109.45 in 2012
$105.87 in 2013
$96.29 in 2014
$52 in 2015
Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by spinoff: 8:38pm On Dec 22, 2015
Bevista:
I'll help with some figures of the budget proposals of the FG from 2011, just to provide some perspective:

Budget Proposed - N4.97Trillion
Oil Price Used - $75
Oil Production - 2.3mbbls/day

Budget Proposed - N4.75Trillion
Oil Price Used - $70
Oil Production - 2.48mbbls/day

Budget Proposed - N4.98Trillion
Oil Price Used - $79
Oil Production - 2.53mbbls/day

Budget Proposed - N4.91Trillion
Oil Price Used - $75
Oil Production - 2.39mbbls/day

Budget Proposed - N4.49Trillion
Oil Price Used - $53
Oil Production - 2.28mbbls/day

Budget Proposed - N6.0Trillion
Oil Price Used - $38
Oil Production - 2.2mbbls/day

I am interested in seeing the revenue details from the budget to know exactly how government intends to fund the budget. My first instinct, though, is that leackages in revenue generating agencies (like NCS, NPA, NNPC, etc) have been blocked and all funds channeled into the TSA. That the government has been able to come up with that size of budget - even in the face of declining oil prices & lower oil production levels - without depreciating the official exchange rate of the Naira - is truly remarkable.

How GEJ (with benchmark oil price of over $75 throughout his term) was not able to come up with a budget of up to N5T beggars belief. One can now say without equivocation that, had PMB met an oil price of $75, we would be talking about a N10T budget. Kindly note that during GEJ term, oil price was actually higher ($105) than the budget benchmark and yet our Foreign Reserves and ECA was declining.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by spinoff: 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2015
chinchum:

Naija would have shut down by now under GEJ, brent oil price now at 38dollars /barrel, GEJ period had oil boom of over 100 usd on the average, though budget benchmark was at avg of 75usd, meaning the extra 25usd + over budget benchmark was saved in to excess crude account. Many do not realise the enormity of the current situation in a Nigeria that was virtually anchored on oil price. I daily praise God, majority of Nigerian voters did not make the mistake of bringing GEJ back.
Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by spinoff: 9:56pm On Dec 22, 2015
Bevista:
I can understand your sentimental attachment to the Oil issue, and that is because you think it is your commodity. For the records, I am from Akwa Ibom State and the last time I checked we were contributing the most to Federation Account.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if the budget hangs on oil. It has always been that way, even while GEJ was president. When GEJ was there, how many times did you speak about true federalism? It is obvious you are still pained by his defeat, but I would advise you to move on. He was a disgrace to his people and the entire SS. The country under PMB will be better for you, except you were a direct beneficiary of the corruption under GEJ.
Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by 4Play(m): 1:06pm On Dec 25, 2015
I don't thnk the mention function works very well: I will make some rebuttal points on this matter but I don't think the premise of my original post is disputable now that the budget has been officially presented.

Firstly, I do not share your optimism about the new government as it is an optimism that has a tenuous link with reality. What is conspicuous by its absence in your posts, in a debate about public finance by the way, is recourse to data. I said in a post about a month ago that the easiest prediction to make in the social sciences is "more of the same." Buhari's government would prove to be inept just as every previous Nigerian government since independence. I would explicate more on this later but let me deal with some of the points you raised:

Sagamite:

Well, I think there are 3 points you have to consider here:

1) The drastic drop in oil prices mean that revenues has drastically dropped. To make that $20bn now would probably take, at least, twice the amount of time it would take to have made it during the Yam Festival. Even after discounting the 40% of the yam being eaten during the time the country had a yam rush. Revenues from $110 per barrel is far higher than that at $42 per barrel.

Except that this point has already been factored in in my comment. You only need to look at my post that you quoted to see that I made reference to February 2015 data and compared this with September 2015 data. I did this primarily because February 2015 revenue was derived from a time oil prices were circa $50 per barrel. For the February 2015 report link:
“There was loss of about 24.48 million dollars in revenue due to further drop in crude oil prices from 52.3 dollars in December 2014 to 48.6 dollars in January.
- From the September 2015 report link:
" There was revenue loss of 32 million dollars as a result of drop in average price of crude oil from 56.7 dollars in July to 47.3 dollars in August 2015.
. In summary, reported revenue for that month was circa 522 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 and a 40% yam eater was in charge and 390 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 per barrel and a non-yam eater was in charge. Notice also that my post had cited non-oil revenue which is largely unaffected by the oil price.

If GEJ's government ate 40% of the yam, the only reason revenue would continue to be lacklustre now that a non-yam eater is in charge is if yam eating is continuing in earnest. The more probable scenario is that, like the claim that Buhari stole $2bn as NNPC boss, the scale of yam eating is exaggerated for political effect. Witness how you made a statement which you believed to be a fact - that Dasuki alone pocketed $2.1bn which is N420bn at the official rate. Have you asked why he's being charged for a small fraction of the amount you "know" he stole? I have not taken time to address your claim that 40% of our budget was stolen in the GEJ era as it is frankly so absurd that it is not worth the time refuting.

2) Change/Transformation does not happen like that. Just because you change leadership does not mean people would change. They would need to see the change in paradigm and punishment being enforced at a level and style that is a deterrent. That would not happen in 6 months. Definitely not in 6 months PMB & YB used for planning. Many would have thought "This is Nigeria, you can't change anything. It is the way it is", so why would they change a habit their lifestyle depends on when they still have their system of crookedness in place? Worse still when the government had no ministers in those 6 months to control anything.

If the lack of improved revenue collection is because "change/transformation" would take time, that point has no place in a debate about public finance in the coming year since if revenue has not improved now it certainly is not going to do so, at least sufficiently, to ward off expanding the debt load significantly in 2016 which is the original point I made. This has been somewhat conceded by the government in its projected borrowing estimate.

3) When you want to implement a transformation (which is actually what we are having in Nigeria now, not just "change" ), things tend to first get bad at the beginning before they get good (sometimes, very bad especially when what existed before is very bad and entrenched in the culture). Many things have to be deconstructed before being reconstructed. So much uncertainty creeps in because people struggle to see how it would all end and tie up together as they have not seen such transformation before and it is complex. That is what is happening in Nigeria now. Uncertainty is one thing that is the worst enemy of investors. That is why we are seeing and would be seeing a series of job losses in Nigeria for another 6 months or so.

I find risible the use of APC bromides of change and transformation and rather feeble exculpatory claims that things getting worse for Nigerians is an indication of transformation. Such a claim requires an incredible leap of faith as it based on hope rather than history. I say this because the President did not distinguish himself in previous roles as PTF boss (where his underlings misappropriated 25bn Naira, a lot of money in those days), as military president (where Buharisms wrecked havoc on the economy as alluded to in this article -http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-election-analysis-idUSKBN0MS4T920150401) and as oil minister/NNPC Chairman. This echoes my query to those who in 2010/11 littered Nairaland shouting Fresh Air! in support of GEJ -what in the new president's past history demonstrates competence which imbues you with such confidence in his abilities for such an intellectually tasking role as being president?

Further, there is a glaring absurdity to the claim that pain-inducing uncertainty is the logical consequence of Buhari's awesome transformation. As if to say, that the deterioration in the economy and the flight of foreign capital is evidence that Buhari is working. In reality, uncertainty is the result of policy ineptitude, i.e., it's not just the inexcusable lack or delay in setting up a clear policy framework, it's that policies when announced are economically illiterate. Witness the declaration by the president that the Naira would not be devalued reinforcing the CBN's hamfisted attempt to maintain a fixed peg or the rather odd attempt to effectively extort money from foreign investors like MTN.

You have to also remember that financial markets are a forward discount mechanism, they reflect investors present assessment of future economic prospects. If you believe today that Buhari is embarking on a transformative path that will improve Nigeria significantly, you will invest today not adopt a wait and see attitude. There is, at the very least, a lack of supporting evidence by any objective criteria for the claim that we are witnessing benign transformation.

We were living in an artificial economy where the Cretin and his Goats were lying to the people about all things while creating an unsustainable bubble. Now they have their cretins out there criticising on all things shamelessly to distract the government.

It's funny that as the government has justified the 2016 borrowing on the basis that debt-GDP ratio is very low and, therefore, sustainable. In other words, they are operating on the basis that GEJ's economic data is accurate. I view data/info from GEJ's era suspiciously and the present governments wholsesale adoption of such data confirms my prediction of "more of the same."

As far as criticising the government causing it distraction, maybe the government should lock up its critics a la the first Buhari government. A Nigerian government certainly should not be put in a position where it is exposed to too much criticism.

In summary, Nigeria, like a lot of African countries, has been endowed with utterly incompetent leaders from the sectionalist Balewa to the brain-dead GEJ. There is nothing in Buhari's past history or policy leanings that convinces me that this time is different. At best, we might see a reduction in corruption but this is more likely to be offset by the deleterious effects of economic illiteracy. I have made this point several times - bad policies can cause more economic loss than all the Maduekes and Dasukis put together. When you insist on spending 1 trillion Naira per year subsidising fuel consumption, on fixing exchange rates and on doing fiscal stimulus in a high-inflation macro-environment, this can prove far more damaging than any attempts by an individual to change a nation's way of life for the better. It is for this reason that I suspect that the FG will have to scale back its 2016 borrowing if it wants to keep Nigeria on a fiscal sustainable path. We may have a good rally in oil prices in which case much of this is moot but that is a gamble the FG should not be making. As we go into the new year with many federal health workers yet to be paid their November salary and news of delays in paying federal workers, our judgement of our leaders should be grounded in empiricism borne out of verifiable facts and not blind faith in politicians supplemented by tendentious bromides like transformation and change.

PS: Wasn't transformation the buzz word of the GEJ administration?

5 Likes

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by omohayek: 9:26pm On Dec 25, 2015
As ever, you display in your analysis an impressive level of insight into the Nigerian political scene. Buhari's economic illiteracy is something I have been harping on here, and as you say, the real theme in the change of government is continuity of incompetence, rather than any sort of "change" for the better.

4Play:
I don't thnk the mention function works very well: I will make some rebuttal points on this matter but I don't think the premise of my original post is disputable now that the budget has been officially presented.

Firstly, I do not share your optimism about the new government as it is an optimism that has a tenuous link with reality. What is conspicuous by its absence in your posts, in a debate about public finance by the way, is recourse to data. I said in a post about a month ago that the easiest prediction to make in the social sciences is "more of the same." Buhari's government would prove to be inept just as every previous Nigerian government since independence. I would explicate more on this later but let me deal with some of the points you raised:

Except that this point has already been factored in in my comment. You only need to look at my post that you quoted to see that I made reference to February 2015 data and compared this with September 2015 data. I did this primarily because February 2015 revenue was derived from a time oil prices were circa $50 per barrel. For the February 2015 report link: - From the September 2015 report link: . In summary, reported revenue for that month was circa 522 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 and a 40% yam eater was in charge and 390 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 per barrel and a non-yam eater was in charge. Notice also that my post had cited non-oil revenue which is largely unaffected by the oil price.

If GEJ's government ate 40% of the yam, the only reason revenue would continue to be lacklustre now that a non-yam eater is in charge is if yam eating is continuing in earnest. The more probable scenario is that, like the claim that Buhari stole $2bn as NNPC boss, the scale of yam eating is exaggerated for political effect. Witness how you made a statement which you believed to be a fact - that Dasuki alone pocketed $2.1bn which is N420bn at the official rate. Have you asked why he's being charged for a small fraction of the amount you "know" he stole? I have not taken time to address your claim that 40% of our budget was stolen in the GEJ era as it is frankly so absurd that it is not worth the time refuting.

If the lack of improved revenue collection is because "change/transformation" would take time, that point has no place in a debate about public finance in the coming year since if revenue has not improved now it certainly is not going to do so, at least sufficiently, to ward off expanding the debt load significantly in 2016 which is the original point I made. This has been somewhat conceded by the government in its projected borrowing estimate.

I find risible the use of APC bromides of change and transformation and rather feeble exculpatory claims that things getting worse for Nigerians is an indication of transformation. Such a claim requires an incredible leap of faith as it based on hope rather than history. I say this because the President did not distinguish himself in previous roles as PTF boss (where his underlings misappropriated 25bn Naira, a lot of money in those days), as military president (where Buharisms wrecked havoc on the economy as alluded to in this article -http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nigeria-election-analysis-idUSKBN0MS4T920150401) and as oil minister/NNPC Chairman. This echoes my query to those who in 2010/11 littered Nairaland shouting Fresh Air! in support of GEJ -what in the new president's past history demonstrates competence which imbues you with such confidence in his abilities for such an intellectually tasking role as being president?

Further, there is a glaring absurdity to the claim that pain-inducing uncertainty is the logical consequence of Buhari's awesome transformation. As if to say, that the deterioration in the economy and the flight of foreign capital is evidence that Buhari is working. In reality, uncertainty is the result of policy ineptitude, i.e., it's not just the inexcusable lack or delay in setting up a clear policy framework, it's that policies when announced are economically illiterate. Witness the declaration by the president that the Naira would not be devalued reinforcing the CBN's hamfisted attempt to maintain a fixed peg or the rather odd attempt to effectively extort money from foreign investors like MTN.

You have to also remember that financial markets are a forward discount mechanism, they reflect investors present assessment of future economic prospects. If you believe today that Buhari is embarking on a transformative path that will improve Nigeria significantly, you will invest today not adopt a wait and see attitude. There is, at the very least, a lack of supporting evidence by any objective criteria for the claim that we are witnessing benign transformation.

It's funny that as the government has justified the 2016 borrowing on the basis that debt-GDP ratio is very low and, therefore, sustainable. In other words, they are operating on the basis that GEJ's economic data is accurate. I view data/info from GEJ's era suspiciously and the present governments wholsesale adoption of such data confirms my prediction of "more of the same."

As far as criticising the government causing it distraction, maybe the government should lock up its critics a la the first Buhari government. A Nigerian government certainly should not be put in a position where it is exposed to too much criticism.

In summary, Nigeria, like a lot of African countries, has been endowed with utterly incompetent leaders from the sectionalist Balewa to the brain-dead GEJ. There is nothing in Buhari's past history or policy leanings that convinces me that this time is different. At best, we might see a reduction in corruption but this is more likely to be offset by the deleterious effects of economic illiteracy. I have made this point several times - bad policies can cause more economic loss than all the Maduekes and Dasukis put together. When you insist on spending 1 trillion Naira per year subsidising fuel consumption, on fixing exchange rates and on doing fiscal stimulus in a high-inflation macro-environment, this can prove far more damaging than any attempts by an individual to change a nation's way of life for the better. It is for this reason that I suspect that the FG will have to scale back its 2016 borrowing if it wants to keep Nigeria on a fiscal sustainable path. We may have a good rally in oil prices in which case much of this is moot but that is a gamble the FG should not be making. As we go into the new year with many federal health workers yet to be paid their November salary and news of delays in paying federal workers, our judgement of our leaders should be grounded in empiricism borne out of verifiable facts and not blind faith in politicians supplemented by tendentious bromides like transformation and change.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by 4Play(m): 10:42pm On Dec 25, 2015
omohayek:
As ever, you display in your analysis an impressive level of insight into the Nigerian political scene. Buhari's economic illiteracy is something I have been harping on here, and as you say, the real theme in the change of government is continuity of incompetence, rather than any sort of "change" for the better.

Thanks. I must return the compliment by noting that your incisive posts are a rare breed on Nairaland. Sagamite is usually a cerebral poster, but he seems to have drunk the partisan kool aid on this one.

You are right, and this budget only served to reinforce my fears. A fiscal stimulus package is fine in a demand-deficient environment facing deflationary pressures, not so great in an inflationary environment. We need structural reforms to address stagflation and not stimulus. No doubt, there is an infrastructural deficit which needs to be addressed but not at the expense of maintaining fiscal credibility.

The funny thing is that if stimulus is effective, there could be monetary offset as CBN interest rates have to go up combat inflation. Whether effective or ineffective, public finances are likely to deteriorate given the debt. Also, in a stagflation environment, public sector borrowing tends to crowd out the private sector reducing the economy's growth.

Buhari's economic illiteracy was predictable and predicted. My hope was that the likes of Fayemi and Fashola would nudge him in the right direction. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to have happened.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by Sagamite(m): 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2015
4Play:

Unfortunately, I disagree.

I don't think you can take refuge in recourse to historical data to debate about governance between 2 different governments (one in the future) with different policies and intent.

I also fundamentally disagree with your social sciences axiom. Governments are different. Even in the UK, conservatives would be different from labour. In the US, republicans are different from democrats.

The most useless democratic government we have had is a competition between Jonaadaft and Shagari, Buhari would struggle to beat that even if he banged his head and something changed and he tried.

4Play:

Except that this point has already been factored in in my comment. You only need to look at my post that you quoted to see that I made reference to February 2015 data and compared this with September 2015 data. I did this primarily because February 2015 revenue was derived from a time oil prices were circa $50 per barrel. For the February 2015 report link: - From the September 2015 report link: . In summary, reported revenue for that month was circa 522 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 and a 40% yam eater was in charge and 390 billion Naira when oil was circa $50 per barrel and a non-yam eater was in charge. Notice also that my post had cited non-oil revenue which is largely unaffected by the oil price.

If GEJ's government ate 40% of the yam, the only reason revenue would continue to be lacklustre now that a non-yam eater is in charge is if yam eating is continuing in earnest.

Of course yam-eating would be continuing in earnest until people see the consequences of it.

You think people would just wake up and give up their lifestyles and "investment" in corruption without a fight?

4Play:

The more probable scenario is that, like the claim that Buhari stole $2bn as NNPC boss, the scale of yam eating is exaggerated for political effect. Witness how you made a statement which you believed to be a fact - that Dasuki alone pocketed $2.1bn which is N420bn at the official rate. Have you asked why he's being charged for a small fraction of the amount you "know" he stole?

First of all, I don't think if $2.1bn is missing then Dasuki alone would have pocketed it all.

Even if I said that, you should not be pedantic to the level you take it literally.

If you understand the way corruption works, there will be others taking a cut from it, Dasuki is just the central figure in the loot.

Secondly, the fact he is being charged with only a fraction NOW is by no means evidence that $2.1bn is an exaggeration. They reported to have found $2.1bn that is unaccounted for or illegal spending overall. You should consider he is being charged for a fraction of the loot because those are the easy to trace ones they have found.

You have absolutely no clue the list of other charges that would come and the combined figure it would come to. You are exhibiting the same quick to and early judgement one sees with wailing wailers here. The only difference is that I suspect yours is sincere and with good intentions.

4Play:

I have not taken time to address your claim that 40% of our budget was stolen in the GEJ era as it is frankly so absurd that it is not worth the time refuting.

First of all, let me tell you about my experience in a country with low corruption and high acountability. I was working in an advisory capacity to a UK government department and during a meeting a Director told me that they attribute about 6% of their procurements to corrupt practices.

If a country like the UK can attribute as much as 6% to corruption, what would you think a country soiled and soaked in corruption like Nigeria during a Yam Festival being run by a cretin would be?

You really think 40% is absurd? O lo si gym ni to ma ni abs? (It went to the gym to get the abs?)

Let me let you into an insight of my discussions with people that get contracts in the public sector in Nigeria. They told me they calculate the cost. Add their profit margin to get a bid figure.

It does not end there o, here is the absurd part, they now (at least) DOUBLE this bid figure before they bid. For those who dem eye no open and with "absurd" thinking that do not do this doubling abracadabra, when they submit the bid, their contacts would tell them to go back and do so because alot of people must to chop.

So a project that would cost N100m to do, add a N35m legitimate profit to get N135m. Then double this, to get N270m as the bid for the project for it to qualify for sign off and it to win. How much has been lost in such a scam of something that should cost N135m? And you are telling me 40% get abs? undecided

Worse still, they will not deliver on the work that should have cost N135m while taking N270m.

Is it not in the same Nigeria, during the same GEJ Yam Festival regime, that bulllet proof cars that cannot be worth more than $120K each were bought for $800K each? You think that was an exception?

Dey there!

Another thing, let me tell you the annual budget of the ONSA in 2014. It was about $740m.

Now imagine whatever Dasuki is stealing (from outside his Office's budget), you think the lower tier staff are living by their circa N300K salary a year? In a Yam Festival?

Dey there!

Go to Sagamu GRA and go and see the externally visible 25 airconditioners mansion the Chairman of the LG built there. You think that came from his (maximum) N5m a year payment entitlements?

You dey see abs abi?

Dey there!

Governments are having ghost workers, people are looting pensions while those entitled to the pensions are even still alive.

I know someone on NL who got a federal civil service job and she never gets paid her allowances, only gets paid her basic salary, because the senior staff are looting her allowances and they feel those at her level should feel lucky to even have such a job in the first place. This girl is well connected o.

And you are saying it is fatsurd to say 40% is going amiss in Nigeria? When people can loot those less powerful themselves live with impunity, you think it is budgets meant for processes and infrastructure they can't loot when those in Aso Rock power do not give a flying shyt?

Kontunu!

4Play:

You cannot say if revenue has not improved in 6 months, then it "certainly" will not improve in 12 months or 1 year. That is a logical fallacy!

Even in any calculations being done by a government, they would have a base case plus optimistic and pessimistic cases. This is the norm when trying to forecast the future. The base case is what is presented.

You have not factored in what will change, what is being changed and any lagging factor of what is being done recently in that argument. Especially when what was being done before was not anywhere near mediocre, talkless of best practice. That is like saying a fat man that can run 100m in 28s and then starts going to the gym for 2 hours (4 days a week) but is still adjusting to his new diet in the first 6 months will not run 100m faster 1 year than his 26.89s dash after. After 1 year, he will CERTAINLY still be only to run 100m in 24-28s.

Be careful how certain you are or proclaim when you are making assumptions, ESPECIALLY about future events.

4Play:

Of course when one is talking about the FUTURE actions of a 2nd party, and not ones-self, a major part of one's position is a level of faith.

So, yes, there is a leap of faith in my position.

You are perfectly entitled to your level of pessimism. But I don't share that.

My faith lies in my inside knowledge of how badly run the country has been run during the rise festival and my belief in the intent of Buhari as well as his ministerial appointments which brims with some competent individuals.

As for your arguments about individual actions by Buhari, to be clear, I don't agree with all his policies (nor his appointments) but that should not be mixed up with the realities of emotional phases of complex transformation which I am aware of and is academically accepted.

As for the highlighted in red, my advice to you is refrain from using such arguments. It is in the category of your "certainty" above.

Is there even enough data for investors to engage in forward discount mechanism in Nigeria? How will they invest when there is even no policy and no ministers?

4Play:

I can't disagree with this. But If you were in their position, what will you do?

You need to get a budget out in 6 months and make decisions on policies soon, what will you do?

Start gathering data that might take you 2 years to get good ones? Or go with the inadequate data at hand to make some kind of decision for now and focus on data improvement in the future?

4Play:

Why do you think they need to lock up their critics?

4Play:

I agree with many points here. I am just not as pessimistic.

As for Transformation being the buzzword of GEJ's administration, please refrain from ever comparing GEJ to PMB.

1 Like

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by 4Play(m): 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2016
I didn't respond to this earlier due to lack of time but I have to say much of your comments add no substantive value to the debate.

Unfortunately, I disagree.

I don't think you can take refuge in recourse to historical data to debate about governance between 2 different governments (one in the future) with different policies and intent.

This is a debate prompted by my claim that the 2016 budget may be fueled by debt -a claim already admitted by the politicians you are desperately defending. A debate about a budget hinges on data not a recourse to argument by assertion. This is not a debate about philosophy or theory but about facts.

Sticking to argument by assertion simply means that the facts belie your argument but that you don't want to be exposed as a chump.

I also fundamentally disagree with your social sciences axiom. Governments are different. Even in the UK, conservatives would be different from labour. In the US, republicans are different from democrats. The most useless democratic government we have had is a competition between Jonaadaft and Shagari, Buhari would struggle to beat that even if he banged his head and something changed and he tried.

There are usually peripheral differences between Labour and Conservatives and the GOP and the Democrats. You have to be utterly naive or hopelessly partisan to claim that either party represents a great leap in competence and that outcomes will be substantially different under either. If that were the case, the less competent party would effectively be wiped out by the electorate. By the same token, anyone who asserts that a GEJ or a Buhari government is oodles better than the other is expresssing sophomoric judgement.

Of course yam-eating would be continuing in earnest until people see the consequences of it. You think people would just wake up and give up their lifestyles and "investment" in corruption without a fight?

So yam eating today continues in earnest but you still maintain confidence that this government marks a monumental positive change from the previous one? Who is in power today - APC or PDP? Is there any evidence that the anti-corruption fight extends to the former? So, of course yam eating will continue in earnest. Today's yam eater has no need to put up a fight as the government is not actually demonstrating the slightest inclination to tackle corrupt officials under its watch.

First of all, I don't think if $2.1bn is missing then Dasuki alone would have pocketed it all. Even if I said that, you should not be pedantic to the level you take it literally. If you understand the way corruption works, there will be others taking a cut from it, Dasuki is just the central figure in the loot.

Right, this was your initial statement - Only a NSA on his own was stealing $2bn because they knew it was a Mumu that was running the country. I am glad you have "clarified" that a statement that only the NSA on his own was stealing $2bn does not mean that the NSA on his own stole $2bn.

Secondly, the fact he is being charged with only a fraction NOW is by no means evidence that $2.1bn is an exaggeration. They reported to have found $2.1bn that is unaccounted for or illegal spending overall. You should consider he is being charged for a fraction of the loot because those are the easy to trace ones they have found. You have absolutely no clue the list of other charges that would come and the combined figure it would come to. You are exhibiting the same quick to and early judgement one sees with wailing wailers here. The only difference is that I suspect yours is sincere and with good intentions.
This is utter hogwash. If it is known that the NSA and accomplices stole $2.1bn then that is sufficient to charge them for the theft. A prosecutor need not know where the money is now, what is sufficient for a charge is to demonstrate that the sums in question were illegally removed which, if they know this is what happened, they would do so. If there is no charge for those sums, it is because they do not know that those sums were stolen or are not serious. In either case, one cannot come on the internet and assert as a matter of fact that a sum was stolen, based on Naija media reports, when evidence that a sum of that magnitude was stolen is not extant.

First of all, let me tell you about my experience in a country with low corruption and high acountability. I was working in an advisory capacity to a UK government department and during a meeting a Director told me that they attribute about 6% of their procurements to corrupt practices. If a country like the UK can attribute as much as 6% to corruption, what would you think a country soiled and soaked in corruption like Nigeria during a Yam Festival being run by a cretin would be? You really think 40% is absurd? O lo si gym ni to ma ni abs? (It went to the gym to get the abs?)
Sagamite, please what is the name of this director who disclosed to you that 6% of a UK government department's budget is lost via corruption?

You seem to extrapolate from your mystical director's claim to the UK as a whole meaning that 6% of the £743bn UK budget, or £44bn is lost via corruption. I cannot even make such an outlandish claim in polite circles without people worrying about my mental health. I can understand if you are talking of a department like DFID and our foreign aid budget but that is because of the recipients of the foreign aid budget and is no reflection of the UK's susceptibility to corruption.

Let's go back to your original statement - Mate, Nigeria had a previous budget of about $28bn. Of which (conservatively) at least 40% was being looted.
. This is a shocking display of ignorance. If at least 40% of the FG budget is stolen, it means that Nigeria subsisted on at most $16bn. That the genuine FG spending committments - debt servicing, FG workers who include soldiers and policemen, actual fuel subsidies, e.t.c - is covered by only $16bn. Sagamite, if you actually believe this, this is an absurd display of bloviating ignorance.

This is what irritates me about Nigerians and why these debates are a waste of time. People believe that IBB stole $12.3bn of Gulf War windfall when nothing of that magnitude was generated for the period in question. Fighting corruption does not mean one has to believe or make outlandish claims.

You cannot say if revenue has not improved in 6 months, then it "certainly" will not improve in 12 months or 1 year. That is a logical fallacy! Even in any calculations being done by a government, they would have a base case plus optimistic and pessimistic cases. This is the norm when trying to forecast the future. The base case is what is presented.

You have not factored in what will change, what is being changed and any lagging factor of what is being done recently in that argument. Especially when what was being done before was not anywhere near mediocre, talkless of best practice. That is like saying a fat man that can run 100m in 28s and then starts going to the gym for 2 hours (4 days a week) but is still adjusting to his new diet in the first 6 months will not run 100m faster 1 year than his 26.89s dash after. After 1 year, he will CERTAINLY still be only to run 100m in 24-28s.

You are being gratuitously obtuse. Take the analogy you have given, how the hell does that even rebut my point? Read again, slowly if that helps, the summation of my view: Given present revenue generation, it is unlikely revenue generation in the coming months of 2016 will be high enough to justify the revenue projections made in the 2016 budget. What that means is 2016 is too early for revenues to increase sufficiently as projected. 2016 starts from 1 January 2016. Revenues need to be showing improvement already, not in a year's time, for the revenues projection to make any sense. If it is too early for revenues to increase as you acknowledge, what the flipping hell have you been arguing about all this while?

Be careful how certain you are or proclaim when you are making assumptions, ESPECIALLY about future events.Of course when one is talking about the FUTURE actions of a 2nd party, and not ones-self, a major part of one's position is a level of faith. So, yes, there is a leap of faith in my position. You are perfectly entitled to your level of pessimism. But I don't share that. My faith lies in my inside knowledge of how badly run the country has been run during the rise festival and my belief in the intent of Buhari as well as his ministerial appointments which brims with some competent individuals.

And yet, yam eating continues in earnest and revenue remains as dissapointing as before so your faith is not based on anything concrete. Talking of these competent individuals, does that include Kemi Adeosun who managed your state's finances for 4 years culminating in it requiring a bailout? Did Buhari not have this good intent when he ran PTF and NNPC and was military president? Yet, all previous stints in office were marked by grotesque incompetence.

As for your arguments about individual actions by Buhari, to be clear, I don't agree with all his policies (nor his appointments) but that should not be mixed up with the realities of emotional phases of complex transformation which I am aware of and is academically accepted.
You are assuming the premise which remains unproven - there is little evidence that Nigeria is experiencing positive transformation.

As for the highlighted in red, my advice to you is refrain from using such arguments. It is in the category of your "certainty" above.
Is there even enough data for investors to engage in forward discount mechanism in Nigeria? How will they invest when there is even no policy and no ministers?
Do you seriously think that a good defence of Buhari is that he has no policy and was slow to appoint ministers? It is another example of why he is just another inept politician and is a repeat of what he did the last time he was president.

You state there is not enough data for investors to work with, you are somewhat closer to the truth. There is nothing investors can see happening now which will give them confidence that this government marks a paradigm improvement on the previous one. Nobody can accuse the investor community of being wailing wailers. Their actions constitute an objective vote of no-confidence based on what has transpired so far. Only those who are engaging in wishful thinking, who are disingenuous or are operating under some ethnic bias invest much hope on any set of Nigerian politicians without concrete evidence of much improvement.

I can't disagree with this. But If you were in their position, what will you do? You need to get a budget out in 6 months and make decisions on policies soon, what will you do? Start gathering data that might take you 2 years to get good ones? Or go with the inadequate data at hand to make some kind of decision for now and focus on data improvement in the future?
You cannot announce plans to borrow unprecedented amounts and justify it by reference to data that you claim is bogus. You can't tell lenders to lend you more money whilst maintaining that your financial position is bogus.

The solution is to reduce borrowing drastically until revenues actually improve and until you have reassessed Nigeria's GDP figures. You cannot go on a borrowing spree based on bogus figures from the GEJ era and expect me to accept that this regime and the previous one are not birds of the same feather.

Why do you think they need to lock up their critics?
I do not think they need to lock up critics. But if as you state criticism is impeding their work, it may be of assistance if they did that.

Your posts here are a classic illustration of the chump tendency which my profile signature hints at. The original substance of your contention - a refutation of my claim that the 2016 budget requires major debt expansion - has long been lost. You claim it's too early to see substantial revenues improvement but that is effectively my original point, i.e., that the government cannot collect the projected revenues in the 12 months of 2016 given present revenue figures. The government may be able to match those projected revenue figures by 2018 - we will be able to judge closer to the time - but not in 2016.

As for GEJ's regime stealing, conservatively speaking, 40% of the budget that would imply that actual expenditure in the past is circa $16bn at the most. Given that this government has budgeted $30bn and it is an honest and competent government as your faith-based claim posits, we are going to experience the equivalent of a $14bn stimulus. grin grin

I have always stated on this forum that Nigeria has 2 main problems - corruption and policy ineptitude. However, the former pales in significance to the latter as you can develop with a corrupt leader a la Park Chung Hee of South Korea and Chiang Kai-Shek of Taiwan but there is no historical example of development with an inept leader. I also think Nigerians have a penchant for exaggeration or mendacity and that this erodes the quality of public debate. This is why Nigerians supported NLC's demands for a minimum wage of 52,000.00 Naira as the impression is created of an abundant fiscal purse which, but for pilfering by the political elite, would be sufficient to provide such goodies. I totally agree that we have some of the most corrupt political leadership but we need to maintain factual accuracy to be able critically evaluate our government and not pluck numbers out of the air.

5 years ago, I used to ask the Fresh air activists why they had such faith in GEJ given his unremarkable record as a public servant and would receive the usual non-sequitur dross. This is what I noted in 2010 post -
This man will turn out to be the worst President we've had since Shagari. Because he's taken over in extra-ordinary circumstances, his power base is not strong which means he feels he needs to bribe his way to gain loyalty.
https://www.nairaland.com/508968/jonathan-blew-away-27-billion#6701023. Buhari is in the same category as he has an emphatic record of utter incompetence which in any civilised setting would have entailed he would hardly be considered for the equivalent of local government chairman. As with GEJ, you do not need 4 years of failure to determine that inept public officials are more likely to provide inept governance.

2 Likes

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by Sagamite(m): 8:15pm On Jan 10, 2016
4Play:
I didn't respond to this earlier due to lack of time but I have to say much of your comments add no substantive value to the debate.

This is a debate prompted by my claim that the 2016 budget may be fueled by debt -a claim already admitted by the politicians you are desperately defending. A debate about a budget hinges on data not a recourse to argument by assertion. This is not a debate about philosophy or theory but about facts.

Sticking to argument by assertion simply means that the facts belie your argument but that you don't want to be exposed as a chump.

And your point is?

Did I not agree that it would be fueled by debt?

4Play:

There are usually peripheral differences between Labour and Conservatives and the GOP and the Democrats. You have to be utterly naive or hopelessly partisan to claim that either party represents a great leap in competence and that outcomes will be substantially different under either. If that were the case, the less competent party would effectively be wiped out by the electorate. By the same token, anyone who asserts that a GEJ or a Buhari government is oodles better than the other is expresssing sophomoric judgement.

Nonsense!

There are fundamental differences between them (especially GOP and Democrats).

In the UK, politicians that are able to go with public mood are usually pushed forward by the dominating party elites to make themselves electable, hence you have some convictionless cretin calling himself "Centre Left Right Right Left Zombie" emerging as leader. The electorate is not as militant as the US, so they can get away with it. The electorate became a little militant recently and we got Corbyn. A definite Left. The type you can never see in Tories.

In the US, they are polar opposites. Trying to impose their will on the nation especially when the opportunity occurs to select a Supreme Court Justice, since that means if the party is not even in power, they have someone aligned to their thinking in the Justice systems to protect their values. Opposite parties try to use the Congress to moderate the incumbent.

Stop chatting crap that GEJ and Buhari are not different and would not have different policies. That is beyond sophomoric and naive.

You can as well chat crap that GEJ administration is not different from the Vatican administration.

4Play:

So yam eating today continues in earnest but you still maintain confidence that this government marks a monumental positive change from the previous one? Who is in power today - APC or PDP? Is there any evidence that the anti-corruption fight extends to the former? So, of course yam eating will continue in earnest. Today's yam eater has no need to put up a fight as the government is not actually demonstrating the slightest inclination to tackle corrupt officials under its watch.

When you go and learn about how change/transformation occur, you can come back and stop arguing blindly.

This is beyond naive for me to even see it as a sensible point.

Your point about change as something that happens as if one uses a magic wand is extremely naive. There are numerous materials out there to educate you on big change (i.e. transformation).

4Play:

This is utter hogwash. If it is known that the NSA and accomplices stole $2.1bn then that is sufficient to charge them for the theft. A prosecutor need not know where the money is now, what is sufficient for a charge is to demonstrate that the sums in question were illegally removed which, if they know this is what happened, they would do so. If there is no charge for those sums, it is because they do not know that those sums were stolen or are not serious. In either case, one cannot come on the internet and assert as a matter of fact that a sum was stolen, based on Naija media reports, when evidence that a sum of that magnitude was stolen is not extant.

Stop chatting crap!

Known by who?

You?

Try to understand the difference between "not accounted for" and "stolen".

What was announced by the government was that $2.1bn was unaccounted for and illegal spending.

Something not accounted for can eventually be proven later that it was stolen, but is not evidence you take to court as prove it was stolen. You first need to get people accountable to come and explain where the unaccounted for is or why it is not showing in the books.

When the government then show where these monies went or has completely disappeared, then they have evidence of illegality they can take to court.

What did I tell you earlier? Did I not say:

"You have absolutely no clue the list of other charges that would come and the combined figure it would come to."?

Was it not reported recently that Falae's party collected some sums?

So, mate, you have no jackarse clue what more charges are coming to think you have grounds to say $2.1bn was an exaggeration and only a few million dollars is missing.

4Play:

Sagamite, please what is the name of this director who disclosed to you that 6% of a UK government department's budget is lost via corruption?

You seem to extrapolate from your mystical director's claim to the UK as a whole meaning that 6% of the £743bn UK budget, or £44bn is lost via corruption. I cannot even make such an outlandish claim in polite circles without people worrying about my mental health. I can understand if you are talking of a department like DFID and our foreign aid budget but that is because of the recipients of the foreign aid budget and is no reflection of the UK's susceptibility to corruption.

Please don't be moronic nor ask me moronic questions.

I should what?

I should tell you the name of a Director/Client I have worked with because I am debating you online about corruption in Nigeria and you don't believe what I said?

How fcking reetarded can that be?

So you moronically think I made it up to win this argument?

If I told you the name, it would make it more true to you?

Or you plan to run to Westminster to ask the Director "Did you tell a man from Sagamu this"?

What crap made you ask me to disclose such to you?

You think you are "exposing me for making it up"?

Mate, don't be silly. Here is the same point I made 2 years ago saying the same thing well before you could even dream of this argument.

http://www.jarushub.com/sagamite-how-to-tackle-nigerias-infrastructural-challenge/

I made it up then, so I could argue with you 2 years later?

Mate, I would suggest you keep quiet about things you don't know.

Even in the fcking UN, there is corruption. You think all the Transparency International Index that countries like the UK are not top in were manufactured?

Let me tell you a fact, when there is a level of high public procurement, there is a high chance and opportunity for corruption. You think when the BBC spent £100m on an IT system they abandoned without any use, you think there would not have been some level of corruption there? You think when Vince Cable sold Royal Mail for peanuts to primary investors and it appreciated by 37% in 24 hours which these investors then sold on to secondary investors there was no corruption?

Corruption in the West exist but is just in a lower and different format. People give their friends, with less competitive bids or capabilities, contracts. They can give them a contract at the right price but after winning and while delivery is taking place, they support changes that increase the cost. Some give their friends/contact contracts, don't collect money, but then later take a board position where they are paid crazy money.

So stop chatting crap and start being a belieber even if this is not Justin.

4Play:

Let's go back to your original statement - Mate, Nigeria had a previous budget of about $28bn. Of which (conservatively) at least 40% was being looted.
. This is a shocking display of ignorance. If at least 40% of the FG budget is stolen, it means that Nigeria subsisted on at most $16bn. That the genuine FG spending committments - debt servicing, FG workers who include soldiers and policemen, actual fuel subsidies, e.t.c - is covered by only $16bn. Sagamite, if you actually believe this, this is an absurd display of bloviating ignorance.

This is what irritates me about Nigerians and why these debates are a waste of time. People believe that IBB stole $12.3bn of Gulf War windfall when nothing of that magnitude was generated for the period in question. Fighting corruption does not mean one has to believe or make outlandish claims.

What utter crap!

Why are you surprised?

Is it not the same Nigeria where people are looting the money meant for soldiers to fight Boko Haram?

Is it not the same Nigeria where pensioners queue up for days because they cannot get their pension?

Is it not the same Nigeria where some people were convicted for stealing N32bn of Police Pension?

Is it not the same Nigeria where Tafa Balogun looted $150m of Police Pension?

Is it not the same Nigeria where NIMASA claimed to have bought 400 acres (2 hectares) of land in a remote VILLAGE in Delta State (Not Lagos) for N13bn (something that should not have exceeded 600m at the worst scam)?

Not knowing these is what is blowjobiating ignorance.

Even if the example of a Nairalander and bid process I gave in my last post did not register enough in your brain, I am sitting right here with my MAMA from Sagamu right now and we were discussing one of my Aunties that has retired for over 10 years and has still not got her entitled gratuity.

10 FCKING YEARS!

Her pension took 5 years to be paid and she is just finding out now that payment actually commenced 2 years earlier. So for 2 years, someone was pocketing her pension.

They pocketed her gratuity and pension.

You think it is only her such is happening to in Nigeria?

As I said earlier, the Nairalander who's Boss' are looting her allowance is extremely well connected in Nigeria, and that is happening to her. What do you think would happen to the gazillions from unconnected, $1 a day families?

Mate, stop chatting crap!

Siddon there and believe it is impossible for 40% of the budget being looted.

4Play:

You are being gratuitously obtuse. Take the analogy you have given, how the hell does that even rebut my point? Read again, slowly if that helps, the summation of my view: Given present revenue generation, it is unlikely revenue generation in the coming months of 2016 will be high enough to justify the revenue projections made in the 2016 budget. What that means is 2016 is too early for revenues to increase sufficiently as projected. 2016 starts from 1 January 2016. Revenues need to be showing improvement already, not in a year's time, for the revenues projection to make any sense. If it is too early for revenues to increase as you acknowledge, what the flipping hell have you been arguing about all this while?

O tu blow grammar si (And he continues blowing grammar).

You were chatting crap with your argument that you know for certain.

There is a difference between "certainty" and "unlikely". Never again say you are certain about the future.

Secondly, Nigeria depends on Oil. Its price is volatile, not gratutucikolopious. Don't be so certain. You can argue unlikely and that is a matter of opinion.

4Play:

And yet, yam eating continues in earnest and revenue remains as dissapointing as before so your faith is not based on anything concrete. Talking of these competent individuals, does that include Kemi Adeosun who managed your state's finances for 4 years culminating in it requiring a bailout? Did Buhari not have this good intent when he ran PTF and NNPC and was military president? Yet, all previous stints in office were marked by grotesque incompetence.

You are assuming the premise which remains unproven - there is little evidence that Nigeria is experiencing positive transformation.

Do you seriously think that a good defence of Buhari is that he has no policy and was slow to appoint ministers? It is another example of why he is just another inept politician and is a repeat of what he did the last time he was president.

You state there is not enough data for investors to work with, you are somewhat closer to the truth. There is nothing investors can see happening now which will give them confidence that this government marks a paradigm improvement on the previous one. Nobody can accuse the investor community of being wailing wailers. Their actions constitute an objective vote of no-confidence based on what has transpired so far. Only those who are engaging in wishful thinking, who are disingenuous or are operating under some ethnic bias invest much hope on any set of Nigerian politicians without concrete evidence of much improvement.

You cannot announce plans to borrow unprecedented amounts and justify it by reference to data that you claim is bogus. You can't tell lenders to lend you more money whilst maintaining that your financial position is bogus.

The solution is to reduce borrowing drastically until revenues actually improve and until you have reassessed Nigeria's GDP figures. You cannot go on a borrowing spree based on bogus figures from the GEJ era and expect me to accept that this regime and the previous one are not birds of the same feather.
I do not think they need to lock up critics. But if as you state criticism is impeding their work, it may be of assistance if they did that.

Your posts here are a classic illustration of the chump tendency which my profile signature hints at. The original substance of your contention - a refutation of my claim that the 2016 budget requires major debt expansion - has long been lost. You claim it's too early to see substantial revenues improvement but that is effectively my original point, i.e., that the government cannot collect the projected revenues in the 12 months of 2016 given present revenue figures. The government may be able to match those projected revenue figures by 2018 - we will be able to judge closer to the time - but not in 2016.

As for GEJ's regime stealing, conservatively speaking, 40% of the budget that would imply that actual expenditure in the past is circa $16bn at the most. Given that this government has budgeted $30bn and it is an honest and competent government as your faith-based claim posits, we are going to experience the equivalent of a $14bn stimulus. grin grin

I have always stated on this forum that Nigeria has 2 main problems - corruption and policy ineptitude. However, the former pales in significance to the latter as you can develop with a corrupt leader a la Park Chung Hee of South Korea and Chiang Kai-Shek of Taiwan but there is no historical example of development with an inept leader. I also think Nigerians have a penchant for exaggeration or mendacity and that this erodes the quality of public debate. This is why Nigerians supported NLC's demands for a minimum wage of 52,000.00 Naira as the impression is created of an abundant fiscal purse which, but for pilfering by the political elite, would be sufficient to provide such goodies. I totally agree that we have some of the most corrupt political leadership but we need to maintain factual accuracy to be able critically evaluate our government and not pluck numbers out of the air.

5 years ago, I used to ask the Fresh air activists why they had such faith in GEJ given his unremarkable record as a public servant and would receive the usual non-sequitur dross. This is what I noted in 2010 post - https://www.nairaland.com/508968/jonathan-blew-away-27-billion#6701023. Buhari is in the same category as he has an emphatic record of utter incompetence which in any civilised setting would have entailed he would hardly be considered for the equivalent of local government chairman. As with GEJ, you do not need 4 years of failure to determine that inept public officials are more likely to provide inept governance.

As for these rest, as I said earlier, you are entitled to your pessimistic views.

That said, I think you are chatting crap to state that corruption pales in significance in regards to Nigeria's problem compared to policy.

That is supreme ignorance.

The type of Corruption we have in Nigeria is in no way comparable to South Korea or Taiwan, to even have grounds to use them as a comparative.

2 Likes

Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by Sagamite(m): 1:05pm On Jan 11, 2016
Sagamite:

Corruption in the West exist but is just in a lower and different format. People give their friends, with less competitive bids or capabilities, contracts. They can give them a contract at the right price but after winning and while delivery is taking place, they support changes that increase the cost. Some give their friends/contact contracts, don't collect money, but then later take a board position where they are paid crazy money.

So stop chatting crap and start being a belieber even if this is not Justin.

I said it yesterday night, this is the news today's morning.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-gravy-train-scandal-7153710

Maybe I need to name my contact in the Mirror newspaper that I bribed to write this article to support my argument online with 4Play. undecided
Re: MTEF: FEC Approves N6tr Expenditure For 2016 by 4Play(m): 6:34pm On Feb 07, 2016
@Sagamite aka Olodo 1 of Sagamu

I realised I was arguing with a mendacious partisan oaf, so decided not to bother but will keep you updated on a monthly basis, if I remember, as to how your "transformative" budget is going.

Remember when I made my first comment about the budget being optimistic on the revenue side, the government expected the deficit to be $11bn or 2.2 trillion Naira. Well, the government now expects deficits to be $15bn or 3 trillion Naira. In other words, revenue estimates are now scaled down by $4bn.

Nigeria expects a budget deficit of 3 trillion naira in 2016, which is equivalent to $15 billion up from 2.2 trillion naira, or $11 billion, that had been previously estimated.
[url]http://www.africanews.com/2016/02/05/nigeria-s-world-bank-support-to-fund-budget-deficit-welcomed/ [/url]

Entirely predictable and very much predicted. Maybe they can get some relief from the 40 percent of the budget, conservatively speaking, that was being stolen. grin

In the end, I suspect they have to cut back some of the planned spending. $15bn is the equivalent of nearly 25% of Nigeria's total outstanding debt when this government came into power.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Army Disowns Pictures, Videos Of Mass Burials In Zamfara / Ezekwesili To DSS: Stop Embarrassing Yourself, Tell Us Truth Of Emefiele Matter / INEC Staff Die In Benue State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 278
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.