Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 AM

Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo (4814 Views)

"I Didn't Give Approval For Launch Of Radio Biafra In America"– Nnamdi Kanu / Nnamdi Kanu Addressed As ‘his Excellency, President Of Biafra’ In Kuje Prison / MEND: Nnamdi Kanu Accepted To Renounce Biafra In Secret (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by rkennyking(m): 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2017
ATTENTION!!!!!!!!
Please every well meaning Nigerian is invited to become a member of our peace loving association . It's an organisation where there is no Arewa, Biafra or Oduduwa. We respect right to self determination but also understand that we all are human and can't leave without one another. We respect every tribe and there's no majority nor minority. The first and most important thing is we are human , we want to be able to speak for every tribe in our Country . What we are WAZOBIA Youth
Quote me for more details please
Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by akulaxx: 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2017
JohnNgene:

Izon? As in, Ijaw? Please elaborate sir.

there is a river in izonland(ijaw) called Biafurue

the Portuguese could not pronounce it well hence they called it Biafra. thats where they anchor to buy palm oil brought from the hinterland.
Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by JohnNgene: 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2017
akulaxx:

there is a river in izonland(ijaw) called Biafurue

the Portuguese could not pronounce it well hence they called it Biafra. thats where they anchor to buy palm oil brought from the hinterland.

Wow! Interesting information here. Please what exactly does "Biafurue" mean? Could you translate it to English for us? And does the river still bear this name till today or was it changed after the Biafra war? Where exactly is it located in Izonland?
Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by Ozouno1: 6:41pm On Sep 05, 2017
JohnNgene:

You have touched the lion's tail. So now I'm forced to roar. Lol.

When I was still an undergraduate of political science, we once asked our lecturer what he thinks about the Igbo being Jews. Do you know what he said? He told us to stop being Eurocentric. He said that in his own opinion, since Africa is arguably the cradle of humanity, we should be talking about the Igbo being the ancestors of the Jews and not the other way round. He also went further to theorize that the so-called Igbo-enwe-eze or egalitarian pre-colonial Igbo society must have evolved from an earlier period of time when the Igbo were united under a monarchy and were later fed up with it, birthing the name "Ezebuilo" meaning "the king is an enemy".

That said, in my own observation, its clear to me that the many tribes of the Igbo nation all agree that we are one. That is why there's this popular saying that Igbo na-asu n'onu n'onu. The only Igbo people who seem to reject their Igboness are the Onitsha people who openly claimed a Bini ancestry even before the Biafra war. As for the Ikwerre (where Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi hails from) and other riverine Igbo communities, their denial of Igboness stems more from the trauma of or reaction to the Biafra war.

My main point is that there's no need to upgrade the status of Igbo tribes (Nkanu, Nsukka, Ngwa, Owerri, Obosi etc) to that of separate nations yet. We're like the 12tribes of Israel now before their division into two kingdoms. At the end, aren't those two kingdoms now united under the modern state of Israel?

If the issue is autonomy from Nigeria many villages are even called autonomous villages and would merely need education on human rights. We're being kept ignorant of human rights. There is not even a translation of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights being translated into Igbo and distributed. We could have come up with strategy to leave Federation of Nigeria years ago and form our own Federation (Ogbako).

If Niger Delta or Ikwere for example doesn't want to be a part of an Igbo or biafran nationality that's their human right. So now we're at an impasse claiming igbo or biafra as a mation. This impasse is now going on for 60 years. This is similar to the Marcus Garvey organization, the UNIA, which refused to change their formula and to this day declares themselves the government of all blacks in the world.

Either change the formula or we're stuck in neutral. We don't need bible references or references to Israel to get free. We need widely distributed Igbo translation and education of the human rights declaration and process. The
universal declaration of human rights is supposedly the formula to be recognized as an independent nationality... Yet where is the mass distribution and translation of this document?

Introducing abrahamic religion and prophecy into human rights process is gaslighting, attempts to misdirect people off course mentally. The attacks on indigenous Black Igbo African governance and culture are so shameless in this so called independence movement... its too much to ignore and must be addressed. Even one group out here calling itself Zionist Biafra movement or something like that. Its a dead movement with questionable origins down to its name, just like Garvey's movement the universal negro improvement association. It is Time to restrategize and be honest with ourselves. I for one know the younger generation are ready for true indigenous black Igbo renaissance and have black allies globally.
The idea of identifying with foreign religion is outdated strategy. It was done in hope to make allies from the same ones who demonized our indigenous religion in the first place.

Buddha, Tao in Asia becomes Vodu, NTU, Ndu, Odu Afa in west Africa. Related systems but black Africa was colonized and demonized. comparative studies such as comparative linguistics should be done between Asia and Black Africa to remove the stigma.

And that should be a goal of a true indigenous black nationalism movement. Not the leader calling indigenous Black religion idolatry and saying he's going to build his own temple while wearing a Jewish star. This is madness.
Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by JohnNgene: 8:25am On Sep 06, 2017
Ozouno1:

If the issue is autonomy from Nigeria many villages are even called autonomous villages and would merely need education on human rights. We're being kept ignorant of human rights. There is not even a translation of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights being translated into Igbo and distributed. We could have come up with strategy to leave Federation of Nigeria years ago and form our own Federation (Ogbako).

If Niger Delta or Ikwere for example doesn't want to be a part of an Igbo or biafran nationality that's their human right. So now we're at an impasse claiming igbo or biafra as a mation. This impasse is now going on for 60 years. This is similar to the Marcus Garvey organization, the UNIA, which refused to change their formula and to this day declares themselves the government of all blacks in the world.

Either change the formula or we're stuck in neutral. We don't need bible references or references to Israel to get free. We need widely distributed Igbo translation and education of the human rights declaration and process. The
universal declaration of human rights is supposedly the formula to be recognized as an independent nationality... Yet where is the mass distribution and translation of this document?

Introducing abrahamic religion and prophecy into human rights process is gaslighting, attempts to misdirect people off course mentally. The attacks on indigenous Black Igbo African governance and culture are so shameless in this so called independence movement... its too much to ignore and must be addressed. Even one group out here calling itself Zionist Biafra movement or something like that. Its a dead movement with questionable origins down to its name, just like Garvey's movement the universal negro improvement association. It is Time to restrategize and be honest with ourselves. I for one know the younger generation are ready for true indigenous black Igbo renaissance and have black allies globally.
The idea of identifying with foreign religion is outdated strategy. It was done in hope to make allies from the same ones who demonized our indigenous religion in the first place.

Buddha, Tao in Asia becomes Vodu, NTU, Ndu, Odu Afa in west Africa. Related systems but black Africa was colonized and demonized. comparative studies such as comparative linguistics should be done between Asia and Black Africa to remove the stigma.

And that should be a goal of a true indigenous black nationalism movement. Not the leader calling indigenous Black religion idolatry and saying he's going to build his own temple while wearing a Jewish star. This is madness.

You seem to be missing the point. I only used Israel as an example of a people who share one ancestry but have 12 tribes.

You also seem to be too focused on Nnamdi Kanu (IPOB leader). He's only playing his own limited part in the move for Igbo self-determination. Same goes for Uwazurike (former leader of MASSOB) and Benjamin Onwuka (of the former BZM, now BZF). Have you heard of Biafrans Living in Exile (BILIE) and Bilie Human Rights Initiative (BHRI) movements? These groups are playing their parts as well.

Yet I find this your approach flawed because you over-emphasize the autonomous status of our Igbo communities without looking at the obvious disadvantage of such an approach. Just as I find Kanu's approach of including Benue and Niger-Delta in Biafra flawed. And yes, the Niger-Delta have the right to seek their own self-determination separate from that of the Igbo. I welcome that possibility whole-heartedly. After all, didn't their Adaka Boro fight for a Niger-Delta republic even before our Ojukwu fought for Biafra?

I would prefer an approach that aims at an exclusive Igbo nation-state comprising of our various Igbo tribes who have different dialects of the same Igbo language. If the Ikwerre choose to go with the Niger-Delta, so be it.
Re: Meaning Of Biafra In Igbo by Ozouno1: 9:20am On Sep 08, 2017
JohnNgene:

You seem to be missing the point. I only used Israel as an example of a people who share one ancestry but have 12 tribes.

You also seem to be too focused on Nnamdi Kanu (IPOB leader). He's only playing his own limited part in the move for Igbo self-determination. Same goes for Uwazurike (former leader of MASSOB) and Benjamin Onwuka (of the former BZM, now BZF). Have you heard of Biafrans Living in Exile (BILIE) and Bilie Human Rights Initiative (BHRI) movements? These groups are playing their parts as well.

Yet I find this your approach flawed because you over-emphasize the autonomous status of our Igbo communities without looking at the obvious disadvantage of such an approach. Just as I find Kanu's approach of including Benue and Niger-Delta in Biafra flawed. And yes, the Niger-Delta have the right to seek their own self-determination separate from that of the Igbo. I welcome that possibility whole-heartedly. After all, didn't their Adaka Boro fight for a Niger-Delta republic even before our Ojukwu fought for Biafra?

I would prefer an approach that aims at an exclusive Igbo nation-state comprising of our various Igbo tribes who have different dialects of the same Igbo language. If the Ikwerre choose to go with the Niger-Delta, so be it.

What is the obvious disadvantage of such an approach? Do you know about the Republic of New Afrika or the Black Panther Party of USA? African Americans have been asking for plebiscite (referendum) to determine their African American independence for 50 years. Now they've got several groups ta. You don't understand. "Biafra" is not coming. Igbo recognition as a nation is not coming either. Not from a united Nations referendum. The most expedient way to become nation is conspiring to vote for nationhood in small groups and conspiring on confederating.

Another question. Aren't these political parties are all fighting to be the government of Biafra? Where is the legitimate government of Biafra? Is there a written bill of rights? A constitution? What is the tax system? The currency? Biafra isn't coming just like Republic of new Afrika isn't coming. Too many flaws and contradictions to human Rights laws and actually lacking an agreed system of government.

I know IPOB wrote that the "customary government" is translated as ochichi amaala. But that is literally government by village land council. A referendum to form a new nation and unite/confederate could be held by ochichi amaala.
Customary government is literally translated Ochichi Omenala but I guess the Jewish/Christian agenda trumps the truth? Troubling sign.

I would not be caught holding my breath for United Nations plebiscite or referendum to recognize "Igbo" as one nation, with no agreed upon government. The united Nations is made up of other nations and races that exploit corrupt African states and their resources, and also includes the corrupt African states themselves like Nigeria established by colonizers. Recognizing indigenous black groups as nations would delegitimate every African country. Every Black African indigenous People Would begin demanding sovereignty and human rights and start working together to form a united front. Even one day form our own court system and do away with African Union and ICC and united Nations.
I don't think people realize the UN are filled with enemies to Black indigenous agendas and you have to be very savvy approaching people.
Or you end up waiting 50 to 100 years for referendum and plebiscite that will never come, before your destitute children start rethinking the whole strategy and cursing the previous generations strategy. This is whats beginning to happen in the USA. Rethink the strategy or there's not going to be any independence. Period.

Oduduwa Republic might have a chance as they are trending towards using indigenous customary government as a basis for government. I don't see Zionists with forked tongue running their campaign.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"No Election In Biafra Until They Give Us The Referendum Date." Nnamdi Kanu / BREAKING!!! Biafra :Nnamdi Kanu Meets Israeli Flying Aid, Reveals Next Move(pic) / Southern Reconciliation/unity Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.