Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,796 members, 7,851,681 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:19 AM

Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola (47632 Views)

FG To Reintroduce Tolls On Federal Highways / FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola / Road Infrastructure: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Olukat(m): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
Fashola need to study previous Govts. Policies on this issue.
The absence of a toll gate does not necessarily mean people aren't paying certain amount of money
The FG must review the decision of OBJ administration on the issue, and of course represent it to the senate.
Nigerians are paying with hardship and pains. sad sad sad
More taxation would add to their sufferings

1 Like

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by tete7000(m): 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
Only a fool would not expect this from APC and Fashola. For highway however I have always believed it is ill conceived of Obasanjo administration to have demolished our toll infrastructure and then start thinking of a foolish fuel tax.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by koboko69: 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
Bestbeelieve:

Those are nations where amenities work.we should get it right first before drainning the pockets of people who are even on the verge of salary cuts.what manner of policies? Please.....
Ohohohoho..

Was this ur position when Jonathan incease import duties on used and new cars....even though basic amenities were not in place.

I am sure you were one of the ones saying we have to take a first step ...india did it china did it....bla bla bla.

But for your hatred now.....you are singing another tune
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by CaptPlanet(m): 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
It's very obvious that the only language this govt understands is money not governance

Nigerians have enough bills already, don't inflict more bills on them ffs.

The tolls you will collect will go to the right place exactly how your website maintenance and borehole contract funds went to the right place.

Ask him after four years and he'll tell you that he doesn't sign cheques.

These guys are trolls
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
I would gladly pay N2000 as toll from lagos to ibadan if it means the journey takes no more than the 1 hr it's supposed to take. The time lost navigating lagos -Ibadan and all the bad federal highways is worth a lot more than that.

It's not tolling that's the issue, it's the corruption that usually follows these ideas that get people up in arms. What I would hate is to pay tolls on a bad road. I am a Fashola skeptic personally but this govt says it's not business as usual anymore so let's give them a chance. We have to, because if this government fails, Nigeria is doomed.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by PEREP: 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2015
I expected nothing less from BRF. Someone who could toll a bridge within a state won't toll connecting roads? The policy of FG to scrap the tolls was premised on the fact that N1.50 tax is included in the template used in calculating the final Fuel cost every driver pays (another double taxation)

We are taking note
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by ODUBEZE: 7:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
In as much as I support most of Fashola's idea in the sense of job creation, I must say I am not in support in this for the following reasons:
1. Introduction of toll fee will lead to multiple taxation in addition to the untold hardship!
2. These same motorist is already extorted! They pay for virtually almost everything. clearance, licence e.t.c
3. These same people take care of so many bills
a. House rent
b. Disco Bills
c. School fees
d. PSP bills
e. Security bills
f. Business place permit
g. child(ren) welfare
h. family responsibilities
i. Food stuff
j. payment of digital TV I.e DSTV which by the way analog will soon be outdated
k. Transportation
l. clothing
m. tax and so much more!
4. It will increase transportation fee
5. Traffic jam
If I may ask, if the masses pay for all they use, what then is the duty of the government?
Why do we have government? we can as well govern ourselves!
This is too much on the masses while our elected leaders have everything at their disposals for free or almost!
The rich keep getting richer while...
This is not good at all!
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by arresa: 7:15pm On Dec 08, 2015
koboko69:

Ohohohoho..

Was this ur position when Jonathan incease import duties on used and new cars....even though basic amenities were not in place.

I am sure you were one of the ones saying we have to take a first step ...india did it china did it....bla bla bla.

But for your hatred now.....you are singing another tune

Because of hatred, what's good for Nigeria is bad news and what's bad for Nigeria is good news in their world. This is the basis for their hate, bitter and anti Nigeria mentality..

1 Like

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
woodcook:

Your post sounds as if road users have not be being for it via a tax was introduced by Obj each time you buy a litre of petrol. My question is, is FG going to drop the tax on petrol when the tolls are erected or are they going to pretend that there was no such tax meant for road maintenance and tax ordinary citizens twice for same thing? Mind you, you know how life is in Nigeria and what people living on fixed are passing through on daily basis in order to make ends with their meager pay and you want to burden them again.

I share ur sentiments too... I'm a Nigeria.. We passed through what u have stated above together. But, that doesn't make the implementation bad.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by NovusHomo(m): 7:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
flexxyworld:
BRF is working!

Yep, let the State provide infrastructure (roads, railway, airports, seaports, etc,etc; the public will be willing to pay for using them.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
lookandlaff:
I would gladly pay N2000 as toll from lagos to ibadan if it means the journey takes no more than the 1 hr it's supposed to take. The time lost navigating lagos -Ibadan and all the bad federal highways is worth a lot more than that.

It's not tolling that's the issue, it's the corruption that usually follows these ideas that get people up in arms. What I would hate is to pay tolls on a bad road. I am a Fashola skeptic personally but this govt says it's not business as usual anymore so let's give them a chance. We have to, because if this government fails, Nigeria is doomed.
you already pay tax for that journey on every litre of fuel you buy, Nigeria and slavery mentality. You should be demanding for better roads because you already payed for it, paying toll fee in a country like Nigeria (where nothing works) doesn't guarantee a good road
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
adjoviomole:

No federal tolls.d lga tolls we have,who's account is d money goin to? Dey make millions in a day n yet no good road,now dey want to take d extortion to federal level......

Where is the local government tolls located? Lekki expressway?
That expressway was PPP... Public Private Partnership. Instead of being indebted to the company... Why not just collect tolls for a certain period of time under Cost Base Analysis..

That's just simple economics.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by arresa: 7:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
ODUBEZE:
In as much as I support most of Fashola's idea, I must say I am not in support in this for the following reasons:
1. Introduction of toll fee will lead to multiple taxation in addition to the untold hardship!
2. These same motorist is already extorted!

Pay a token tax and get to drive on better roads and bridges, save time and energy, increase productivity and energize your economy or lose your life like thousands of Nigerians dying every year on the death traps you call roads today.

Pick one.

Many of you have what they call penny wise pound foolish syndrome...

1 Like

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by iblife: 7:22pm On Dec 08, 2015
chigo931:
Look @ dem yeyuba bigots being happy because your broda plans to extort from Nigerians.

Obj removed tolls due to tax motorists pay (#1.50) from every litre of petrol bought please let's ask him what happens to the money paid over time

It's only in Nigeria you provide for yourself everytin u need even when yo have a government.

Water=you pay for borehole

Road=you pay toll fee

Electricity=you pay for fuel so that generator can work

To surf the internet =no free wifi,you need to buy your data and if you are not careful social media bill sponsored by Apc senators sends you to jail on top your own data o

To watch cable tv=you pay dstv,startime or gotv

Yet they want igbos to stay in such a hopeless country because they feel they've been too nice to us.

Nigerians should go checkout how Libyans lived prior to moamar gadaffi's death. Anyways Remita(remi+tinubu) will be incharge of the tolling.

I'm still waiting for the day a yoruba man will say tinubu should be hanged for corruption,but whenever it's gej u see them vomiting crap from their decayed mouth

The money tinubu+obasanjo stole while in govt is enough to fix all our roads
this guy needs a serious headryer treatment...what has Fashola statements got to do with you calling the Yorubas bigot. It seems the little knowledge you have is channel to a wrong direction....enemy of progress

1 Like

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
menabadoo:
my optimism is driving toward improving the lives of the masses and not extorting the little they make for themselves.

In ur own view, u're seeing it from half empty bottle perspective....
Let us just be optimistic.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by adjoviomole(m): 7:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
Dinocarex:

Where is the local government tolls located? Lekki expressway?
That expressway was PPP... Public Private Partnership. Instead of being indebted to the company... Why not just collect tolls for a certain period of time under Cost Base Analysis..

That's just simple economics.

PPP on who's road?..ok let me put it dis way,who owns the lekki toll gate?
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:24pm On Dec 08, 2015
adjoviomole:

PPP on who's road?..ok let me put it dis way,who owns the lekki told gate?

The govt collects its tax.. And the payment is given to the private companies
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
Dinocarex:

In ur own view, u're seeing it from half empty bottle perspective....
Let us just be optimistic.
its multiple taxation man, we already pay this tax on each litre of fuel we buy. Why the toll shiit again? please try to consider other nigeians too. What have they done with the tax they have been receiving before now?
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Franky9584(m): 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
nice idea but my question z who will Mann the project and who will be incharge wen d whole system z corrupt? Nigeria/Nigerians need to be totally sanitized wit adequate checks n balances before embarking on such project.
God bless Nigeria
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:26pm On Dec 08, 2015
erico2k2:

I'm sure if you have to ply that rd to n fro wrk Mon to Fri ur tune of words would be diff. When U say sane could tries check.the govt of these countries tries don't invest their capital it is usually private coy who construct and toll the rd. They tolling usually has a time scale. The govt monitors it's activities.good example is the M60 to Manchester.
We ain't talking of intra-State Roads for goodness sake, rather inter-States Highways! Can you be a Resident of Anambra State and working (on a daily basis) in Lagos State?!
Chill mehn!
grin
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by adjoviomole(m): 7:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
Dinocarex:

The govt collects its tax.. And the payment is given to the private companies

Who own's it na? D govmnt is collecting tax on a property built on its road?
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:27pm On Dec 08, 2015
menabadoo:
its multiple taxation man, we already pay this tax on each litre of fuel we buy. Why the toll shiit again? please try to consider other nigeians too. What have they done with the tax they have been receiving before now?

I understand u perfectly well... I will want to believe that the tax on petrol we buy will be removed.
When there was toll, we didn't pay the tax
When we paid the tax, we didn't pay toll
So, why should this one be different??
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by ikeg7416: 7:28pm On Dec 08, 2015
Anyone that voted for CHANGE, better not cry, complain or say anything.

Enjoy your change grin grin
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:29pm On Dec 08, 2015
idupaul:

First of all ask yourself how well he managed the tolling he set up in LAGOS where the money which was exorbitant was never used to do maintain or even complete the roads...Good as it sounds on paper those who know Fashola know that this is only a ploy to enrich his friends and himself who already run illegal tolling cartels on LAGOS roads
My simple question is; re-introduction of Tolls..... is it a welcome development?!
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
adjoviomole:

Who own's it na? D govmnt is collecting tax on a property built on its road?

Not collecting tax on its own road... Collecting its tax from the company na.
The company is registered, and the govt must collect tax from them.
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 08, 2015
abatically:

Every sane countries have tolls. It is not a bad thing to have tolls and use the funds generated to maintain the roads. Or should we wait for govt every time tongix damaged roads?
cajt we have the roads first before the tolls??...
Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Nobody: 7:31pm On Dec 08, 2015
menabadoo:
Which Tax on fuel abegi? grin
You are buying fuel at a subsidized rate Dude!
grin

3 Likes

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by Dinocarex(m): 7:31pm On Dec 08, 2015
Olukat:
Fashola need to study previous Govts. Policies on this issue.
The absence of a toll gate does not necessarily mean people aren't paying certain amount of money
The FG must review the decision of OBJ administration on the issue, and of course represent it to the senate.
Nigerians are paying with hardship and pains. sad sad sad
More taxation would add to their sufferings

That's what I have bee saying... The tolls has it advantage but they need review of the previous govt. We can't be paying double tax on a thing.

1 Like

Re: Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola by WOCKHARDI(m): 7:32pm On Dec 08, 2015
I knew this will happen. You can guess who the contractors will be.
The previous government was able to build, rehabilitate and maintain many roads without collecting tolls.
Now this government has not even started and their first concern is how to tax the poor road users while they cruise around in their private jets.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Eats Buns As She Empowers 1100 Youths And Women In Kwara / EFCC Officials Cleaning Marks On Houses They Claimed Belong To Fayose / Poll: If Today Was Election Day, Who Would You Vote For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.