Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,217 members, 7,836,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola (771 Views)

Senate Passes Motion To Reintroduce Toll Gates / FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / Breaking: FG To Re-introduce Tolls – Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by MrSmith007: 6:07am On Dec 09, 2015
By Favour Nnabugwu
Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, disclosed yesterday, that the Federal Government will reintroduce toll gates where revenue generated can be channelled towards  sustaining and maintaining quality federal roads. He promised that money generated from the toll gates will be properly accounted for and judiciously put to use.
Fashola, in his maiden press conference at the Ministry of Works in Abuja, also said the former Ministry of Works owes 206 contractors over N2 trillion for which only N13 billion was released to the Ministry out of the N18.132 billion it budgeted for.

Fashola
In the housing sector, the minister also said that the Federal Government would spend N10 billion to build low income housing estates in each of the states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
On toll gates, Fashola said the Federal Government will re-introduce highway tolling to raise additional funds to finance road infrastructure and ensure efficient road maintenance.
His words: “Maintenance would be our watchword. We are setting up a robust maintenance regime to keep our highways in good shape. This shows that tolling is necessary to support government funding. So, it will not be too much if we ask every road user to pay a little to augment government funding for road maintenance.
“It is eminent commonsense for us to find that money. We will use technology; so if you don’t pay cash, you will pay by tokens or tickets and the money is accountable and it will go to the right place. We will manage that fund properly and we will hold those who we put there to account.”
The Minister further said that the Ministry will have to focus on states link roads and roads with the heaviest traffic flow before it will continue with some other ongoing projects.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/fg-to-re-introduce-toll-gates-fashola/
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by MrSmith007: 6:07am On Dec 09, 2015
More hardship..

Changiii!!
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by xreal: 6:10am On Dec 09, 2015
I see sense in its reintroduction ONLY IF it is judiciously used.

I believe BRT Fashola.
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by captainflash(m): 6:12am On Dec 09, 2015
Where are the roads
ni?

Where are the jobs ni?

undecided

Nah only for mouth una the talk, but to put am for action nah Story for the gods..
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by romelady(f): 6:13am On Dec 09, 2015
positive change!
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by gohzieh(m): 6:14am On Dec 09, 2015
Well never a bad idea tho. The british you left it for us are not fools but we chose to demolish it out of selfish reasons and dubious reasons Too.
Well Fashola, has a point if truly the money will be accounted for and used in the furnishing our so called dilapidated, abandoned federal roads.
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by Flets: 6:16am On Dec 09, 2015
It's truly hard being Nigerian. The hardship in the next few years will be unprecedented

More suffering through tools
Increased electricity tariff
Removal of fuel subsidy
Dollar selling for 251 naira
These are all in addition to the current suffering and massive job losses and economic nosedive

And the Nigerian masses have to deal with all these with 18k minimum wage which the governors cant afford to pay.

In developed countries, tolls are on new roads and there are always alternative routes. Interstate roads without alternatives are not tolled. Where dod Fashola get his template.

The masses asked for it.... Fashola's elitist policies in lagos now goes national.
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 09, 2015
Fashola, all over the world you only toll new roads. You do not collect taxes from people to build roads and ask them to pay to use the roads.
I have no problem with you tolling your new or yet to be commenced Calabar Funtua road as soon as you complete it, but tolling Lagos-Ibadan-Ore-Onitsha-PortHarcourt road built by Oyinbo is not tainable. Why must the people always "pay a little"? When is government going to be taking responsibility for herself? For example, the Lagos-Ibadan-Ore-Beni-Asaba-Onitsha-etc is a trans-Africa road (Mombasa-Lagos-Highway), running all the way from Dakar in Senegal to Mombassa in Kenya, where else do you have tolls other than Nigeria

I send my children to private school, because government schools have no quality teachers
I provide my electricty because, as governor for 8 years you could not give light to your state, rather blaming FG
I sank my borehole because as governor for 8 years, you could not supply portable water to the state
I excavated the gutter on my street because you could not build street roads nor provide drainage
I pay monthly fee for refuse collection, a duty that is generally a government responsibility world-over
I pave my street road because for 8 years as governor you did not care, rather planting flowers at my round about
I pay private security guard on my street because as governor for 8 years you could not provide security
I paid 27% of my salary to Lagos State as tax, yet I got no correct tax clearance certificate for same amount because one "Alpha-Beta" is in charge of the process
I I pay toll on Lekki road because my governor concessioned the service to his friends and bond me in for 15 years without option
I pay 5% VAT on all my purchases, yet government cannot tell me what they are doing with the money

Now you want to charge me toll for passing the road built with my taxes, years before you ever thought of going into government. What have you done with all my annual vehicle licence fee, MOT fee, advert fees, radio fees, road worthiness, etc?

PLEASE, OGA FASHOLA, GO BUILD NEW ROADS AND TOLL THEM, LEAVE THE ONES BUILT BY COLONIAL MASTERS!!! IF YOU CANNOT MANAGE THE OFFICES BUHARI HAS SADDLED YOU WITH, KINDLY RESIGN. IT IS NOT BY FORCE TO BE MINISTER.
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by feldido(m): 6:44am On Dec 09, 2015
Always collecting but don't wanna add even a little, and now they want to remove further?

Government policies will always sound good before they start, but in the end, the masses will be the ones to suffer.
Re: FG To Re-introduce Toll Gates —fashola by Mynd44: 7:37am On Dec 09, 2015

(1)

See Crowd That Came Out To Welcome Sen. Buruji Because Of His Court Victory(pics / Lady Brutally Stabbed With Knife & Screwdriver By Robbers In Abuja (Graphic Pics / Gov. Tambuwal Meets Shagari,Promises To Build More Schools In Sokoto(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.