Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,043 members, 7,825,311 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka (2713 Views)

Nigeria Won't Have Survived If GEJ Had Won 2015 Presidential Election – Soyinka / APC Wouldn’t Have Won Without Tinubu –Buhari / Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Tolexander: 7:33am On Dec 09, 2015
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says he does not regret supporting President Muhammadu Buhari during the electioneering, adding that Nigeria would not have survived four more years of former President Goodluck Jonathan’s rule.

Soyinka added that the revelation of stolen loot such as the arms purchase fraud justified his position that Nigeria was being run aground by the last administration.

The Nobel laureate said this during a programme titled: “Channels Book Club” on Channels Television on Tuesday.

The playwright confessed that he used to have a bad impression of Buhari who he once described as a “devil for whom in my calculation, no spoon existed long enough to justify the risk even of an impromptu snack”.

However, Soyinka said many of his trusted companions were able to convince him during the electioneering that Buhari had changed and that the highhandedness that characterised his military rule in the 1980s could not be repeated during a democratic rule.

He said: “We were left with two credible contestants in terms of catchment area for the nation. We had reached, in my view, the bottom. I became convinced that if this country underwent four more years under President Jonathan, the country would run aground completely. I looked at the record and said this cannot go on, this has to stop.

“Then I looked at this man who had contested elections three times before and said he would not contest anymore and then decided to throw his hat in the ring. I talked to people and I said do you know what you’re doing?

“And after weighing all the options, I said let’s try a new one. And since in electoral terms, he was the one, I guardedly, with reservations, announced that no, not a continuation under Jonathan.

“And so very reluctantly, I want this on record, because I made it quite clear, I weighed the two of them and I said this nation stands a better chance under Buhari. And what has been coming out now? Look at all that has been coming out? Look at the figures (loot) which virtually hammer one into the ground just the sheer enormity of the robbery of this nation that is getting exposed progressively. It shows that we did not make a bad choice.”

When asked if he was completely satisfied with Buhari’s six months in office, Soyinka said: “Not totally but Buhari has proven that there is such a thing as a born again democrat.”

Asked his opinion of the recent pro-Biafran agitations, Soyinka said there was a need for the government to meet with pro-Biafran groups to understand the real problem.
The playwright said the government should convoke a fresh National Conference, which would address the feelings of pro-Biafran elements.

The octogenarian said the government could not wish away with idea of Biafra because ideas could not be killed.

He said the government should treat the matter dispassionately as there was nothing evil about secession.

He noted that Nigeria even ceded the Bakassi peninsula to Cameroon.
Soyinka said: “So, let us sit down, let us talk once again about restructuring the nation in a way that no one will want to leave. The agitations, for me, are not surprising. It was expected that it would happen sooner or later.

“So, I am referring to a genuine and authentic National Conference. Not like the one that former President Olusegun Obasanjo called which was meant to try to perpetuate himself in office.

“The one under Jonathan was extensive; it covered lots and lots of ground. It proposed some far-reaching changes, not far-reaching for me, but far-reaching. It is about time we went back to efforts like that; genuine ones like that.”
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/nigeria-wouldnt-have-survived-if-jonathan-had-won-soyinka/

http://www.punchng.com/nigeria-wouldnt-have-survived-if-jonathan-had-won-soyinka/
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Acermoon(m): 7:39am On Dec 09, 2015
Ehen.... Till date Nigeria never survive now... We are just hoping for the best...

And for the conference... Until we have president that's is serious about the conference, the outcome will always be swept under carpet...
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by joseph1832(m): 7:42am On Dec 09, 2015
Yes I have to concur with the professor emeritus. I cringe with fear when I think how this country would have been if GEJ had won the March elections. The impunity was becoming too much to bear.

The manner at which our common wealth was being looted knows no bounds. Everybody was a god in his or her own right, hence, we saw just how people misbehave because they know someone in power. Even Bode George was reputed with saying Jonathan will soon pardon him just like he did Alameiyesegha. I'm sure Alameiyesegha is enjoying his pardon any where he is.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by dplordx(m): 7:43am On Dec 09, 2015
So true: Jonathan squandered $55bn oil money—OBJ - Vanguard

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/jonathan-squandered-55bn-oil-money-obj/

Sulaiman Faults Buhari on Empty Treasury, Says, GEJ left 30 Billion Naira.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/ex-minister-faults-buhari-on-empty-treasury-says-jonathan-left-about-us30bn/

When OBJ was leaving power for UMYA, there was over $65 bill in the treasury, and by the time he died, there was $55b, that doesnt include over $40 billion in the ECA. By the time GEJ left, there was less than a billion dollars.

With these money, GEJ didnt even complete one single Federal road in Biafran land. Not one...and these people keep chanting his praises.
Extremely predictable folks. We thank God for the likes of Shoyinka who stood up for the truth...if GEJ and his goons had succeeded, Nigeria would have been completely wrecked by him, and his Madam Okonjo empress.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by RockMaxi: 7:46am On Dec 09, 2015

Thank you Prof, the handwriting were crystal clear but the paper statistics and economics were confusing. angry

Prof, if Buhari and APC will not implement the CONFAB report of Jonathan's administration then no need doing another one. Development is in stages and it has to start from somewhere.
Dumping that report no matter the shortcoming is in all areas a revelation that we are not ready for the change from the status quo.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Mjshexy(f): 7:46am On Dec 09, 2015
You have said it all sir, GEJ though with a good heart was just a careless sleeping president but thank God for change we collectively fought for. It's well...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:47am On Dec 09, 2015
K
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by drss(m): 7:47am On Dec 09, 2015
Who give a damn about soyinka? If he thinks d northern oligarch will transform d zoo then he has entered one chance because all they wanted was power at all cost.
And north will never convoke any national conference ever.
Let him wait n see wat will happen in 2019.
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by SYDbeatz(m): 7:47am On Dec 09, 2015
whole Soyinka has taken OGOGORO this morning. I don't blame home , the weather is cold. he has never held any political post in his life and all he does is condemn people.#mr OGOGORO

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by drshrewd: 7:49am On Dec 09, 2015

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 09, 2015
So Nigeria under Buhari has become an Eldorado? Tell me something!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Obijulius: 7:51am On Dec 09, 2015
Coming from a parasite I am not surprised.

So this our current state na existence. Abeg talk like a normal human being. Hypocritical people, always turning the blind eye while truth stares at them everyday.

I hope your car runs on water and your house is solar powered.

Masturbating over mediocrity.

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by babyfaceafrica: 7:53am On Dec 09, 2015
drss:
Who give a damn about soyinka? If he thinks d northern oligarch will transform d zoo then he has entered one chance. Let him wait n see wat will happen in 2019.
if you can achieved just 10 percent of what prof has Achieved,you try

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Yomboy4ever(m): 7:53am On Dec 09, 2015
Bittter truth, prof you are on point. with all dis revelations of stealing during his tenure dey would have sold nigeria to Gabon and GEj we tell us he knws nothing about it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by babyfaceafrica: 7:53am On Dec 09, 2015
Hmm
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by permsec: 7:54am On Dec 09, 2015
Nigerians under Buhari are enjoying fuel scarcity.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by RichDad1(m): 7:54am On Dec 09, 2015
Spot on Prof.
GEJ and his gang of thieves was destined to ruin this country. All thanks to APC and PMB/PYO for the rescue mission.
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Obijulius: 7:55am On Dec 09, 2015
Which country where the region that produces 100% of your revenue is underdeveloped because of the parasitic nature of some people.

Please divide Nigeria already so you can have your paradise.

RichDad1:
Spot on Prof.
GEJ and his gang of thieves was destined to ruin this country. All thanks to APC and PMB/PYO for the rescue mission.
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Yomboy4ever(m): 7:55am On Dec 09, 2015
babyfaceafrica:
if you can achieved just 10 percent of what prof has Achieved,you try

Abi 1 percent ? Wher him go see 10..
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by babyfaceafrica: 7:58am On Dec 09, 2015
Yomboy4ever:

Abi 1 percent ? Wher him go see 10..
lolz...make I give am false hope naw
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by DayoAdedapo: 7:58am On Dec 09, 2015
Ofcourse we know the hausas were already preparing for war.
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by drss(m): 8:01am On Dec 09, 2015
dplordx:
So true: Jonathan squandered $55bn oil money—OBJ - Vanguard

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/jonathan-squandered-55bn-oil-money-obj/

Sulaiman Faults Buhari on Empty Treasury, Says, GEJ left 30 Billion Naira.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/ex-minister-faults-buhari-on-empty-treasury-says-jonathan-left-about-us30bn/

When OBJ was leaving power for UMYA, there was over $65 bill in the treasury, and by the time he died, there was $55b, that doesnt include over $40 billion in the ECA. By the time GEJ left, there was less than a billion dollars.

With these money, GEJ didnt even complete one single Federal road in Biafran land. Not one...and these people keep chanting his praises.
Extremely predictable folks. We thank God for the likes of Shoyinka who stood up for the truth...if GEJ and his goons had succeeded, Nigeria would have been completely wrecked by him, and his Madam Okonjo empress.
whether una like am or not, GEJ remains d best leader nigeria (zoo) ever had.
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by rhymestech: 8:01am On Dec 09, 2015
God just delivered us at the right time from the clueless one who would have plunged us into total slavery with his team of thieves and economy destroyers.

GEJ has a lot to answer especially on the arms gate and i feel in a sane society he should be prepping himself for a very long jail term.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Iroh88(m): 8:05am On Dec 09, 2015
Watch the ever confused IPOD louts and the Epileptic Donkeys who form the bulk of the Ogogoro Merchant's support base, the same folks who were clapping for the erudite Emeritus Prof yesterday, call him all sort of names today.

Soyinka, at this age, the least you can do for us is constantly speak the truth just as you have now. Posterity would favour you when taking account.

Jonathan was nothing short of an atomic bomb primed to detonate had Nigerians pushed the red button in the last election- but thank God for his grace, we rather used our thumbs to defuse the bomb.

Nigeria will definitely arise from the ashes again. I believe.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by porka: 8:10am On Dec 09, 2015
Obviously, Nigeria would have been in flames by now. They would been bombing everywhere just to confirm their hypothesis.

They were preparing for war.

But now they have got what they wanted. War averted, they have to continue the electioneering propaganda since they don't even know what to do.

Prof. Soyinka, is Nigeria surviving now? If it is surviving, why the mention of 'restructuring' again?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by EasternLeopard: 8:12am On Dec 09, 2015
porka:
Obviously, Nigeria would have been in flames by now. They would been bombing everywhere just to confirm their hypothesis.

They were preparing for war.

But now they have got what they wanted. War averted, they have to continue the electioneering propaganda since they don't even know what to do.

Very true
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by skimarvel: 8:23am On Dec 09, 2015
Is this old man not aware that ministerial slots have been filled and he won't be getting any posts despite all the gibberish he is spewing!!!
Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by Iroh88(m): 8:24am On Dec 09, 2015
Look at the figures (loot) which virtually hammer one into the ground just the sheer enormity of the robbery of this nation that is getting exposed progressively. It shows that we did not make a bad choice.”
Tell them sir!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by vedaxcool(m): 8:26am On Dec 09, 2015
I keep saying God saved Nigeria from imminent demise.

This is one prophecy that ie true:

GEJ DESTINY IS TO BANKRUPT NIGERIA.

TUNDE BAKARE

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by DecemberIV: 8:29am On Dec 09, 2015
We would have gone extinct because he must rule by force whether BH becomes the new army or not.

#JonaMustFaceJustice

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by DecemberIV: 8:31am On Dec 09, 2015
doctokwus:
@eye4eye,I am trying to garner support for people of like minds,off and online to ask the FG of Muhammadu Buhari why GEJ has still not been invited by the efcc and even DSS to explain the many scams under his watch and the preventable loss of lives of well trained soldiers, under his watch while weapon funds were shared like a bazaar btw those in and out of power.

Please find your own way for these our voices to grow loud everyday to question all the relevant authorities as to why gej is travelling the world, exercising freedoms while he should be confined and questioned like they have done to dasuki,dokpesi,diezanni in London, etc.

Even if nland bans me,i wud not relent and other God fearing and just humans too, should not, until gej is made to pay for the various crimes he committed against Nigeria.

Even if he is given the benefit of innocent till proven guilty, he should @least be in a confined space by now answering all questions that have cropped up concerning how he supervised the rap e of Nigeria.

As long as gej is walking free,we should have no sleep until he is brought to justice!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Wouldn’t Have Survived If Jonathan Had Won – Soyinka by GMan650(m): 8:34am On Dec 09, 2015
Werrin dz one dey talk...... he go just dey spew thrash anyhow.

Wetin him(Soyinka) don do to help Nigerians? Ion like him at all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo 2016: Technically PDP Has No Governorship Candidate / Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com / Aso Rock Boils As BBC Shocks The World, Calls For Buhari’s Immediate Resignation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.