Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,002 members, 7,817,964 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. (24651 Views)

More Than 60 Million Nigerians Are Unbanked – World Bank / World Bank Says Nigeria Will Soon Recover From Economic Recession / America Now World's Biggest Producer Of Crude Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by nezer83: 4:38pm On Dec 09, 2015
BRAV0O:
Lalasticlala what if this kind of thread debate on front page, apart from every one of us supporting this current administration there are some certain truth need to be told if nigerians will still suffer for fuel with subsidy active then the subsidy need to be scrap asap let's know where we are going pls, [b]and for those saying some jargons about the past subsidy protest I beg u to get ur facts right and don't be quick to point finger at anyone , I believe that ur common sense should tell you the protest is political motivated and was hijack by those benefiting from the so called subsidy and Gej cabinet are not being straight forward...
[/b]

My friend you just spilled out jagons.
Since the president and his now supporters believed the the subsidy is a scam, they have no moral right to remove it.
Afterall, that is the only benefit of the common man.
It will be easier for a Carmel to pass through a needle eye than for the buhari administration to remove the subsidy.
You cannot bit the fingers that feed you.

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by dabossman(m): 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2015
Koolmexxi:
But how can he remove what he doesn't know about?? It's was the same APC dat led a massive #OCCUPYEVERYWHERE# dat almost crippled the nation and even termed it a scam. . For almost one month now d same nigerians have been buying fuel at no less than #150 a litre while the govt is still blaming marketers, marketers are blaming central bank and vice versa. Since dey have promised us change, the best option like someone already said is to pay off the marketers and scrap the thing once and for all or for the NNPC should look for a way to import fuel themselves since they have sworn to play politics with our refineries. I wonder how and why Nigerians have suddenly gone dumb and numb at the same time.

The GEJ led government tried to remove fuel subsidy in January 2012 and Nigerians resisted the move largely because they felt the government was insincere and was only going to pass on hardship to Nigerians by allowing fuel prices to increase by almost 50%. The government then said they would introduce palliatives to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal. They introduced Sure-P, promised mass transit buses and even said they would try to get refineries working. But how well did they do any of these.

The main reason Nigerians kicked against fuel subsidy removal was because there was a lack of trust. All the GEJ led government needed to do was win the trust of Nigerians by taking sincere actions.

Now ask yourself, if the FG then had used the two years between 2012-2014 to rigorously and sincerely put all the palliatives they promised in place to ensure that if subsidy is eventually removed, Nigerians would not complain as much as they did in 2012, and they had carried out mass enlightenment to educate the populace about the fuel subsidy issue even to the grassroots and win over more converts to the subsidy removal side, wouldn't it have been possible to remove the subsidy say at the end of 2014? If they had spent half the funds they spent on the media bashing of Buhari prior to the last elections to educate the uninformed about the long-term benefits of fuel subsidy removal maybe it would have been removed long before now. Mind you, the same FG reduced fuel prices from N97 to N87 in January 2015 due to crashing oil prices.

I can't blame Occupy Nigeria. The FG under any leadership including Buhari's government must learn to carry the citizenry along when introducing policies that may affect them adversely short term or long term. If I'm to tell my wife to endure and drink garri for a better tomorrow, I must be sincere enough to show her my plan towards achieving that better tomorrow. I can't just tell her from today you will be drinking garri, when I'm busy enjoying isi ewu and heineken in one corner.

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 4:55pm On Dec 09, 2015
jojomario:
End users are currently buying at #130- #150. The most important is the availability of the product. If the removal will weed the corrupt individual, then, SAY NO TO SUBSIDY.
FOR WHEREEE? HE MUST RETAIN IT BY FIRE BY FORCE! IS IT NOT BECAUSE OF SUBSIDY THE BLOODY HYPOCRITE SABOTAGE JONATHAN GOVERNMENT?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 4:57pm On Dec 09, 2015
makizee:
I agree, we cannot continue to spend trillions of naira on so called subsidy while critical infrastructures continue to fail, with the cheap price of oil, the price of pms is not expected to be up to 100 naira. the time is now
DID YOU AGREE DURING JONATHAN REGIME?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 4:59pm On Dec 09, 2015
liberty300:
pls, educate us Mr. All-knowing..now you dummos have lead us to this doom, you want to wriggle your way out
YOU GET TIME WEY YOU DEY REPLY THE ZOMBIE!

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2015
Naughtysite:
Let us be sincere about this fuel issue. For the past one month, i like most Nigerians have been buying fuel between N130 to N300 per litre.

If subsidy is removed, at what price will a Nigerian buy fuel ? If it isnt more than N130, let subsidy be scrapped and let MARKET FORCES, and PRICE OF CRUDE determine the price of fuel..

What a wise government should do at this point is to pay off the outstanding amounts owed importers of fuel and inform them that subsidy ceases to exist in December 2015

Then Nigerians will witness how massively these importers will import the product such that competition among them will drive the price downwards..
ARE YOU SINCER DURING JONATHAN REGIME?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 09, 2015
RockMaxi:

I can't believe my eyes that people like you still exist with this sentimental and uninformed mindset about subsidy under GEJ.
he's saying the truth leave sentiment aside
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 5:04pm On Dec 09, 2015
1shortblackboy:
please what are u getting at
IGNORE THE ZOMBIE!
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Ahmeduana(m): 5:07pm On Dec 09, 2015
waterhouse071:
Nigerians are obviously not benefiting from the subsidy. Imagine the subsidized fuel is currently being diverted to neighboring countries by greedy marketers.
DID YOU LISTEN WHEN NGOZI OKONJO EWEALA TOLD YOU THE BITTER TRUTH? NO, TRIBALISM AND RELIGION BIGOTISM WON'T ALLOW!
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ahmeduana:

Ask him .This was the same thing the previous government wanted to do yet they protested. It will be foolish for same government that kicked against subsidy removal yet they want it removed. nonsense politicians playing with people's emotion for cheap gain
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by mysteriouspee: 7:58pm On Dec 09, 2015
ibietela2:

Provide proof were $35B is missing? Do you know how much that is?

I'll leave you to determine that yourself. I know u're against the present administration so nothing I say would really make sense to you. So i'll let the matter rest.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Dec 09, 2015
allanphash7:
You are right bro

Japan has no single natural resources and yet they still survive

They even have a problem with insufficient land mass.

They are masters of innovation..

1 Like

Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 09, 2015
Ahmeduana:

Jonathan removed subsidy and people protested. He listened to them. I was in support of its removal and i still am in support.

So whats your question again ?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by harsysky(m): 1:00am On Dec 10, 2015
RockMaxi:

I can't believe my eyes that people like you still exist with this sentimental and uninformed mindset about subsidy under GEJ.

Most people have labelled you a hypocrite, but they are wrong. I've gone through virtually all the comments on this thread to see if you will come out to defend what you've just typed but to no avail.

What you're is actually someone who is bored and craves cheap attention but couldn't get it at your resident, so you decided to come on here, all with your ignorance of the said topic, to comment balderdash! Read up or research more on fuel subsidy, please.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by drss(m): 8:27am On Dec 10, 2015
buari dollaard has no right to remove fuel subsidies after sabotaging GEJ on fuel subsidies.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 12, 2015
mysteriouspee:

Your analysis is very faulty, why do you assume that our currency will keep falling against the dollar? Are you saying our economic situation will only get worse? It's our exchange rate that keeps making petrol price soar. If sound economic policies are put in place, then it will be win win for us because prices of all commodities will drop.

https://www.nairaland.com/2795958/naira-finally-crashes-260-per

With the above, is my analysis still wrong ? Your leader is not an economic expert but he feels he is.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by martinosi: 8:07pm On Dec 12, 2015
omohayek:

I don't see how the UK's provision of a welfare state supports the maintenance of a corrupt fuel subsidy system that mainly benefits well-connected marketers, affluent urbanites and skillful smugglers. The two things have nothing to do with each other: if anything, abolishing the fuel subsidies would free up funds to provide the poorest Nigerians with real welfare services like basic healthcare and free education for their children.

This Right here written above ^^^^^^^?..show me you are talking out of your a*** sometimes i wonder what planet some of you guys are on...How can you have all the So called degree's and dont know sh** about how a basic Government Industry-Social Protection Mechanism works.
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by martinosi: 8:11pm On Dec 12, 2015
omohayek:

I don't see how the UK's provision of a welfare state supports the maintenance of a corrupt fuel subsidy system that mainly benefits well-connected marketers, affluent urbanites and skillful smugglers. The two things have nothing to do with each other: if anything, abolishing the fuel subsidies would free up funds to provide the poorest Nigerians with real welfare services like basic healthcare and free education for their children.

When Nigerians Refineries are working at 100% Capacity and producing Petrol and other refined products then they can remove
the subsidy but at that point the the fuel price with be very cheap due to the export potential of the surplus
production.....
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by martinosi: 8:13pm On Dec 12, 2015
omohayek:

Well Reality and Fantasy are mils apart in many African Countries Nigerian included....You need to understand how
basic economic structures work....
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by omohayek: 9:42pm On Dec 12, 2015
martinosi:

Well Reality and Fantasy are mils apart in many African Countries Nigerian included....You need to understand how
basic economic structures work....

I do, and in all likelihood far better than you do - I studied economics at university, spent many years working in finance, and have done a great deal of research on economic history. What are your credentials, sir?
Re: Remove Fuel Subsidy Now! World Bank Tells Buhari. by martinosi: 3:32pm On Dec 16, 2015
omohayek:

I do, and in all likelihood far better than you do - I studied economics at university, spent many years working in finance, and have done a great deal of research on economic history. What are your credentials, sir?

and you dont know the first basic mechanism of a welfare state.. i dont have time to debate
with people like you...always talking out of your ass***

My Credentials....you want to know them...does not even matter....look through
all my post and you will get a better picture..it speaks for itself....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kaduna, Dangote, Boi, Others To Acquire PAN – El-rufai / Domiciliary A/C Opening Requirements & Steps For Top 5 Nigerian Banks / Naira Depreciates Barely 48 Hours After It Strengthened Against The Dollar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.