Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,837 members, 7,862,749 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:35 AM

Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination (1239 Views)

Demetria Obilor, The Nigerian-American Traffic Reporter (Photos) / Kay Switch And His Weird Hairdo Throws Shot At Wizkid Grammy Nomination [PICS] / Nigerian-American Artist, Jidenna Arrives Nigeria - See First Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:02am On Dec 09, 2015
Singer Jidenna has taken to Twitter to react to his nomination for the Grammy Awards.

Jidenna Theodore Mobisson, a Nigerian-American singer of Igbo descent, took to Twitter with elation following his nomination for a Grammy Award.

READ MORE: See full Grammy Nomination list

He said:

"Our 1st Grammy Nomination. I'm honored! I guess I need to start looking for a date now."

The 30-year-old got a nomination for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for his hit single 'Classic Man' featuring Roman GianArthur.

Other songs nominated in the category are:

•One Man Can Change The World" - Big Sean Featuring Kanye West & John Legend

•"Glory" - Common & John Legend

•"These Walls" - Kendrick Lamar Featuring Bilal, Anna Wise & Thundercat

•"Only" - Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown

Classic Man is one of two singles released by Jidenna this year, the other being 'Yoga', featuring Janelle Monae.

He won the best new artist at the 2015 Soul Train Awards.

cc: lalasticlala
http://pulse.ng/celebrities/jidenna-nigerian-american-bags-1st-grammy-nomination-id4442083.html

Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2015
7 facts you should know about Nigeria-born American singer, Jidenna

* He was born Jidenna Theodore Mobisson in Winsconsin, America.

* His mum, Tama Mobisson is an America-born Accountant while his dad, Oliver Mobisson is a Nigerian and one-time Professor of Computer Science at Enugu State University.

* Jidenna’s name in Igbo Language means to ’embrace the father’

* He is the youngest of four siblings.

* He graduated from Stanford Univeristy in 2008 with a BA in Comparative Studies in Race and Ethnicity

* Jidenna is a founding member of Fear and Fancy, a social club that began in California in 2006.

* He released his first ever single ‘Classic Man‘ in February 2015.
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by Queennikky(f): 9:10am On Dec 09, 2015
He look cute
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by bewla(m): 9:13am On Dec 09, 2015
Some people may like u but i don't ardor u simply because don't respect us back home niaja
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by jaymejate: 9:14am On Dec 09, 2015
Na lie, na America he go claim so we know him not

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:16am On Dec 09, 2015
He was on the cover Page of Mode Men Magazine Sept. 2015

'Classic Man' singer covers a dapper edition of Mode Men Magazine Sept. 2015 issue

Jidenna'Classic Man' singer covers a dapper edition of Mode Men Magazine Sept. 2015 issue
Jidenna makes a dapper gentleman statement on Mode Men magazine cover... Take a look

Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:16am On Dec 09, 2015
Queennikky:
He look cute

no doubt

proudly naija blood

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:17am On Dec 09, 2015
look this dude is so proud of His naija roots ok

jaymejate:
Na lie, na America he go claim so we know him not
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by captainflash(m): 9:35am On Dec 09, 2015
From an ipob community

cheesy
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:37am On Dec 09, 2015
captainflash:
From an ipob community

cheesy

please dont bring ipad here oh

or MIB
Re: Nigerian-american Bags 1st Grammy Nomination by robosky02(m): 9:43am On Dec 09, 2015
Jidenna has confirmed that he is on course to work on a new song with Wizkid.

The Nigerian-born American singer is currently having his best career moments yet, after his single ‘Classic man’ became a hit and catapulted him into worldwide charts.

Jidenna recently shot an exclusive interview with media correspondent Raro Lae, and opened up to her about future plans. These plans included a collaboration in the works with Nigerian Afrobeats superstar, Wizkid.

“I met a lot of people recently, one of them is Wizkid, so we definitely have something coming up.” Jidenna said.

The new song is yet to be recorded, but Jidenna is open to any location for the process, further revealing that the venue is yet to be decided.

“We travel a lot, so whether it’s L.A, or London, or Lagos, we’ll figure it out, I don’t know.” He explained further.

Jidenna also recently named Wizkid as the Nigerian act he is feeling at the moment.

Jidenna and Wizkid will be collaborating soon.
(Press)

“I love his voice, I love his production team. I was just hanging out with them recently.” Jidenna told Billboard in a recent interview.

“I’m looking forward to what’s to come, and I love his catalog already." He further said.

Jidenna and Wizkid performed on stage at the Africkan Festival back in July, and as it stands now, a collaboration between both acts is most definitely a highly anticipated one.

Jidenna also further disclosed that he is influenced by Nigeria’s Highlife music which is the first music he ever listened to as a child.

Jidenna had been in the news, finding himself as the topic of conversation earlier in July as he opened up about his upbringing and being biracial with a Nigerian-born father. In a recent interview with DJ Vlad, he details some of the dangers he faced traveling to his father's homeland simply based upon the color of his skin.

He has since cleared the air on his controversial comments on DJ Vlad in June. Jidenna further clarified his statement.

play
Jidenna's father is Oliver Mobisson, a professor of computer science
(Instagram)

"What I said was...I was referring to my mixed heritage, and being a man who may be perceived as more valuable because you are light skinned, because you look really closer to a white man which all around the world, a white man, the white man is perceived as more valuable. Unfortunately light skinned is often perceived as more valuable. So my comments were referring to that. When I went home to bury my father it was the highest kidnapping time in our area, the area that I am from, the South East Nigeria. So my family in the village was concerned about me burying my father so they said "look you have to take extra precautions this time because one-you are a foreigner, you are coming from America, and then two- your appearance is going to make you a target" he said.

Jidenna has been very vocal about Nigeria. Last month he was interviewed on The Breakfast Club alongside Janelle Monae and the group Deep Cotton.

play
Jidenna is signed to Wondaland Records owned by Janelle Monae
(Genius)

After speaking about The Wondaland's group effort 'The Eephus EP' the discussion turned towards country of origin. Jidenna revealed Nigeria is a proud country where excellence is demanded.

"Nigeria is a very proud place, and it's also a place where you try to humiliate if you don't see excellence. I always tell the story of my father. I remember coming to America, in the US you get a highest score on the test and your teacher says "bring it home to your parents. show your parents." So I brought it home to my father like "dad I got a 98 on my math exam", and he said "ah ah 98? Where are the other two points? Go there and bring them back, then I will celebrate with you" narrated Jidenna.

play
Jidenna's father is Oliver Mobisson, a professor of computer science
(Instagram)

"And that's how I grew up with everything I did, basketball, soccer, football. Everything that I played. In Nigeria its standard to try to check somebody if you see them making misstep. With the words that I said I didn't make a miscalculation in my experience, but I can see how certain people perceive that" he further said.

cc: lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

And Is That Big, 25years Old Rita Ora And Her Nipples Hit The Beach (photos) / Tonto-Dike-Churchill,Lilian Esoro-Ubi:Top 10 Celebrity Wedding Of 2015(pics) / Media Personality Toke Makinwa Slays In Agbada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.