Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,979 members, 7,810,717 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com (3558 Views)

Sex For Appointment Scandal Rocks Presidency - Naij.com / Confusion In Kogi Over ‘Resurrection’ Of Audu Abubakar - Naij.com / Fashola’s Trouble Deepens As Group Lists His Sins In Petition To Senate-Naij.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 10, 2015
Is the BBC biased against Biafra? In the first of a series of articles, author Herbert Ewke-Ekwer argues that the BBC treats activists seeking Scottish independence with far more privilege than Biafran activists, and by doing so, privileges Nigeria as a state.

Biafra and Scotland, different kinds of independence movements?

The British Broadcasting Corporation describes Scottish people in pursuit of independence from the United Kingdom as “Scottish nationalists”.

Any researcher can find this characterisation by examining the BBC’s well-stacked library of broadcasts and publications on the subject.

This is why Alex Salmond, for instance, would be designated as “Scottish nationalist” or “former Scottish nationalist leader,” and Nicola Surgeon is described as “Scottish nationalist” or “Scottish nationalist leader.”

Democratically chose to join with together with England

Scots number 5 million in population and had joined England in 1707 out of their own choice (democratically) to form the UK.

As the latter subsequently conquered most of the world to build the British Empire, Scots played a critical role in the enterprise that belied their much smaller population.

This ensured that they, now a constituent nation of the UK, became crucial beneficiaries of the stupendous harvest returns of global conquests and occupations.

As a result, Scots indeed became the most unlikely candidates in 2014 who would wish to declare their independence from this 300-year-old immensely fruitful union.

The BBC, on the other hand, categorises the 50 million people of Biafra, who have sought their independence from Nigeria since the 29 May 1966 launch date of the Igbo genocide as “secessionists”.

In tune, the BBC describes Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, the founding leader of the Biafran independence movement, as a “secessionist leader” – a tag it wouldn’t dare use to refer to either Alex Salmond or Nicola Surgeon!

Similarly, whilst the BBC utilises “secessionist” to refer to hundreds of thousands of Biafran demonstrators across Biafra and elsewhere in the world currently involved in historic peaceful marches for independence.

It wouldn’t dare employ such a term in describing those Scots who voted “Yes” during the September 2014 referendum on Scottish independence.

The latter are cited as “nationalists” or “supporters of Scottish independence”.

Choice: primary vs privilege

Some would probably wonder what differences the BBC’s choice of terminologies makes: aren’t these terms broadly synonymous – indicating the desire of two peoples, Biafrans and Scots, to declare their rights for self-determination or independence from Nigeria and Britain respectively?

No, not totally, except to the cursory observer. In the Scottish example, the BBC is almost straining itself to the hilt to emphasise that the Scots are the primary, actuating agency in deciding to exercise this right for freedom from Britain.

If one is unaware that the United Nations regards this right for all peoples as inalienable, the thrust of the BBC’s coverage on the Scots has surely demonstrated this as such to its listeners, viewers and readers.

In contrast to the Scots, the BBC’s approach to Biafran independence or self-determination couldn’t be starker.

Here, by harping on its worn “secessionist” signature, and the latter’s evidently overarching territorial “decoupling” overtones, the BBC privileges the Nigeria state.

Nigeria is a state the conqueror Britain imposed arbitrarily on scores of subjugated African nations and peoples in the aftermath of the pan-European leaders’ infamous 1884-1885 Berlin-conquest conference on Africa.

Is Nigeria a colonial holdover?

Nigeria is arguably the most notorious of Africa’s “Berlin states”. This is the state that carried out the Igbo genocide, 29 May 1966-12 January 1970, the foundational genocide of post-(European)conquest state, murdering 3.1 million Igbo or one-quarter of this nation’s population.

The genocide inaugurated Africa’s current age of pestilence during which 12 million additional Africans have been murdered in further genocide in Rwanda (1994), Zaïre/Democratic Republic of the Congo (variously, since the late 1990s) and Darfur/Nuba Mountains/South Kordofan (all in Sudan since 2003) and in other wars in Africa.

Herbert Ekwe-Ekwe is the author of Longest Genocide – Since 29 May 1966.

Source: https://www.naij.com/661487-bbc-biased-biafra.html

2 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 8:30am On Dec 10, 2015
This is one the reason why I unfollowed naij.com. the owner should be arrested as soon as possible...they are enemy of the state.they are always against naija.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:
This is one the reason why I unfollowed naij.com. the owner should be arrested as soon as possible...they are enemy of the state.they are always against naija.

Why not counter with facts ?

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by coolzeal(m): 8:36am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:
Maybe you should support the senators to pass the Anti-Social Media Bill to restrict information in your bias little enclave. You can't simply force someone to be Nigerian... It's sicken.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

Please tell us what is not true on the article above.
It does not matter, people hate truth because truth is bitter.
The article above is a BITTER TRUTH.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by omenka(m): 8:40am On Dec 10, 2015
Someone should stick feeding bottles filled with milk in mouths of these babies already. They cry too damn much. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 10, 2015
The first commenter is a bushrat

5 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 8:46am On Dec 10, 2015
As usual. Persecution complex. Everybody is against the Igbos.
Even the U.K.
Soon the US, then Russia, China, India, Brazil... Planet Mars, Jupiter
didn't expect anything different though.

2 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by bosedekemi(f): 8:51am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

Shallow outburst undecided Present a superior argument or remain silent forever embarassed I do not understand why Africans like being slaves...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by StOla: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2015
The propaganda report did not mention that a war resulted from the secession attempts by Biafra and that the Biafrans even attempted to venture into Nigeria?

It also avoids revealing that the millions who died are as a result of a failed Biafran state being unable to feed its own population during a war it was so boastful about at the onset, but depending on charities and the hope that such propaganda would illicit more sympathy and support from world powers.

The propaganda report also mentions 3million Biafran deaths, the revisionist figure just like the revised 50 thousand pogrom deaths manufactured to justify why secession was necessary when the war began to look like a wasted effort, but only confirm the irresponsibility of the Biafrans not having learnt anything about the futility of their schemes.

In tune, the BBC describes Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, the founding leader of the Biafran independence movement, as a “secessionist leader” – a tag it wouldn’t dare use to refer to either Alex Salmond or Nicola Surgeon!

Imagine Ojukwu being refined and packaged as a leader of Biafran independence movement. Was he a parliamentarian who was pushing for a legitimate independence? Was he an activist who was campaigning on the streets for an independent Biafran nation?
Was he not a soldier and a rebel who seceded and boasted he had the best military known to the black race?

It is an insult to the sensibilities of all students of history to try to compare a civil campaign by the Scots to the rebellion of Ojukwu. The tag given to Ojukwu by the BBC is well justified.

7 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by RisingSun1: 9:01am On Dec 10, 2015
BBC is the mouthpiece of Britain,the country that masterminded the Biafran genocide.

Britain is evil

I have come to the conclusion that there is no media organisation in the world that is objective.All of them have one thing or the other they are projecting.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by fastjett: 9:02am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:
Are you saying that Biafra that existed b4 nigeria does not have ryt for their own independence.
Nobody even know you if you like unfollow them 1 million times, the truth must be told and at the Biafra will be restored.

6 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 9:10am On Dec 10, 2015
bosedekemi:

Shallow outburst undecided Present a superior argument or remain silent forever embarassed I do not understand why Africans living ve being slaves...
U are just an uninformed girl,u should go to the romance section.

4 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 9:15am On Dec 10, 2015
FREEDOM4BIAFRA:

Why not counter with facts ?
Lol,I don't even read it.time is precious to waste on such article.
I read better things,and not craps.

...and I am a fact finder,not craps reader.

3 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by mulattoclaro(m): 9:17am On Dec 10, 2015
Noise makers. Everybody hates you mentality. When una go get sense.

3 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by nertonert: 9:19am On Dec 10, 2015
StOla:
The propaganda report did not mention that a war resulted from the secession attempts by Biafra and that the Biafrans even attempted to venture into Nigeria?

It also avoids revealing that the millions who died are as a result of a failed Biafran state being unable to feed its own population during a war it was so boastful about at the onset, but depending on charities and the hope that such propaganda would illicit more sympathy and support from world powers.

The propaganda report also mentions 3million Biafran deaths, the revisionist figure just like the revised 50 thousand pogrom deaths manufactured to justify why secession was necessary when the war began to look like a wasted effort, but only confirm the irresponsibility of the Biafrans not having learnt anything about the futility of their schemes.

This cheap propaganda is only for the gaulible.

Did the report also state that Nigeria is a result of the illegal amalgamation of unconsenting indigenous ethnic nationalities without their consent?

Did the report state that Biafra was the direct result of breaking the confederal agreement the Government of Gowon signed in Ghana?

Did the report state that after Biafra was declared, Nigeria could have chosen other peaceful ways of resolving the dispute than rushing to war?

Finally

Did the report state that it is the inalienable right of man or a people to self determination?

Personally, I think that Britain is still ashamed of its role in the Biafran war saga. Britain should have stayed neutral. Instead, Britain supplied ammunition to Nigeria, discouraged other countries from recognising Biafra, blockaded the sea to prevent Ojukwu from bringing in food and ammunition. Britain won the war for Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by Nobody: 9:27am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

Then why make a comment when you're lazy to read? Is it sane to you?

3 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by cokoduck: 9:35am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:
fvck you
Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:37am On Dec 10, 2015
If u like die, if u like, cry...u are secessionists. Did the Scottish go abt destroying properties and looting shops because they wanted out?

Monkeys!
Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 9:39am On Dec 10, 2015
cokoduck:

fvck you
Look,ur fuc just struck through your mother buttt hole --------------:> shocked she moans!

undecided

4 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by StOla: 9:40am On Dec 10, 2015
nertonert:

This cheap propaganda is only for the gaulible.

Did the report also state that Nigeria is a result of the illegal amalgamation of unconsenting indigenous ethnic nationalities without their consent?

Did the report state that Biafra was the direct result of breaking the confederal agreement the Government of Gowon signed in Ghana?

Did the report state that after Biafra was declared, Nigeria could have chosen other peaceful ways of resolving the dispute than rushing to war?

Finally

Did the report state that it is the inalienable right of man or a people to self determination?

Personally, I think that Britain is still ashamed of its role in the Biafran war saga. Britain should have stayed neutral. Instead, Britain supplied ammunition to Nigeria, discouraged other countries from recognising Biafra, blockaded the sea to prevent Ojukwu from bringing in food and ammunition. Britain won the war for Nigeria.

The sea that belongs to Nigeria? Is Igbo land anywhere near the sea?

Britain won the war for Nigeria, while mercenaries lost the war for Biafra, right?

Peaceful ways like welcoming the invading Biafran Army into the MidWest or declaring a trade treaty for dropping bombs on Lagos?

You call a declaration of war a dispute?

4 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by cokoduck: 9:49am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

Then STFU and run into your shell, any time you get confronted with presentation of facts you dolts just cook up an excuse.

1 Like

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by cokoduck: 9:53am On Dec 10, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
If u like die, if u like, cry...u are secessionists. Did the Scottish go abt destroying properties and looting shops because they wanted out?

Monkeys!
Monkey in the zoo, when did Biafrans loot your shop, you don't even have one, monkey and babbon in a zoo.

3 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:54am On Dec 10, 2015
cokoduck:
Monkey in the zoo, when did Biafrans loot your shop, you don't even have one, monkey and babbon in a zoo.
this ur national anthem is getting boring... Try and get a new one.

5 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by cokoduck: 9:54am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

Look,ur fuc just struck through your mother buttt hole --------------:> shocked she moans!

undecided
This shows how "responsible" the monkeys and baboon in the zoo are

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:56am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:

undecided

have u done your WAEC? I mean, how old are u? Lol

1 Like

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by nertonert: 10:24am On Dec 10, 2015
StOla:

The sea that belongs to Nigeria? Is Igbo land anywhere near the sea?

Britain won the war for Nigeria, while mercenaries lost the war for Biafra, right?

Peaceful ways like welcoming the invading Biafran Army into the MidWest or declaring a trade treaty for dropping bombs on Lagos?

You call a declaration of war a dispute?

How did the sea belong to Nigeria? That body of waster was called the bight of Biafra. It belonged to Biafra long before there was anything like Nigeria. Even if the sea belonged to Nigeria, British warships should not have been there. Britain should have stayed out of the Nigerian/Biafran matter which was not their business.

Mercenaries fought in both sides of the war, what won the war for Nigeria was the British warships which prevented Ojukwu from selling oil and bringing in food and ammunition. You think Gowon could have fought the war with Groundbut pyramids?

The Biafran army that went to the Midwest did that after Nigeria started war.

Ojukwu declared Biafra not war. Gowon was the person who declared war. Go and learn history

3 Likes

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 10:26am On Dec 10, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
have u done your WAEC? I mean, how old are u? Lol
Son of Chihuahuas,didn't u see his jab at me.

slowpoke!
Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by patrick89(m): 10:30am On Dec 10, 2015
amiskurie:
let me guess you're yoruba, you hate anything that is not in support of your myopic view? So I should unfollow sahara reporters, punch and the most useless The nation? Abi?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 10:30am On Dec 10, 2015
cokoduck:
Then STFU and run into your shell, any time you get confronted with presentation of facts you dolts just cook up an excuse.
I don't blame you,you are one the fools that believes everything you see.
You are fool of hatred.son of a goat.
Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by angiography(m): 10:37am On Dec 10, 2015
patrick89:
let me guess you're yoruba, you hate anything that is not in support of your myopic view? So I should unfollow sahara reporters, punch and the most useless The nation? Abi?
yes..pls do!!

guy...you can't be comparing Scotland's independence fight with Biafra's rudderless violence.

Anyways, the BBC is right in her usage of word(mind you, the BBC is the custodian of English language), there was a law enacted in 1971(?) that legalizes Scotland's independence agitation...-something which, say Newcastle upon Tyne can't just wake one day to agitate for in this respect, Alex salmond is right to be referred to as a 'nationalist' and be mindful that Scotland is a country.

Biafra has never been a country- hence you can't be a nationalist. Biafra is a land in Nigeria that wants to secede, hence you're a secessionistYou guys should do more to be more reasonable in your write-ups.
Not everyone is a dounce...

N.B. I ain't concerned whether Biafra is actualized or not... it's you guys problem

1 Like

Re: Read Why BBC Is Allegedly Biased Against Biafra - Naij.com by amiskurie(m): 10:38am On Dec 10, 2015
patrick89:
Not only naij.com owner should be in prison,the owner of ventures Africa too.

Go to Russia and China,go find out what makes a great nation.

Go to Europe,ask their enlightened fews why they are falling,then com back to me.

Stop being American buttt lickers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Buhari And His Wife Glorify A Bastard Boko Child? / Buhari’s Chief Of Staff Makes Himself The Acting President / Almighty Enugu Milliken Hill Road Now A Death Trap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.