Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,683 members, 7,851,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:33 PM

Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail (705 Views)

We Wanted To Break Out Of Nigeria Peacefully And Legally But... -- Ipob Elders / Heavy Fighting Break Out Again At Oshodi, Soldiers Take Over Oshodi / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by walata44(m): 8:26pm On Jun 03, 2009
Mass break-out from Nigerian jailĀ 

Nigeria's prison cells are hot, dirty and overcrowded
Over 150 inmates have broken out of an overcrowded prison in Nigeria's south-east during a midnight escape bid.

The police and army have returned all but 20 of the inmates who jumped to freedom after making a hole in the cell ceiling.

The prisoners climbed along inside the roof of a prison block to where it met the perimeter wall, the comptroller general of prisons told journalists.

Enugu prison, one of Nigeria's oldest, is overcrowded, authorities say.

"The prisoners who escaped were agitated at the serious delays in the judicial process," Comptroller General of Nigeria's prison service Olushola Ogundipe told journalists.

In Enugu prison, 724 prisoners out of the total prison population of 987 have not been convicted.

Tough conditions

Prisoners can be jailed for years without court sentences.

The midnight escape was rumbled when guards saw prisoners leaping over the wall from the roof of a prison block.

Prisoners in Enugu jail live in tough conditions.

Many are locked up 24 hours a day because there are not enough warders to prevent escapes.

Cells are dirty, hot and hold scores of people.

Judicial officers had been reviewing cases and freeing inmates who should not have been there.

The release programme had not been completed and the chief judge was due to return to complete it on Friday.

Mr Ogundipe did not say if the prisoners who tried to escape would be barred from the release programme.

"You know the inmates, everyone wanted their case to be heard," he said. "We are still bringing the situation under control."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8081819.stm
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by MrCrackles(m): 8:29pm On Jun 03, 2009
I dont blame the prisoners! grin

I will sacrifice my testicles to get out a Nigerian jail, if i were in the same shoes as them
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by tpiah: 8:34pm On Jun 03, 2009
hmmm.
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by tpiah: 9:14pm On Jun 03, 2009
Can Nigeria go learn espionage from the Brits because this is getting ridiculous.

Who is housing these people and who helped them escape?

anything to do with the Niger Delta faceoff?

this is like the book of Revelation! 150 inmates at the same time?
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

I dont blame the prisoners! grin

I will sacrifice my testicles to get out a Nigerian jail, if i were in the same shoes as the prisoners

Jail breaking is a serious offense, but if it was in Britain, almost almost all of them would have served their years and moved on with their lives. Those still left behind will be provided with a comfortable environment to learn, work, earn money and recover.

Imagine a situation where the CG has to sympathize with them.
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by tpiah: 9:32pm On Jun 03, 2009
nuzo:

Jail breaking is a serious offense, but if it was in Britain, almost almost all of them would have served their years and moved on with their lives. Those still left behind will be provided with a comfortable environment to learn, work, earn money and recover.

Imagine a situation where the CG has to sympathize with them.

too bad Nigeria cant be physically transported to the British Isles and share their exact longitude and latitude!

who is that incompetent CG? when they replace the buffoon with a more brutal one now, the idiot will start babbling all over the place.
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by bawomolo(m): 9:40pm On Jun 03, 2009
What makes him incompetent?
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 03, 2009
bawomolo:

Cos he either refused to build a state of the art prison for the nigerian nation with his money or he didnt shoot the under-age boys who stole maggi in the market and has been awaiting trial for ages. undecided
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by tpiah: 9:49pm On Jun 03, 2009
bawomolo:

the fact that a jailbreak of such proportions occurred under his watch.

150 convicts cant just be allowed to break out of jail like that and start terrorising ordinary people going about their daily business.

Hitler also emptied the jails by making the worst felons overseers and concentration camp bosses.

Enough with the sme sme going on in Nigeria. If the current crop of rulers dont know how to handle the country then they should invite the Brits or Russians to run it for them.
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by jensinmi(m): 12:38am On Jun 04, 2009
@ tpiah

Sorry to butt in o. But 73.4% of the people in that jail had not been convicted of any crime.
I guess that means they may not all be convicts.
Re: Mass Break-out From Nigeria Jail by tpiah: 2:04pm On Jun 04, 2009
jensinmi:

@ tpiah

Sorry to butt in o. But 73.4% of the people in that jail had not been convicted of any crime.
I guess that means they may not all be convicts.

so should all the Nigerian jails have similar breakouts? I know some of you would prefer criminals roam the streets at random all in the name of fighting the system.

Not to mention your statistics are faulty.

I dont know what makes Nigerians think they have so much right to anarchy as if they're seeing what nobody has ever seen before. Very lawless and indisciplined people.

(1) (Reply)

Top Artist Micheal Jackson Is Dead. / Amnesty: Anesthaesia Or Healing? / The West Should Not Dictate To Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.