Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,919 members, 7,848,713 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:12 AM

Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? (736 Views)

President Buhari Arrived In Iran (photos) / "Wind Of Hope" Offers To Sponsor Buhari, Jonathan Debate In UK / Buhari Boycotts Presidential Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by walata44(m): 11:42am On Jun 04, 2009
Watching Amadinajad debating his opponent this morning on TV makes me think, why can't this happen in Nigeria?Debating on the national TV will allow Nigerian to know what stance each candidate policy on different issue that affect our daily life,That is what true democracy is all about.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by ElRazur: 11:44am On Jun 04, 2009
Erm we have a culture that do not like criticism, and we feel we are not accountable to anyone?
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by palmwine(m): 11:49am On Jun 04, 2009
It shud be made a requisite in the electoral law.

In the US its stipulated and the no of such debate is stated.

The last time OBJ was invited he did not honour it cos its not compulsory.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by AjaraEwuro: 11:50am On Jun 04, 2009
There had always been presidential debates in Nigeria - I remember Abiola and Tofa in 1993 elections - have many people forgotten this?
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by palmwine(m): 11:52am On Jun 04, 2009
Again the way the opposition goes about a debate would turn off most people.

When u hear a man say I challenge you to a debate on national TV as if its a duel.

Think its time we all learn to carry ourselves well and Diplomacy, the right choice of words should be the hallmark of a statesman, not beating war drums.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by palmwine(m): 11:55am On Jun 04, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

There had always been presidential debates in Nigeria - I remember Abiola and Tofa in 1993 elections - have many people forgotten this?

The law that guided that election has been superseded by the current electoral law. In the new law you don't have to debate to get to an office.

Even if you are willing to, how many candidate do you want to debate with. Considering the number of candidates for say the office of the president.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by AjaraEwuro: 11:55am On Jun 04, 2009
of course it is a challenge - whats wrong with using such words?
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by ElRazur: 11:55am On Jun 04, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

Oh dear. It is not a common occurrence. Or is it?
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by AjaraEwuro: 12:01pm On Jun 04, 2009
ELRazur

I go slap you o.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by ElRazur: 12:08pm On Jun 04, 2009
AjaraEwuro:

ELRazur

I go slap you o.

Am afraid you lack the written skills and logical reasoning needed. smiley

Just because Abiola and tofa had a debate do not mean it is a common occurrence back home. Debating involves criticising, undermining the skills of your opponent and exposing their flaws, be it in logic or ideas. etc. These things are the very ideas we detest as a nation. Even you as an individual displays these characteristics, how much more people who are ego maniac "elites" of Nigeria?
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by desgiezd(m): 12:17pm On Jun 04, 2009
Presidential debates in Nigeria have not thrived because of the kind of system we have in place. It was a delight to watch MKO Abiola Vs Bashir Tofa before the June 12, 1993 elections. Abiola was clearly in the lead and he articulated his views very well for all to see and hear, I guess those who had hitherto been unable to make up their minds were able to do so after watching or listening to the debate. In 1999, for reasons best known to him, OBJ did not turn up. In my opinion, he knew the kind of assurances his backers had given him and he found it worthless and time wasting going to confront Olu Falae in a debate. I'm sure Falae would have taken him to the cleaners if he had attended.

Was there a debate in 2007, I ain't too sure. But then how could there have been one when one of the candidates (Atiku) was not sure of his participation in the election process until about two or three days to the election.
Re: Presidential Debate In Iran? Why Not In Nigeria? by philip0906(m): 1:51pm On Jun 04, 2009
e b like say e don tey since u c fight!no b our leaders u go come use c d fight na! grin
abi u won may den throw blow live 4 T.V? grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Security Alert in Lagos / Another Kick In The Ass! / Should The Fg Spend N14.5 Billion On Kaduna Oil College Or Infrastructures?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.