Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,701 members, 7,813,301 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

Dangers Of Self Medication! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dangers Of Self Medication! (17203 Views)

15 Ways To Cure Insomnia Without Medication / Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / Medication For Vaginal Itching? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangers Of Self Medication! by Oxone(m): 12:45pm On Jun 04, 2009
A large number of people, when they fall sick, do not consult the physician. They either consult a chemist and obtain a medicine from his shelf, or may consult a neighbor who may be having some tablets left over from his previous illness, and readily spares them. May be most of the times nothing untoward happens on following such advice, but it can be dangerous.

Proprietary drugs which are sold over-the-counter include pain relievers, cough remedies, antiallergics, laxatives, vitamins, tonics, antacids and many others. Even dangerous drugs like the antibiotics and the hormones can be procured, somehow or the other, without a valid prescription.

Self-medication usually involves common drugs which are freely available. A study carried out in the United States showed that nearly[b] 2 billion dollars per year[/b] were spent on such remedies. It is questionable whether the benefits outweigh the potential hazards. They account for poisonings, allergy, habituation, addiction, and other adverse reactions. Above all [b]their use often delays proper treatment of the disease.
[/b]
The most misused drugs are the[b] analgesics or pain reliever[/b]s. In fact, age old, ordinary aspirin is as effective, and even safer than any of the modern analgesics like fenamates, oxicams, or Cox-2 inhibitors like rofecoxib and celecoxib.

Similarly cough remedies, antiallergics, laxatives, vitamins, tonics, and antacids can lead to serious side effects. Even lavish use of vitamins, specially the fat-soluble (A,D,E, &K) can cause problems.

finally is the availability of many[b] irrational drug combinations[/b] in the market, which expose the individual to several drugs needlessly, each of which can cause adverse effects. Very few combinations have a legitimate place in modern medicine. Yet irrational combination abound and are being used by some professionals.

Always consult your Physician
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Libra38: 3:11pm On Jun 05, 2009
@ Poster

Your publication is so informative and educative. I think it will do all the nation a favour (especially the illiterate and the less privilege who may not have access to internet) by sending a copy to Madam Re-branding and Mr. President to orientate the general populace on the DANGER OF SELF MEDICATION.

By so doing, the Fed Govt. must improve on the living condition of the ordinary Nigerian who's only option is resorting to self medication against consulting a physician in time of sick.

The following areas must be given adequate attention;

Extream poverty in the society!

Non availability of some prescribed drugs!

Incompitency on some part of the physicians!

Large circulation of fake drugs!

Weak health institutions!

ABOVE ALL, ATTITUDUNAL CHANGE.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Oxone(m): 3:26pm On Jun 05, 2009
and who says they dont know the dangers of self medication? they do,
infact madam rebranding is a qualified pharmacist herself but the chief main cause of self medication is poverty & ignorance,
i'm only trying to contribute my own 20 kobo to nairalanders
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by dominique(f): 8:15pm On Jul 11, 2009
couldnt agree more, the poverty situation of this country is preventing most people to visit the doctors. they'd rather make uneducated guesses and use drugs which can live them in a far worse situation than they were before. . . even if we had a functioning health insurance system, a lot of people wont qualify. the whole thing can be so damn depressing sad angry
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Amjustme: 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2009
My dear times are just hard. If i know iv got free medical care even if my ear itches, il go straight to ask what causes the itching. When i have to pay for transport to and fro, pay to see the doctor, pay to buy the drugs,haba?! if my ears itch i would just itch it back or if i try,just walk 2 ask for ear-drop for itching ears. Not like the doctors these days do any good these days. Most dont even know wot exactly they are doing.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by tayoast(m): 4:49pm On Jul 13, 2009
Sell Medication's got nothing to do with poverty.

I mean, how many times have pple who've d wherewithals Self Medicated?

It's all down to our orientation and perhaps mindset.

It's gonna take some hard work and massive enlightenment to make pple realise d danger inherent.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Nezan(m): 5:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
tayo_ast:

It's gonna take some hard work and massive enlightenment to make pple realise d danger inherent.
grin grin
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Oxone(m): 4:59pm On Jul 14, 2009
tayo_ast:

couldnt agree more. the funny thing is most people never bother with hospitals until the case becomes life threatening sad sad sad sad
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Seeke(f): 6:08pm On Jul 14, 2009
This topic struck a chord with me. I've been 'preaching' this same message to my immediate family and friends for some time now but they won't listen. I hope one of them would just happen on this forum or someone else mentions it to them soon.

Nice one there Oxone!!!
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by kadman(m): 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2009
Oxone thanks for this,your post addresses people like me, as someone said it has nothing to do with poverty but orientation,I fall sick regularly so I always feel why go to hospital when I know the drugs they'll give me anyway. I've been doing this for a while till recently when I'd been self medicating for months and it turned out to be something else !
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by neeyee(m): 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2009
Always consult your Physician

Thanks for the information
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by sley4life(m): 12:16am On Jul 15, 2009
lozz of life
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by eniolape: 11:14am On Jul 15, 2009
pple used Self Medication's b'cos of poverty in the country, many pple found it difficult to feed themselves, talk less of buying drug. those pple will prefer to used herb medicine which will cost dem less.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 29, 2014
Nice one
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 29, 2014
In as much as self medication isn't exactly good, it is practically impossible to have all medical cases treated In the hospital or attended to by a qualified health personnel. Nigeria is not even anywhere near the WHO recommendation of health personnel per population ratio.
Even in developed countries, there ore OTC drugs and I think the best practice is to enlighten the public about how to treat the very common diseases. Even a down's person can treat malaria and knows Lonart or Amalar. Paracetamol for basic pain and that way, we'll be just fine.
And yes, I'm a medical doctor.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by MrKIZITO(m): 5:19am On May 13, 2015
Read more on the reasons for the practices of self medication from here http://www.edumacro.com/self-medication-substance-abuse/
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by jumperishe: 9:28pm On Jul 23, 2015
It's horrible! People don't realize, when they start to self-medicate. My friend had bought strong antibiotics for himself, after that he lost hearing. He was treating bronchitis, but got the deafness, if only he knew about consequences. Recently I've read useful news about treatment, I didn't knew, it's riskily to mix some drugs with each other. I hope it will be helpful for somebody else, think before starting to self-medicate.
If anyone is interested http://www.naij.com/494826-health-alert-5-common-drugs-you-should-never-combine.html
By the way http://www.naij.com/ is very interesting site, there are a lot of useful news about politics, health, society.
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by vinotinto5: 10:16am On Apr 25, 2017
Have you come across the BEST HEALTH SITE in Nigeria? https://naturesgist.com/ . They are certainly the best to me. I came across it via Google and I got the information I needed. I used that opportunity to go through some of their articles, and I saw that they are all unique, comprehensive and amazing. These are kinds of sites I love. If the owners are reading this now, Please I will say GOOD STUFF!!!!! You guys make us proud...
Re: Dangers Of Self Medication! by parasshivhare(m): 2:22am On Sep 04, 2017
A lot of people are propagating the philosophy of loving oneself.
Read this post to find out all the insights and intricacies related to it:
http://www.luvleela.com/learn-to-love-yourself/

(1) (Reply)

Why Would Anyone Want To Become A Doctor? / Two-Inch Feather Emerges From Baby's Neck / Inspirational Tweets Of People Living With Sickle-Cell Disease.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.