Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,503 members, 7,770,261 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:18 AM

About Mid-life Transition - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / About Mid-life Transition (2628 Views)

Awesome Mid-week Sale At Micostar Mall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Mid-life Transition by Jamean(f): 7:50pm On Dec 13, 2015
Hi Friends,

So this thread is borne out of my recent conversations with my closest friend whose elder brother just began the pursuit of a Bachelor of Law (LLB)degree commencing January 2016, after gaining a certificate of BArts History and International Studies in 2008.

Now this is 8years down the line and he's married with 2children. Out of the blues he just remembered that Law was his first love and must go back to chase that career line. He resigned his appointment in the state he resides with his family to relocate to the state of the University. He also moved into his father's property there with his family, thus changing the whole course of their lives and has resulted in home trouble.

I actually encourage constant self development but this like setting a clock to tick anti-clock wise. The usual flow is first degree, second degree or professional courses.

Now, this is what is termed Mid-life Transition or Mid-life Crisis.

Midlife transition" is a natural stage that happens to many of us at some point (usually at about age 30s - 50s)which includes: Discontentment or boredom with life or with the lifestyle (including people and things) that have provided fulfillment for a long time.

A mid-life crisis is experienced by some people as they realize they have reached a midpoint in their lifespan and experience conflicts or dissatisfaction within themselves because of unrealized goals, self- perceptions or physical changes as a result of aging or health issues.

A mid-life crisis could be caused by aging itself, or aging in combination with changes, problems, or regrets over: work or career (or lack thereof) spousal relationships (or lack thereof) maturation of children (or lack of children) aging or death of parents physical changes associated with aging.

In the face of all these.. I had a meditation about 2 key conversations I should have with a proposed spouse:

- How do you think you will handle a loss of job or abrupt change in career path.

- What are the those things you wish you had done in life before marriage and still crave for a chance to do.

In conclusion.. with emphasis to the married, about to be married/single and elderly people on this forum.

- To the married and elderly.. Have you had the issue of Mid-life Transition with yourself or your spouse? How was it managed?

- To the about to be married/single...  what are those things you perceive can give rise to Mid-life Transition with you?

Let's discuss... thanks

2 Likes

Re: About Mid-life Transition by dsquare33: 3:29pm On Dec 14, 2015
Thanks OP for the insight, into what midlife crises is, I have a relation of mine who though is retired from the coperate world, she is in her mid 50s and very she rich but she decided to go back to school. The question is, is there anything wrong in wanting to do something you have wanted to do? Naturally, like you said it could be as a result of somebody wanting to fufill his long term goals.

1 Like

Re: About Mid-life Transition by davide470(m): 5:46pm On Dec 14, 2015
To me, there is nothing like mid-life crisis.

Just priorities, which changes over time!

2 Likes

Re: About Mid-life Transition by obiaguna(m): 12:14am On Dec 15, 2015
dsquare33:
Thanks OP for the insight, into what midlife crises is, I have a relation of mine who though is retired from the coperate world, she is in her mid 50s and very she rich but she decided to go back to school. The question is, is there anything wrong in wanting to do something you have wanted to do? Naturally, like you said it could be as a result of somebody wanting to fufill his long term goals.

I don't really think she's suffering from midlife crisis. I can deduce from what you wrote that she has enjoyed a good career and she now has some time to try out new things and that includes her taking up a new course at school. Others could be starting a business or some other sort of passion/hobby. Mid life crisis are mostly negative trends. I'm not really sure Sha but it's a forum and we can wait for more contributions.
Re: About Mid-life Transition by armyofone(m): 2:44pm On Dec 15, 2015
What happened shocked shocked who did cleaned up here?
Gosh ebelebe igba (ifyalways let me use your words grin)
I didn't see or read anything bad in what was written here, so why the cleaning ?
Re: About Mid-life Transition by armyofone(m): 2:52pm On Dec 15, 2015
Oh man!!! Maybe a mistake cleanup.
No play again but seriousness even for December...Santa must hear this.

ifyalways:

Reported or cleaned by someone passing through horrible mid life crises. cheesy

Some people are allergic to goodnews and get blind when they see others happy.

Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 9:43pm On Dec 15, 2015
E badu belle and e jolosi rules! cheesy
Must be those London-Scammer peeps going broke again!

Muchechecheche

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 9:45pm On Dec 15, 2015
Mid life transition:

When you are debt-freeeeee and can release tia-rubbers! Not Ajegunle Tokumbos! grin

1 Like

Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 9:57pm On Dec 15, 2015
A mid-life crisis is experienced by some people as they realize they have reached a midpoint in their lifespan and experience conflicts or dissatisfaction within themselves because of unrealized goals, self- perceptions or physical changes as a result of aging or health issues.

O ti o!

Na this jollification season you wan carry your bad luck discussion waka kam? shocked

I bind ju!
I rebuke ju!
I cast ju!
I re-bind ju!
I re-rebuke ju!
I re-cast ju!

Abeg!!!! Speak for yasef o!
If depression dey mama you for Naija, go get FIZA go tanda for "KUBA"! grin

Shiooooooooor!!!

Abeg, I don pursue me husband go Naija go siddon with im pikins dem o!

This Christmas is a SWEEEEET SOLO one!

Abi na me sen you go born 12 children for 15 men? grin

How mid-life KRASES nor go cassssssshyoooo?

Next time, do the needful and STAY IN SCHOOL AND LOVE YOURSELF ALWAYS!!!!

My Christmas lights are up! cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2015
ifyalways:

Reported or cleaned by someone passing through horrible mid life crises. cheesy

Some people are allergic to goodnews and get blind when they see others happy.

The person wey clean dey work for NL-TEHN funeral parlor ke. No dead body to bury this Christmas.
Shop don close, so na for this thread suicide pipo of NL suppose gather!

Muhehehehehe grin

Midlife crisis ko!
Banza!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About Mid-life Transition by dsquare33: 10:19pm On Dec 15, 2015
obiaguna:

I don't really think she's suffering from midlife crisis. I can deduce from what you wrote that she has enjoyed a good career and she now has some time to try out new things and that includes her taking up a new course at school. Others could be starting a business or some other sort of passion/hobby. Mid life crisis are mostly negative trends. I'm not really sure Sha but it's a forum and we can wait for more contributions.
Maybe you are right,maybe she wanted to channel her energies to something worthwhile,but at almost 60?
Re: About Mid-life Transition by Nmeri17: 10:03pm On Dec 18, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

My Christmas lights are up! cool
wow! agnostics celebrate Christmas too?? shocked nice smiley
Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 4:00am On Dec 20, 2015
Nmeri17:
wow! agnostics celebrate Christmas too?? shocked nice smiley

It shows you have no idea what the term 'Agnostic' means.
We pick and choose what we want to deal with.
Nothing to do with 'Christ'.
Yup! Nice. cool

Happy holidays! cool
Re: About Mid-life Transition by cynhamscakes(f): 5:53am On Dec 20, 2015
Nice write up by the op. Mid life crises is experienced by different people in different ways. Some men even suddenly take decisions that have nasty and negative effect on them and people close to them.
In as much as its good to try something new or fulfil your life long dream, it will be stupid to still embark on that thing if it will lead you to a regrettable end.

The Christmas season is drawing close. Celebrate this year's xmas with a difference.

Our specialty for the season is our Rich fruit rum cake. Other flavours such as yummy banana, moist Coconut, moist carrot, chocolate, lemon,, vanilla, red velvet, strawberry cakes will also be available.

Start placing your orders now. We also make snacks like Chinchin, meatballs, Meatpie etc.

Our xmas cake is guaranteed to tickle your taste buds.
We deliver to any location in Abuja.

BBM pin: 531753fb

**Nigerians in diaspora and those living outside Abuja can order for cakes for their loved once.

Re: About Mid-life Transition by Nmeri17: 5:16pm On Dec 20, 2015
KanwuliaJara:

It shows you have no idea what the term 'Agnostic' means.
We pick and choose what we want to deal with.
Nothing to do with 'Christ'.
Yup! Nice. cool

Happy holidays! cool
Happy holidays o madam aj! cool ehem....congrats on the sussessfu delivery of your "baby" cheesy happy for you. wishing you bigger sugar daddies this Yuletide and always grin
Re: About Mid-life Transition by KanwuliaJara: 11:48pm On Dec 21, 2015
Nmeri17:
Happy holidays o madam aj! cool ehem....congrats on the sussessfu delivery of your "baby" cheesy happy for you. wishing you bigger sugar daddies this Yuletide and always grin

Amiiiiiiiin ooooooooooh!!!!! cool
No HAY PEE SEE e jor o!
Re: About Mid-life Transition by CoCoLav(f): 1:35am On Dec 22, 2015
Jamean this is lovely..
Although I didn't read everything grin

1 Like

Re: About Mid-life Transition by davidif: 8:57am On Dec 13, 2016
Jamean:
Hi Friends,

So this thread is borne out of my recent conversations with my closest friend whose elder brother just began the pursuit of a Bachelor of Law (LLB)degree commencing January 2016, after gaining a certificate of BArts History and International Studies in 2008.

Now this is 8years down the line and he's married with 2children. Out of the blues he just remembered that Law was his first love and must go back to chase that career line. He resigned his appointment in the state he resides with his family to relocate to the state of the University. He also moved into his father's property there with his family, thus changing the whole course of their lives and has resulted in home trouble.

I actually encourage constant self development but this like setting a clock to tick anti-clock wise. The usual flow is first degree, second degree or professional courses.

Now, this is what is termed Mid-life Transition or Mid-life Crisis.

Midlife transition" is a natural stage that happens to many of us at some point (usually at about age 30s - 50s)which includes: Discontentment or boredom with life or with the lifestyle (including people and things) that have provided fulfillment for a long time.

A mid-life crisis could be caused by aging itself, or aging in combination with changes, problems, or regrets over: work or career (or lack thereof) spousal relationships (or lack thereof) maturation of children (or lack of children) aging or death of parents physical changes associated with aging.

In the face of all these.. I had a meditation about 2 key conversations I should have with a proposed spouse:

- How do you think you will handle a loss of job or abrupt change in career path.

- What are the those things you wish you had done in life before marriage and still crave for a chance to do.

In conclusion.. with emphasis to the married, about to be married/single and elderly people on this forum.

- To the married and elderly.. Have you had the issue of Mid-life Transition with yourself or your spouse? How was it managed?

- To the about to be married/single...  what are those things you perceive can give rise to Mid-life Transition with you?

Let's discuss... thanks

I won't exactly classify 30's as midlife. 50's probably but 30's? Absolutely not.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

All Parents Do Read This. / The Most Expensive Coffin In The World Costs N78 Million / Why Are Some Parents Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.