Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,219 members, 7,811,610 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher (1692 Views)

Merry Christmas Nairalanders - 2017 / Merry Christmas to everybody in Nigeria. / Olumba Obu: 8-year Tenure For Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by seagulsntrawler: 6:25am On Dec 14, 2015
By wmw_adminonDecember 12, 2015
Renee Johnson –Truth Uncensored Dec 11, 2015
The ‘war on Christmas’ continues as a simple well-wishing of ‘Merry Christmas’ has led to big trouble for one third-grade San Francisco girl this week.
Samantha Dawson, an 8-year-old student at Westview Elementary Schoolin San Francisco, CA., was in the school cafeteria Tuesday eating with friends when she was taken to the principal’s office and given a week-long suspension. Her punishment was consequence for saying ‘Merry Christmas’ to her homeroom teacher earlier that day.
Dawson’s teacher, 37-year-old Paul Horner who is an outspoken Atheist, was offended at the students display of Christmas spirit and had staff suspend the young girl for the rest of the week.
“I say ‘Merry Christmas’ to everyone,” the young girl told CBS News. “I didn’t think it would cause so much trouble just for saying a couple little words.”
The girl’s mother, Laura Dawson, 41, was fuming over the issue.
“You don’t traumatize a child who loves to go to school, who wanted to be early every day to school, you don’t make her cry, just for wishing someone Merry Christmas,” she told reporters, holding back tears. “You just don’t do it.”
Reporters spoke with Mr. Horner as he was leaving from school yesterday.
“I warned the children not to bring religion into my classroom,” Horner said. “Maybe Samantha will listen to adults next time.”
At the time of this press release, Westview Elementary Schoolofficials declined to comment, though this was posted on the school’s website:
Once again we had to suspend a student, 3rd grader Samantha Dawson, because she said “Merry Christmas” to her homeroom teacher, who is a proud atheist.
PLEASE, lets learn from this horrible act and not let the the holiday spirit be ruined by the few that confuse church and state.
Happy Holidays everyone!!!
Source
As the correspondent who sent the following item in noted, it looks like someone is trying to muddy the waters here:
School Fires Teacher After Saying Merry Christmas To Atheist Student
Darius Rubics — News Examiner
The ‘War on Christmas’ continues as a simple well-wishing of ‘Merry Christmas’ has led to the termination of a third-grade teacher in San Francisco, California.
37-year-old Paul Horner, who had been a teacher at Westview Elementary Schoolfor 15 years and had no prior disciplinary infractions, was fired by school officials after saying ‘Merry Christmas’ to one of his 3rd grade students. That student, who is an Atheist, found Horner’s well-wishing to be offensive and inappropriate; that is when the student contacted his parents and the principal.
Paul Horner spoke with CBS Newsabout his termination from the school.
“I say ‘Merry Christmas’ to everyone, I don’t mean any harm by it,” Horner said. “I made a mistake and forgot that Westview enforces a strict ‘Christmas-free zone’. I apologized to the boy, his family and my colleagues for my actions, but they still let me go. That job is all I had in life. I don’t know what I’m going to do now.”
The boy’s mother, Sarah Bradley, 32, was fuming over the issue.
“You don’t traumatize an atheist child who loves to go to school, who wanted to be early every day to school, you don’t make him cry, bringing religion into the classroom and wishing him a Merry Christmas like that,” she told reporters, holding back tears. “You just don’t do it.”
Reporters spoke with Mr. Horner on Sunday as he was leaving the grounds of Westview Elementary for one last time.
“Westview had such a great bunch of students and teachers to work with and I’ll really miss all of that,” Horner said. “I love working with kids and trying to make a difference in their lives. I just hope I can find new employment elsewhere as soon as possible; I have bills and a family to support. I guess I’ll just try to learn from this experience and next time keep my Christmas spirit to myself.”
Westview Elementary School officials declined to comment, but did post about the incident on their website:
During the holiday season it can be easy to forget important things like the separation of church and state. As a progressive school, Westview Elementary School is a proud “Christmas Free Zone”.
As some of you may or may not know, we recently had to terminate employment of our third grade teacher Mr. Paul Horner for saying the words “Merry Christmas” to one of our fine Atheist students. What Mr. Horner said to this child was offensive to all religions and belief systems. We here at Westview Elementary School sincerely apologize for Mr. Horner’s uncaring and heartless behavior.

Sources:
www.thetruthseeker.co.uk/?p=126046

www.newsexaminer.net/education/school-fires-teacher-saying-merry-christmas/

1 Like

Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by marshalcarter: 6:29am On Dec 14, 2015
Atheist...waddaya xpect from dem

Only a fool would look up to the sky and say there is no GOD
Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by Chommieblaq(f): 6:46am On Dec 14, 2015
End time teacher
End time school.
Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by kevoh(m): 8:43am On Dec 14, 2015

Analysis: This never happened. The article excerpted above is a spoof originally published on the satirical website NationalReport.net on December 11, 2013.

And this is what National Report's disclaimer page says: "All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental."

I'd suggest taking the website at its word.

Paul Horner, the supposed "outspoken atheist" teacher mentioned in the article, is actually a writer for National Report and more than likely authored this piece himself.

There is no "Anon Elementary School" in San Francisco, where the incident purportedly took place. An early version of the article used the name "Argon Elementary School," which also doesn't exist but is close enough to that of a real San Francisco school, Argonne Elementary, that administrators of the latter received a flood of phone complaints, "email tirades" and "veiled threats of violence" from Internet users who not only believed the satirical article was true, apparently, but felt they needed to defend the nonexistent 9-year-old student from the so-called "War on Christmas."

There's an epidemic of fake news out there.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/Fake-News/ss/9-Year-Old-Suspended-for-Saying-Merry-Christmas.htm
I also know how to use google to fish out fake news tongue . Just tweak the age,grade of student, name of school e.t.c and you get yourself a nicely cut fake news against athesit grin
Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by ifenes(m): 8:50am On Dec 14, 2015
Someway it felt petty and harsh on a confused/brainwashed kids but I personally applaud the decision.
Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by ifenes(m): 8:50am On Dec 14, 2015
marshalcarter:
Atheist...waddaya xpect from dem

Only a fool would look up to the sky and say there is no GOD

Re: Updated: 8-year-old Suspended For Saying ‘merry Christmas’ To Teacher by tartar9(m): 8:52am On Dec 14, 2015
they are at it again,lying for the greater glory of christ

(1) (Reply)

Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus || Muslim Version || Talk Islam / 6 Keys To Activating Favour / Can Anyone Prove That The "Soul" Exists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.