Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,472 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:24 PM

Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed (1798 Views)

Old Dark Blue Coloured British Passport Coming Back / Advice Needed From Nigerians Living in Hungary / Photos: See The Big Snake That I Saw When Coming Back From Lectures Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by AVRecruit: 3:37am On Dec 15, 2015
Hello,

My cousin was thinking of coming back to Nigeria from America and wanted to ask the following questions:

1. What is the best way to find a low cost private driver - what is the best way to select to avoid dangerous people. He will need one for 3 months before he finally gets used to driving again in Nigeria.

2. He is looking for a flat or mini flat to rent - which reliable vendors should he approach? Ikeja Maryland, Ikeja tollgate, mushin and surulere areas.

3. For those who have shipped a car from USA to Nigeria before, how much are we looking at?

4. Is it advisable to find a job before arriving? Is visiting offices to apply better than online applications? What works?
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by moneybag100: 5:53am On Dec 15, 2015
You or your cousin. grin

2 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by obiak4(m): 6:25am On Dec 15, 2015
Why is he relocating? Now to ur question
he shd not recruit any driver just make one of his jnr brother cousin or nieces his driver for security reasons
maryland but shd not be anywhere near charlyboy bustop else in less than 3month na kidnapper hand him go enter
about 750-1m depending on the car spec customs r not smilling with thier flivorous charges also make sure the car is not up to 7yrs ooo would attract more charge or fine whatever, or confisticated yea,
you want a job send cv and cover letter online but wait ooo why is he coming to 9ja to look for a job?
Is he into medicals or banking,??

2 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by AVRecruit: 9:35am On Dec 15, 2015
he is coming to nigeria to look for a job right now because Canada is basically dried up - economy in not so good shape; basically he has not been fortunate enough to land something great so wants to explore opportunities in Nigeria. I know there are few jobs in Nigeria, I have told him that. But he says if he can get a job of 250k/ month, he will move. He is into IT Consulting targeting Accenture, KPMG, etc - but yawa go gas if dem no gree take am. its better to relocate with an offer in hand than land and start looking?

3 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by coolhamid(m): 12:15pm On Dec 15, 2015
Whats here in Nigeria that he wants to come for? It's better for him to explore opportunities in Canada than to come down to Nigeria and start Job hunting. Nigeria economy is so fvcked up now to the extent that many state governors are thinking of Reducing minimum wage which can barely feed a single stomach in a month.

You can see how fvcked the economy is ? Let your cousin stay down there and keep hustling ..

5 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by fejeerow(f): 9:13pm On Dec 15, 2015
people like me are looking for means to leave nigeria to find a better future.. and u want to come back

2 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by rusher14: 9:28pm On Dec 15, 2015
AVRecruit:
he is coming to nigeria to look for a job right now because Canada is basically dried up - economy in not so good shape; basically he has not been fortunate enough to land something great so wants to explore opportunities in Nigeria. I know there are few jobs in Nigeria, I have told him that. But he says if he can get a job of 250k/ month, he will move. He is into IT Consulting targeting Accenture, KPMG, etc - but yawa go gas if dem no gree take am. its better to relocate with an offer in hand than land and start looking?

I know Canada like most economies of the world is experiencing a downturn but IT for now should still have some opportunities.

Nigeria is presently going through a phase - recession on the horizon, Political and ethnic hate, tension and anger that is quite palpable.

The economic climate isn't peculiar to Nigeria alone yet with a government which is hasn't kicked off its programs, a country without welfare and differing labour opportunities, I'll ask your guy to sit it out for a while.

The economic landscape is gloomy. This isn't entirely the fault of the government of the day but it is what it is.

2016 is on its way and it would require some toughness and fortune for one to smile though it.

1 Like

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2015
rusher14:

I know Canada like most economies of the world is experiencing a downturn but IT for now should still have some opportunities.

Nigeria is presently going through a phase - recession on the horizon, Political and ethnic hate, tension and anger that is quite palpable.

The economic climate isn't peculiar to Nigeria alone yet with a government which is hasn't kicked off its programs, a country without welfare and differing labour opportunities, I'll ask your guy to sit it out for a while.

The economic landscape is gloomy. This isn't entirely the fault of the government of the day but it is what it is.

2016 is on its way and it would require some toughness and fortune for one to smile though it.
We even get economy ...no be where belle face? Let him change career or come here and run off back to wherever he's from. Unless he wants to come and set up his business.. Even with that, NEPA no go gree am rest. Omo eh!

1 Like

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by AVRecruit: 10:41pm On Dec 15, 2015
well the main issue he cites with sitting abroad and waiting for a job is time passes quickly.... you fit de wash plate/ do security man/ call center and all you can do is pay rent and living expenses with no savings. he thinks even as he is struggling in naija maybe start up a business and is waiting, if something works out abroad, all well and good. but to sidon house de wait job, he is tired and he doesnt want to do security man/ call center since they lead to no where.
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by ifegy: 1:40am On Dec 16, 2015
AVRecruit:
well the main issue he cites with sitting abroad and waiting for a job is time passes quickly.... you fit de wash plate/ do security man/ call center and all you can do is pay rent and living expenses with no savings. he thinks even as he is struggling in naija maybe start up a business and is waiting, if something works out abroad, all well and good. but to sidon house de wait job, he is tired and he doesnt want to do security man/ call center since they lead to no where.

What province is he in? If he has an IT background or a background in the big 4, there are jobs posted every day. For instance, in a place like Toronto, the banks are forever putting up ads for IT auditors. There is absolutely no need to do cleaning or security jobs with that skill set. I assume he's got some kind of permit to work, or is a PR or a citizen. Has he tried signing up to receive free daily alerts listing jobs from websites like simplyhired, indeed, etc? Hunker down, polish your resume like crazy (google for tips and guidelines; get someone to review it; spellcheck several times, read it aloud and make sure you're not missing any words here and there, etc. and start doing serious searches for recruitment agencies. Send your resume to them, call them up, follow up like mad and let them know you are serious and flexible. Practice interview skills. Read up on how to interview. There are free career and interviewing classes offered by government agencies. If you've never had anyone critique your interview technique, have someone do so. Sign up with online job sites that send you emails with hundreds of jobs everyday, etc, and go through the postings with a fine-toothed comb. Even linkedin posts several job postings each day. If you are on linkedin, ask your contacts for any leads or ideas. Forget the pride and do what you gotta do.

If he's willing to move across provinces, even up North, he will find something, guaranteed. It would be far better for him to take something, even if it meant moving, and then keep looking out for opportunities in his preferred province/ city/area/salary range. He should note as well that many times you even get a premium for being willing to move up to the Northern territories.

He should know that 'returnees' have just as hard a time finding jobs in Nigeria as local job seekers, in many cases.
If he's tried all the provinces and truly can't find anything (not going to happen, but still), why not consider international, like the Middle East? They are constantly in a hiring cycle as well, taking people even from Nigeria, and it will probably be easier for him to be hired from Canada.
There are even cases of Multinationals hiring his skill set from Canada and moving them to work in their other global locations.

Bottom line, Canada isn't dried up, in any way or sense, especially for someone looking for something in the line of work he mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by Nobody: 2:48am On Dec 16, 2015
I think there is something you abi your cousin is not telling us here. I have friends in Canada doing good jobs, I was also in Canada recently and I saw things myself. Tell us the truth and you will stand a better chance of getting help.
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by ttmacoy: 7:34pm On Dec 16, 2015
I remember reading this a few days ago and read he was returning from Canada and now it has changed to America?

1 Like

Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by Nobody: 8:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
ttmacoy:
I remember reading this a few days ago and read he was returning from Canada and now it has changed to America?
Na story..IT guy not able to find a job. grin grin
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by claremont(m): 9:15pm On Dec 16, 2015
He should retrain if the IT industry is not favorable for him. There are always jobs in the medical industry, and he can retrain to be a Doctor/Dentist/Pharmacist/Nurse e.t.c. The medical industry is always viable in most developed economies as compared to IT.
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 16, 2015
claremont:
He should retrain if the IT industry is not favorable for him. There are always jobs in the medical industry, and he can retrain to be a Doctor/Dentist/Pharmacist/Nurse e.t.c. The medical industry is always viable in most developed economies as compared to IT.
No..Nigeria get jobs!
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by Fireson: 9:45pm On Dec 16, 2015
ttmacoy:

OP is confused.... cheesy
Re: Coming Back To Nigeria - Advice Needed by wyzoe: 9:27am On Mar 16, 2017
Follow up.

Did your cousin eventually relocate?

If yes, what was his experience?

(1) (Reply)

41 Nigerians Deported From The US Today / Fatal Accident Claims The Life Of A Young Boy In Aba, Abia State [graphic Pic] / 21 Places Every Tourist And Nigerians Must Visit In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.