Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,109 members, 7,835,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Help Needed With Mail Seizure - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Help Needed With Mail Seizure (677 Views)

4 Students Killed As Epileptic Driver Crashes Into Trailer After Seizure / Help Needed With Processing China And Hong Kong Visa / Urgent Help Needed With Planning An Official Retreat In Calabar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed With Mail Seizure by epistlegcfr: 2:43am On Dec 16, 2015
Hi,

I need your advice because I have a situation right now. I am an international graduate student currently studying in Canada. I went for a written driver’s examination. After the exam, I meet two guys that wrote the exam with me and we got talking. I informed them of my intentions to get my driver’s license sent to me from my country. Luckily they said they are actually planning the same. Since we are student of the same school and we are from the same country, one is even from my department in the school we agreed to save cost by getting their own license sent to my brother and then my brother added mine. Making three licenses in a package all with different names and information. It was indicated on the waybill that the package contains 3 licenses no form of concealment or any foul play
So my brother sent it to me and we all contributed the money meant for the courier. But surprisingly, it was held. Instead of the license to be delivered by the courier, I got a notice of seizure mail from CIC with the description of the item seized being individual names, and date of birth on the licenses. And a message to the client which states that: If you want, your documents will be returned send your request by fax to the fax number of the officer below.

(1)It was stated beneath the filled form that item seized from international mail and courier service will be disposed off in accordance with the immigration and refugee protection regulations. Should you wish to discuss this matter you may contact the fax within 30days of seizure

(2)The information provided on this form is collected under the Authority of the immigration and refugee protection Act. It is protected by the privacy act and is accessible to you and will be stored in personal information bank number CIC Bleep 180.

(3) The notification states that it was held under immigration and protection act section 140: An officer may seize and hold any means of transportation, document or other thing if the officer believes on a reasonable ground that it was fraudulently or improperly obtained or used or that the seizure is necessary to prevent its fraudulent or improper use or to carry out the purposes of this Act.

Now, the other two guys involved are saying it is not a big deal that we should forget it as they are not ready to engage in any tussle with the immigration. They claimed theirs was issued straight from FRSC office but despite that we tried tracking and its saying invalid information even mine despite doing the data capture before leaving Nigeria.

On my own part, being the receiver, I fear having a bad record because I will be applying for SOWP for my wife to be very soon. I don’t want my applications rejected on bad record grounds. Yet I need the two guys to agree with me because if Cic wants to confirm from them and they deny out of fear, I will be in a big mess. Does number 2 have a bad effect on my record? If I refuse to make request for the seized document, will there be a bad record or can this affect my future applications? Please advise as I am having sleepless night already.

@fhemmy @justwise @onyeoma8 @siga @akanni @chrigo please advise i can't sleep
Re: Help Needed With Mail Seizure by bigtt76(f): 3:02am On Dec 16, 2015
First you need to find out if it is acceptable having identification documents such as driver's license sent via courier from abroad.

Secondly, knowing that the Nigerian driver's licence is biometric based, how were you guys able to acquire same in absentia?

The Nigerian driver's licence because of it's sophisticated nature is accepted in the US and by extension Canada which means the authorities are smelling foul and illegal intent by you guys.

Don't forget it's a wired system in Canada everyone and everything you do is recorded and replayed when needs arises.

I would advise you guys to own up to the package else it could be held against you guys. Also I would suggest having the CIC return the package or dispose them off on authorization by you guys.

A beg make una avoid anything like this when living outside Naija o undecided
Re: Help Needed With Mail Seizure by ifegy: 3:57am On Dec 16, 2015
It probably looked like identity theft in motion to the CIC. Unfortunately it mirrors the way criminals operate, whereby they end up collecting (illegally, of course) identity documents for many different people in order to carry out fraud, etc. Seeing as the parcel originated from Nigeria, that was a further red flag. You should definitely follow up with the CIC and do your utmost to clear things up, otherwise you may face further issues down the line with the CIC whenever next you have to deal with them. And you will need to deal with them in order to renew your study permit, get your post graduate work permit, get your permanent residency and your citizenship. Try to explain to the other guys that it really is in the best interest of all of you to resolve this, since you are all international students.
Re: Help Needed With Mail Seizure by cozybunch: 4:10am On Dec 16, 2015
epistlegcfr:

Hi,

I need your advice because I have a situation right now. I am an international graduate student currently studying in Canada. I went for a written driver’s examination. After the exam, I meet two guys that wrote the exam with me and we got talking. I informed them of my intentions to get my driver’s license sent to me from my country. Luckily they said they are actually planning the same. Since we are student of the same school and we are from the same country, one is even
from my department in the school we agreed to save cost by getting their own license sent to my brother and then my brother added mine. Making three licenses in a package all with different names and information. It was indicated on the waybill that the package contains 3 licenses no form of concealment or any foul play
So my brother sent it to me and we all contributed the money meant for the courier. But surprisingly, it was held. Instead of the license to be delivered by the courier, I got a notice of seizure mail from CIC with the description of the item seized being individual names, and date of birth on the licenses. And a message to the client which states that: If you want, your documents will be returned send your request by fax to the fax number of the officer below.

(1)It was stated beneath the filled form that item seized from international mail and courier service will be disposed off in accordance with the immigration and refugee protection regulations. Should you wish to discuss this matter you may contact the fax within 30days of seizure

(2)The information provided on this form is collected under the Authority of the immigration and refugee protection Act. It is protected by the privacy act and is accessible to you and will be stored in personal information bank number CIC Bleep 180.

(3) The notification states that it was held under immigration and protection act section 140: An officer may seize and hold any means of transportation, document or other thing if the officer believes on a reasonable ground that it was fraudulently or improperly obtained or used or that the seizure is necessary to prevent its fraudulent or improper use or to carry out the purposes of this Act.

Now, the other two guys involved are saying it is not a big deal that we should forget it as they are not ready to engage in any tussle with the immigration. They claimed theirs was issued straight from FRSC office but despite that we tried tracking and its saying invalid information even mine despite doing the data capture before leaving Nigeria.

On my own part, being the receiver, I fear having a bad record because I will be applying for SOWP for my wife to be very soon. I don’t want my applications rejected on bad record grounds. Yet I need the two guys to agree with me because if Cic wants to confirm from them and they deny out of fear, I will be in a big mess. Does number 2 have a bad effect on my record? If I refuse to make request for the seized document, will there be a bad record or can this affect my future applications? Please advise as I am having sleepless night already.

Canada do not accept drivers license from Nigeria. There are few countries in the world that are flaged by canadian government concerning certain documents such as drivers license which unfortunately nigeria is one of those countries.

I will advise send them your response via the fax information given, explaining the situation. There is no wrong doing if you got your license legitimately. The only thing is that you may or may not get it back. U.S allow nigerian drivers license but canada and new zealand has problems with that.

They will investigate the documents if there are foul play they will keep it and use it if need be. Most likely it will be destroyed after some time. You definitely need to respond on the issue not minding what your friends think about it

Good Luck
Re: Help Needed With Mail Seizure by Jengbetiele: 6:02am On Dec 16, 2015
Op if you go through this link you will see cases like your own even here in Nigeria

https://www.facebook.com/notes/federal-road-safety-corps-frsc-nigeria/verify-the-authenticity-of-your-new-drivers-licence/10152124093499965/
Where people had their license processed right inside FRSC office yet it is not authentic. It makes one doubt if anything would ever work in our country. Since you said you guys verified and it popped out invalid information, I will sincerely advise you not to go after that document. Because i believe they wont investigate right now because you have not claimed it or make a request. What raised a red flag is the fact that it is comming from Nigeria and also there are three licenses in one package as you said. If it were to be a matter of security concern or a criminal case trust me you will never receive a letter. You will see them knock on your door and you may be quizzed. Those dl are identity document and they do not joke with such here. All those law quoted isnt saying you have committed a crime. They are rather guiding against those document being used for fraudulent purpose. I will say this isnt a big issue and it should not affect any future application. It would have been a different case if you had same pictures or same name or same info on all those or if you were caught trying to hide those 3 in one. I would have advised you follow if those dl tracked on frsc website. Just forget about this and learn your lesson from it. You are not in Nigeria where anything goes and you should be careful of the people you roll with. Those guys are currently snoring now and you are here having slepless night. No friend for foreign land o!! Just you, your God and your studies
Re: Help Needed With Mail Seizure by dunk2011: 7:32am On Dec 16, 2015
Guy ... nothing will happen and it will not affect any record ...u can try to get it by contacting them ...and u can also let it go...same happened to a friend of my over there..
Now if it was drugs or aome kind of contraband. ..then u have to worry ... just dont do it again..or make sure u know rules and regulations

uote author=epistlegcfr post=41043539]
Hi,

I need your advice because I have a situation right now. I am an international graduate student currently studying in Canada. I went for a written driver’s examination. After the exam, I meet two guys that wrote the exam with me and we got talking. I informed them of my intentions to get my driver’s license sent to me from my country. Luckily they said they are actually planning the same. Since we are student of the same school and we are from the same country, one is even from my department in the school we agreed to save cost by getting their own license sent to my brother and then my brother added mine. Making three licenses in a package all with different names and information. It was indicated on the waybill that the package contains 3 licenses no form of concealment or any foul play

[/quote]

(1) (Reply)

4 Ways Travelling Helps Nigerians Succeed At Work / Please Help Someone Change Of Date Of Birth In E-passport / Obtaining Police Report On A Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.