Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,401 members, 7,836,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation (1225 Views)

Dieziani Loot: Jonathan Has Questions To Answer‎ – Festus Keyamo / N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari / Jonathan’s Camp Kicks Over 2019 PDP Zoning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:05am On Dec 16, 2015
Suspects opt to refund cash for freedom
North’s leaders may intervene

President Muhammadu Buhari and his
predecessor, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, may soon
meet over the mind- boggling revelations from
the arms cash probe.
Former National Security Adviser (NSA) Sambo
Dasuki, who is standing trial for alleged
misapplication and fraudulent disbursement of
over N31b meant for purchase of arms, has
alleged in his statement to the Economic and
Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) that all his
disbursements were approved by the ex-
President.
Sources said some associates of Dr. Jonathan
were arranging a private meeting between the
leaders to enable Jonathan “straighten out”
some things with the President.
The ex-President is believed to be desirous of
addressing some of the allegations in
confidence because he is not keen on speaking
publicly “so as not to heat up the polity”.
It was also gathered that the ex-President’s
camp noted that some of the N31billion cash
was sourced from “security votes and budget
for Special Services”.
“Jonathan will prefer a private audience with
the President rather than taking up issues with
the suspects in public. Some of the
expenditures have grave security implications
as they involve some neighbouring countries,”
a source said, adding:
“As a statesman, Jonathan cannot just open up
at all. For example, there is a unit where the
overhead of past Presidents and Heads of State
was taken care of. Some of the funds disbursed
by the office had to do with these funds. If
Jonathan speaks, will he not rubbish these past
leaders?
“Some Presidents from some countries sought
financial assistance from ex-President Goodluck
Jonathan. Do you expect the former leader to
issue a statement on such a sensitive request?”
The source spoke of how Nigeria bought
vehicles and some equipment for some
countries from the funds, adding that
diplomatic etiquette does not allow such a
disclosure.
“At a point, there was negotiation to end Boko
Haram insurgency. This type of deal cannot be
put in the public domain”, he said, pleading not
to be named because he is not permitted to
talk to the media.
Also yesterday, it was learnt that some of the
suspects facing trial may opt to return looted
funds and forfeit some assets in exchange for
freedom or light sentences.
It was also learnt that some leaders of the
North may prevail on President Buhari for soft-
landing for some of the suspects.
About N31billion has been traced to more than
nine suspects facing trial in Abuja courts.
Some of the suspects, according to sources
close to the investigations, are already
overwhelmed by the evidence against them
and would prefer the plea bargain option.
The suspects are said to have volunteered to
return the funds traced to them and their
cronies through phoney companies.
They are also said to be considering the plea
bargain option to save time and get lighter jail
terms where conviction becomes necessary.
The names of the suspects seeking plea bargain
were kept under wraps last night, but only a
former Minister of State for Finance, Alhaji
Bashir Yuguda, has indicated his willingness to
recover N600million out of the over N1billion
traced to him.
A source, who spoke in confidence, said:
“Despite the fact that most of the suspects
pleaded not guilty, some of them have been
considering plea bargain to get off the hook.
“Those affected have told the EFCC in
confidence that they want to return looted
funds and assets for outright state pardon or
lighter jail terms.
“These few ones seeking plea bargain said they
ought to regain freedom to retrieve funds
where they are stashed.
“In fact, one of the suspects said having
admitted that he had slush funds, there was
nothing to prove in court again.”
Last night, counsel to one of the key suspects
said: “I think there is a plea bargain offer by
some suspects. Some lawyers appearing in the
cases have been meeting to enable the nation
to get some of these funds back.
“These suspects would, however, prefer to
return funds and assets to the EFCC for outright
pardon.
“As I am talking to you, we have not reached
any conclusion on the terms of plea bargain to
be presented to the EFCC, which is prosecuting
all the suspects.”
Some elders, led by a former Secretary to the
Government of the Federation are said to be
pushing for soft landing for some of those on
trial.
The elders are said to be worried that most of
the suspects are from the North.
It was learnt that the elders had been under
pressure to save these key Northern figures on
trial.
But some of the elders, who are unsure of
President Buhari’s reaction, were said to have
met with presidential confidants.
There were plans last night for the elders to
have an audience with the President.
Another source said: “These elders want a plea
bargain alternative, which will lead to the
surrendering of all looted funds by the
suspects.
“Thereafter, an amicable political solution will
be reached to allow the suspects to go home
and sin no more. Alternatively, those with bad
cases can serve lighter jail terms.”
Source: thenationonlineng.net/n31b-loot-jonathans-camp-to-seek-talks-with-buhari/

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by likila: 5:07am On Dec 16, 2015
i thought they had all returned the money since.
Did shugabankasa buhari not say they gave the money to him?
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by prospero5(m): 5:09am On Dec 16, 2015
if these people are left off the hook, this will be the start of a routine. Even buhari will stash enough cash now only to return them and be pardoned if caught by the next government. Shame!
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Teryfik(m): 5:11am On Dec 16, 2015
Yawns....xo Borin

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by GudluckIBB(m): 5:14am On Dec 16, 2015
So jonathan's camp wants to meet Buhari..Interesting!!

I thought before now, they said nobody stole a dime and Buhari was "just" persecuting GEJ loyalists.

Anyway,onething that makes me very very happy now is the fact that Raymond Dokpesi is in kuje prison as I type this post.

5 Likes

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by LoveMachine(m): 5:14am On Dec 16, 2015
This is a nice story to start my day!

And by the way handie as long as you have that sig you'll get a like from me. May you live long and prosper my brother. Peace and blessings.

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:17am On Dec 16, 2015
Only a former Minister of State for Finance, Alhaji Bashir Yuguda, has indicated his willingness to recover N600million out of the over
N1billion
traced to him.
This man must be high on weed. 600 million out of over 1 Billion? Nah! Thanks we don't want such recovery. Return the entire 1 Billion.... With interest, forfeit all of your assets and we might just reduce ya sentence. There should be no political solution to this issue. To hell with northern elders and anyone who'll not want justice to be served to it's fullest. Those guys stole and nothing will satisfy me more than seizure of all their assets and a huge jail term. Infact I'll lose hope in d country if the sentences given to them is not @ par to those given to the common man. We don't just want funds returns.... While it was with them, those funds brought in more money(interest, profits etc). They should be made to vomit em all and woe betide any man who tries to defend these people who should be regarded as dregs of the Nigerian nation

5 Likes

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:18am On Dec 16, 2015
LoveMachine:
This is a nice story to start my day!

And by the way handie as long as you have that sig you'll get a like from me. May you live long and prosper my brother. Peace and blessings.
Peace and blessings to u too my brother. Compliments of d season

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by ionsman: 5:19am On Dec 16, 2015
If Buhari is really serious about this whole corruption thing,he better not give in to all these(that's if they are true). We need scapegoats and we need them now. He shouldn't send out a wrong signal because these people have caused pain to so many Nigerians through their actions.

A common man won't be given soft landing when he steals, I see no reasons why politicians should get preferential treatment even though it has always been the norm.

BUHARI WE ARE WATCHING!
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:22am On Dec 16, 2015
likila:
The year is almost ended. U developing some sense before the year end won't be a bad idea.
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Bugatie(m): 5:25am On Dec 16, 2015
Even Buhari will be more interested in such meeting since his name has also been mentioned as one of the beneficiaries

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by GudluckIBB(m): 5:25am On Dec 16, 2015
likila:

You want to be funny like a comedian, but you didn't make sense

You also want to type hate speech, unfortunately, you messed your self up!

Its a pity!

3 Likes

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by funlord(m): 5:28am On Dec 16, 2015
grin
Otueke talks! Abi fear don enter body!!!
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Nobody: 5:32am On Dec 16, 2015
Let there be sanity in the government at least, if that is the only thing you can achieve, please I will be grateful. By the time you leave office and another president from KOWA party is in power, your tenure too will be probed. That way, everybody strive at least to be on their toes.

I hope that after dasuki-gate, we are returning to diezanni-gate, the biggest of all the 'gates' ever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:36am On Dec 16, 2015
“Thereafter, an amicable political solution will
be reached to allow the suspects to go home
and sin no more.
Bode George was also told to go and sin no more. Ya'll know the end of his story..... Well, he only collected 30,000 US dollars not 100 million Naira
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by handie(m): 5:38am On Dec 16, 2015
GudluckIBB:

Anyway,onething that makes me very very happy now is the fact that Raymond Dokpesi is in kuje prison as I type this post.

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Mjshexy(f): 5:51am On Dec 16, 2015
A big NO to that, who are these useless elders seeking for plea bargain, do they realize that many innocent civilians & soldiers have been killed as a result of this looting, how can a common man steal 10,000 naira & be given life imprisonment whereas these rogues steal billions & then return a percentage of it and just walk home free. That is not fair at all, justice must be served deservedly...
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Sanchez01: 5:52am On Dec 16, 2015
If we say Jonathan is not only clueless but stûpid, some Ekpas would keenly contest it. You can imagine dashing neighbouring countries monies to buy weapons and vehicles when our soldiers were given water gun to confront Boko Haram! Jonathan had better come out publicly to talk so that the whole Nigeria would know how he and his cronies got so confused and chose to play with Nigeria's monies instead of playing with sands and feeding bottles.

And to those stùpid, annoying, slow walking peacocks who call themselves "Northern leadersl, they'd better sit in their mini-thrones with their under aged concubines while the law plays its part. So far, we're good with the way the scenes are playing out.

There would be no soft landing for any crook, not in this Nigeria. Just few weeks ago, a petty thief was sentenced to death for stealing 14,000 (fourteen thousand naira) and these ones who have single-handedly finished Nigeria want to get a soft landing. I sincerely want to believe whoever wrote this article was idle as at "press time" and chose to mess with the Nigerian populace.

2 Likes

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Ghandi12: 5:53am On Dec 16, 2015
handie:
This man must be high on weed. 600 million out of over 1 Billion? Nah! Thanks we don't want such recovery. Return the entire 1 Billion.... With interest, forfeit all of your assets and we might just reduce ya sentence. There should be no political solution to this issue. To hell with northern elders and anyone who'll not want justice to be served to it's fullest. Those guys stole and nothing will satisfy me more than seizure of all their assets and a huge jail term. Infact I'll lose hope in d country if the sentences given to them is not @ par to those given to the common man. We don't just want funds returns.... While it was with them, those funds brought in more money(interest, profits etc). They should be made to vomit em all and woe betide any man who tries to defend these people who should be regarded as dregs of the Nigerian nation

My brother many people feel as you do but reality is difficult to change. Not all accused of corruption will escape jail - some of them who are destined to go to jail for corruption will sooner or later work-their-way to jail.

One of sad reality of our nation today is that it is difficult to jail a "big man" and maintain him in a Nigerian prison. Dokpesi was just one day in prison and the whole prison was unsettled. Imagine what will happen if all accused of corruption are sent to jails. The will just form another republic in jail and probably come for us later.

1 Like

Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by infogenius(m): 6:14am On Dec 16, 2015
The funny thing is that all
these stories will fizzle
out in no time and nothing
will be heard about it any
longer
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by ikubch(m): 6:37am On Dec 16, 2015
Utter nonsense. What do you mean by jonathan's camp. It is known as obstruction of justice and in sane climes, it is a grave offence. What a camp?
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Nobody: 6:55am On Dec 16, 2015
You mean Dr. Fortunato wants to confess undecided
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by OlujobaSamuel: 7:10am On Dec 16, 2015
corruption? e no get tribe or religion. if true, I call it the regrouping of partners. the southern camp and northern camp. PMB/PYO, u beta no try nonsensical nonsense.
I believe in you.
Re: N31b Loot: Jonathan’s Camp To Seek Talks With Buhari- The Nation by Viktor1983(m): 3:03pm On Dec 16, 2015
All Join

(1) (Reply)

Unofficial Results From Bayelsa Supplementary Election / June 2012 - Gov Fashola Indicts Lai Muhammeds Knightsbridge For Illegal Dredging / PDP New Media Director On The Run

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.