Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,290 members, 7,829,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:14 AM

May I Not Make Your Heaven - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / May I Not Make Your Heaven (599 Views)

'Even In Heaven You Are Still A Sailor'; Friends Mourn Death Of Soldier. Photos / Why Are Nigerians Always Angry With The Question 'please May I Know You?' / Photo: May I Locate My Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

May I Not Make Your Heaven by Hidentity(m): 10:10am On Dec 16, 2015
Some days back, I read about the brutal treatment of a section of the Muslims by some Nigerian soldiers, even around their boss. This piece is not to look into the issue like most writers did already. From the ubiquitous perspective, more deft writers already did justice to the issue, even better than I'll ever do in my lifetime. Like all men, I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but I am certain of what it should bring. However, the latter certainty is morphing to uncertainties right before my eyes. I believe that we can all see it, but we just deny it. Or perhaps, nobody cares-as long as it doesn't seal off our kiosks at the hustling avenue. How many of such incident do we need to become the human we are meant to be?

This piece may be offensive. Both virtual and live friends may be offended because I've caught many in this habit on several occasions- prioritising the dictates of religion at the expense of common sense. For those who can stomach the reality beyond the shallow teachings of inimical religious doctrines, it is good. For those who can't, do yourself good by unfriending and blocking me. I cannot change on this philosophy, because I have no choice on the voice of my conscience. The first comment that drew my attention was that of a Muslim who wrote that 'Shiites are not true Muslims and that they deserved the killing'. Wait! It used to be a divide between Muslims and Christians, but now our house is divided against itself, and guess what? You and I, irrespective of where we stand, shall sink if nothing is done.

Before now, I used to think that the insanity of doctrinal differences is peculiar to Christians- Methodist against Redeem, Deeper life against Celestial, Anglican against Catholic, Baptist against Seventh day Adventist etc. It is a shame, that for the sake of robust tithes and personal aggrandisement, our churches can go as far as striking unhealthy balances. Years back, it was the impossibility of marriage between a Muslim and a Christian, today, it has grown worse- things cannot work between a member of Deeper life and and a member of Rhema. Religion is bigger than love and conviction! So, all of a sudden, Muslims are against Muslims too based on doctrinal differences. We are in trouble! The blood of a Redeem member is only precious to another Redeem member and the life of a Shiite Muslim is worthless in the eyes of a non-Shiite Muslim. Do we still hold that God decreed this?

Poor leadership has been identified as the cause of our national troubles, but do you pay attention to your Pastors and Imams? They are leaders too. Do you apply common sense to what you hear from them at all? I mean that when an Imam tells you to vote for a Muslim at the expense of a competent Christian, do you ever pause to remind him that the affairs of Nigeria or your state is not a religious affair? A Church or Mosque by their supposed 'original' nature should be a place for the weak, the poor and people who are sincerely sober to seek peace with God and then men, now it is not. Your pastors come with security personnel and you can't even have access to your chief Imam. I have no issue with that, but it is becoming terrible that their teachings are enslaving common sense and birthing madness. It is even alarming that the madness is more dominant among the youths.

To hell with religion! To hell with a religion that decrees that you attend church or mosque and leave a sick person at home. Damn a religion that teaches us our neighbours are doomed for hell because they are not in our line. Damn a religion that tells us to ignore competence and choose based on religious affiliations. Damn a religion that places the words of their books ahead of the good of humanity. Damn keepers of faith and religion that buy jets on the accumulation of the widow's mite, while the widow's mattress remains bug-ridden. Damn your church for building universities that its members cannot afford. Damn your Imam for telling you the greatest thing that will happen to any man is being a Muslim. No, it is not- the greatest is being a human who will never lose his humane part regardless of any diversity on the part of the other person. Damn those who take your tithe and lie to you that your gain is in heaven. No, your gain starts here. It is like this: the hungry man you feed is a gain for you, the naked soul you clothe is a gain, it is a reward for you when you open your door for the homeless. I won't pay my tithe to watch my pastor grow fat while I manage to kill the humanity in me by ignoring the hunger written on this lad's face. My tithe goes to the poor, the old, the jobless and the sick. I choose to ignore that imaginative heaven created by the greed of your pastors and Imams. My heaven is in using my youthful strength to wrestle a space in the bus for an old man who is headed for his house, not to wrestle a place from him to make a crusade or a 'Tajud'.

If you can walk by one or two masjids and not stop by to pray because you've not gotten to your masjid, you are part of this problem. If you can turn deaf ears to sermon in other churches and not drop by to worship because you've not gotten to your church, you are a threat. If there is heaven, it is not the type that your pastors and Imams create in your subconscious mind- heaven is not meant for Christians, it meant for humans who do not turn deaf ears to the cry of the needy. Al-Janah is not an exclusive abode of pious Muslims, it is meant for people whose conscience were not sold out at the expense of truth. If there is hell, it is meant for the types of Christians who abhor Muslims and other Christians. It is meant for Pastors whose jets can be used for Ministry while church members languish in hunger. If there is hell, it is for Muslims who support the killing of Shiites. It is for Muslims who are nonchalant about the plight of non-Muslims. It is for a Muslim who is 'proud to be a Muslim, rather than being a humane human'. Our first move to curb this menace will be to break loose of the shackles of outrageous religious principles. We should realize that marriage is for love and not religion. That we are here not to worship a Pastor or Imam all in the name of God. That humanity comes first before religion, and that injustice to a Muslim is injustice to everybody.

I have an idea of what the current set of keepers of faith and religion portray heaven to be- a place for regular tithe payers, a place for dogmatic Christians and Muslims who are fanatics, a place for the rich men who would ignore the leaking roof of their poor neighbours and donate millions to the Church. Yes, heaven to them is a place for looters who can share his loots with the Church or Mosque even when the masses live in penury. The whole idea of heaven has been reconfigured to mean a place meant for people who will still give out cars to a religious leader who has enough already. Heaven is for those who can memorise all the verses of the Bible or Quran, even when they can't commit basic principles of kindness to heart. Heaven is meant for the ones who can spend hours in the Church or Mosque, but still go out to join in lynching a thief. That is your heaven! But I am certain, I won't just make your heaven, because I am not a qualified candidate of your heaven.

3 Likes

Re: May I Not Make Your Heaven by tobex23(m): 10:21am On Dec 16, 2015
lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

A / The Haram In The Boko : The Story Of Terror And The Nigerian Army. / Which Nigerian Artiste Has The Highest Endorsements..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.