Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria (15517 Views)

Mistakes Most Online Shoppers In Nigeria Make And How To Avoid Them. / 16 Reasons Why Many Businesses Fail And How To Avoid Them / Why Small Businesses Fail In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by importexpert(m): 2:05pm On Dec 16, 2015
As you are aspiring to start your online or offline business, it is important you read this article. i was so disappointed when i read a research carried out by an international U.S based organization (S.B.A small business administration) on the percentage of online business that fails. they revealed that about 80% of online businesses fails within the first year and this made me to carry out a little research on why such business fail in Nigeria and how to avoid such failures.

Online businesses should be treated very much the same like a real offline business. If you were to start a Barbing saloon, shoe making, tailoring, baking etc, what would you do? What mindset do you need? With the wrong mindset, you are setting up your online business for failure.

With the hype that people have been getting on the internet, many have come to believe that millions can be earned overnight without any effort. Sure, you can earn a lot of money online; but not overnight. Those who have "overnight" success with one project, be it sealing an importation deal, website design or programing project, had to learn and practice over some period of time before they learned how to earn huge money faster.

So, if you're serious about becoming rich making money through the net, you must first avoid the top reasons why online businesses fail:

1) Information Overload: The internet is an intricate network of massive information highways. If you've been searching for the key to online success for quite some time now, chances are you already read a massive amount of data and information that most probably has led you to confusion. It's difficult to sift through the pages and pages of reading materials and find one that would really give you the step-by-step guide to start giving you sizable monthly income online.

2) Lack of Focus: The problem with so many websites promising you huge amount of income opportunities, people end up jumping from one thing to another. Will you go for blogging? Affiliate marketing? Importation? There are just so many ways to make money online. My advice: just get something done. Start with one and make some money before you move to the next.

3) No Goal: Whether you're doing your business online or offline, having your goal is one solid foundation to determine whether you will succeed or fail. Not knowing where you're going will definitely lead you nowhere. Guaranteed.

4) No Compelling Reason to Succeed: How many times have you set a goal and then just forget it? Why are you setting that particular goal? You want to earn N300,000 within 3 months and improve that by N100,000 every month until you reach N1,000,000 per month? Great! But the question is why? Is it for your education? Is that for your marriage celebration? Is it because you need to set aside N200,000 per month for your long term care? Or to help your needy relatives and neighbors?

5) Lack of Patience: With the instant coffee, instant downloads and all the instant gratification society has spoiled us with, people got accustomed to "I-get-what-I-want-NOW!" Success is never overnight. You need to pay the price. We can't get away from the Law of Sowing and Reaping. You will always reap what you planted. But you have to give the seeds time to grow and be nurtured properly by the sun.

It's a blessing that while we need to put in some work doing online business, it is actually much less and simpler than you can imagine if you have a guiding compass like me that shows you the does and don't s.

All you need to start is to know the basics. You need an easy to follow guide that shows you how to do online business by simply connecting the dots, and you can avoid the pitfalls of online business and eventually achieve great success.

i hope you enjoyed reading this article and feel free to ask me your questions regarding online businesses and especially online importation. your success is truly my pride.

for those copy cat that must copy this article, please link it back to Nairaland, importExpert and this thread.

cc: Lalasticlala

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Ahmed4002(m): 2:48pm On Dec 16, 2015
Thank you Mr Ahmed
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Atmmachine(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
The only reason why online businesses is dead in Nigeria is because our government is corrupt.
They don't wanna develop our country so that foreign investors and the citizens will have the platform to start and have a successful online business.

3 Likes

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by viviangist3: 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
grin
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by jameeljega(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
Space booked☹
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Viktor1983(m): 2:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
Following
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by buzquet(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
G
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by pneumaticos(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Talking from experince

Last one....budget
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Importguru(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by leoweblinkblog(m): 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Listening
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Instant Noodles has made everybody Lazy.
See as this Nairalander eating Indomie below is busy browsing how to make one million in a bit without getting out to work.

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by ibietela2(m): 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2015
K
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by just2endowed: 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2015
nice reason. well detailed.

Guys check out Power banks and SD cards on my thread
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
Rent + Weak legislation + Government policies + Poor training + Poor Salary + Poor Welfare + GSM companies embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by ProfKen(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
lol... no money for advert too nah, e.g facebook and paying for front page also.........................u know what i mean? Gerarahere... siebapua...lol
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Smartsyn(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
6: High cost of data bundle in Nigeria.
Just go to Spectranet, they will explain better.
7: Inadequate power supply.
Do I need to talk much on this, isn't it obvious.

4 Likes

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by ultrazone(m): 2:56pm On Dec 16, 2015
nnn
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by maz1(m): 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
I was blind nw I can see. No wonder my businesses no blow. Ori e pe bobo yii
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Madeb: 2:57pm On Dec 16, 2015
9ce 1
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by FagsamPHP(m): 2:59pm On Dec 16, 2015
k
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by Ucheosefoh(m): 3:00pm On Dec 16, 2015
Thank you op remain blessed
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by jidez007: 3:05pm On Dec 16, 2015
nice
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by AreaFada2: 3:05pm On Dec 16, 2015
ok
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by importexpert(m): 3:12pm On Dec 16, 2015
Feel free to ask questions if you have any.
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by importexpert(m): 3:15pm On Dec 16, 2015
Ahmed4002:
Thank you Mr Ahmed
thanks my bro.
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by WafiJoe(m): 3:16pm On Dec 16, 2015
for sale
Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by importexpert(m): 3:19pm On Dec 16, 2015
Atmmachine:
The only reason why online businesses is dead in Nigeria is because our government is corrupt.
They don't wanna develop our country so that foreign investors and the citizens will have the platform to start and have a successful online business.

guy keep government out of this and step up. If akin alabi, seun, linda n their likes were to wait for gov, i wonder how long they will wait.

1 Like

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by liveyourlife: 3:21pm On Dec 16, 2015
importexpert:

guy keep government out of this and step up. If akin alabi, seun, linda n their likes were to wait for gov, i wonder how long they will wait.

Abeg no talk like that. There is a reason why Silicon Valley exists today. The Govt. Supported innovation. Period.

Most of the time, you live in a country and work your ass off without achieving anything. But move to another country and watch that your little hard-work blossom because of the supporting environment.

An Analogy:
Many years ago, in sec school, i once accosted a little boy and wanted to give him a knock on his head because my gf was there. She stopped me and we began discussing with the boy. On further inquiry, we discovered that this very small boy was 12 yrs old. The reason for his littleness? Stunted growth of course caused by poverty. We therefore gave him some money and he ran off to get himself something.

NairaLand is stunted. Its mate is Reddit. Look at them now. Because of the environment. LindaIkeji's mate is Mashable, ParezHilton et.c but you cant compare right?

There is a reason a great man recently once said "If you want to make it, move to America".

But what can we do? We will keep on managing where God gave us. Nigeria.

Make your elected Representative in the Houses responsive. Talk to your Rep. in the House and tell them what you want. Click here to start talking.....

8 Likes

Re: The Reasons Why Most Online Businesses Fail In Nigeria by twosquare(m): 3:22pm On Dec 16, 2015
Apart from those, two things are paramount: Lack of adequate power supply, expensive Internet access with ISPs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

*URGENT URGENT* fashion retail merchandising FOR NEW STORES ACCROSS NIGERIA / Customs Shutdown NAHCO And SAHCOL Warehouses, any One Knows Anything Pls Share / Another First As Firstbank’s Payment Card Hits 10 Million In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.